Time Warner Cable HDTV - Page 288 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not sure what's taking the TWC San Diego division so long to add NHL Network, but didn't NHL Network have some sort of national carriage agreement with Time Warner?

And the FOUL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just air the OAR of HD movies and I'll be a happy camper!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc View Post

Strangley, (for me at least), the Weather Channel HD (1418) seems to currently be mapped to the Tennis Channel HD. I assume this will be corrected by 11/3.

Seems to be fine now.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
November 1, 2011 12:36pm ET | By Steve Donohue

Less than a week after reporting that it lost 128,000 video subscribers in the third quarter, Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) is beginning to notify customers in the Northeast that it will hike video subscription fees by about 4.29 percent in December.

About half of the company's subscribers in the Northeast won't see rate increases since they have promotional bundle packages, spokesman Justin Venech told FierceCable. "For those not in these packages, the 4.29 percent increase affects only the cable charges and not charges for Internet, phone or security," he added.

Venech said the increased subscription fees reflect higher programming costs. He also noted that Time Warner is investing in new advanced products such as its Look Back and Start Over features for digital cable subscribers, and an app the company has developed for Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL) iPad.

Time Warner Cable face stiff competition from Verizon's (NYSE: VZ) FiOS TV in the Northeast. One of its biggest challenges is finding a way to pay increased programming costs to carry networks like ESPN while offering competitive pricing packages.

For more:
- the Syracuse Post-Standard has this story
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/tim...r-4/2011-11-01
Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Seems to be fine now.

Still Tennis Channel (on ch#1418) here in NC. Wacky.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Still Tennis Channel (on ch#1418) here in NC. Wacky.

It's fine in Charlotte. I'm sure they will fix it by the 3rd.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

Time Warner Cable face stiff competition from Verizon's (NYSE: VZ) FiOS TV in the Northeast. One of its biggest challenges is finding a way to pay increased programming costs to carry networks like ESPN while offering competitive pricing packages.

Here's an idea for Time Warner: STOP CARRYING ESPN. Disney's networks now account for at least $10 of your monthly cable bill. From ESPN eating up 5 bucks, ESPN2 taking $2, Disney Channel taking $1, and all the other little ESPN spin-offs, ABCs, and Disneys, you're looking at at least $10 Time Warner is increasing your bill by just to carry a handful of Disney's networks.

If Disney wants to play hardball and threaten to withhold their channels if Time Warner forces ESPN off the basic package, I say let them. With the million HD cable sports channels now I don't see the point of ESPN. ABC Family? There's nothing special here either. Disney Channel/Disney XD/etc? Well, it'll suck to lose it, but between Sprout, Nickelodeon and its various spin-offs, The Hub, and Cartoon Network, there's plenty of content for the kids making Disney Channel no longer necessary.

Dish Network hasn't gone bankrupt fighting Disney, and neither will Time Warner. If they don't do it though, they certainly will keep hemorrhaging subscribers and lose their multichannel video business.

Other culprits responsible for your massive cable bill include News Corporation, demanding a 40% rate hike this year on all their networks. I for one can live without Murdoch's right-wing propaganda and National Geographic's incredibly obnoxious bright yellow 720p logo spam at obscenely low bitrates.

Give me Viacom, A&E Networks, and Discovery Communications' networks, lower my cable bill by $20, and boot Disney and News Corporation out on their asses and I'll be happy.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Not sure what's taking the TWC San Diego division so long to add NHL Network, but didn't NHL Network have some sort of national carriage agreement with Time Warner?

TWC carries the NHL Network in almost all of the Texas systems with SDV except for the former Comcast systems in North Texas(Dallas metro) and Greenville/Commerce(TWC's only Northeast Texas cable system). Oh by the way did I mention that dallas has an NHL team!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

Here's an idea for Time Warner: STOP CARRYING ESPN. Disney's networks now account for at least $10 of your monthly cable bill. From ESPN eating up 5 bucks, ESPN2 taking $2, Disney Channel taking $1, and all the other little ESPN spin-offs, ABCs, and Disneys, you're looking at at least $10 Time Warner is increasing your bill by just to carry a handful of Disney's networks.

If Disney wants to play hardball and threaten to withhold their channels if Time Warner forces ESPN off the basic package, I say let them. With the million HD cable sports channels now I don't see the point of ESPN. ABC Family? There's nothing special here either. Disney Channel/Disney XD/etc? Well, it'll suck to lose it, but between Sprout, Nickelodeon and its various spin-offs, The Hub, and Cartoon Network, there's plenty of content for the kids making Disney Channel no longer necessary.

Dish Network hasn't gone bankrupt fighting Disney, and neither will Time Warner. If they don't do it though, they certainly will keep hemorrhaging subscribers and lose their multichannel video business.

Other culprits responsible for your massive cable bill include News Corporation, demanding a 40% rate hike this year on all their networks. I for one can live without Murdoch's right-wing propaganda and National Geographic's incredibly obnoxious bright yellow 720p logo spam at obscenely low bitrates.

Give me Viacom, A&E Networks, and Discovery Communications' networks, lower my cable bill by $20, and boot Disney and News Corporation out on their asses and I'll be happy.

Theres a reason why the parent companies of ESPN & Fox News Channel can charge what they want. Because people actually watch those channels. ESPN & Fox News Channel also seem to garner some of the highest ratings out of any of the cable channels out there. If those channels weren't in such high demand then nobody would watch or care about those channels and the parent companies of those channels would lose leverage to demand these increases.

And the FOUL!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Despite some of our angers over NFL Network, TWC/BHN does give us the HD.

With BHN Orlando, we have gotten a good chunk this year.

FS Detroit HD, FS Wisconsin HD, SportSouth HD, Prime Ticket HD, OWN HD, Encore HD, Encore West HD, Tru TV HD, Reelz Channel HD, HBO HD OD, Cinemax HD OD, FearNet HD, Movie Pass HD OD, Lifetime HD, Oxygen HD, TV Guide Network HD, Galavision HD, Fox Deportes HD, ESPN Deportes HD, Bloomberg HD, Game 3-9 HD, Team 2-9 HD, GMC HD, Fox Movie Channel HD (Re-Announced for Dec 14).

That's a steady amount and I think it will keep coming.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

Theres a reason why the parent companies of ESPN & Fox News Channel can charge what they want. Because people actually watch those channels. ESPN & Fox News Channel also seem to garner some of the highest ratings out of any of the cable channels out there. If those channels weren't in such high demand then nobody would watch or care about those channels and the parent companies of those channels would lose leverage to demand these increases.

Can't watch 'em if you can't afford 'em!

With Time Warner's basic digital cable now pushing past $80 a month, it's either kill off these channels charging a fortune and drop everyone's bill by at least $20 or watch as their multichannel video model goes the way of dial-up.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got a note that our monthly bill is going to go up, $5 for the bundled service and $1 for the DVR. Said it is because of increased programming costs and additional services, specifically Look Back and Start Over. But those services aren't available here.

I asked Online Chat how to use those services, and they said I should push Select and then Enhanced Menu, and something about the C button. But we don't have any of those on the Motorola boxes. They suggested calling back during the day, and I will.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry scorpiontail60, there's going to be a cable tv bubble that's going to burst in the near future. Don't know when, but something will give. I wouldn't be surprised in the coming future that there will be internet pay tv companies where people have not but a single package, but a la carte programming.

And the FOUL!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

Gameshow Network HD, Hub HD, Starz Kids & Family, Showtime Extreme are now launched and in the guide in Wisconsin.

This comes in addition to OWN HD, Oxygen HD, YES HD, and NESN HD added a month ago, and

TruTV HD, Lifetime HD, DIY HD, Cooking Channel HD, Crime & Investigation HD, National Geographic Wild HD, and Fox Soccer Channel Plus HD added in July. That's 16 HD channels added this year.

If there's one thing I have to complain about Time Warner, it's certainly not this. They got their asses in gear with HD channel additions this year and I really appreciate it. Here's hoping that 2012 continues to be a fruitful year for HD additions and they keep porting over HD channels from their NYC market as well as acquiring new ones there. I'd like to see them work on bringing over the C-SPANs in HD now.

I also see that they are still in negotiations with Sprout - now would be a great time to negotiate for carriage of the high definition feed.

I am happy for the most part with TWC and am in Wisconsin. We do get some SDV issues for a day or so before new channels are added. My biggest complaints are the lack of modern features on the Navigator guide. (Although a new search system is coming.) and the rate increases.

I don't know if ala-cate pricing would work or not, because everyone would think that the channels that they like are a top priority. With pricing, you might wind up paying just a little less, for a lot less. A LOT LESS.

I like Digital Phone and Road Runner the best of the TWC services. Video service is just ok. I do like the selection of HD channels though! We have more HD than Dish Network or Direct TV btw.

Jack

SA-8300HDC DVR with TWC Navigator Guide
Guide Version -ODN 7.3
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

Just got a note that our monthly bill is going to go up, $5 for the bundled service and $1 for the DVR. Said it is because of increased programming costs and additional services, specifically Look Back and Start Over. But those services aren't available here.

I asked Online Chat how to use those services, and they said I should push Select and then Enhanced Menu, and something about the C button. But we don't have any of those on the Motorola boxes. They suggested calling back during the day, and I will.

I'm in the Dallas area and I was told by several people there at TWC that you can only get Look Back and Start Over if you have the Whole Home DVR Service. I dont know if thats true or not but thats what I was told, and after I got a call back from a guy that said he was a supervisor, and he gave me a $20 credit on my bill and said I could watch some movies for free for all the confusion I had been put thru I just said OK and took the credit. It's so hard to get an answer out of them because the calls always go over to Mexico City when I call and they read from scripts. Only when I try to cancel service do I get someone in Texas to talk to.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

Funny. I wonder how long they are going to keep trotting out those two old features to justify their price rises? They've used those as an excuse two years straight here. Next year it will be the cost of developing an iPad app.

Don't take the price hike. Call the customer retention speciailist and say you are planning to switch to DirecTV unless they drop your bill.

http://stopthecap.com/2011/01/31/whe...-warner-cable/

Mine's $50 cheaper than it was this time last year ...

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post

I'm in the Dallas area and I was told by several people there at TWC that you can only get Look Back and Start Over if you have the Whole Home DVR Service. I dont know if thats true or not but thats what I was told, and after I got a call back from a guy that said he was a supervisor, and he gave me a $20 credit on my bill and said I could watch some movies for free for all the confusion I had been put thru I just said OK and took the credit. It's so hard to get an answer out of them because the calls always go over to Mexico City when I call and they read from scripts. Only when I try to cancel service do I get someone in Texas to talk to.

You don't have to have whole house for those features.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNINE View Post

You don't have to have whole house for those features.

Then what do you have to do to get them? It's available here in the Dallas area now, just not on my system and I have 3 new DVR's.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

When your on a channel that has those features just hit select once, on the upper left hand corner you should see your choices. Another thing when you go to a channel- say NBC hit Info it should say enhanced TV. If your not seeing this maybe your box or software isn't capable . The DVR has nothing to do with of these services.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 502
Quote:

Then what do you have to do to get them? It's available here in the Dallas area now, just not on my system and I have 3 new DVR's.

Go to the TWC site and see which few channels those services are available on.

Chances are they won't be on any channels you actually watch. They are rarely active on HD channels and since you are in the HDTV forum I'm guessing you will never come across those channels or actually want to use the services.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:28 AM

I went thru all that with TWC. They told me about the SD channels and all that. They even directed me to a video of how its supposed to look, but nothing ever shows up on mine. I'm thinking that they all have their stories mixed up and no one really knows there and it may not even be out here yet in Dallas. It shows on their website it is, and they say it is when you call, and they tell me the story about "oh you need the WH DVR for that" and I just give up with them at that point.

I guess I can live without it for now, but thank you anyways for your help.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have HD? Which Channels are you trying to see. In NYC NBC Ch 4 is SD non HD, Ch 704 is NBC-HD. Sometimes it's as simple as your connections. is everything hooked up right The web site hasn't helped me at all, you should be able to see if you have the service but can't access it.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

The Nov 3 HD additions are up (but not in the guide yet). You can get to them by going directly to the channel number and/or set them up as a favorite:

1311 G4 HD
1353 Cooking Channel
1356 DIY
1418 Weather Channel

Strangley, (for me at least), the Weather Channel HD (1418) seems to currently be mapped to the Tennis Channel HD. I assume this will be corrected by 11/3.

They are in the Guide now for me. I think every channel I ever tune in is now HD.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Where is Ent on demand? HD/SD.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Where is Ent on demand? HD/SD.

Looks like they made a bunch of OD changes...HD Showcase has been integrated into Entertainment on Demand (don't know your channels where you are...for me it's 1402). They also combined Primetime OD and Primetime HD OD into one channel, which was confusing at first.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glad to see all the replies. Thanks.

After talking to five people at TWC they decided I must need a new box (I thought the one I had was the most current). They said I could bring it in to swap or have a tech come out. Since I didn't believe them I said send a tech.

Late that day the local tech supervisor called when he was working on the schedule and said that my DVR does not support the feature and that I could swap the box myself because if they did it there would be a charge. Since he was actually calling from Plano and was familiar with the problem I do believe him. My wife is in the process of clearing out her recordings and I've made a list of our series recordings. I'll swap the box as soon as she tells me it is OK.

She does watch the Food Network a lot and that is one of the channels that is supposed to support the features, so it will be useful.

As frustrating as it always is to call them, I should add that everyone I spoke to at TWC was polite and tried hard to help. Just wish their system told them what to do for the equipment I actually have installed, and wish they had notified those of us that needed to upgrade that we should do so.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Do you have HD? Which Channels are you trying to see. In NYC NBC Ch 4 is SD non HD, Ch 704 is NBC-HD. Sometimes it's as simple as your connections. is everything hooked up right The web site hasn't helped me at all, you should be able to see if you have the service but can't access it.

Yes I have the whole 9 yards except for the ones like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax. I always watch the HD channels because I have HD TV's but they gave me a list of SD channels to look on because it was available on those, and then they pointed me to a video on their website to look at. I'm just not getting it piped into my house, so I'm not sure what the deal is.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

MSO Still Engaged in Legal Battle With Viacom
By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 11/3/2011 9:16:27 PM

Time Warner Cable is going grande with its iPad app, adding 37 Spanish-language channels for subscribers of its Hispanic programming tiers, even as the MSO's battle with Viacom over the tablet application remains unresolved.

The new Hispanic channels are available on the iPad at no additional charge to Time Warner Cable video customers who subscribe to those channels, including El Paquetazo digital cable subscribers, varying by region. The app provides access to live TV only within a subscriber's home over a Wi-Fi connection.

TWC already offered Galavision, Gol TV, History en Español, La Familia Cosmovision and Mun2.

As of Thursday, the operator has added the following networks: EWTN Español, La Familia, Discovery Español, CNN Español, Cinelatino, Discovery Familia, Sorpresa, Canal Sur, Boomerang Español, TVE Internacional, Utilisima, Disney XD Español, Video Rola, Once TV Mexico, Mexico 22, Latele Novelas (Olympusat), Cine Mexicano (Olympusat), Multimedios TV, ViendoMovies, Caracol, CBTV (Mexico Michocanos), TV Colombia, Escuavisa Internacional, Canal 24 Horas, HITN Hispanic, TV Dominicana, WAPA America, Telemicro Channel, Sur Mexico (Mexico TV), AYM Sports, TV Chile Olympusat, CentroAmerica TV, Latinoamerica TV, Sur Peru Channel, TeleFórmula, TV Venezuela and TBN Enlace.

"We are tremendously proud to be able to provide such a significant expansion in our Spanish-language channel offering for our iPad app," Time Warner Cable chief marketing officer of residential services Jeffrey Hirsch said in a statement. "This is a big step forward in our commitment to offering the best possible entertainment experience to our customers."

Not all programmers are on board with Time Warner Cable's iPad app. Viacom sued TWC in April over the service, and on Wednesday the media company filed motions seeking to dismiss the MSO's complaint that Viacom violated its agreement with respect to CMT. Time Warner Cable had asserted that CMT no longer primarily comprises country-music programming and therefore violated a "content clause" in the 2004 carriage deal.

Time Warner Cable's El Paquetazo tier is available to subscribers in New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Los Angeles and San Diego. The package offers more than 140 English and Spanish-language channels including news, music, entertainment, sports and family programming as well as Lo Mejor On Demand.

The latest version of the TWCable TV app, version 2.5, provides remote control features; the ability to program and manage DVRs; search; parental control; and closed captioning.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...o_iPad_App.php
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

As a result of impasse, TWC may pull Comedy Central, MTV and more Viacom channels from its cable dial.

November 3 8:35 AM PDT 11/3/2011 by Eriq Gardner

The dispute between Viacom and Time Warner over streamed content of cable channels including MTV and Comedy Central on iPads is not over. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Over the summer, the conflict seemed to be heading towards resolution after the parties reached a "standstill agreement" to pause litigation in an effort to come to a settlement, but talks broke down. In fact, the dispute has become so heated that Time Warner Cable is now threatening to cancel its affiliation agreement with Viacom, pull channels from its system, and cease paying significant license fees.

Here's how this controversy, which seemed on the edge of peace, has suddenly taken a sharp turn for the ugly.

In April, the two companies filed dueling lawsuits against each other after TWC launched an iPad app allowing its subscribers to watch TV on a mobile device. TWC pulled Viacom channels after getting a cease-and-desist letter, but went to New York federal court to seek a declaration that copyright law permitted a limited, more convenient way for its subscribers to enjoy television in the home on their iPad devices. Viacom claimed in its own lawsuit that TWC had broken a contract and committed copyright infringement.

For several months, the dispute was waged as much in public as in a courtroom.

TWC argued that by allowing customers to use its iPad device inside the home, the cable company was saving its customers the expense of leasing expensive cable boxes.

Viacom's top executives spoke up about concern that allowing fans to watch shows like Jersey Shore on their iPad device was "cannibalizing" audiences on traditional platforms. The company maintained it needed compensation.

In June, things started to become less heated. The two parties reached its "standstill agreement."

Then, in August, Viacom and another giant cable distributor, Cablevision, reached a settlement to resolve a similar lawsuit. The deal paved the way for Viacom programming to appear on Cablevision's Optimum app for the iPad.

The settlement agreement between Viacom and Cablevision might have suggested a roadmap for Viacom and TWC to resolve their own differences, but the opposite seems to have happened.

The parties came to no settlement, and last month, TWC filed new papers in court.

According to an amended answer to Viacom's lawsuit, TWC says that Viacom is required "to offer TWC identical rights to distribute the Viacom Services with respect to Internet or online services as Viacom has offered to third parties."

TWC goes on to state that "Viacom's grant of such rights to Cablevision without offering identical rights to TWC constitutes a breach of certain of the Viacom Affiliation Agreements, and entitles TWC to terminate its distribution of certain of the Viacom Services and accordingly cease paying significant license fees for those services."

Now, TWC is giving a New York federal judge something to think about.

TWC is still seeking a declaration that distributing Viacom programming on the TWCable TV iPad App doesn't constitute copyright infringement..

But if the judge agrees with Viacom, then TWC says the Cablevision deal (as well as others such as a licensing arrangement with DISH Network) constitutes a breach of several agreements, including the "Suite Services Agreement" (MTV, VH1, MTV2, VH1 Classic...), the "Core Services Agreement," and the "Comedy Agreement" (Comedy Central). TWC says it would be entitled to terminate those agreements or demand identical Internet distribution rights.

In addition to new counterclaims for breaching the above agreements, TWC also seeking a declaration that it performed its obligations under an agreement to distribute Country Music Television -- a Viacom station. The move seems to be in reaction to a lawsuit filed by Viacom in June that TWC breached a distribution contract and tortiously interfered with Country Music Television's relationship with advertisers.

On Wednesday, Viacom responded in court.

For now, Viacom largely ignores TWC's new claims that it breached its obligations by making iPad licensing agreements with third parties and focuses heavily why a judge should throw out the dispute over Country Music Television. According to Viacom, this counterclaim should be dismissed because it does not share "a common nucleus of operative fact" with the iPad dispute.

We've reached out to Viacom whether networks such as Comedy Central and MTV on Time Warner Cable are threatened by the litigation, and we'll update if we hear anything.

E-mail: eriqgardner@yahoo.com
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...dispute-257178
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

Time Warner Cable is going grande with its iPad app, adding 37 Spanish-language channels for subscribers of its Hispanic programming tiers, even as the MSO's battle with Viacom over the tablet application remains unresolved.

The new Hispanic channels are available on the iPad at no additional charge to Time Warner Cable video customers who subscribe to those channels, including El Paquetazo digital cable subscribers, varying by region. The app provides access to live TV only within a subscriber's home over a Wi-Fi connection.

Oh yes, that's brilliant. Focus on the Spanish channels, which only 10% of the United States' population can speak fluently, and out of that, only half of that population cannot speak English fluently as well. So really this is only needed for the 5% of America's population that consists of largely poor and undocumented immigrants with lacking English skills.

Another brilliant move from Time Warner. Where exactly is this Spanish-only speaking, bourgeois undocumented immigrant population that forks over $150+ a month for Time Warner's expensive services and own iPads as well?