Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 9374 Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's terrible that this usually happens with RSN's. In Orlando, we did not have FS Florida for 20 years until they acquired the rights to 35 Orlando Magic games. Then, it took a little more than a year but a deal was struck when the ball dropped on 2009. There have also been disputes with Sun Sports during that time but those got resolved within a few months.

Losing RSN's are always painful.

I hope it comes back soon for you guys. I could care less about FUSE (never watch it but love to pad HD count) but do hope a deal where others get the national version of MSG is included when a deal is struck.
post #8823 of 9374 Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By Jacob Schulman on January 4, 2012 03:07 pm

TWC promised HBO Go by the middle of January, and is sticking to its self-imposed deadline sort of.

Starting today, HBO Go and MAX Go are available in beta for TWC subscribers who also have HBO or Cinemax packages, as well as SignatureHome service for personalized customer support.

During beta, use is limited to PCs and Macs, with support coming for mobile devices (iOS and Android) once authentication systems are verified and kinks worked out.

The company promises it's "working very hard" to keep the beta as brief as possible, so hopefully all subscribers will be invited soon.

Your move, Cablevision.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/4/268...bo-max-go-beta
post #8824 of 9374 Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgooch View Post

By Jacob Schulman on January 4, 2012 03:07 pm

TWC promised HBO Go by the middle of January, and is sticking to its self-imposed deadline sort of.

Starting today, HBO Go and MAX Go are available in beta for TWC subscribers who also have HBO or Cinemax packages, as well as SignatureHome service for personalized customer support.

During beta, use is limited to PCs and Macs, with support coming for mobile devices (iOS and Android) once authentication systems are verified and kinks worked out.

The company promises it's "working very hard" to keep the beta as brief as possible, so hopefully all subscribers will be invited soon.

Your move, Cablevision.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/4/268...bo-max-go-beta

Last night I signed up at my home and watched parts of several shows

Today I was able log on and watch using WindStream DSL in another city. WindStream is not listed as a supported provider.

Shhhhh, don't tell TWC
post #8825 of 9374 Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Last night I signed up at my home and watched parts of several shows

Today I was able log on and watch using WindStream DSL in another city. WindStream is not listed as a supported provider.

Shhhhh, don't tell TWC

I don't think it matters what ISP you're using. That's the whole point of the authentification process.

And the FOUL!
post #8826 of 9374 Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wellman View Post

I don't think it matters what ISP you're using. That's the whole point of the authentification process.

TWC is getting the money for HBO and I'm was using some other ISP's bandwidth. I guess that's a winner for them
post #8827 of 9374 Old 01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TWC is getting the money for HBO and I'm was using some other ISP's bandwidth. I guess that's a winner for them

I hear ya. I don't subscribe to HBO, but a friend of mine has HBO with HBO Go with DirecTV. But I use his HBO Go account on my Time Warner internet.

And the FOUL!
post #8828 of 9374 Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Wait Is Over: All Time Warner Cable Customers Can Now Use HBO GO/MAX GO - http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2012...-hbo-gomax-go/
post #8829 of 9374 Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does it work on the Roku/Xbox or are they blocking it like DirecTV and some others?
post #8830 of 9374 Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Does it work on the Roku/Xbox or are they blocking it like DirecTV and some others?

Same question for Xbox360 - and does it need Gold? Yes I realize I could probably find this out elsewhere. Lazy.

xnappo
post #8831 of 9374 Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

The Wait Is Over: All Time Warner Cable Customers Can Now Use HBO GO/MAX GO - http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2012...-hbo-gomax-go/

Tried it out last night... worked OK but the PQ was pretty nasty. Hulu+ HD streaming has significantly better PQ on the exact same PC equipment and local network. (In fact, Hulu+ HD looks better than some of the TWC HD channels around here!)

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #8832 of 9374 Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

From The New York Times

Quote:

MSG and Time Warner Continue to Face Off

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

Since New Year’s Day, many local sports fans have lived with a disturbing reality: they cannot watch the Knicks, the Rangers, the Devils and the Islanders play on the MSG and MSG Plus networks.

The Rangers hold the best record in the N.H.L., but subscribers of Time Warner Cable cannot watch them on television.

And fans in the Buffalo market cannot tune in to the wildly popular Sabres on MSG.

The blackout is a result of a dispute that led to the disappearance of the MSG channels on Time Warner Cable, which has 1.7 million customers in the New York metropolitan region and upstate. After 11 days, there appears to be little hope for a quick resolution — even as the Rangers hold the best record in the N.H.L. and the Knicks are on a four-game winning streak that has put them at 6-4.

“I’m paying Time Warner $150 a month, and I’m thinking of cutting the cord,” said Amit Klein, a Knicks fan from Brooklyn who watched a recent game on a pirate Web site he learned of on Twitter. “It’s frustrating when you’re paying so much and there’s no legal way to watch the games.”

MSG and Time Warner Cable have kept their feud bubbling through newspaper ads, radio and TV commercials, and on Web sites (twcconversations.com and keepmsg.com), where MSG implores aggrieved fans to switch to DirecTV, RCN or Verizon FiOS.

MSG has also invited fans to viewing parties in various cities where they can watch the games.

The two sides agree on little in a nasty squabble that has focused on what Time Warner Cable will pay MSG to carry the two regional sports networks in a new contract. MSG says the cable operator, the nation’s second largest, has rejected all of its proposals for two years. Time Warner Cable says that MSG has twice reneged on a 6.5 percent rate increase and that its final demand was for a 53 percent increase.

“That’s just such a gross distortion of our conversations, and it’s not anywhere close to what we’ve talked about,” said Mike Bair, president of MSG Media. He added, “The sense of any movement to get the channels back on doesn’t exist.”

Mike Angus, a senior vice president for Time Warner Cable, said he was puzzled by the escalation of MSG’s pricing demands, which occurred after the N.B.A. lockout was resolved. “It was an overnight call: ‘Sorry, that offer isn’t on the table. Here’s the new number,’ ” he said. “We’ve asked them why, and they haven’t given us a real answer.”

Angus added, “MSG has its hand on the switch now.”

Local fans have seen sports channels blacked out before, with two companies controlled by the Dolan family — Cablevision and its former subsidiary, Madison Square Garden — in the middle.

For 10 days in 2004, MSG and what is now called MSG Plus were removed from Time Warner’s systems. The next year, the fight resumed and ended only after a 63-day blackout. Cablevision refused to show the YES Network for all of 2002, its first year of Yankees broadcasts. And years before Cablevision acquired Madison Square Garden and its assets, it dropped MSG for 10 months in 1988 and ’89.

Over the past decade, the character of MSG and its sister channel, MSG Plus, formerly FSNY, has changed. MSG lost Yankee rights after the 2001 season when the team created YES. The Mets left the MSG fold after 2005 when the club set up its SNY network. Regional sports networks are generally anchored by at least 100 baseball games, which usually produce higher ratings than basketball and hockey games.

Yet MSG costs nearly as much as YES and a little more than SNY. According to SNL Kagan, a research firm, MSG’s estimated monthly subscriber fee this year is $2.63. YES’s is $2.99 and SNY’s is $2.55. MSG Plus’s monthly subscriber fee stands at $2.28.

According to Lee H. Berke, the president of a media consulting company, Time Warner Cable would have had the contractual right to demand a reduction during its negotiations with MSG in 2005 when it was clear that the Mets’ departure would leave a sizable hole in programming in the spring and summer. “At that point, if I was Time Warner, I’d have said: ‘You’re offering 120 fewer events. I should cut your fee by X percent,’ ” said Berke, a former MSG executive. “But that opportunity came and went.”

That earlier deal was brokered by Eliot L. Spitzer, then New York State’s attorney general. In an interview on Tuesday, Spitzer said he could not recall the details of the talks between MSG and Time Warner nearly seven years ago or why MSG is paid as if it still carried Mets or Yankees games. “My objective was to bridge the chasm,” he said.

Angus, of Time Warner Cable, suggested that MSG may be seeking a Spitzer-like resolution in raising its current demands by more than eight times. Perhaps, he said, “the rationale for yanking their offer off the table and throwing up something extreme is that someone will step in and split the baby.”

But an MSG spokesman said that Time Warner’s account of its demands was “pure fiction.”

Whatever MSG’s demands are, it clearly values itself as an elite local sports network, even without Major League Baseball; it wants from Time Warner Cable fees similar to what its rivals are paying. The price of MSG also reflects higher rights fees for the Devils since 2005, and the purchase of Sabres rights.

Derek Baine, a senior analyst at SNL Kagan, said the subscriber fees that are now being charged by MSG are determined in part by what it pays Cablevision to be seen by its customers. “When you have related companies like Cablevision and MSG, you try to set the price high,” he said.

MSG compares its impasse in New York to one in Los Angeles, where Time Warner Cable has bought the rights to Lakers games over 20 years, starting in the fall, reportedly for billions of dollars. MSG’s Bair called it “confounding” that Time Warner Cable has made such a huge, market-altering investment in the Lakers, but that MSG was not even seeking “significant change in New York.”

A settlement might depend on finding a mutually agreeable definition of “significant.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/sp...ines&emc=tha26

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8833 of 9374 Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I called TWC and got them to lower my bill. Originally I had Expanded Basic + 3 tiers + Showtime + 2 HD DVRs + Road Runner Standard internet (speeds of up to 10mbps) that was $156 a month. I did get them to lower the bill to $119.99 tax & fees (so ballpark around $125/mo) by giving up 2 of the tiers and giving up Showtime and keeping the variety tier, which is absolutely fine by me, since in all honesty I can't say I thoroughly watched many of those channels in the Choice Tier or Showtime. I will say the majority of the channels I enjoyed seemed to be on the variety tier, which does include ESPN U, MLB Network, Planet Green, Science Channel, and National Geographic Channel. In the end it the new price includes Expanded Basic + Variety Tier + 2 HD DVRs + Road Runner Standard Internet. Overall with the exception of missing one channel which is Prime Ticket, I've been generally pleased with Time Warner Cable's TV and internet service. I've had only 2 outages, with the one being the massive San Diego power outage in September which obviously isn't their fault and the other being an internet outage that happened around 4:30am. The only reason why I knew that the internet was out was because I had to go to work at 6am and it was resolved by the time I got to work (I am able to tell because I have a Slingbox attached to the cable box in the bedroom). In the year that I moved to where I currently live, overall I have found them to be a reliable company.

And the FOUL!
post #8834 of 9374 Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Jan 23, 2012

Portland Time Warner Cable will transition the remaining analog channels on its lineup to an all-digital format on Tuesday, Jan. 24, in 60 communities in Western and Midcoast Maine, including Rockland, Camden, the Boothbays, Wiscasset, Carrabasset Valley, Rumford, Mexico and Livermore Falls.

The all-digital conversion means customers in the affected communities will need a digital adapter or digital set-top box in order to continue to receive their TV programming. This includes shows offered by local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS affiliates - including Sunday's NFL Pro Bowl. It also includes popular cable channels like ESPN, MTV and New England Sports Network.

The vast majority of our customers have already secured their digital adapters and are ready for the transition to all-digital, said Paul S. Schonewolf, Area Vice President for Time Warner Cable of New England. If they haven't already done so, customers will need to pick up and install a digital adapter so they don't miss any of their favorite shows, including the NFL playoffs and popular broadcast network programming like American Idol, NCIS or Parenthood.

Once they connect their digital adapter, customers who subscribe to Time Warner Cable's Basic cable package will receive up to 14 additional channels, including C-SPAN2, EWTN and PBS World. Customers who receive Time Warner Cable's Classic/Standard cable package will receive those channels plus CMT, TruTV, Oxygen, Travel and Speed.

Time Warner Cable's digital transition is part of the company's effort to continually ensure its customers have access to the best products and features the digital world has to offer. Time Warner Cable's all-digital transition will add capacity to our network, enabling us to give our customers more of the innovative products and services they want more HD channels, more On Demand programming, faster Internet speeds and other enhanced services, Schonewolf said.

The transition means customers who receive Time Warner Cable's Augusta channel lineup will need to have a digital set-top box or palm-sized digital adapter from Time Warner Cable (or a third-party device equipped with a CableCARD provided by Time Warner Cable) for each television they use to view the company's TV services. Residential customers can get as many digital adapters as they need at no cost through December 2013.

To order their digital adapters, customers may either:

* Visit a Time Warner Cable payment center in Lewiston, Rumford, Augusta, Winslow, Windham, Rockland or Portland.

* Call 1-855-TWC-DIGITAL (855-892-3444).

Order online at timewarnercable.com/GoDigital.Time Warner Cable launched its transition to the all-digital format last fall in 105 communities served by TWC's Augusta channel lineup. During the first phase, from October to early December, Time Warner Cable digitized 23 channels on its Basic and Classic/Standard channel tiers in the affected communities.

In this second and final phase Time Warner Cable will digitize more than 40 remaining analog channels on the Basic and Classic tiers, including local broadcasters like WCSH, WGME and WMTW.

Here are the communities in this area affected by the Jan. 24 transition: Camden, Cushing, Friendship, North Haven, Owls Head, Rockland, St. George, South Thomaston, Thomaston, Union, Waldoboro, Warren.

http://knox.villagesoup.com/place/st...-jan-24/480723
post #8835 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
TWC Releases App to Stream Live TV on iPhone

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2012...le-for-iphone/

This should be a massive WIN for them, but it won't work on my phone because I maintain a Jailbreak for the springboard and docking options! It should be of NO CONCERN TO TWC how I operate my device if I am paying them for the service. I'll have to look to the jailbreak community and see if there is a solution. Keep in mind that jailbreaking has been deemed legal.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #8836 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

It should be of NO CONCERN TO TWC how I operate my device if I am paying them for the service.

I'm just guessing here, but considering how much flack TWC took from some of their programming suppliers over this app, I think they may be going the extra mile to make sure you can only watch their programming using their network. They may be concerned that a jailbroken device could overcome this restriction.

SA8300HDC - ODN 5.2.0_9 - 1TB eSATA

post #8837 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I would agree phousley, I bet it has a lot to do with copyright infringement.

And the FOUL!
post #8838 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I know you have to be on home Wifi for it to work, how does it know you are on wifi that is served by TWC? Does it look for the IP address coming into the wifi network to see if it's a TWC IP?

I tried it from my home wifi not served by TW(I have Cox cable), downloaded the app and logged in(I have a login from family as payment for free tech support I give them, lol), but it tells me I need to be on my home wifi for the live TV to work. 1 cable box correctly shows up on the devices list and it let me rename it.

It's not a huge deal, I was just curious how it knows the wifi network you are connected to is fed by TWC.
post #8839 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

TWC is within their right to implement the restriction, I just think it's kind of lame because as stated, you have to be on your home wifi network. I believe it looks at IP. I posted in another thread about this and was wondering if Dish or DirecTV have the same restrictions on their mobile apps?

post #8840 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

I know you have to be on home Wifi for it to work, how does it know you are on wifi that is served by TWC? Does it look for the IP address coming into the wifi network to see if it's a TWC IP?

I tried it from my home wifi not served by TW(I have Cox cable), downloaded the app and logged in(I have a login from family as payment for free tech support I give them, lol), but it tells me I need to be on my home wifi for the live TV to work. 1 cable box correctly shows up on the devices list and it let me rename it.

It's not a huge deal, I was just curious how it knows the wifi network you are connected to is fed by TWC.

Haven't tried the IPad version anywhere but at home. I have tried the HBO Go app on other networks and it works fine.
post #8841 of 9374 Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tried the HBO Go app on other networks and it works fine.

That's because HBO Go isn't ISP dependent. It's dependent on the pay tv provider to come to an agreement with HBO to provide HBO Go. The reason why one can watch it anywhere is because it's a closed platform where the only way to access it is if one is a subscriber the linear tv channel of HBO, thus the username and password (or if one is lucky like myself to know a friend who has HBO Go and is willing to share HBO Go). I've been able to use HBO Go since August of last year on Time Warner Cable internet using my friend's HBO Go account who subscribes to DirecTV.

And the FOUL!
post #8842 of 9374 Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Can't I VPN into my home network though and be able to use the TWC app or no?
post #8843 of 9374 Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Can't I VPN into my home network though and be able to use the TWC app or no?

Nope. They took that out in the 2nd update. I did the same thing (VPN) when the app first came out.
post #8844 of 9374 Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Be advised I have gotten around the jailbreak detection for the iPhone app of TWC TV, so it can be done. I'm not going to post details publically, but the information is out there.

post #8845 of 9374 Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From The New York Times

Quote:

Time Warner Cable and MSG Resolve Dispute

By HOWARD BECK and RICHARD SANDOMIR

The 48-day standoff between the MSG Network and Time Warner Cable ended Friday, according to two people aware of the resolution who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The end of the impasse will be announced Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and executives of both companies. A settlement had been urged by Eric T. Schneiderman, the state’s attorney general. The governor’s intervention in the past 24 hours with James L. Dolan, executive chairman of Madison Square Garden, and Glenn Britt, chief executive of Time Warner Cable, accelerated the agreement.

The blackout deprived many Knicks fans around the state of seeing much of the rapid rise to stardom of point guard Jeremy Lin — as well as the continued success of the New York Rangers.

The impasse began Jan. 1 with the companies disagreeing angrily over what Time Warner Cable would pay to continue carrying MSG. Time Warner Cable, which serves more than two million customers, insisted that MSG reneged on a proposal for a 6.5 percent increase late last year and then demanded a 54 percent hike. MSG has never discussed figures publicly but said Time Warner’s were not accurate.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8846 of 9374 Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My parents are getting these on Comcast:

NECN HD (New England Cable Network)

Is this a new channel? It should be added to the OP.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #8847 of 9374 Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

My parents are getting these on Comcast:

NECN HD (New England Cable Network)
H2 HD (History 2)

Are these new channels? They should be added to the OP.

H2 = History International rebranded

NECN = regional (news, not network)
post #8848 of 9374 Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Fuse Carriage Is Part Of TWC Agreement With MSG

Music Service Was Dropped Ahead Of Sports Networks' Blackout On Time Warner

by Kent Gibbons -- Multichannel News, 2/17/2012 7:15:30 PM

Fuse carriage will be restored on Time Warner Cable as part of the tentative agreement that also put the sports channels MSG and MSG+ back on the cable operator's lineups, the companies said.

Billy on the StreetIn a statement released after 6 p.m. and essentially confirming earlier reports, MSG Media said it was "pleased to have reached a tentative agreement with Time Warner Cable for carriage of our networks -- MSG, MSG+ and Fuse, effective immediately, including tonight's 8 p.m. match-up between the New York Knicks and the New Orleans Hornets, as well as the Devils and Sabres games. We would like to thank Governor Andrew Cuomo for his leadership in helping us resolve this matter. We would also like to thank Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and NBA Commissioner David Stern, whose assistance helped allow the parties to reach an agreement. We are committed to providing our fans with award-winning programming that continues to warrant their loyalty and allegiance, and we thank them for their patience."

Time Warner Cable confirmed Fuse carriage is part of the deal. A spokesman said it might not be back on the system over the weekend but would be back by Monday.

The No. 2 U.S. cable operator had dropped Fuse, a national music service, last Dec. 16 as part of a larger fee dispute concerning MSG and MSG+.

The sports channels went dark on Time Warner on Dec. 31.

Time Warner Cable carriage is important to Fuse, representing 7.4 million homes out of 36 million in all, and HD carriage in key markets including New York City. Fuse is very lightly viewed (something Time Warner Cable pointed out after dropping it) and a year ago lost carriage on Dish Network.

The music service is a favorite of MSG executive chairman James Dolan and has lately been adding some original series and concerts in an effort to add viewers.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...t_With_MSG.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #8849 of 9374 Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Disney Jr HD launched on TWC in NYC on ch 732 at midnight
post #8850 of 9374 Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post 1 updated.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page