3Likes

post #9361 of 9377 Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Hello.

I noticed Motorola DCX3400 DVR is still powered on after doing automatic scheduled recording and using it (was checking something). I couldn't manually turn it off during its automatic recording since it would cancel my recording. Hours later, I noticed it stopped recording and still on. Isn't this DVR supposed to turn off/sleep after idling for several hours of not doing anything?

Thank you in advance. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Hello.

I noticed Motorola DCX3400 DVR is still powered on after doing automatic scheduled recording and using it (was checking something). I couldn't manually turn it off during its automatic recording since it would cancel my recording. Hours later, I noticed it stopped recording and still on. Isn't this DVR supposed to turn off/sleep after idling for several hours of not doing anything?

My experience with DVRs is that all "turning it off" does is disable output to the television.
post #9363 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdec View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

Hello.

My experience with DVRs is that all "turning it off" does is disable output to the television.
I thought it turned off other features to mimimize power usage too.
post #9364 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Dont know the exact specifics but the DVR uses more electric in Standby than any other electronic device you have. By far.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9365 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Dont know the exact specifics but the DVR uses more electric in Standby than any other electronic device you have. By far.
That's nuts. frown.gif
post #9366 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a 1000 watt subwoofer that uses 1 watt in Standby. Roughly the same for my receiver. Estimates for the average DVR are 15-20 watts.

post #9367 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM

Liked: 11
post #9368 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post

Bond, you're being kind.
http://standby.lbl.gov/summary-table.html
Holy crap!

post #9369 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

It has too since it needs to check for programming updates, update the internal hard drive, record shows, etc. while off. /Dan
post #9370 of 9377 Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

It has too since it needs to check for programming updates, update the internal hard drive, record shows, etc. while off. /Dan
I understand. And while thats the least of my worries 40 watts in standby seems extremely inefficient.

post #9371 of 9377 Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Cable boxes' signals compared to cable modems' signals...

Hello.

I was at my parents' place again, and was noticed some of their digital channels (e.g., HBO) were not always clear (pixellated, corruptions, etc.). It didn't matter which room too, through HDTVs' tuners or TWC's Motorola cable boxes, etc. I looked at Motorola's diagnostics and confused on how to read these technical info(rmation) compared to cable modems. There's a lot more than cable modems'! Am I only looking at their download and upload streams? I don't think I saw any SNR values? There were a long menu list of options!

If it is a low signal issue due to very long coax cables and many splitters due to the size of their place, then what's the best way to fix it? Put a signal amplifier in where the TWC coax cable enters the building? I remember they had issues with their Internet and phone services due to signals even when TWC technician was installing a few years ago. I assume the switch over to all digital and losing analog (they still have analog and some free digital QAM channels) will not fix this issue?

Thank you in advance.
post #9372 of 9377 Old 07-05-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Question Replaced Motorola cable box and DVR with Arris ones.

Earlier today, my client and I exchanged the old Motorola cable box (DCH3200) and DVR (DCX3400) with Arris cable boxes and DVR (DCX3510-M). Also, we got a new RC (RC122) for the new DVR.

I do like the new Navigator(?) GUI since it is faster and has better usability. However, there are annoyances:
1. Where is the technical information (e.g., signals) at like Motorola's boxes with RC button to power on to that white screen instead of iGuide?
2. When switching between SD and HD channels, the box and TV flickers as if they were change resolution or something. Is this normal? Motorola didn't do this.
3. I noticed it takes too long to boot up these Arris boxes compared to Motorola's and others. I can understand waiting for their TV Guides to update, but booting up and unable to use them? Argh! What if there is a quick power outage and we're watching TV? That would suck to wait 5-10 minutes just to boot up!
4. Is there a way to show the information guide in each changed channel to show ALL details by default instead pressing the RC's info button twice?
5. Are there dedicated (forum/thread)s for these Arris cable hardwares? I remember AVS forums had a dedciated thread for Motorola's.
6. Are there manuals for them including their Navigator?
7. Anything to know about compared to Motorola's? It like looks this DVR is a server and the other box is a client to share recordings through coax cables? Again, I need manuals. I didn't see any options for them in the screens though.
8. How does one access the DVR remotely outside of home to manage the DVR like to schedule timers to record stuff? I assume it is in TWC's web site after logging in, but I cannot find it like in https://myservices.timewarnercable.c...dex#jmp/cse/tv web page. I did find "To assign or edit a DVR's name, go to DVR Manager." with its link to https://dvr.timewarnercable.com/editDvrName/, but with "Error We were unable to retrieve your DVR information at this time due to a system error." message.
9. Is there a way to save my real-time recording before changing to another channel?
10. Can DVR (DCX3510-M) with RC122 do skips instead of fast forwarding (FFing)?
11. I noticed these Arris cable boxes have Apps. Is there an online store to download and install more like Apple's?

We will still have to play with them more later. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by phildaant; 07-24-2014 at 11:09 PM.
post #9373 of 9377 Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
All UI questions (and most of the box questions) are addressed in the Navigator thread.

Time Warner Cable Navigator
phildaant likes this.

post #9374 of 9377 Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it me or is TWC's guide inaccurate for World Cup game? I didn't see it show the live game on ESPN. It as on ABC (KABC7.1) though.
post #9375 of 9377 Old 07-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got my latest bill. It seems bundling is now more expensive than buying separate. I have turbo internet and starter (basic) cable as a bundle (their idea last year). The bundle now costs $84.99 (was costing me $64.99 with a small service discount because I threatened to get rid of cable last year and now the discount has ended). Turbo internet costs $49.99 and starter cable costs $23.00 (without any discounts), which adds up to $72.99. The bundle now costs $12 more than buying separate. What the heck? Have to give them a call.

CHECK YOUR BILLS!!!
phildaant likes this.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #9376 of 9377 Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
Just got my latest bill. It seems bundling is now more expensive than buying separate. I have turbo internet and starter (basic) cable as a bundle (their idea last year). The bundle now costs $84.99 (was costing me $64.99 with a small service discount because I threatened to get rid of cable last year and now the discount has ended). Turbo internet costs $49.99 and starter cable costs $23.00 (without any discounts), which adds up to $72.99. The bundle now costs $12 more than buying separate. What the heck? Have to give them a call.

CHECK YOUR BILLS!!!
Yep, always check the prices. http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/su...ail-rates.html has the prices too so you can compare.
post #9377 of 9377 Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TWC adding SEC Network

TWC adding SEC Network

http://www.twcableuntangled.com/2014...e-sec-network/
phildaant likes this.

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page