Time Warner Cable HDTV - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
I don't have this option in the Cisco tuner. I wish I could just hide/delete channels instead. (WMC spoiled me for years)
I have a Cisco tuner and can go to settings Auto HD and one click.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
I have a Cisco tuner and can go to settings Auto HD and one click.
Maybe it's a different model Cisco router. When I hit Menu (There is no settings on my remote) I get following:
  • Channels
  • Captions
  • Language
  • HDMI
  • Screen Format
  • Parental Controls
  • Remote Control
Non of these have Auto HD option.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
hmm in areas with the national channel lineup the channel is in HD by default no SD/HD numbers and only the Navigator boxes can be set to output SD channels only by selecting 480i only in the resolution settings screen. iGuide boxes are set to HD feeds and cannot be changed to SD. the only iGuide SD only boxes are DCT2000/DCT2500 that TWC still has and are not handing out anymore and iGuide boxes are not being handed out anymore at least in North Texas it is only DCX series ARRIS/Motorola boxes loaded with Navigator. so if you have a iGuide box you can keep it for now apparently.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Strangely TWC website does not allow copy/paste of channel line up.[/QUOTE]

It never did and probably never will.[/QUOTE]

In my area TWC allows me to download a pdf file of the local channel line-up. You can copy and paste from it. Wouldn't this be available everywhere?[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe forgot to read the fine print.

Arvy
Old 12-29-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey hyedipin, what happens when you hit guide twice ? if you have the guide button..

what cisco model you have ?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
Hey hyedipin, what happens when you hit guide twice ? if you have the guide button..
what cisco model you have ?
No guide or program info at all, it's pretty crappy. I think they gave me the ultra budget "antenna in a box" type of a tuner. It's DTA-271HD.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
No guide or program info at all, it's pretty crappy. I think they gave me the ultra budget "antenna in a box" type of a tuner. It's DTA-271HD.
What you have isn't a "cable box", but a digital adapter. Basically, it will convert the digital signal coming in on your cable to a signal that will give you the "starter" service channels on your tv. So you are correct in saying it's an "antenna in a box". You're not really paying for the service that gives you the guide, and other services you get with a full function set-top-box.
phildaant and bernie33 like this.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
What you have isn't a "cable box", but a digital adapter. Basically, it will convert the digital signal coming in on your cable to a signal that will give you the "starter" service channels on your tv. So you are correct in saying it's an "antenna in a box". You're not really paying for the service that gives you the guide, and other services you get with a full function set-top-box.
Makes sense, I might as well return this and get my $10/mo back and use antenna instead. I should have done that a while ago..
Or maybe I'll go back, and they'll lure me into upgrading to DVR with more channels.. I am afraid to walk in there.
phildaant likes this.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Makes sense, I might as well return this and get my $10/mo back and use antenna instead. I should have done that a while ago..
Or maybe I'll go back, and they'll lure me into upgrading to DVR with more channels.. I am afraid to walk in there.
A DTA isn't all bad especially for only $10/mo. You get all digital channels in subscribed package[s] only minus the guide which you already addressed. An antenna, at least in my area, will receive most of the local affiliates (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and a plethora of religion, home shopping etc., maybe a movie channel, too) but not much else. With the DTA and a Starter package there are more choices. Add basic Internet and phone and the overall cost goes down a bit. Of course, it depends on what you regularly watch and do. I'm a little old school anyway.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvy View Post
A DTA isn't all bad especially for only $10/mo. You get all digital channels in subscribed package[s] only minus the guide which you already addressed. An antenna, at least in my area, will receive most of the local affiliates (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and a plethora of religion, home shopping etc., maybe a movie channel, too) but not much else. With the DTA and a Starter package there are more choices. Add basic Internet and phone and the overall cost goes down a bit. Of course, it depends on what you regularly watch and do. I'm a little old school anyway.
I am paying $47 for internet+starter TV. So if I return this, my cost may go down to $37/mo for internet and maybe, and that's a big maybe, I'll still get most of these channels through C-QAM tuner on my TV? Most likely and I think my TV has guide function but the channel numbers won't really work since that guide is designed for OTA. I do most my viewing on Amazon Prime via Fire TV these days, and my son only watches PBS kids and occasional broadcast kids shows, and we don't really watch reality TV or anything else. Having used HD DVR for many years, I really loved catching random things using the DVR's keyword recording function.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 12-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am paying $47 for internet+starter TV. So if I return this, my cost may go down to $37/mo for internet and maybe, and that's a big maybe, I'll still get most of these channels through C-QAM tuner on my TV? Most likely and I think my TV has guide function but the channel numbers won't really work since that guide is designed for OTA. I do most my viewing on Amazon Prime via Fire TV these days, and my son only watches PBS kids and occasional broadcast kids shows, and we don't really watch reality TV or anything else. Having used HD DVR for many years, I really loved catching random things using the DVR's keyword recording function.
TWC took away QAM from Los Angeles about a year ago. The channels slowly disappeared until even the locals were gone and mostly to make room for MAXX broadband speeds which are actually pretty nice. My 20/2 connection went to 100/10 for the same price. Still QAM is gone and replaced by a meager antenna that I use sometimes for network football games and an occasional TV show because the picture quality is somewhat better than through coax and DVR. From my location FOX doesn't even show up on a scan. The best I get are CBS, NBC, ABC, a couple other locals, PBS, I think Disney Kids, QVC, getTV, some things I don't even know what they are, and all the religion anyone could want. It depends on what you want to see I suppose, how much you want to pay, and how it's received as to the optimum setup. Granted, TV costs are high and getting higher. I don't even think 'you get what you pay for' applies to entertainment anymore, but most everything has gone up. 20 years ago (I'm ancient), a gallon of gas was under $1.
phildaant likes this.

Arvy
Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
TWC took away QAM from Los Angeles about a year ago. The channels slowly disappeared until even the locals were gone and mostly to make room for MAXX broadband speeds which are actually pretty nice. My 20/2 connection went to 100/10 for the same price. Still QAM is gone and replaced by a meager antenna that I use sometimes for network football games and an occasional TV show because the picture quality is somewhat better than through coax and DVR. From my location FOX doesn't even show up on a scan. The best I get are CBS, NBC, ABC, a couple other locals, PBS, I think Disney Kids, QVC, getTV, some things I don't even know what they are, and all the religion anyone could want. It depends on what you want to see I suppose, how much you want to pay, and how it's received as to the optimum setup. Granted, TV costs are high and getting higher. I don't even think 'you get what you pay for' applies to entertainment anymore, but most everything has gone up. 20 years ago (I'm ancient), a gallon of gas was under $1.
While it's no guarantee that it will stick around, I'll run a quick scan with my TV to see what is available on clear. I know they removed several channels (including Food Network!) from QAM as well as basic package and they added bunch of useless channels instead. I guess Food Network wanted more money. Will report back with QAM results. PS: I used to run HDHomeRun with my Time Warner QAM through Windows Media Center and it was just great, but after they started moving channels around it became very difficult to keep track of the channels so I gave up on that. It was still easier to do that with OTA.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 12-31-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Unhappy

Quote:
Yep. Welcome to life. Hey, I am ancient too and going to be entering a new decade soon.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Just checked and you are right, I get only about 25 QAM channels and those are already less than the number of channels I marked as "watchable" in my current "starter" package. However, unless I missed that, QVC has HD option in QAM while it's SD via Tuner. Maybe I missed the channel, but point is QAM is useless.

I actually wanted to see if I could get a proper service for $10-$15 more, but I don't see the option on TWC website. They want me to pay $45 more (which would be about $90/mo) for TV+Internet. Maybe I can try to get their $33+$33 promotion next time it's around and get myself a Tivo or something with cable card, I don't know if I want to pay $15/mo for their HD DVR box.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 31
By FCC regs all digital cable transmissions are QAM. What you should be saying is "clear QAM".
phildaant likes this.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just checked and you are right, I get only about 25 QAM channels and those are already less than the number of channels I marked as "watchable" in my current "starter" package. However, unless I missed that, QVC has HD option in QAM while it's SD via Tuner. Maybe I missed the channel, but point is QAM is useless.

I actually wanted to see if I could get a proper service for $10-$15 more, but I don't see the option on TWC website. They want me to pay $45 more (which would be about $90/mo) for TV+Internet. Maybe I can try to get their $33+$33 promotion next time it's around and get myself a Tivo or something with cable card, I don't know if I want to pay $15/mo for their HD DVR box.
Have you looked at the monthly cost of the cablecard?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post
Have you looked at the monthly cost of the cablecard?
$2.50/mo, saving the $12.50 can go towards own box. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
By FCC regs all digital cable transmissions are QAM. What you should be saying is "clear QAM".
You are right, although I said C-QAM in the beginning, gradually dropped the C in subsequent posts.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
$2.50/mo, saving the $12.50 can go towards own box. Any suggestions?

You are right, although I said C-QAM in the beginning, gradually dropped the C in subsequent posts.
Does that cablecard, and your set, have two-way communication. In my area Time Warner Cable uses Switched Video on most of the channels except the major TV networks and a few other very widely watched channels. The others are only take up band-width when someone in your local subnet wants to watch them. They know that because the tuning device sends feedback requesting the channel. Most of the time you're not even aware of it. I haven't kept up with Cablecards since that was implemented in our area. I gave back our Cablecard then and got one DVR for our main TV. The others have the data-conversion tuning device that you mentioned earlier.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post
Does that cablecard, and your set, have two-way communication. In my area Time Warner Cable uses Switched Video on most of the channels except the major TV networks and a few other very widely watched channels. The others are only take up band-width when someone in your local subnet wants to watch them. They know that because the tuning device sends feedback requesting the channel. Most of the time you're not even aware of it. I haven't kept up with Cablecards since that was implemented in our area. I gave back our Cablecard then and got one DVR for our main TV. The others have the data-conversion tuning device that you mentioned earlier.
It's one-way I believe. When I had my ATI TV-In Wonder (which I just sold) it worked great but TWC's cards would not allow me to access on demand or start-over or other advanced functionality but it had all channels that normal set top box had. Yes, they gave me digital tuner (larger than what I have now, it was also Cisco) to get the channels properly tuned and sent to my cable card tuner. I'll talk to them this week about promotions.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 AM

In reference to box DTA-271HD, Does anyone know if the RF remote's IR function can be learned by other remotes? I have Sony VLZ620 learning remote and it usually works fine learning all other remotes, but I cannot get it to learn this Cisco's remote. I know the remote has RF but it also has IR on top of it, and the cable box has IR receiver since it works with other remotes like Samsung's Galaxy remote app.

PS: I wasn't able to teach codes, so I had to just delete my BD remote, and assign Cisco cable to BD device selector. I was trying to combine functions from different remotes but I'll live with this.
https://docs.sony.com/release/Flyer_4170683121.pdf

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV

Last edited by hyedipin; 01-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
It's one-way I believe. When I had my ATI TV-In Wonder (which I just sold) it worked great but TWC's cards would not allow me to access on demand or start-over or other advanced functionality but it had all channels that normal set top box had. Yes, they gave me digital tuner (larger than what I have now, it was also Cisco) to get the channels properly tuned and sent to my cable card tuner. I'll talk to them this week about promotions.
I have the 100/20 service with a cable card and digital tuning adapter for $97/mo. Been my setup for quite some time (well, the bandwidth has been going up thankfully).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement