Time Warner Cable HDTV - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #9511 of 9531 Old 05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
I think one thing we'll see change is pricing. Charter is taking on some huge debt, and that piper will need to be paid.
Mergers or not, everything go up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9531 Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Question HBO's VoD's The Martian 3D?

Is it me or is it not showing in 3D?

Thank you in advance.
post #9513 of 9531 Old 07-05-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Is it me or is it not showing in 3D?

Thank you in advance.
Haven't tried to watch it, but I'll check tonight if I can remember. Not sure how things work in your system and your hardware, but I had to do two things to watch 3D programming... I had to call TWC and have 3D service turned on for my account, and also had to go in to the box's setup menu and turn on 3D (I have a Cisco 8640 DVR). That was the process back at the last Olympics... for all I know they may now routinely activate 3D on the boxes. There's been so little (if any) 3D programming that I haven't paid much attention since then.
phildaant likes this.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.2_0
post #9514 of 9531 Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Haven't tried to watch it, but I'll check tonight if I can remember. Not sure how things work in your system and your hardware, but I had to do two things to watch 3D programming... I had to call TWC and have 3D service turned on for my account, and also had to go in to the box's setup menu and turn on 3D (I have a Cisco 8640 DVR). That was the process back at the last Olympics... for all I know they may now routinely activate 3D on the boxes. There's been so little (if any) 3D programming that I haven't paid much attention since then.
Weird. You had to contact TWC to do that. Wait, is it free?
post #9515 of 9531 Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Weird. You had to contact TWC to do that. Wait, is it free?
Yes, free... but I definitely had to specifically request it to be activated. May or may not apply at all TWC systems... and even here the policy may have changed since then.
phildaant likes this.

post #9516 of 9531 Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Just checked... The Martian as well as all other HBO 3D VoD offerings are working correctly here.
phildaant likes this.

post #9517 of 9531 Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just checked... The Martian as well as all other HBO 3D VoD offerings are working correctly here.
Interesting and thanks.
post #9518 of 9531 Old 07-09-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just tried Jurassic World 3D from HBO's VoD and it actually prompted to show in 3D or not. I picked its 3D and that worked (saw its split screens). The Martian did not even prompt me with those options last week and today. Uh, is anyone else getting 3D option fron HBO's VoD? Also, the cable box's setting has 3D disabled too so I doubt that makes any difference. Uh...

I tried to go back to 2D for Jurassic World, but it won't let me (no prompt). How do I go back to 2D? Powering off and on (not power cycling -- did not feel like doing that now to wait over five minutes) the cable box didn't fix it. Argh.

Also, I power cycled the box late last night as a weekly routine since the box likes to mess up once in a while.
post #9519 of 9531 Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just tried Jurassic World 3D from HBO's VoD and it actually prompted to show in 3D or not. I picked its 3D and that worked (saw its split screens). The Martian did not even prompt me with those options last week and today. Uh, is anyone else getting 3D option fron HBO's VoD? Also, the cable box's setting has 3D disabled too so I doubt that makes any difference. Uh...

I tried to go back to 2D for Jurassic World, but it won't let me (no prompt). How do I go back to 2D? Powering off and on (not power cycling -- did not feel like doing that now to wait over five minutes) the cable box didn't fix it. Argh.

Also, I power cycled the box late last night as a weekly routine since the box likes to mess up once in a while.
Which OnDemand "portal" did you use to access it?

While I'm sure we'd all agree that we should be able to access whatever is available via any of the several methods/portals at our disposal, the one that I naturally went to and immediately found "The Martian" in 3D was to go to the dedicated HBO OnDemand channel (Channel 510 on the "national" lineup), scroll horizontally to the dedicated "HBO 3D" tab, and chose from a the consolidated menu of all the movies that are available in 3D, of which "The Martian" was one. I never gave any thought to checking any of the other portals.

Based on your response, I've since checked the other portals: Using the main OnDemand portal (Ch. 1000) or the Movies OnDemand portal (Ch. 500), navigating to /HBO/The Martian only gives me an option to play the regular 2D version, just as you've described.

Even within the dedicated HBO 3D tab, the movies are not listed in a consistent manner. Some have the CC and non-CC versions of movies (regular box-generated captioning will not work with side-by-side 3D) directly listed at the top level of the tab, but for others you have to drill down and then are presented with several versions (SD/HD/3D/3DCC) to choose from.

While there is obviously room for improvement in the consistency of presentation, the dearth of OnDemand programming (especially HD OnDemand, nevermind 3D) on the Charter system at Carolina Beach makes me feel grateful for what I have here at home on TWC Charlotte.

BTW, I encountered the first "real" signs of Charterization last night... I was setting up WMC on a PC yesterday and when choosing a guide lineup I was offered "Charter Communications Charlotte HD" instead of the familiar "Time-Warner Charlotte HD" choice. Same familiar lineup... just a bit of a shock as it was the first time I'd seen it presented that way.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by jcalabria; 07-11-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #9520 of 9531 Old 07-11-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which OnDemand "portal" did you use to access it?

While I'm sure we'd all agree that we should be able to access whatever is available via any of the several methods/portals at our disposal, the one that I naturally went to and immediately found "The Martian" in 3D was to go to the dedicated HBO OnDemand channel (Channel 510 on the "national" lineup), scroll horizontally to the dedicated "HBO 3D" tab, and chose from a the consolidated menu of all the movies that are available in 3D, of which "The Martian" was one. I never gave any thought to checking any of the other portals.

Based on your response, I've since checked the other portals: Using the main OnDemand portal (Ch. 1000) or the Movies OnDemand portal (Ch. 500), navigating to /HBO/The Martian only gives me an option to play the regular 2D version, just as you've described.

Even within the dedicated HBO 3D tab, the movies are not listed in a consistent manner. Some have the CC and non-CC versions of movies (regular box-generated captioning will not work with side-by-side 3D) directly listed at the top level of the tab, but for others you have to drill down and then are presented with several versions (SD/HD/3D/3DCC) to choose from.

While there is obviously room for improvement in the consistency of presentation, the dearth of OnDemand programming (especially HD OnDemand, nevermind 3D) on the Charter system at Carolina Beach makes me feel grateful for what I have here at home on TWC Charlotte.

BTW, I encountered the first "real" signs of Charterization last night... I was setting up WMC on a PC yesterday and when choosing a guide lineup I was offered "Charter Communications Charlotte HD" instead of the familiar "Time-Warner Charlotte HD" choice. Same familiar lineup... just a bit of a shock as it was the first time I'd seen it presented that way.
I used the Arris/Motorola cable box's searches for the titles with their 3D. And then, HBO's VoD came up to start them.

I haven't seen any Charter Communications brand yet. I did see a guy working a bright orange vest and spray painting on the street. I am not sure what is that about. Power? Cable? Phone?
post #9521 of 9531 Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Everyone,
Question about the current TWC offers, I am in NY, and I am paying $72 for Basic + HBO + SHOWTIME + Simple STB + 200mbps internet.
I called and I asked if they could remove HBO or SHOWTIME and replace it with STARZ instead, he said no, that's not possible.

What are the current plans for TV? Their website is very limited.
If I have basic TV (starter) + STARZ + 200mbps internet, how much would it be? I wonder if this merger is impacting their deals.

TWCNYC
KDL52W4100TV
post #9522 of 9531 Old 09-16-2016, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Has anyone else lost their on-line TWC account?

I tried to log in this morning and get a message my account has been disabled and to request a new account. Tried to establish the new account and my phone number was not in their records. Tried to establish by my account number, my account number was not in their records. If this is part of the changeover to Charter, it is being poorly done. Shouldn't they be sending us information on how to access/create our accounts under Charter?

Will try to find out more later this morning when I call to cancel my basic cable TV (only keeping internet).
post #9523 of 9531 Old 09-16-2016, 03:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1915 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Just logged in with no problems.
post #9524 of 9531 Old 09-16-2016, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Just logged in with no problems.
Same here... TWC Charlotte

post #9525 of 9531 Old 09-16-2016, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Finally got thru on the phone. TWC had website problems overnight. Everything is fixed and I can again access my account. Have to call back later to cancel my basic cable TV.

Called back to cancel my basic cable TV. They said that because my internet and cable TV was part of a promotional package 3 years ago (the promotion ended 2 years ago and price jumped $20/month), my internet bill alone would be as much as I am paying now for both. Said that was ridiculous since the advertised promotional price for internet alone (20 MPBS) on an upgrade/new account is $40/month less that what I pay now. They finally agreed to leave my package as it is for $16 less per month. Of course, this price is only good for one year. Next year I will have to fight them all over again.

With internet service becoming pretty much mandatory, something needs to be done about these high costs. I'm retired and have gotten zero cost of living increases in social security the past couple of years. With all the increases in electric, water, property taxes, etc., it's getting to where I can barely afford the necessities.
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by mreedelp; 09-16-2016 at 08:03 AM.
post #9526 of 9531 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1456
Since Charter got involved TWC retention seem to have no interest in offering good deals now. Previously I could call and get a fairly good rebate or matching promo bundle price. Not this year. Called last week and they would do nothing, so I'm doing something. Saying goodbye to TWC TV service. Still locked in to the internet until Google Fiber becomes active around here next year but right now there are more and more ways to go over-the-top of TWC at half the cost with less hassle.

Maybe they will offer me something when I turn in my equipment or send me a begging letter after the fact, but right now they are just pricing themselves out of customers.

post #9527 of 9531 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

Called back to cancel my basic cable TV. They said that because my internet and cable TV was part of a promotional package 3 years ago (the promotion ended 2 years ago and price jumped $20/month), my internet bill alone would be as much as I am paying now for both. Said that was ridiculous since the advertised promotional price for internet alone (20 MPBS) on an upgrade/new account is $40/month less that what I pay now. They finally agreed to leave my package as it is for $16 less per month. Of course, this price is only good for one year. Next year I will have to fight them all over again.
I go through that every year.
post #9528 of 9531 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Since Charter got involved TWC retention seem to have no interest in offering good deals now. Previously I could call and get a fairly good rebate or matching promo bundle price. Not this year. Called last week and they would do nothing, so I'm doing something. Saying goodbye to TWC TV service. Still locked in to the internet until Google Fiber becomes active around here next year but right now there are more and more ways to go over-the-top of TWC at half the cost with less hassle.

Maybe they will offer me something when I turn in my equipment or send me a begging letter after the fact, but right now they are just pricing themselves out of customers.
Interesting. I may be doing the same in November.
post #9529 of 9531 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Interesting. I may be doing the same in November.
You can see where things are heading here: http://stopthecap.com/2016/09/07/tim...al-price-list/

"We expect Charter’s retention department to deliver a tougher line on retention packages and promotions than Time Warner Cable gave customers. Once these promotional prices expire, your rates will step up each year for two years thereafter until you reach the “rack rate” — Charter’s regular pricing. Your ability to secure new customer pricing again will probably require you to bounce between providers or cancel/come back as a new customer. I am told by long-time Charter customers that Charter’s retention prices are usually not as good as new customer pricing."

post #9530 of 9531 Old Today, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 43
so, I'm about in this position, having to cancel and come back to twc ..
Was wondering if anyone knows how long you have to cancel for before you
are considered a 'new customer' ???
thanks for replies..
post #9531 of 9531 Old Today, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
so, I'm about in this position, having to cancel and come back to twc ..
Was wondering if anyone knows how long you have to cancel for before you are considered a 'new customer' ???
thanks for replies..
Once you are gone you may not care. If you have a fast broadband option then you will have more and more alternatives to TWC. Hulu have a live TV service coming up, DirecTV are planning a streaming TV service, Vue already exists, Sling ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming