Time Warner Cable HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
HDTV Programming > Time Warner Cable HDTV
squeak49's Avatar squeak49 10:56 AM 07-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV View Post

Email I received from TWC yesterday:

"It has come to my attention that you have contacted several people at Time Warner Cable asking highly technical questions. I am concerned because the answers to many of those questions are considered proprietary to Time Warner Cable. Please contact me regarding this issue."

Tom Allen
Vice President Security
Time Warner Cable of NY/NJ
-
-
-
I Might have to take a break from my investigating, I'm stepping on some toes.

Good. I'm glad you're getting this level of attention. Basically, you're a customer unhappy with the level of service you're getting (as are the rest of us), and looking for answers. It's doubtful, but maybe that level of visibility will force some action to be made. I'd call him and share your thoughts. Even though he's in Security and not Customer Service or Programming, it can't hurt.

gb4fan92's Avatar gb4fan92 11:13 AM 07-24-2006
Quote:

"It has come to my attention that you have contacted several people at Time Warner Cable asking highly technical questions. I am concerned because the answers to many of those questions are considered proprietary to Time Warner Cable. Please contact me regarding this issue."

Tom Allen
Vice President Security
-
-
-

Perhaps this letter came from Tom's brother Tim??
LL3HD's Avatar LL3HD 12:03 PM 07-24-2006
Quote:

Tom Allen
Vice President Security
-
-
-

After reading the response to Andy's letter, for some reason, my imagination seems to conjure up the image of Wilfred Brimley's character from the movie The Firm.
CuseHokie's Avatar CuseHokie 06:34 PM 07-24-2006
Do what this guy did...

Call him up and record it, then call NBC or something...

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...aol-180392.php
AndyHDTV's Avatar AndyHDTV 10:14 PM 07-24-2006
thank you for the email, I try to ask questions that would help all of TWC's HD subscribers. Don't be worried if my questions worry you as you and others obviously can refuse to answer them. As I said I only ask questions to help myself and others know what's going on with additional HD channels. As for the technical info, I get them from online articles that executives participate in. So it's really not Top Secret info I'm inquiring about.
I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, even though It might appear that I am.
Would you rather me contact you by phone about this matter?
Thank you, Andy
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 04:19 AM 07-25-2006
Should we start sending donations to a legal fund to pay for Andy's 'get-out-of-jail' bills (like those for Scooter Libby)? Or start asking celebrities and musicians to use their clout to ask the governor for clemency? My boss has Martin Sheen's phone number!
CuseHokie's Avatar CuseHokie 05:15 PM 07-25-2006
Quote:

thank you for the email, I try to ask questions that would help all of TWC's HD subscribers. Don't be worried if my questions worry you as you and others obviously can refuse to answer them. As I said I only ask questions to help myself and others know what's going on with additional HD channels. As for the technical info, I get them from online articles that executives participate in. So it's really not Top Secret info I'm inquiring about.
I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, even though It might appear that I am.
Would you rather me contact you by phone about this matter?
Thank you, Andy

It's no different than asking a car salesman about a car, or 2007-2008 model differences...

Blah... they are just trying to scare you for some odd reason.
VisionOn's Avatar VisionOn 05:54 PM 07-25-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseHokie View Post

Blah... they are just trying to scare you for some odd reason.

Let's hope he doesn't find the AVS Forum. He'll have a coronary, what with all the "top secret" TWC technology under discussion. Like forcing an SATA drive to work on an 8300, going into the menu to access the system info, and reposts of their top secret OCAP plans that are published on tech news sites!

I can hear the black helicopters now ...
Daryl L's Avatar Daryl L 09:33 AM 07-26-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Let's hope he doesn't find the AVS Forum. He'll have a coronary, what with all the "top secret" TWC technology under discussion. Like forcing an SATA drive to work on an 8300, going into the menu to access the system info, and reposts of their top secret OCAP plans that are published on tech news sites!

I can hear the black helicopters now ...

HEAD FER THE HILLS!!!
AndyHDTV's Avatar AndyHDTV 09:23 PM 07-26-2006
An inquiry was sent today to Time Warner Cable of Raleigh, NC. It was concerning the costs of CableCards leased from Time Warner Cable for use in the soon to be released Series 3 HD Tivo. According to this service representative Time Warner Cable of Raleigh, and presumably other cities, will not be supporting the Series 3 Tivo. The representative claims that Time Warner Cable of Raleigh will NOT install cable cards in Tivo devices nor will they allow Tivo's to access their network. If this is true, it is completely outrageous and unacceptable. Please note that customer service representatives are not known for their skill, knowledge, or awareness of what is and is not true, so this particular representative's response may not be accurate. However, it does sound as if this person knows that Time Warner Cable of Raleigh will not install cable cards in Tivo devices.

http://www.consumerfury.com/twcraleigh072506.aspx
toadfannc's Avatar toadfannc 06:17 AM 07-28-2006
Get ready all you TWC football haters ...

Check out this article in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...l-network_x.htm

I LOVE IT!!!!! Finally, TWC is being exposed. I can't wait until I see the first ad that the NFL Network runs that mentions Time Warner. I especially like the NFL Network rep's quote:

"We think it's asinine that Time Warner (the nation's No. 2 cable provider) carries 12 shopping channels and 50 other channels you don't want but can't find room for one dedicated to the most popular sport in this country," Palansky says. "We're replacing the kid gloves with bare knuckles."

Amen.

The way I see it, TWC now has 2 choices. They can continue their current stance of ignoring customer demand and crying the blues about subscription fees (while they count the record profits they are reaping from you and me)-- all the while not giving a damn how many THOUSANDS of subscribers leave for satellite. OR, they will grudgingly sign up with the NFL ... for about double the cost that they could have gotten 2 years ago.

So, all you shopping channel lovers, can get busy and dial your favorite TWC sychophant and tell them to hold firm and not bend under the pressure of the mean old NFL. Somehow, I think that the football lovers who will finally realize what TWC is doing, will also pick up the phone (better yet, email our pal Fred Dressler, TWC VP of Programming at fred.dressler@twcable.com) -- and I bet they out number the sports haters.

I don't blame the NFL for doing this-- they know that most cable subscribers just sit back ignorantly, and take whatever is jammed down their throat--- sound familiar (i.e. federal government ... but that's another story for another day)?

It shall be interesting, at the very least!!!!
daniels1994's Avatar daniels1994 06:47 AM 07-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc View Post

Get ready all you TWC football haters ...

Check out this article in today's USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/foot...l-network_x.htm

I LOVE IT!!!!! Finally, TWC is being exposed. I can't wait until I see the first ad that the NFL Network runs that mentions Time Warner. I especially like the NFL Network rep's quote:

"We think it's asinine that Time Warner (the nation's No. 2 cable provider) carries 12 shopping channels and 50 other channels you don't want but can't find room for one dedicated to the most popular sport in this country," Palansky says. "We're replacing the kid gloves with bare knuckles."

Amen.

The way I see it, TWC now has 2 choices. They can continue their current stance of ignoring customer demand and crying the blues about subscription fees (while they count the record profits they are reaping from you and me)-- all the while not giving a damn how many THOUSANDS of subscribers leave for satellite. OR, they will grudgingly sign up with the NFL ... for about double the cost that they could have gotten 2 years ago.

So, all you shopping channel lovers, can get busy and dial your favorite TWC sychophant and tell them to hold firm and not bend under the pressure of the mean old NFL. Somehow, I think that the football lovers who will finally realize what TWC is doing, will also pick up the phone (better yet, email our pal Fred Dressler, TWC VP of Programming at fred.dressler@twcable.com) -- and I bet they out number the sports haters.

I don't blame the NFL for doing this-- they know that most cable subscribers just sit back ignorantly, and take whatever is jammed down their throat--- sound familiar (i.e. federal government ... but that's another story for another day)?

It shall be interesting, at the very least!!!!

The article also mentions that the one thing cable companies are scared of is when customers walk thru the door. Unfortunely here in New York City, Time Warner is still the only game in town. RCN has little impact, Cablevision very little here in New York City, rip-off sattelite company Direct TV is hard to get in apartment buildings (because of the dish, never mind that their DVR service is kindergarden stuff and it would cost you plenty of dinner $$$ to get Sunday NFL ticket, not even worth it.) So I really don't expect the NFL network to make an appearance on the NYC Time Warner system.
AndyHDTV's Avatar AndyHDTV 07:44 AM 07-28-2006
Marcus Carr's Avatar Marcus Carr 08:00 AM 07-28-2006
Time Warner giving boot to NFL Network

By ALAN PERGAMENT
News TV Critic
7/28/2006

The NFL Network very likely will be thrown for a loss Tuesday locally and nationally when it is expected to be dropped from the cable lineup after Adelphia's long-awaited takeover by Time Warner is completed.
With the Buffalo Bills opening training camp and the league's network planning to carry 52 preseason games, the likely move to drop the channel couldn't come at a worse time for the local Adelphia subscribers who will be switched to Time Warner on Tuesday.

Buffalo, Dallas and Cleveland are the three NFL markets that had been getting The NFL Network and will lose it in the Adelphia-Time Warner deal, according to an NFL Network spokesman.

"We pleaded to be left on while we continue to negotiate," e-mailed the spokesman, "especially since the first of 52 preseason games and 12 inside training camp shows begin, but Time Warner refused."

Gordon Harp, the Buffalo division president of Time Warner, confirmed Thursday night that the cable company is notifying subscribers through newspaper advertisements and other means of the strong possibility that the football network that currently is available on basic cable in Western New York will be dropped on Tuesday.

"We're providing notification in case it happens," Harp said. "We're still negotiating. Hopefully, we'll work out an agreement."

However, the advertisement plans and the fact that Time Warner hasn't been able to make a national deal with The NFL Network for three years makes a quick, positive resolution very unlikely.

A spokesman for The NFL Network said it plans to launch its own marketing campaign to let Buffalo viewers understand their options. It has set up a number, (866) 635-6389 (NFL-Network), for people to complain to Time Warner about the planned move. The NFL Network also is making cable subscribers aware that it has reached deals with satellite providers Dish Network and DirecTV on their "most affordable, basic packages."

Adelphia had put The NFL Network, which launched in November 2003, on basic cable locally when it folded the Empire Sports Network. Long term, the move also was designed to compete with satellite providers.

Time Warner's quick move to drop The NFL Network is a surprise since cable systems are believed to need 30 days notice before dropping a channel.

"They contend [they don't]," explained the NFL Network spokesman.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...28/1027649.asp
swamphhh's Avatar swamphhh 08:29 AM 07-28-2006
I was a satellite customer for over 5 years but when I switched to HD I also switched to TWC. At the time it was because TWC, in Charlotte at least, flat out beat both sat providers in so far as their HD lineup. And I liked having cable on all the extra TVs all over the house without having to worry about a sat box. Heck I have cable in the garage. In addition, I didn't have to buy the HD equipment which at the time was very expensive, especially the HD DVR. In fact I sold all my Sat stuff to Canadians and ended up making a lot of money on the deal.

Well, I've been happy with the whole deal until very recently. TWC has not added a new HD channel since ESPN. Meanwhile, as TWC sits on their hands, the HD lineup of the Sat providers continues to improve and they are even bringing local HD on line for Charlotte. Long story short, I'm looking at the sat providers again. I would likely keep a minimal TWC service but once I give back all the DVRs and and downgrade the service level TWC would be out nearly $100. But it isn't even about the money. Its the programming. Dish especially offers much more HD than TWC and unless TWC gets busy that gap is only going to increase. TWC HD customers may be few, but frequently they are full boat customers and the football issue will only add to the dissatisfaction.
aknbad23's Avatar aknbad23 04:30 AM 07-29-2006
When will TWC get more regular HD channels? Like A&E, USA, MSNBC, MTV, History, Sci Fi, UPN, TBS, etc?
toadfannc's Avatar toadfannc 04:37 AM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphhh View Post

I was a satellite customer for over 5 years but when I switched to HD I also switched to TWC. At the time it was because TWC, in Charlotte at least, flat out beat both sat providers in so far as their HD lineup. And I liked having cable on all the extra TVs all over the house without having to worry about a sat box. Heck I have cable in the garage. In addition, I didn't have to buy the HD equipment which at the time was very expensive, especially the HD DVR. In fact I sold all my Sat stuff to Canadians and ended up making a lot of money on the deal.

Well, I've been happy with the whole deal until very recently. TWC has not added a new HD channel since ESPN. Meanwhile, as TWC sits on their hands, the HD lineup of the Sat providers continues to improve and they are even bringing local HD on line for Charlotte. Long story short, I'm looking at the sat providers again. I would likely keep a minimal TWC service but once I give back all the DVRs and and downgrade the service level TWC would be out nearly $100. But it isn't even about the money. Its the programming. Dish especially offers much more HD than TWC and unless TWC gets busy that gap is only going to increase. TWC HD customers may be few, but frequently they are full boat customers and the football issue will only add to the dissatisfaction.

Email Fred Dressler (VP of Programming for TWC) and tell him exactly what you posted here.

fred.dressler@twcable.com
toadfannc's Avatar toadfannc 04:40 AM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

The article also mentions that the one thing cable companies are scared of is when customers walk thru the door. Unfortunely here in New York City, Time Warner is still the only game in town. RCN has little impact, Cablevision very little here in New York City, rip-off sattelite company Direct TV is hard to get in apartment buildings (because of the dish, never mind that their DVR service is kindergarden stuff and it would cost you plenty of dinner $$$ to get Sunday NFL ticket, not even worth it.) So I really don't expect the NFL network to make an appearance on the NYC Time Warner system.

The only way is for YOU, ME and all the other pissed customers to barrage them with calls and emails at fred.dressler@twcable.com (VP of Programming for TWC). If you just sit back and take it-- you're right they won't do anything.
pwrmetal's Avatar pwrmetal 09:08 AM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadfannc View Post

The only way is for YOU, ME and all the other pissed customers to barrage them with calls and emails at fred.dressler@twcable.com (VP of Programming for TWC). If you just sit back and take it-- you're right they won't do anything.

Has anyone actually received a response after doing this?
kjpjr's Avatar kjpjr 09:25 AM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmetal View Post

Has anyone actually received a response after doing this?

This is a copy of my last email to and from freddie his answer is on top, my first email is on the bottom. This was sent ans received before the NFL stuff was in the papers.

i agree with your conclusion. however, it still takes two to make a deal. we find it unconsionable that espn refuses to honor its contract, but it does. that's why you don't have espn2hd. the nfl, on the other hand, has been offered a slot on all our cable systems, but the nfl wants every cable subscriber (nfl fan or not) to receive the service and pay for it. that is the problem with that one.

we'll keep working on both until someone blinks. thanks for your continued business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:02 PM
To: Dressler, Fred
Subject: NFL network

When will we get the NFL Network? I see that they now have the rights to a few of the college bowl games. How much more do we have to miss? ESPN2HD for college football would be nice also. Since I already pay for ESPN HD because the other HD channels in that package I hardly ever watch, why can't the Duce HD just go there?

One of you needs to blink soon.

Ken
Gary J's Avatar Gary J 02:12 PM 07-29-2006
Are you sure that is from him? I find the punctuation and spelling unconscionable.
dad1153's Avatar dad1153 02:20 PM 07-29-2006
I love it when arrogant, selfish and financially-sound monopolies trade blows with each other in front of the world. Let 'em both bleed and let 'em both move a little (which for TWC customers would be a lot given how slow and unresponsive it is to customer complaints).
aknbad23's Avatar aknbad23 03:33 PM 07-29-2006
Anyone know when we will get more regular HD channels with TWC? Like A&E, USA, MSNBC, MTV, History, Sci Fi, UPN, TBS, etc?
Daryl L's Avatar Daryl L 03:50 PM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknbad23 View Post

Anyone know when we will get more regular HD channels with TWC? Like A&E, USA, MSNBC, MTV, History, Sci Fi, UPN, TBS, etc?

Say atleast a couple+ years? And forget UPN completely. They will be no more UPN come September.
posg's Avatar posg 07:11 PM 07-29-2006
Quote:

Almost none of the services you mention even has an HD product available as if yet.
AndyHDTV's Avatar AndyHDTV 07:40 PM 07-29-2006
Quote:

A&E-HD's official launch is in September
USA's & Sci-Fi's HD programming is on Universal-HD
MTV's HD programming is on MHD
UPN-HD is converting to "MyNetworkTV" and will debut in September
TBS-HD is only available in ATL & only for Braves Games.
History-HD has a 2007 launch date
& MSNBC-HD doesn't exist.
kjpjr's Avatar kjpjr 08:15 PM 07-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Are you sure that is from him? I find the punctuation and spelling unconscionable.

It was sent to his email adress and came back from that address so I assume it is him but with TW who knows!
pwrmetal's Avatar pwrmetal 09:00 AM 07-31-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post

This is a copy of my last email to and from freddie his answer is on top, my first email is on the bottom. This was sent ans received before the NFL stuff was in the papers.

i agree with your conclusion. however, it still takes two to make a deal. we find it unconsionable that espn refuses to honor its contract, but it does. that's why you don't have espn2hd.

Does anyone know what he means by ESPN "refus[ing] to honor its contract"?
AndyHDTV's Avatar AndyHDTV 10:01 AM 07-31-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmetal View Post

Does anyone know what he means by ESPN "refus[ing] to honor its contract"?

Not 100% sure but maybe in the current contract it says we are supposed to get it. And they are holding it back to try and bundle it with other channels.

just a theory.

somebody should ask dressler, as he doesn't reply to any of my emails anymore.
HDTV-NUT's Avatar HDTV-NUT 10:17 AM 07-31-2006
The only way to get your message across is to drop TWC. Emails to Dressler will do nothing. He responds with the same garbage to every email. He simply pushes the blame off to someone else.

I finally got tired of the BS and took my 2 8300's back to the TWC office and cancelled all service. The 8300 would freeze with HDMI, the DVR would sometimes freeze, firmware upgrades that screw things up more then help, lack of HD channels, lack of programming on the HD channels, the list goes on and on. To top it all off, my bill was $197.50 a month. I now only have OTA HD and that is fine with me. If more people would do as I have done, TWC would get it together quick..

Emailing and and complaining does nothing with TWC. They simply sit there and rake in the money and add great programming such as, "Christmas Tunes On Demand", "Last weeks weather On Demand", and "Watch a dog take a sh*t on Demand"..
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop