"The Unit" on CBS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 538 Old 04-11-2006, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My son lives in Beirut and says that you can't legally get through customs if your passport has Israeli stamps, so they obviously got into the country without showing their passports. But if anyone has to show their passport at the Iranian embassy their cover will be blown. I don't think the 'problem' had anything to to do with the operative being jewish. btw I did not see the the last 10 minutes of the show after they left the embassy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 538 Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

One liner of the year from this show: "If you want to micro manage little pieces go play chess." I hear that and cracked up.
post #183 of 538 Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombarry View Post

btw I did not see the the last 10 minutes of the show after they left the embassy.

Well, then... you missed it...
post #184 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My son lives in Beirut and says that you can't legally get through customs if your passport has Israeli stamps, so they obviously got into the country without showing their passports. But if anyone has to show their passport at the Iranian embassy their cover will be blown. I don't think the 'problem' had anything to to do with the operative being jewish. btw I did not see the the last 10 minutes of the show after they left the embassy.

The last 10 minutes explained your comments above.

Tony
post #185 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thought this week's episode, written by Mamet, the series creator, was quite effective. Nice show. Too bad he can't crank out most of the shows, although that's a lot of writing. -- John
post #186 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 AM

This show is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I thought I'd hate seein the wives involved, but seeing one mess up and get her husband kicked out was awesome. The one thing I don't get is, why give only one transmitter? Even if they're expensive, having each member have one would have made the transfer to the double agent easier (I know they didn't use the agent, but the mission planners couldn't have known).
post #187 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

The one thing I don't get is, why give only one transmitter? Even if they're expensive, having each member have one would have made the transfer to the double agent easier (I know they didn't use the agent, but the mission planners couldn't have known).

Obviously it was never their plan to use the double agent woman, they wanted it in the limo where a conversation that they might actually get good intel on would be heard.
post #188 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think this show is progressing nicely, and hopefully gets a full season order from CBS for next season. My wife is on board to bypass 'House' for this show, so I'm enjoying the change of pace. Good show, CBS!
post #189 of 538 Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

Obviously it was never their plan to use the double agent woman, they wanted it in the limo where a conversation that they might actually get good intel on would be heard.

Yes, the men from The Unit had it planned that way, but you'd think that the CIA (who only knew of the plan involving the double agent) would have given them more than one transmitter as Milmanias said.
post #190 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think the question is whether the gambit was just misleading the audience or also the Iranians.

Obviously, the CIA chick had no clue as to the real plan. But was the unit counting on a leak and the Iranians watching the wrong people? The leader was treated courteously, but carefully monitored the entire time, and never could have passed the bug. Counting on some type of leak (maybe the dork diplomat) may have been of the total plan.
post #191 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

She was supposed to plant it on someone. Apparently Sgt Major decided that was less effective than his unit taking care of it their own way. So he faked the passport and changed the plan without the other agencies knowing.

I'm impressed with the trust he and the Col. put in the newest member almost every episode. Don't know a thing about such a unit IRL, but you'd think there'd be a honeymoon period.
post #192 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

In that business, there is no honeymoon period. There's no ramp up time for that first mission. Get the kinks out in training, or you're out.

They've touched a bit on the fact that they are training constantly for specific needs. When the soldiers are selected for the job, they're already very proficient at what they do. I'd imagaine that they're all at elast E-6 and up with a CIB, Ranger school, current jump qual etc.

then again, I have seen 18 year olds go into Navy BUDs (and make it into the teams)- thanks, Discovery channel.
post #193 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post

She was supposed to plant it on someone. Apparently Sgt Major decided that was less effective than his unit taking care of it their own way. So he faked the passport and changed the plan without the other agencies knowing.

I'm impressed with the trust he and the Col. put in the newest member almost every episode. Don't know a thing about such a unit IRL, but you'd think there'd be a honeymoon period.

Nah, it was planned the way it down from the beginning. Bob and Mack were practicing the destraction/stealing of walkie-talkie before Jonas was told that Bob Brown would not be allowed inside the embassy. Also, they had his faked passport ahead of time, all ready to go so that he would get intentionally flagged as not being able to enter. They went from one embassy to the other right after they were told he would not be allowed in, so they must have had that fake passport beforehand.

The original plan, the one the CIA was monitoring, was for the woman to plant it in the conference room (or maybe on a specific person, but not likely). She would get the bug from Jonas (hidden behind his bandage), except that it was never there to begin with (Bob had it from the beginning). The other members of the team had to play along like they were going to use the woman to plant it, knowing the entire time that Brown was taking care of it on the outside.

Anyway, there was no point in each member having their own bug/transmitter. The "real" plan was to have one bug inside the limo, where "real" covert discussions would be made (not in the embassy, where they couldn't discuss things publicly).
post #194 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The real interesting thing was that neither the Fake or Real 'Entry Stamp' looked anything like the true Israeli entry stamp (it's not a circle or octagon shape but more like a hexagon that was elongated horizontally. And the Hebrew characters are different. I don't speak or read Hebrew, but I believe one of the words was the same as used on doors for 'Entry' but it's not on my entry stamp. And the character on the far right was not even Hebrew as far as I know.

That said, it did look remarkably similar to an Israeli 'Exit Stamp', again the words were different though. This actually had me fooled for a little bit, but I decided to pull out my passport and see how accurate it was.

BTW, Israel avoids stamping passports of Muslim nations for the exact reason mentioned above. Instead they stamp a peice of paper (like a visa) that you just keep with the passport. I've traveled to Israel on business on a number of ocassions and have seen this done with co-workers who are from Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

CCourtney
post #195 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyway, there was no point in each member having their own bug/transmitter. The "real" plan was to have one bug inside the limo, where "real" covert discussions would be made (not in the embassy, where they couldn't discuss things publicly).

Again, the CIA didn't know the "real" plan, so there was definitely a point for them to supply each member with a transmitter.
post #196 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidenT View Post

Again, the CIA didn't know the "real" plan, so there was definitely a point for them to supply each member with a transmitter.

Wasn't the CIA the supplier of the transmitter? And if they CIA expected the plant to be the 'woman' why would they have supplied multiple transmitters? Especially when they were ready to call of the mission because Jonas could not pass the bug to the 'woman/double agent'

The more transmitters you send in, even though they're not transmitting anything until the 'hit air', the more likely that they would be discovered.

It was fairly obvious that there was a CIA leak and that the Iranian Security Agent with Jonas knew of the plan, and kept him in the room so he could not pass off the 'bug' to be planted. This was solidified in my mind when the Iranian Security Agent told Jonas 'Goodbye my friend. I trust we kept you occupied. It was hard to distract an old warrior, but I succeeded. I enjoyed our time together. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.' I suspected it from the way the CIA agent lady was acting, and I suspect that the person colluding with the Iranian Security Agent was the Diplomat in charge of affairs who took the Knife at the end of the episode. He had a 'you screwed me royally' attitude about the successful mission.

CCourtney
post #197 of 538 Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
That's the way I read the whole thing, especially when you consider that security of information was the basis for the whole episode(the wives storyline). The Iranians knew of the CIA plan and the Unit circumvented that problem by doing their own thing, and ultimately succeeding.
post #198 of 538 Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1courtney View Post

Wasn't the CIA the supplier of the transmitter? And if they CIA expected the plant to be the 'woman' why would they have supplied multiple transmitters? Especially when they were ready to call of the mission because Jonas could not pass the bug to the 'woman/double agent'

Ok, so I think we can agree that:
1. The CIA provided the transmitter
2. The CIA didn't know about The Unit's alternate plan
3. Most of the CIA people didn't know about the leak

Therefore, if you have more than one Unit member that will be in the embassy and will potentially come in contact with the 'woman/double agent', why not give all of them a transmitter? Mack could have easily given it to her while Jonas was being "distracted" which, if you're one of the CIA people, seemed to be the only chance they had. It's circular logic to say it's ok that CIA didn't think they need to give him one just because everything worked out ok in the end.
post #199 of 538 Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

why not give all of them a transmitter?

More transmitters = higher risk of getting caught. They must have been patted down and/or searched before entering the Iranian embassy, which is why the CIA had Jonas conceal the device inside of a bandage for a fake wound. Bob didn't get searched since he wasn't going inside the embassy.
post #200 of 538 Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

More transmitters = higher risk of getting caught. They must have been patted down and/or searched before entering the Iranian embassy, which is why the CIA had Jonas conceal the device inside of a bandage for a fake wound. Bob didn't get searched since he wasn't going inside the embassy.

Wasn't the bandage just used for the woman to identify the carrier of the transmitter? I don't recall anyone saying the transmitter was placed inside it. Didn't jonas already have the bandage on while the woman was showing them the transmitter and how it worked?
post #201 of 538 Old 04-14-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wasn't the bandage just used for the woman to identify the carrier of the transmitter? I don't recall anyone saying the transmitter was placed inside it. Didn't jonas already have the bandage on while the woman was showing them the transmitter and how it worked?

Yeah, you're right. Nevermind.
post #202 of 538 Old 04-14-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Nah, it was planned the way it down from the beginning. Bob and Mack were practicing the destraction/stealing of walkie-talkie before Jonas was told that Bob Brown would not be allowed inside the embassy. Also, they had his faked passport ahead of time, all ready to go so that he would get intentionally flagged as not being able to enter. They went from one embassy to the other right after they were told he would not be allowed in, so they must have had that fake passport beforehand.

That's what I said, but it's not quite from the very beginning. Jonas' team changed the plan as originally received from the CIA and created the issue with the fake stamps in the passport to force their modified plan to work. The CIA woman clearly thought the inside-woman was still part of the plan. They wanted the other agencies to discover the passport "problem" to make the last second change seem real. Trust no one outside the Unit, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcable View Post

In that business, there is no honeymoon period. There's no ramp up time for that first mission. Get the kinks out in training, or you're out.

But the team has to work together. I don't mean skills, he wouldn't be there if he didn't have them, I mean trust and cohesion between team members.
post #203 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

No comments on last night's show?

I thought it was pretty good, but his old partner (wheel chair) was a little MUCH if you ask me. I thought it ended quite depressing. My wife put herself in that position (in her mind) and it bothered her quite a bit.

Tony
post #204 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

No comments on last night's show?

I thought it was pretty good, but his old partner (wheel chair) was a little MUCH if you ask me. I thought it ended quite depressing. My wife put herself in that position (in her mind) and it bothered her quite a bit.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It felt very much like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on my Xbox 360. Everything from the UAV drone sending video to their PDA, to the grenade launching machine gun fire, to the helicopter... felt like I was watching a video game (either that, or GRAW is extremely realistic).

Oh yeah, and we had strippers too. How long until Kim decides to make some extra money at the stripper pole? Maybe she'll bring Tiffy with her? As long as Molly's not invited, that's cool with me.

Firearms, high-tech battle gear, explosions, strip clubs. All round good episode, hehe.
post #205 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I though it was one of the best eps so far, and next week looks good too.
post #206 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I thought last night was another great episode - I too think the old partner was a bit much, but the fact that this show is about people as well and not just another shoot em up drama makes it interesting.
post #207 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It's becoming one of my favorite shows. I really liked how they focused on the "No man left behind" scenario. Even though Jonas knew he wouldn't make it, he stayed by his side.

I can't imagine being the hurt that guy's wife would feel once she finds out he's gone and she didn't answer the "out of area" call and let it go to Voice Mail. At least she got to hear his voice.

Tony
post #208 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I can't imagine being the hurt that guy's wife would feel once she finds out he's gone and she didn't answer the "out of area" call and let it go to Voice Mail. At least she got to hear his voice.

Yeah, and she'll be even more pissed off if she deleted the message after listening to it.
post #209 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 PM

Really liked lsat night's show.
I've been reading Eric Haney's book, "Inside Delta Force"
and this show is a visual representation of some parts of the book.

Yea the wheelchair guy was a bit much but all this stuff is pretty true to life.

Glad to see they added a lot of action to the last few episodes.

Too bad they only have 5 more episodes this season.
post #210 of 538 Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My DVR recording stopped about three seconds into the "next week's episode" portion. Would somone mind recapping the preview for me?

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page