2006 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament on CBS - The National Championship Game! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please place all related comments for tonight's game in this topic.

It's very important to be specific with your info, including location, station call letters, and source - Local over-the-air reception / Cable Company / DirecTV (channel number) / Dish Network (channel number).

All Times ET. Tonight's schedule in 1080i HDTV & DD 5.1:

The 2006 NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Game
9pm - Pre Game Show
9:21pm - #3 Florida Gators vs. #2 UCLA Bruins

Quote:
From CBS SportsLine.com

The Edge - UCLA vs. Florida

UCLA Bruins
How they got here: Won Pac-10 Conference Tournament; Routed 15th-seeded Belmont 78-44 in the first round; Missed 7 of 9 free-throw attempts down the stretch, but escaped 10th-seeded Alabama 62-59 in the second round (Jordan Farmer 18 points, five 3-pointers); In the Oakland regional semis, they were outshot, outrebounded and didn't take their first lead until 10 seconds remained, but they got hot late to complete a spirited rally that resulted in a 73-71 victory over third-seeded Gonzaga; Smothered top-seeded Memphis in the regional final, holding the Tigers to 30 percent from the floor in a 50-45 victory. Free throws were again a problem as the Bruins were an atrocious 20 of 39 from the line; Dominated LSU offensively and defensively for a 59-45 victory and a chance at their 12th national title.

Coach: Ben Howland, three years at UCLA, two years in NCAA Tournament.

Go-to guys: Sophomore guards Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo are the Bruins' primary scorers. Farmar initiates the offense from the point and leads the Pac-10 in assists. Afflalo is an excellent 3-point shooter and an improving man-to-man defender. Few teams can comfortably match up with these two all-Pac-10 guards.

Strengths: The Bruins like to play games in the 60s, dictating tempo with their defense. Very much as he did with his teams at Pitt, coach Ben Howland coaches a physical inside game, and UCLA shuffles big men in and out of the game to wear down opponents. The backcourt tandem of Farmar and Afflalo is the Pac-10's best.

Weaknesses: UCLA gets sporadic scoring from its frontcourt and can become too reliant at times on getting offense from Farmar and Afflalo. When either of them has an off-game, the Bruins can sputter offensively. Most of the Bruins' depth is provided by freshmen, although they have grown during the season.

Florida Gators
How they got here: Won SEC Tournament; Defeated No. 14 seed South Alabama 76-50 in the first round (Joakim Noah 16 points, eight rebounds and seven assists); Crushed No. 11 seed Wisconsin-Milwaukee 82-60 (Corey Brewer 23 points). The Gators did not trail in the first two rounds; Edged seventh-seeded Georgetown 57-53 in the Minneapolis regional semis (Noah 15 points, 10 rebounds, five blocks); Overpowered top-seeded Villanova 75-62 in the regional final (Noah 21 points, 15 rebounds, five blocks; Al Horford 12 points, 15 rebounds); Tied a Final Four record with 12 3-pointers and pounded George Mason on the boards 40-27 for a 73-58 victory which pushed them into the final for the second time in school history.

Coach: Billy Donovan, 10 years at Florida, eight years in NCAA Tournament with Gators.

Go-to guys: Sophomore Joakim Noah has developed into one of the most effective big men in the conference. His long arms made him an especially effective defender, and he is an accurate shooter. Classmate Corey Brewer is one of the more athletic forwards around but was hampered by an ankle injury in late-January and early-February. Guard Taurean Green, another sophomore, doesn't shoot for a high percentage but is a good assist man.

Strengths: Florida finished the regular season only 7-6 after winning its first 17 games, but the Gators were competitive in all their games with their worst loss by six points at South Carolina, and they closed with an impressive win at Kentucky. They are the second-highest scoring team out of the SEC and their average 15-point winning margin was by far the largest in the conference. They are young, starting four sophomores and a junior, and they bring a couple of freshmen off their bench. But they also are deep enough to play eight or nine players a game.

Weaknesses: The Gators were outrebounded in five of their six losses, and turnovers were a problem in all but their loss at Alabama, where they had only nine (to Alabama's nine) but were outrebounded 42-33. Green has had his moments -- he led the Gators in scoring 10 times during the regular season -- but he shoots under 40 percent overall and under 30 percent from 3-point range. It's not a bad strategy to try to keep junior Lee Humphrey under control on the perimeter and play Green for the pass.

Frontcourt Edge - Florida
Backcourt Edge - Even

The Ultimate Edge - Slight, to Florida!

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oh well right now WREG-DT OTA in Memphis is dead... we are getting the dreaded "Searching for signal"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7425918

Jerry
post #3 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
This is the fourth consecutive game the "edge" has gone to the UCLA opponent.
Go Bruins.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Picture looks beautiful! Looks like the boys spent a lot of time getting it just right
post #5 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall
Picture looks beautiful! Looks like the boys spent a lot of time getting it just right

I agree, the game looks wonderful. No bluring or blocking so far.

KIRO-DT
OTA
Seattle
post #6 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I've seen a few instances of blurring here on Comcast. Also some strange audio, seems like when the crowd really explodes, the volume levels are cut.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The PQ looks amazing. I'm watching OTA in Miami.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Main court shot is very soft on DirecTV... almost looks like chromatic abberations on the lens at times. Other angles look great.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM

Liked: 11
Interesting that the graphics during the intro to the half time report were set to 4:3 on a 16:9 screen. You could see the graphics fly in from a 4:3 position. Odd effect
post #10 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:40 PM

Damn, did u see that splash on that G6 commercial.
post #11 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:45 PM

Picture looks great...but man the rim mic is really hot in the mix...

Donald :)

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #12 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:53 PM

HD MI-3 commercial.
Mercedes Benz commercial in HD.
Mazda commercial in HD.

Pontiac, IBM, it never ends

Not that I've really been paying attention, but so far the most HD commercials I've seen.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

WWJ-DT via Comcast here in Detroit...same issues as before...pixeling and blurring.

UCLA has scored 31 points by the 13:00 mark of the 2nd half??

Whoa!
post #14 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

soft picture on Directv and OTA

Mike
post #15 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 PM

Go Gators!!!
post #16 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Go Gators!
Urban Meyer better ramp up.
This puts so much more preasure on him.

Mike
post #17 of 29 Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

What a boring final 4. At least the PQ was great.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice job on the picture, but too bad they couldn't do anything about the competitiveness of the game. I don't think I've ever seen that many dunks by a team that only shot 44%. It was amazing!

I sure was hoping they'd do "One Shining Moment" in HD, however. :(
post #19 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I thoughtit was soft on D* and a little better on OTA here in Boston. I have to say I am very disappointed with what CBS put out for this tournament
post #20 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yet again we had very noticable at times full screen pixelization issues on WTKR in Norfolk, VA. I don't get it. I think they are still running at 16.5Mbps with the rest going to radar. Seems to me that should be enough bandwidth to avoid this more.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 05:45 AM

Vyvx Delivers NCAA Basketball Championship Tournament in High Definition
Tuesday April 4, 7:00 am ET
Vyvx Continues Expansion of HD Capabilities by Providing 80 Feeds From National Championship - the Most HD Feeds From Any NCAA Tournament to Date

BROOMFIELD, Colo., April 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Vyvx, a market leader in providing fiber-optic and satellite transmission solutions to the media and entertainment industry for 15 years, transmitted over 80 high definition (HD) feeds during the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament, including the feeds from all four regional finals and the Final Four® tournament from Indianapolis, IN. The growing demand for HD transmissions in sports broadcasting resulted in Vyvx tripling the number of feeds it transported compared to any previous NCAA Basketball Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
Vyvx delivered the live broadcast feeds of both the national semi-final games as well as the national championship game, on April 3, over its fiber-optic network from the RCA Dome in Indianapolis to CBS's production facilities for delivery to millions of end viewers. Vyvx's award winning network and HD VenueNet® solution enables the seamless transmission of video feeds with the highest reliability and customer support levels in the industry.

Vyvx also provided advertisers with delivery of HD commercials to the CBS network for airing during the tournament. This solution enabled CBS to transmit the live broadcast of the event, while also receiving the commercials electronically for air during the telecast.

"We're proud to be working with CBS again to transmit the NCAA Basketball Tournament, as it exemplifies our ability to provide the reach and reliability that today's broadcasters expect, especially concerning high definition feeds," said Derek Smith, senior vice president and general manager of Vyvx. "We expect that as end users continue to adopt HD technology, more and more sports leagues and teams as well as news organizations and broadcasters will turn to Vyvx to carry widely viewed live events, like the basketball tournament."

Vyvx's history and experience providing transmission services for live sports broadcasts is unmatched. It was the first company to backhaul a video feed over fiber in 1989, and to transmit a live broadcast event over a fiber-optic network in 1990. Vyvx currently provides broadcast transmission services for nearly 10,000 live sports events per year. Overall, Vyvx provides nearly 200,000 video feeds for its customers annually, transmitting more than 12 million video minutes. For more information, please visit www.vyvx.com.

About Vyvx, LLC

Vyvx provides video delivery solutions over fiber optics and satellite to global advertising, sports, news, and entertainment customers. Vyvx offers a wide range of dedicated and occasional services and its electronic footprint reaches more than 13,000 online television and radio stations, networks and cable head-ends, as well as more than 100 professional sports venues and all major media centers, movie studios and production facilities. Vyvx is a subsidiary of Level 3 Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: LVLT - News).

The Vyvx logo and Vyvx HD logo are trademarks of WilTel Communications Group, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Level 3 Communications, LLC.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone else lose sound towards the end of "One Shining Moment"?

I always love that piece and was really disappointed that the sound went out.

I'm on Cablevision in NY.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

As mentioned, the main cameras looked soft to me. Really soft. Very different from the usual CBS sports presentation - including the semi-final games on Saturday. (OTA - WTVF)

-Reagan

The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 12:23 PM

I thought the game looked like total and complete crap.

Signed,

A UCLA alumnus
post #25 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airblair
I thought the game looked like total and complete crap.

Signed,

A UCLA alumnus
The game looked outstanding! The Bruins did look like total and complete crap though :D.

Actually UCLA did not look that bad really. The Gators just looked very, very good in this game. I was rooting for UCLA but I really have to hand it to Florida. They put on an amazing display of team ball, with patience and great passing on offense, and outstanding defense both inside and out. They just put together a great game and the level they were playing at I don't think anybody would have beaten them last night. No competitive tension to speak of, but a good display BB execution by the Gators. They just pretty much shredded them up at both ends of the court....

ron
post #26 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Florida valued the ball, and Taurean Green was probably their most valuable player. Zero turnovers in the crucial opening 10 minutes, and only 6 all game, against the phenomenally successful defense of UCLA. Congratulations to all involved.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan
As mentioned, the main cameras looked soft to me. Really soft.
-Reagan
I concur; at least as far as OTA here in Central Fl. But to be honest, I've only seen a couple of college games this season on CBS where the PQ was outstanding. I believe one of them was Georgetown -vs-Duke(?) and another was a Uconn game against someone.

Too bad there is no consistency in PQ.

"The dfference between men & boys is the cost of their high-tech toys!" :)
post #28 of 29 Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[excluding end user display issues and other obvious exceptions] it generally appears to be a problem with local harris flexicoder equipment. those first gen boxes were designed to show off 19.3mbits and any sort of multicasting, even 1.5mbps just kills the PQ. the box does do marginal with the stat mux option on 720p (which very few pony up for.)

i pray every night to thee HD gods that CBS can escape the Harris smootz'ing and get real equipment when the locals upgrade. our local PBS got the new Harris NetVX solution and it is worse than the orig flexicoder, if that could be possible. there having all kinds of trouble just broadcasting an actual picture ;(

i understand the politics of big business and all, but i'm still aghast that Harris can sell this stuff. for example, the flash/strobe causing a blur is totally a harris issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Yet again we had very noticable at times full screen pixelization issues on WTKR in Norfolk, VA. I don't get it. I think they are still running at 16.5Mbps with the rest going to radar. Seems to me that should be enough bandwidth to avoid this more.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-07-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor
Anyone else lose sound towards the end of "One Shining Moment"?

I always love that piece and was really disappointed that the sound went out.

I'm on Cablevision in NY.

Thank you for confirming. I had the same exact problem with OTA NYC CBS. Likewise, I also wait all year for that piece and was extremely disappointed.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page