My Network TV will be "All HD" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remember the discussion a while ago about which broadcast network will be all-HD first? Well, it looks like MNTV has them all beat:

from http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.asp...60515tribune01 :
"The first all high-definition broacast network, My Network TV affiliates include..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
The only problem is the programming: all telenovas all the time.
post #3 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not in Little Rock. I was so glad when I heard that our weak, non-HD, imcompotently run WB affilate was going to be the home of MyNetworkTV's recycled Mexican soap operas and our well funded, well run, full power UPN affilate was going to get the CW.

Sorry about the rant, I don't mean to derail the thread this early, it's actually pretty good news for the network.

Rocky
post #4 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Nice Find!!! ATL is in da house!

1080p and PS3 is a Match made in HD Heaven!
post #5 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

MyNetworkTV is being produced by Twentieth Television, a unit of Fox Television. The heart of the programming for MyNetworkTV will be two telenovela-style dramas: "Desire" and "Secret Obsessions."

Both series will feature a 65-episode story arc of hour-long episodes airing Monday through Friday over 13 weeks.

Every Saturday, a recap episode highlighting the two programs' previous week's story lines will be broadcast.

"Desire" will air at 8 p.m., and "Secret Obsessions" at 9 p.m.

http://www.fresnobee.com/columnists/...12755278c.html
post #6 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Great, KCOP in LA had a hard time getting UPN in HD; to this day still doesn't broadcast UPN in HD. I hope they get it right this time and run MNTV in HD, especially with KCOP being a MyNetworkTV O&O station (yes, KCOP for once will be an owned and operated station with MNTV).
post #7 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't mean a lot for those of us who will get The CW or MyNetworkTV as a sub channel. In fact, it means the bandwidth for the primary channel that IS HD will be cut....
post #8 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hopefully there will be some nice eye-candy on these shows like on Univision. (Plus I will be able to understand the dialog.)

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #9 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 10:15 PM

My local UPN network is turning into a FOX affiliate and they claim it will be in HD although right now UPN is a subchannel of the local CBS affiliate and not in HD.

The decision to go to FOX was because neither CW or MNTV were going to allow local programming (?).
post #10 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So "My Network TV" is going to be nothing but two prime time soap operas all week? Doesnt sound like my kind of network TV at all. Who is the person "My" refers to?
post #11 of 68 Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Since there is some confusion on stations heres a link to affiliates in the top markets, their current station affiliate and their new MNTV affiliate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._TV_affiliates
post #12 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bet $100 Imaginary AVS bucks that the "My Network" will carry that Star Wars TV series when its available.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #13 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I doubt KJZZ will carry it in HD.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #14 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDContra View Post

So "My Network TV" is going to be nothing but two prime time soap operas all week? Doesnt sound like my kind of network TV at all. Who is the person "My" refers to?

No different then what WB does today for the most part. Only programming from 7p-9p CST. Or FOX for that matter, except I'm not sure that MNTV has something planned for Sunday's (where FOX actually has 3 hours of programming). Of course, it doesn't compare to the National Sports programming that FOX has... but just an example.
post #15 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

I bet $100 Imaginary AVS bucks that the "My Network" will carry that Star Wars TV series when its available.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say FOX gets it.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #16 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking along the lines that since FOX owns My Network, that they'll put the SW TV show on there to boost credibility of the network. Just like FOX did with their NFL coverage.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #17 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No dishbacker, this is a lot different than what WB and Fox do right now. Those networks program new program each night, MyNetwork TV will strip 5 episodes each of the same two programs Monday thru Friday with a recap ep on Saturday. In other words, prime time soap operas. They will then start over with new shows every 13 weeks, for 65 episodes per program. Not only that, but the scripts for these programs will just be translated from Mexican soap operas, so they're not even really original programs.
Now, I'm not one to judge a program before it airs, but this seriously sounds like a sad way to start a new network. Maybe in a few years they will improve, but as I said earlier, I don't really care that it won't be in HD in my market, because there is nothing there I'm gonna wanna watch anyway.

Rocky
post #18 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I wonder if it will be 1080i or 720p.
post #19 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Since it is a NewsCorp production, why would you think it would be anything but 720p?
post #20 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

More specific info:

Upfront Notebook
MyNetworkTV to Offer Desire, Secret Obsessions Six Nights

By Marc Berman MediaWeek.com MAY 16, 2006 -

MyNetworkTV, a new venture from Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Twentieth Television, gave advertisers a sneak peak of its upcoming Desire and Secret Obsessions programming franchises.

Slated to launch on Sept. 5 with U.S. coverage at a promised 90+ percent, the initiative of the new network is a six-night, 8-10 p.m. programming block populated with two original stripped scripted telenovelas (which were originally slated for first-run syndication), structured in a 13-week, 65-episode story arc. Highlights of each franchise will be offered every Saturday.

In addition to building its station lineup (which is currently cleared at 82 percent of the country), the specific goals of MyNetworkTV are quality-stripped programming, addictive stories, daily Web content, and 52 weeks of original programming. The Desire franchise will open the evening at 8 p.m., followed by Secret Obsessions at 9 p.m., and the four confirmed series in each umbrella title are as follows:

DESIRE

TABLE FOR THREE (4th Quarter 2006)
Two brothers (Nate Haden and Zack Silva) on the run from the mob head from New Jersey to Los Angeles, where they both fall passionately in love with the same woman (Michelle Belegrin). When one brother is believed to be murdered by the mob, only to resurface later, the other brother seeks comfort with the woman they both competed for.

ART OF BETRAYAL (1st Quarter 2007)
After the ex-wife (Sean Young) of a successful and heartless businessman attempts to destroy her former lover's career, she sets up a scheme to have her two sons seduce his daughters, marry them, and take their money.

RULE OF DECEPTION (2nd Quarter 2007)
Two best friends (Annalynne McCord and Rachelle Woods) who hail from entirely different worlds find their relationship shattered after they meet a handsome and dashing engineer (Dylan Bruce) who seduces both womenone for love, and one for money.

FRIENDS & ENEMIES (3rd Quarter 2007)
A woman who pretends to be a psychiatrist falls in love with her patient and begins a hot and heavy affair with him, until his family reveals the other life she lives.

SECRET OBSESSIONS

FASHION HOUSE (4th Quarter 2006)
Set in the competitive fashion world, former 10 Bo Derek plays a powerful fashion icon who will stop at nothing to destroy the woman (Natalie Martinez) who tries to romance her son (Taylor Kinney).

WATCH OVER ME (1st Quarter 2007)
Julia (Dayannara Torres) and her fiancé Sebastian were meant to have a perfect marriage, but the dangerous world they inhabit makes it necessary for a third party to enter their relationship--Jack, a bodyguard hired to protect them. Unfortunately, Jack's arrival is the catalyst for an intense love triangle that may destroy them all.

A DANGEROUS LOVE (2nd Quarter 2007)
Two very different families - the Olivera and the Mazzoni clans - struggle with a bitter feud that has plagued them for years. Maria Conchita Alonso stars.

TO LOVE & DIE (3rd Quarter 2007)
After a plane crash, an heiress falls in love with the pilot against the wishes of her family.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1002503467
post #21 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Since it is a NewsCorp production, why would you think it would be anything but 720p?

But the bulk of the My Network broadcast stations are soon-to-be former UPN or WB stations who are set up for 1080i broadcasts - or at least those that are currently HD stations. How much work will it be to switch to receiving a 720p feed from the new network and broadcasting it locally at 720p if the station gear was brought for 1080i operation? Maybe someone in the business can tell us if there is some mad scrambling going in to prepare to convert local broadcast operations to 720p or maybe the local stations will be able to select from a 1080i or 720p feed or My network will be 1080i.
post #22 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

More specific info:

Upfront Notebook
MyNetworkTV to Offer Desire, Secret Obsessions Six Nights

By Marc Berman MediaWeek.com MAY 16, 2006 -

the specific goals of MyNetworkTV are quality-stripped programming

oh yeah? i'd prefer they didn't strip the quality from the programming. or perhaps they could go for quality-stripper programming instead?
post #23 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

How much work will it be to switch to receiving a 720p feed from the new network and broadcasting it locally at 720p if the station gear was brought for 1080i operation?

In most cases, very little.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #24 of 68 Old 05-16-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

But the bulk of the My Network broadcast stations are soon-to-be former UPN or WB stations who are set up for 1080i broadcasts - or at least those that are currently HD stations. How much work will it be to switch to receiving a 720p feed from the new network and broadcasting it locally at 720p if the station gear was brought for 1080i operation? Maybe someone in the business can tell us if there is some mad scrambling going in to prepare to convert local broadcast operations to 720p or maybe the local stations will be able to select from a 1080i or 720p feed or My network will be 1080i.

KenH is correct. Most HD gear goes both ways with either a click of a mouse or a setup menu change.
post #25 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

So....

It seems they are going for 18-49 year old women, mostly...
post #26 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

KenH is correct. Most HD gear goes both ways with either a click of a mouse or a setup menu change.

Yep, just change the SD-upconverter to 720p and the HD-encoder to 720p, that's about it.

I'm sure there are some 1st-generation upconverters and encoders that are only suited for one or the other, but those are probably few and far between.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #27 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Anyone think it's kinda stupid to put 5-times-a-week shows on PRIMETIME? There's no way someone without a DVR can devote themselves everyday to the shows. Most definately, there will be conflicts with other shows from other networks?
post #28 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post

So....

It seems they are going for 18-49 year old women, mostly...

Sounds like a winning demographic for the promotion of HD among the female group. Yeah!
post #29 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Not only that, but the scripts for these programs will just be translated from Mexican soap operas, so they're not even really original programs.

Finally... Mexican soap operas in HD! At last they're giving us HDTV viewers what we've been begging for!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #30 of 68 Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post

There's no way someone without a DVR can devote themselves everyday to the shows. Most definately, there will be conflicts with other shows from other networks?

The Latino's seem to have no problem with it. That is why they are bringing them to English now. Remember, both ABC and CBS have telenovelas ready to go this fall as well.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Reply HDTV Programming