Closed Thread

post #271 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond
Let's see...multiple late night programs on NBC ("The Tonight Show" and whatever comes after it) and CBS ("David Letterman") on weekdays, "Saturday Night Live" and " Mad TV" in latenight weekends, large amounts of weekend daytime sports programming...all available in HD now, and outside of prime time!
MAD TV isn't available in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by posg
Seinfeld syndication has been available in HD for at least a couple of months now. I know of no broadcast station carrying it. Does WGHP, or plan to???
We can't even consider it until we complete our master control rebuild. (something many stations are into at various levels) Syndicators are seriously looking into providing HD versions of syndicated programs. I have personally filled out several surveys from syndicators asking our status.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #273 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
My interpretation: an antenna means that you're smart enough not to pay for what is available free of charge.
Unfortuanately for me, the stuff I prefer to watch is not available for free, being the three major news channels, Discovery, History, National Geographic, and the like. I'm not trying to be a snob, that's actually what I prefer to watch.

You can have Wheel of Fortune and American Idol and all the rest of the brain dead programming that fills 90% of the broadcast schedule.

I'm in the majority that is willing to pay for what he wants rather than settle for what he is given.

P.S. I have satellite radio too, because free radio is basically programmed for soceer moms, angry right wing extremists, and 16 year olds.
post #274 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
We can't even consider it until we complete our master control rebuild. (something many stations are into at various levels) Syndicators are seriously looking into providing HD versions of syndicated programs. I have personally filled out several surveys from syndicators asking our status.
Aren't some syndicated programs such as "Regis & Kathy Lee" passed through "live" on many of the stations carrying it. Seems that since most stations (east & west coast) carry Wheel & Jeopardy at 7 & 7:30, a HD "passthrough" feed option would be in order.
post #275 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Aren't some syndicated programs such as "Regis & Kathy Lee" passed through "live" on many of the stations carrying it. Seems that since most stations (east & west coast) carry Wheel & Jeopardy at 7 & 7:30, a HD "passthrough" feed option would be in order.
I believe "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" are feed earlier in the day to the stations. They aren't feed "as live". Regis is live, but it depends on whether the particular sat tuner being used to bring in the feed to the station is HD-capable or not. Many stations that can air network programming in HD don't have HD tuners for recording/retransmitting the syndicated stuff.
post #276 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV
I believe "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" are feed earlier in the day to the stations. They aren't feed "as live". Regis is live, but it depends on whether the particular sat tuner being used to bring in the feed to the station is HD-capable or not. Many stations that can air network programming in HD don't have HD tuners for recording/retransmitting the syndicated stuff.
Seems like HD feeds of syndicated programming, at least the marquee stuff, could be accomplished "quick and dirty" by the implementation of "live" HD feeds. Pre-rolls in SD could of course still be made available. Just a thought.
post #277 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Seems like HD feeds of syndicated programming, at least the marquee stuff, could be accomplished "quick and dirty" by the implementation of "live" HD feeds. Pre-rolls in SD could of course still be made available. Just a thought.
That's fine in theory, but there are a vast number of syndicated programming choices for that 7PM-8PM timeslot that have contracts that require them to be aired during that time period. Your affiliates only air a very small portion of those choices. That's a lot of satellite bandwidth for that period of time. Just the stuff coming from Buena Vista and Sony would keep AT&T very busy.
post #278 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's fine in theory, but there are a vast number of syndicated programming choices for that 7PM-8PM timeslot that have contracts that require them to be aired during that time period. Your affiliates only air a very small portion of those choices. That's a lot of satellite bandwidth for that period of time. Just the stuff coming from Buena Vista and Sony would keep AT&T very busy.
Nearly every, if not every east and west market does Wheel and Jeopardy between 7-8. That's a major opportunity.
post #279 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95
MAD TV isn't available in HD.
That's odd, because I am pretty sure it is on in HD through the network, and shows that way locally. Unfortunately, checking the Fox TV website didn't help, because they don't seem to be real informative about which programs are in HD on their network.
post #280 of 287 Old 06-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Wheel and Jeopardy are syndicated via Pathfire. I haven't heard if they are going to use Pathfire for the HD versions.
post #281 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
That's odd, because I am pretty sure it is on in HD through the network, and shows that way locally. Unfortunately, checking the Fox TV website didn't help, because they don't seem to be real informative about which programs are in HD on their network.
Nope, Saturday night has always been no hd night for fox....followed closely by 1 hour of 3 in HD Sunday. With Malcolm gone, that number is on the fast track to compete with Saturday in terms of HD.
post #282 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 05:19 AM

Liked: 12
Sunday night is usually HBO night... plenty of HD original programming there. :) Saturday night w/Cops in HD :eek: means once I've "gotten my jollies" watching all those low-life’s "get-busted!" :D I watch DVDs on my deluxe OPPO up converting DVD player. ;)
post #283 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Nearly every, if not every east and west market does Wheel and Jeopardy between 7-8. That's a major opportunity.
Syndicated programs are fed around the clock due to limited feed time slots and days before they air. They also feed them twice, once is the main feed and then some time later a second feed is sent as a backup feed in case a station missed the first feed due to some reason beyond their control. The syndicated show you see today was more than likely fed three days ago and has been sitting at the station waiting for its turn to air. Topical programs such as ET, Extra, The Insider, etc are fed between 3 and 5 pm the day they run. Sat time is a finate resource. And not every station runs Wheel and Jeopardy in the 7-8pm window. Particularly if they are doing a double run, something that was unheard of just a few years ago, but now is a common practice and that second run show is a different one. Usually it has run or will run about 2 weeks from the other show run that day.

There is more than meets the eye going on here.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #284 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
Syndicated programs are fed around the clock due to limited feed time slots and days before they air. They also feed them twice, once is the main feed and then some time later a second feed is sent as a backup feed in case a station missed the first feed due to some reason beyond their control. The syndicated show you see today was more than likely fed three days ago and has been sitting at the station waiting for its turn to air. Topical programs such as ET, Extra, The Insider, etc are fed between 3 and 5 pm the day they run. Sat time is a finate resource. And not every station runs Wheel and Jeopardy in the 7-8pm window. Particularly if they are doing a double run, something that was unheard of just a few years ago, but now is a common practice and that second run show is a different one. Usually it has run or will run about 2 weeks from the other show run that day.

There is more than meets the eye going on here.
Having struggled with C-band professionally (and at home) for many years, I certainly know of what you speak.

But there are some shows like Regis & Kathy Lee that are fed live, and my point was programs with such marquee value as Wheel & Jeopary and as consistently scheduled in the same time slot could have a live HD feed that would service a big chunk of the syndicatees with a relatively simple pass through.
post #285 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Sunday night is usually HBO night... plenty of HD original programming there. :) Saturday night w/Cops in HD :eek: means once I've "gotten my jollies" watching all those low-life’s "get-busted!" :D I watch DVDs on my deluxe OPPO up converting DVD player. ;)
"Cops" is not in HD is it? I thought it was 480p WS, like Fox Saturday baseball.
post #286 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Correct. (also like "Fox News Sunday")

Although 480i not "p"

Thanks, spwace
V V V V V
post #287 of 287 Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
"Cops" is not in HD is it? I thought it was 480p WS, like Fox Saturday baseball.
It is 480i widescreen upconverted to 720p. 480p widescreen went away when FOX went to HD.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page