Deadwood - Season 3 - on HBO in HDTV - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Around the same time we lost this, Carnivale, and Rome too earlier. At least Rome has a rushed ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I really liked "Luck" and thought it had a lot of potential .. the Racehorse fiasco made me wonder at the time why HBO did not just film the racing parts from actual races .. it seemed, at the time, that there was some sort of animal rights activism going on regarding the horses that did have to be put down .. ??

The loss of three horses in the span of a few months on one TV show was bound to get PETA's panties puckered up. What ultimately happened was that the much larger story of thoroughbred abuse in the racing industry was brought out into the open. There's a frightening level of carnage with regards to these magnificent animals. The trainers and track operators drug them and then push them past their limits. Literally hundreds, if not thousands break down and are put down every year.

You can dig up the 'Luck' thread to read about it as it was the #1 topic of discussion after the show's demise. It's quite appalling. HBO cheapened out and didn't take the precautions they should have, and Milch & Dustin Hoffman (who had finally been persuaded to do a TV show by Milch's involvement) paid the price. As well as those of us who loved that series. frown.gif
post #663 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

I really liked "Luck" and thought it had a lot of potential .. the Racehorse fiasco made me wonder at the time why HBO did not just film the racing parts from actual races .. it seemed, at the time, that there was some sort of animal rights activism going on regarding the horses that did have to be put down .. ??

Compared to the world of horse racing in general, far more horses are killed "per capita" than were injured in or around the series filming in the same period of time. ALL of the horses used in the series were rescued from tracks and stables that had no use for them, and cancelling the series actually put those horses at far more risk since they were left homeless. Most of them were adopted by cast and crew. or put into shelters at the expense of the show. A horse dies most every day in a race or at a track, its part of the life. Point being that the horses "employed" by the series were much safer than the alternatives. PETA just couldn't leave it alone and miss the headlines.
post #664 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't post often, mostly lurking, but when I saw this thread and all the recent activity it briefly got my hopes up that there might be a ten year anniversary miniseries or even the movie that HBO rumored to be in the making to mollify Deadwood fans when they canceled the series. I think this was the best series I've ever seen on TV. I've told many people over the years that the best thing they could watch on TV tonight would be the DVDs or BDs from the library or Netflix. I can't believe it was 10 years ago that I started watching it. I've watched every episode at least twice more since.

I just wanted to chime in that there is another fan who misses all the great characters and dialog.

SMK
post #665 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Around the same time we lost this, Carnivale, and Rome too earlier. At least Rome has a rushed ending.

Rome from what i recall had a rushed 2nd season ending because HBO got nervous nelly about the cost of the show and decided to pull the plug cause of it.

AMC might have taken over the mantle for HBO on modern networks and being cheap.
post #666 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Rome from what i recall had a rushed 2nd season ending because HBO got nervous nelly about the cost of the show and decided to pull the plug cause of it.

AMC might have taken over the mantle for HBO on modern networks and being cheap.
BBC pulled out. HBO would have maintained the partnership. The production costs for S1 was $100M. Most of it to build ancient Rome. Those cost amortized over several seasons would have made the series profitable, but BBC couldn't bleed any further after S1. Still one of the best of all time.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #667 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Ron Temple. I remember reading that as well. I slightly understand the Rome thing. Carnivale too as it was such a slow burn, but my favorite HBO show besides GOT. Deadwood was just crazy though. It was so popular (with those I knew at least) and exciting.
post #668 of 678 Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

Ron Temple. I remember reading that as well. I slightly understand the Rome thing. Carnivale too as it was such a slow burn, but my favorite HBO show besides GOT. Deadwood was just crazy though. It was so popular (with those I knew at least) and exciting.

I agree that weird, wonderful 'Carnivale' was tremendously underrated. Too bad we only got the first of a planned 3 part trilogy. Would have loved to have seen where the marvelous mind of Ron Moore would have taken us with that show. Of course, the next place he took us was the 12 Colonies of Kobol. And what a ride that was!

Looking forward to his return to showrunning duties with 'Outland', on Starz this summer.
post #669 of 678 Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Tried watching Carnivale. Got several episodes in and gave up out of complete disinterest. If it went even further off the rails like BSG, I'm glad I bailed. Loved Deadwood.
post #670 of 678 Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
philw1776 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #671 of 678 Old 04-09-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

but my favorite HBO show besides GOT. Deadwood was just crazy though. It was so popular (with those I knew at least) and exciting.

As I posted here earlier, Deadwood has long been my all time favorite TV series but Game of Thrones has now joined it. What wonderful television it is turning out to be! This really is the New Golden Age of Television.
post #672 of 678 Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Deadwood - still my favorite TV show of all time. Although, Breaking Bad has settled comfortably in the #2 spot.
post #673 of 678 Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

When I posted yesterday, I had no idea that folks would actually jump in to a thread that's what .. ?? Seven years dormant .. ??

At any rate, as a testament to my nerdness, one of the fascinating things I've been reminded of during my binge watch :

Fourteen members of the Deadwood cast have also starred in Sons of Anarchy. Ten Deadwood actors have appeared on Justified. Ian McShane also had a role in American Horror Story. If there ever was a chance the series could be revived, FX looks to be the place .. although it would probably be necessary to tone down the language .. ??

I'm not going to post the video itself, however, this link should take you to a very nice Gag Reel ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Cnh83v6DM&feature=player_embedded

Adding to my count of actors post Deadwood .. Anna Gunn, Walt's wife Skyler from Breaking Bad .. she really looked much, much thinner in Deadwood .. Sarah Paulson from American Horror Story Coven Cordelia Foxx

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #674 of 678 Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Adding to my count of actors post Deadwood .. Anna Gunn, Walt's wife Skyler from Breaking Bad .. she really looked much, much thinner in Deadwood .. Sarah Paulson from American Horror Story Coven Cordelia Foxx

Zach Grenier, who played Andy Cramed on Deadwood is a regular on The Good Wife.
post #675 of 678 Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Deadwood is airing on one of the HBO's, they had a marathon on HBOZ last month...
post #676 of 678 Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Deadwood is airing on one of the HBO's, they had a marathon on HBOZ last month...

I had loaned my Deadwood BDs to my daughter but she returned them last week. Am really looking forward to seeing this great series again for the God knows which time. smile.gif
post #677 of 678 Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
All of the episodes are available on HBO-Go... Seasons 1-3!

Bobby 

post #678 of 678 Old 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

BBC pulled out. HBO would have maintained the partnership. The production costs for S1 was $100M. Most of it to build ancient Rome. Those cost amortized over several seasons would have made the series profitable, but BBC couldn't bleed any further after S1. Still one of the best of all time.

Thanks for setting it straight. I knew there was a cost issue that killed it.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page