The Magic 8 Ball speaks out on FOX HDTV - More Bits Are HERE! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 292 Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is probably not the correct thread to ask this question but since there seems to be very knowledgeable people here, I'll ask the question.

In the UK, HD only recently started up on Sky HD (SAT) and Telewest HD (cable). Sky HD is MPEG4 and Telewest HD is MPEG2. I know that their distribution system is different than the US but some of the things I have been seeing on the UK forums do not sound quite right. The biggest difference they claim is that the country is covered with high speed optical for distribution of HD at a very high rate. Also, it has been stated that each of the companies get all prerecorded content on high bit rate tape. As far as live broadcasts for both companies (World Cup and Wimbledom only so far) are concerned, they claim that they have seperate high rate MPEG2 and MPEG4 delivery.

Although there is currently very limited content and not a lot that is the same between the 2 different companies (Sky has BBC HD, many of the Fox HD programs, Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, Artsworld, and movies during the evenings that are a month or two behind HBO and Telewest has BBC HD, ITV with very limited content, some History Channel content, Pay Per View HD movies, and some Pay Per View series from ABC).

With this type of distribution system, you would think the quality would be very high especially since Sky has only 3 HD channels per 46 mb/s transponder (MPEG4) but there appears to be quite a few complaints from Sky customers about PQ especially for US shows and movies and that sparkles appear on crowds during live cricket matches.

Does it seem probable that this type of extensive distribution would be used when there is currently probably less then 30,000 HD customers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 292 Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone had a chance to see if there are real world improvements in the video quality for all types of programming on FOX-HD?

I read one comment about a baseball game stating not much has changed. I'd love to hear more input on this.

Thanks!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #93 of 292 Old 07-16-2006, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman
Has anyone had a chance to see if there are real world improvements in the video quality for all types of programming on FOX-HD?
I watch FOX HD every night -- well, five nights a week anyway ... I get paid to watch it -- I consider myself to be pretty damned particular when it comes to video. I haven't seen even a teeny, tiny difference between "before" and "after." It looks exactly the same. If there is a difference, it's so small as to be insignificant.

People here have said it looks better, but the power of suggestion is a force to be reckoned with ...
post #94 of 292 Old 07-16-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor
People here have said it looks better, but the power of suggestion is a force to be reckoned with ...
Aint that the truth....literally proven everyday.

And people wonder why I am so cynical and not a lemming.
post #95 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mterzich
I think the only networks that currently have cameras, HD mobile studio, and equipment available to cover golf is NBC and CBS (both 1080i). ESPN HD has been covering some of these tournaments during the weekdays using NBCs cameras and equipment so I expect that the cameras were set at 1080i (720p is usually an additional cost option with all cameras and it would be doubtful that NBC purchased that option).
For the recent joint ESPN-HD/NBC-HD coverage of recent golf matches on weekdays and weekends, another option is using new multiformat cameras such as the Sony series that can operate at 1080/60p, creating a 720p signal internally through downconversion. Typically, AIUI, camera/truck services are rented by the networks from those specializing in the service, as others above pointed out to you.
Quote:
With that said, I didn't see any difference between NBC and ESPN. The only obvious degradition for either channel was when they were using the Wide Screen SD cameras. From what I could see, they were using 36 HD fixed cameras (one behind each tee and one behind each green) and all the shots from the side and in the fairways were shot with wireless SD cameras.
Do notice a difference between NBC's true-1080i delivery and ESPN-HD's 720p here when the same cameras are being used by both. And 1080i resolution, at other times, is usually crisper than 720p. For the recent major golf matches, as I mentioned in related threads, the 1080i shots had more fine details on blimp shots, distant crowds, or shots of grass or similar detail. But the 720p was close in PQ, and it may be because of the 1080 oversampling and downconversion to 720p, which would boost 720p's typical limiting resolution , (~1035X504 by one estimate), much closer to the 1280X720 format resolution. Another factor might be that my cable STB, and apparently those of others, is limited in output resolution to <1300 lines/16X9 PW, leveling potential effective resolution differences (resolvable detail) between the two formats--even through 1080i/p has twice the spatial resolution of 720p.

Quote:
ABC does not cover golf in HD. If the baseball game is covered by FOX or FSN, I have found that it is usually HD but if covered by the local station, it is SD. Sometimes because of contractual obligations, it is covered by the network for distribution throughout the country but by the local station for the local market. This occurred recently in the SF Bay area that the local FOX station was carrying the SF-OAK game in SD but INHD2 (FSN) was carring the OAK-SF game in HD.

I've never had any problems determining which programs are shot in SD and which are shot in HD. Do you keep the the HD channels stretched?
Sure about ABC not delivering any golf in HD? Might be some misinterpretation here of something I mentioned earlier. Have no trouble here distinguishing between SD, upconverted SD, and true-HD, having been doing it for 6+ years now. Just haven't been following Fox programming too closely, and briefly sampled the game I mentioned to see if this new bit rate enhancement helped PQ. Still hard to fathom why they would upconvert composite 480i to 720p, if that's what was/is happening! No, don't stretch or zoom HD channels. -- John
post #96 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
I watch FOX HD every night -- well, five nights a week anyway ... I get paid to watch it -- I consider myself to be pretty damned particular when it comes to video. I haven't seen even a teeny, tiny difference between "before" and "after." It looks exactly the same. If there is a difference, it's so small as to be insignificant.

I wonder if someone could explain how or where this additional bandwidth would show itself. I've watched FOX since before they went HD and don't see any difference. I'm using a 50" DLP set...
post #97 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99
I wonder if someone could explain how or where this additional bandwidth would show itself. I've watched FOX since before they went HD and don't see any difference. I'm using a 50" DLP set...
The added bandwidth increases the capacity of the satellite transponders FOX uses to deliver the program streams to the affiliates. It doesn't give each stream more bandwidth, but it allows them to place more streams on a given transponder. They had been using an additional transponder to handle the NFL games, prior to this year, so the bottom line is that it saves them money.
post #98 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I would assume the extra bandwidth would give the stat muxer extra headroom to reduce the chance of less than optimal bitrates on the individual streams, especially on material with high levels of motion. The upper limit on each HD stream is still 16Mb/s. On most material, especially 24fps episodics, I wouldn't expect to see a change. Reading about swimming grass on the all star game isn't encouraging.

Adding more streams obviously offsets PQ gains. Ironically it seems that the programs that would benefit the most, such as NFL games, would probably have extra streams added to increase the number of games carried and for regionalizing commercials.
post #99 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I would assume that the higher overall bitrate would give the stat muxer extra headroom to reduce the chance of less than optimal bitrates on the individual streams, especially on material with high levels of motion. The upper limit on each HD stream is still 16Mb/s. On most material, especially 24fps episodics, I wouldn't expect to see a change. Reading about swimming grass on the MLB all star game isn't encouraging.

Adding more streams obviously offsets PQ gains. Ironically it seems the times where programs that would benefit the most from higher bitates on individual streams, such as NFL games, would probably have extra streams added to increase the number of games carried and for regionalizing commercials.

I recorded an episode of House earlier this year, and was surprised to see the file for the entire hour was less than 4GB. I checked the bitrate, and it was around 8Mb/s.

16Mb/s should look good on 720P. The local ABC station here usually averages about 11Mb/s.
post #100 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Found this thread on a search of "statistical multiplex". My local NBC station has switched to SM to add a 2nd channel for weather. Now, my MIT (MyHD 100 tuner PC card) will not decode the main stream without lock-up and freezes, but the sub channel is OK. Anyone here have any experience on this or can direct me to a more appropriate thread? Thanks.
post #101 of 292 Old 07-17-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecqboy
Found this thread on a search of "statistical multiplex". My local NBC station has switched to SM to add a 2nd channel for weather. Now, my MIT (MyHD 100 tuner PC card) will not decode the main stream without lock-up and freezes, but the sub channel is OK. Anyone here have any experience on this or can direct me to a more appropriate thread? Thanks.
Sounds like a PSIP issue with your local NBC station.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #102 of 292 Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecqboy
You might have better luck in the HD Reception Hardware forum, along with the HT computer forum. -- John
post #103 of 292 Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm waiting for the NFL regular season to start, to compare a live Fox NFL broadcast and live CBS NFL broadcast side by side. It was so obvious last season that Fox's HD was inferior to CBS. I shall reserve judgement until that first Sunday. JUDGEMENT DAY. :D
post #104 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mterzich
Other networks tansmit HD at a higher rate to the local stations (usually 34.5 MHz or higher) so that they can decode and encode the signal without a significant drop in quality (2:1 decoding and encoding is the general rule of thumb to not loose significant quality).
BTW, it is Mbps, not MHz.

If only that were the case. I do not know the bitrate that NBC uses, but I do know what ABC/CBS/UPN/WB uses. For ABC, the average bitrate is about 40Mbps. Yep, that one is great. CBS/UPN averages about 35 Mbps, also great. The WB? Well, for example, tonight's Smallville (program content only, no commercials or promos), 9.76 Mbps. Some programs can be a little higher. It'll be a lucky day when I see 12 Mbps from them. That'll only last thru 9/17/06, as that is the last day they are sending out programming. The CW network feed will be handled by CBS/Viacom in New York.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #105 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
ABC had a separate East Coast and West Coast HD Feed. In fact anyone with a little know how could pull those in off C Band.
Technically, they still do have separate east and west HD feeds :)

I know, you actually meant two separate sat transponders. CBS uses two separate HD transponders. They have to because of Letterman being in HD.

Quote:
This, if you think about it, was why GMA was not HD in Central and Mountain Zone.

What they are doing is what Fox has done - put up EVERYTHING into 1 Digital stream and the affiliate chooses what they want out of it. By use of statmuxing, you can effectively put in more streams, where if you have a set feed, you get that and the bandwidth is not able to be shared.
I think you are trying to say that ABC has moved the HD feed to their new 8PSK digital transponders. The new 8PSK digital muxes are SD only, no HD at all. I've seen no documentation to show anything but SD configurations on their transponders. They've not sent anything to affiliate engineers to indicate that they are going to do so any time soon. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, it is just that they are not saying anything.

ABC is using three HD transponders. None of them are 24/7. One is East/Central Sunday->Saturday. The 2nd is West on Sunday only. The last if the Mon->Fri Central/Mountain GMA feed.

Quote:
Obviously, this leads to better security as well as the signal must be able to decrypt the stream and authorized to pull out the signal, whether HD or SD for the specific time zone it needs. It's also why they said they would not be able to do GMA in HD in Central and Mountain time zone until 2nd Quarter 2006.
Like Fox, I do not believe that local affiliates can chose the SD feed. ABC NY controls the receivers. The 8PSK SD feeds are not currently encrypted. So anyone who has the money can watch the feeds. I don't have the money :D

Quote:
ABC has nothing going on in terms of the splicer (at least that I am aware of - which means zip).
They aren't. An ABC affiliate engineer and I have been communicating and he knew nothing about the Fox splicer technology. I sent him goodies. Now he knows more about how it works.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #106 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic
Sorry, Fox is very good for throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. They are also fast to move off what doesn't catch on quickly. In all honesty, if they didn't they wouldnt be able to try so many different shows - some of which work and others that don't.
And this tactic has caused critics and viewers to ream Fox a new a**hole. Why should anyone invest time in a new Fox program when it might not be around tomorrow? Fox is too damn quick in pulling shows.

I know I do not trust Fox at all anymore.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #107 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
Yes, each time zone has a HD stream and an SD stream that have to be on the same transponder since the SD stream is output from the IRD in either SDI or NTSC Composite for the analog channel while the HD streams (actually all of the streams on that transponder) is passed through the IRD to the splicer that then selects the correct HD stream, as commanded by network. In neither case does the station have control over which stream they get. That is made by network and if they switch the wrong stream (which does happen at times) the station has to call network and have them switch, which is why it takes a few minutes to get things switched. The most noticable was the AI final when many of the Eastern Time zone stations got their HD feed switched to the Mountain HD feed and the show started over while the SD stream out of the IRD remained on the Eastern feed. Once a command is sent to the splicer to change streams, the software will not allow a stream change until the next local break when the splicer is off line so those with the Mountain HD feed of AI had to wait almost 15 minutes until the next local break came up for the splicer to be switched off line.
What you have written here is different than what I got out of the Fox engineering documentation in regard to how the stations are wired.

First off, on a side topic, it is my understanding that each of the four transponders carries 4-HD and 4-SD streams and has done so since the time they converted to this scheme. I understand that one bird, G4R, is the primary and G3R is the backup. That means, for normal primetime programming, there are 8-HD and 8-SD streams available. At any one hour, only a maximum of 2-HD and 2-SD streams are required. That is because of the overlap of Central/Mountain and Mountain/Pacific. What are the other six HD and SD streams doing? During football, I can understand needing all 16 of the HD and SD streams for localization of the games.

OK, now on to your posting. As I understand it, each affiliate has three receivers. One for SD, one for HD and one for SD backup. The backup could be for HD as well. I'd have to consult the wiring diagrams. It is also my understanding that there is zero composite video/baseband audio available from the receivers. The ATSC output has to go into another box for decoding so that the analog can be used and the HD net feed monitored. Again, I'd have to look at the documentation to get the model number of the receiver used for decoding.

Are all 8 streams really fed into the splicer? I thought that the ASI data output was only one of the eight streams as selected in the receiver. Net control tells the receiver which of four antenna inputs to use and which of the four streams to output (depending if it is the SD or HD receiver). The splicer input took the HD ATSC stream that was selected at the receiver and output it to the station's transmitter, if and only if the local station selected net on the master control board (since a tally output is used to tell the splicer to go net or local).

Did I misread the documentation?

BTW, if the current system says that the network feed selection can't be changed until the network is not available (yes, I know there is a bit for that, that the stations can use as well), is pretty poor design. To force a station and viewers to stick with a network frackup for a long period is not good. I can understand that doing a switch in the middle of being live will cause a glitch in the MPEG stream for a short period, put that is many times better than being forced to view the wrong programming for who knows how long.

Viewers are used to glitches. Just look at most of the other stations in this country and how they switch between net and local. Not exactly glitch free.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #108 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I haven't, only because it is rerun time and I wasn't paying attention to Fox going full-time 73+ Mbps on each of the transponders.

To see my take on Fox's HD encoder, run on over to http://vidiot.com/TVShows/ and scroll on down to where I talk about Fox and their HD. I provide pictures as proof. As far as I am concerned, the HD encoder they are using sucks.

If I don't forget, I will capture an hour of 24 Friday night and look to see if there are any improvements in the average bitrate and if they've fixed the encoder problem, as described in the webpage. I can take the captured stream and run it through TSReader and see what the instant video bitrate is. I will also edit the hour and see what VideoReDo tells me the program's average bitrate is.

I'll report back with my findings.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #109 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo
The CW network feed will be handled by CBS/Viacom in New York.
Guess you missed the news. CBS and Viacom are separate companies.
post #110 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD
Guess you missed the news. CBS and Viacom are separate companies.
You are quite correct. It is going to take a while to get used to that and not call the TOC the CBS/Viacom TOC. Actually, it might stay the CBS/Viacom TOC, at least in spirit, since Viacom doesn't have a TOC of their own. The non-network stuff has to be uplinked somewhere. :D

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #111 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To see my take on Fox's HD encoder, run on over to http://vidiot.com/TVShows/ and scroll on down to where I talk about Fox and their HD. I provide pictures as proof. As far as I am concerned, the HD encoder they are using sucks.
Fox uses Tandberg encoders, considered by many to be the best. My personal experience with these encoders have been very good as far as PQ goes. ABC is changing to these encoders. I'm curious which encoder you prefer.
post #112 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 10:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD
Fox uses Tandberg encoders, considered by many to be the best. My personal experience with these encoders have been very good as far as PQ goes. ABC is changing to these encoders. I'm curious which encoder you prefer.
As can be seen by the images I posted, the Fox HD looks like crap. Funny thing is, high motion doesn't seem to affect it like fades and scene changes do. As I mentioned, for a scene change, it can take up to 5 24fps image frames before the macroblocking clears. IT is so easy to see when it happens. Damn annoying.

It is going to be tough to compare the same encoder when the bitrate used is drastically different. With ABC using ~40+ Mbps, it is harder to have the macroblocking errors that are seen in the images I posted.

What is even weirder is the WB netowrk HD feed. I have no idea what encoder they use, but at a bitrate that is pretty much equal to Fox, their DVB-S MPEG-2 feed does not have the scene change errors that Fox has.

Tonight's Supernatural had an average video bitrate of 9.75 Mbps. I just looked at the start of the episode and the fades are clean and the rapid cutting of scenes didn't even cause the encoder to blink. This same material would have driven the Fox encoder nuts.

Like I posted, I'll try and remember to capture tonight's 24 (one of them) and see if the problems are still there and if the bitrate is now higher.

I seriously have no hope that anything has improved. But, I certainly do hope that it has. I just won't place a big wager on it.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #113 of 292 Old 07-20-2006, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Like I posted, I'll try and remember to capture tonight's 24 (one of them) and see if the problems are still there and if the bitrate is now higher.
Be advised that FOX changed their program line-up -- there is only one episode of 24 on tomorrow, at 9pm ET/PT.
post #114 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 12:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Be advised that FOX changed their program line-up -- there is only one episode of 24 on tomorrow, at 9pm ET/PT.
You sure? I just checked the Fox press web site and the revised listings still show two 24 episodes tonight. Fox is pretty good at keeping the web site up-to-date.

But, I'll keep a watchful eye out, just in case.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #115 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You sure? I just checked the Fox press web site and the revised listings still show two 24 episodes tonight. Fox is pretty good at keeping the web site up-to-date.
Absolutely certain. Check here: http://fox.com/schedule/

Also, check this news item in the "Hot off the Press!" section of this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7992021
post #116 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Absolutely certain. Check here: http://fox.com/schedule/

Also, check this news item in the "Hot off the Press!" section of this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7992021
Wow, so much for keeping the web site up-to-date, especially since it started last Friday. Just goes to prove that Fox is going to Hell in a handbasket.

Fox is just proving that they do not care about their viewers. They've only ordered 16 episodes of The OC, when they normally do around 24. As one article indicated, they'll be done by the end of February.

Their programming actions just proves to me that they are idiots.

In any event, I won't attempt to capture 24 at 7pm CT, since it won't be there :-)

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #117 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In any event, I won't attempt to capture 24 at 7pm CT, since it won't be there :-)
Good idea. :D For what it's worth, I agree with you about the artifacts on the scene changes and fades. Even on something that is pretty simplistic, like The Simpsons, the artifacts on the cuts can be mighty fierce.
post #118 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
What you have written here is different than what I got out of the Fox engineering documentation in regard to how the stations are wired.

First off, on a side topic, it is my understanding that each of the four transponders carries 4-HD and 4-SD streams and has done so since the time they converted to this scheme. I understand that one bird, G4R, is the primary and G3R is the backup. That means, for normal primetime programming, there are 8-HD and 8-SD streams available. At any one hour, only a maximum of 2-HD and 2-SD streams are required. That is because of the overlap of Central/Mountain and Mountain/Pacific. What are the other six HD and SD streams doing? During football, I can understand needing all 16 of the HD and SD streams for localization of the games.
I think you misread what I wrote. Each time zone has its own SD and HD streams on the same transponder, that is true. There are a total of 3 time zone feeds, Eastern/Pacific, Central, Mountain for a total of 6 streams (3 SD, 3 HD) and they have had a seventh SD stream up for multi purposes. The eastern feed is lit up again at 11pm ET for the Pacific. Actually you can have all three time zones lit up at the same time depending on the time of year. Eastern (Pacific), Mountain and those states that do not observe Daylight Time or change time from the norm. The programming on main and backup birds are duplicated so you still only have 3 streams of SD and 3 streams of HD, albeit on two different birds.

During NFL, they light up a max of 4 HD streams (per bird and duplicated over two transponders per bird last season) at the same time, no matter whether it is 4 for the 1pm ET game and then 2 for the 4pm ET game or 4 for the 4pm ET game and 2 for the 1pm game or any combination for a total of 6 games max per day.

Quote:
OK, now on to your posting. As I understand it, each affiliate has three receivers. One for SD, one for HD and one for SD backup. The backup could be for HD as well. I'd have to consult the wiring diagrams. It is also my understanding that there is zero composite video/baseband audio available from the receivers. The ATSC output has to go into another box for decoding so that the analog can be used and the HD net feed monitored. Again, I'd have to look at the documentation to get the model number of the receiver used for decoding.
There are actually 4 IRDs, A, B, C, D (Wegener 5000, no longer made). A and B are the main and backup SD IRD's. C is used for FOX News Edge, the news feed for stations who do news. Not all stations have a C receiver. The D receiver was originally used as the 480i 16:9 network feed pre splicer. It is now used for promo feeds and further backup for either A and B or C. All 4 receivers have analog composite video and left right audio outputs as well as SDI video AES/EBU audio outputs for SD use and one ASI output for the splicer.

Quote:
Are all 8 streams really fed into the splicer? I thought that the ASI data output was only one of the eight streams as selected in the receiver. Net control tells the receiver which of four antenna inputs to use and which of the four streams to output (depending if it is the SD or HD receiver). The splicer input took the HD ATSC stream that was selected at the receiver and output it to the station's transmitter, if and only if the local station selected net on the master control board (since a tally output is used to tell the splicer to go net or local).

Did I misread the documentation?
Broken down, the splicer is nothing more than a computer (that runs a highly modified version of some obscure version of Linux) that acts as a fancy mux for splicing network streams into the stations stream with station PSIP intact and insertion of bugs and unrelated mono audio (intended for weather alerts and such created locally at the station). The splicer input is connected to the ASI output on IRD A only and network commands are passed through the ASI stream to the splicer to select which network stream to have available for on air when the station splices the network feed on air to the digital transmitter. There is an ASI monitor that is connected to an ASI monitor port on the splicer included (a Tanberg, I forget the model number) and yes, all of the streams (SD and HD) on that transponder are available and can be monitored with the ASI monitor. I have personally seen them.

Quote:
BTW, if the current system says that the network feed selection can't be changed until the network is not available (yes, I know there is a bit for that, that the stations can use as well), is pretty poor design. To force a station and viewers to stick with a network frackup for a long period is not good. I can understand that doing a switch in the middle of being live will cause a glitch in the MPEG stream for a short period, put that is many times better than being forced to view the wrong programming for who knows how long.

Viewers are used to glitches. Just look at most of the other stations in this country and how they switch between net and local. Not exactly glitch free.
FOX appears to disagree with you on that one.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #119 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
During NFL, they light up a max of 4 HD streams (per bird and duplicated over two transponders per bird last season) at the same time, no matter whether it is 4 for the 1pm ET game and then 2 for the 4pm ET game or 4 for the 4pm ET game and 2 for the 1pm game or any combination for a total of 6 games max per day.
Does that mean there is 4 HD and 3 SD streams per transponder? I thought there were also some other streams added for regional commercials.
post #120 of 292 Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Good idea. :D For what it's worth, I agree with you about the artifacts on the scene changes and fades. Even on something that is pretty simplistic, like The Simpsons, the artifacts on the cuts can be mighty fierce.
I just set up MyHD for a "reservation" to capture the program tonight.

I wonder if any of the Fox affiliates have complained to Fox engineering about the encoding quality.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page