AVS Forum banner

AT&T U-verse HDTV

716K views 4K replies 596 participants last post by  macmane 
#1 ·
U-verse TV, Internet & Voice ...

Check AT&T U-verse Availability

AT&T U-verse Keeps Getting Better With Service Expansion, More Upgrades and Apps

248,000 net gain in AT&T U-verse TV subscribers during Q4 reach 2.1 million in service, up more than 1 million in 2009, with continued high broadband and voice attach rates. Overall AT&T Registers 2.7 Million Net Customer Additions in Q4 2009 Posts $30.9 billion in revenues for the period. http://news.softpedia.com/news/AT-T-...9-133418.shtml

March 30th, 2010 AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet in All U-verse TV Markets Brings 24Mbps download speeds
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AT-T-...s-138774.shtml

The evolution of AT&T U-verseSM TV continued in the second quarter of 2009 as we introduced several service enhancements and interactive applications to customers at no extra cost. We began the rollout of our exclusive new Total Home DVR functionality that allows customers to schedule and delete recordings from any U-verse receiver in the home. And we launched the Mobile Remote Access App for iPhone, giving customers another easy way to remotely schedule DVR recordings. U-verse Internet Max customers received a 20 percent downstream speed increase for free. As AT&T U-verse builds on its history of ongoing upgrades for our customers, we continue to see customer growth and demand across our triple-play of services. Below is a recap on our AT&T U-verse growth and highlights from the second quarter. Update 2Q09 http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...rse_Update.pdf

DEPLOYMENT: Continued Network and Service Expansion
U-verse TV available in 105 markets (MSAs) across 19 states, with launches in Champaign-Springfield-Decatur and Corpus Christi and regular expansions in existing markets. U-verse Voice available in 93 markets, with launches in West Palm Beach, Orlando and Raleigh-Durham. More than 19 million living units passed by our advanced fiber network, with ongoing expansion.

Launched in order of introduction: June 2006 to June 2007

1. San Antonio, Texas

2. Houston, Texas

3. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.

4. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.

5. Hartford, Conn.

6. New Haven, Conn.

7. Stamford, Conn.

8. Indianapolis, Ind.

9. Muncie, Ind.

10. Bloomington, Ind.

11. Anderson, Ind.

12. Milwaukee, Wis.

13. Racine, Wis.

14. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas

15. Kansas City, Kan.

16. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif.

17. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.

18. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif.

19. Detroit-Warren-Livonia, Mich.

20. Ann Arbor, Mich.

21. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, Calif.

22. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, Ohio

23. Akron, Ohio

SOURCE: AT&T

Check AT&T U-verse Availability http://localization.att.com/loc/cont...p/home/explore

Motorola Receiver/DVR VIP 1200 Series Installation Manual
http://www.att.com/support_media/ima...0-receiver.pdf

AT&T: Lightspeed Could Dim Cable

By Karen Brown 1/31/2006 10:53:00 PM

AT&T Inc. continues to glow about its Project Lightspeed fiber-to-the-home initiative, this time telling a group of analysts at a New York conference Tuesday that the technology will force cable operators to pony up as much as $20 billion in plant upgrades to keep pace.

John Stankey, AT&T's senior executive vice president and chief technology officer, told analysts at the daylong conference that Project Lightspeed is on track to expand from its San Antonio controlled deployment to include several new markets starting this summer. AT&T is on track to roll out the Lightspeed-powered U-verse video service in 20 markets by year's end, Stankey added.

Based on the network build so far, AT&T is estimating that it will be able to offer big bandwidth to Lightspeed subscribers.

We've got the speed we need to deliver IP-based [Internet protocol] services, Stankey said. We've seen speeds of 25 megabits per second and more at shorter loop lengths.

Starting in late 2007, it can also pair bonding and compression technology to deliver even more bandwidth, Stankey added. In contrast, he said, cable operators will face a more constrained cable plant and limits to how much they can increase bandwidth using higher quadrature-amplitude-modulation transmission schemes.

In my opinion, cable needs to respond to our Lightspeed offering through capital expenditures. At the low end, that could total $20 billion, he told the analysts.

Lightspeed won't come cheap for AT&T, however. The company expects to spend $1.4 billion this year, $1.7 billion in 2007 and $1.3 billion in 2008 for Lightspeed construction. That will expand Lightspeed from 3 million homes passed now to 9 million in 2007 and 18 million by 2008.

Replacing copper with fiber links leading to the customer premises could save the telco as much as $700 million in annual operational costs by 2011, Stankey said. It can also ramp up average revenue per user to at least $60 -- the average now for its Dish Network direct-broadcast satellite customers -- and it will be able to keep all of that revenue.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...=Breaking+News

See less See more
#3,056 ·
Anyone with a VIP 1225 DVR having lag problems with their remotes? I posted this also in the Logitech Harmony One section, but I have the same problems with the original AT&T remote as well, argh!!!!!

Just curious, as its been a long time since I bought my ONE; does it do RF commands as well? Reason I ask, my AT&T U-Verse DVR (a Motorola VIP-1225) has extremely horrible lag with commands being sent, if they take them at all. Same problems happen with the original AT&T remote as well. This can become quite frustrating when trying to type in a long search string, or using a "favorite channel" icon. Example: I want to watch the SyFy channel on #1151. If I use my fav icon, it might get just 1 or 151, or 115, or just a 5. Or just trying to up/down to a recorded show and press enter to begin can take 20 presses on the ONE or the original remote!

I had a tech come out once to check this out. He told me there might be a signal deflection problem with the IR being sent, as in bouncing off my plasma screen etc, and that I should aim the remote downwards when pressing commands, argh!

(* note: all my other equipment does NOT have this lag problem, nor do I have to hold the remote at a certain angle!)

Well, that sort of works, but not good enough. Now the other day when I was in the AT&T store, I see they now have a new RF controller available! And I do recall there is a Harmony remote that does RF. Is it the ONE? And if so, how can I get it to send out an RF signal only for the AT&T DVR?

#3,059 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/0

Yes they have.

As has Verizon. Both are concentrating on increasing the adoption rate in areas already covered. For both companies much of the money that would have been spent on expansion is being dedicated to expansion/upgrade of their cellular networks.

#3,060 ·
November 29, 2010 1:25 PM PST

by Greg Sandoval

The so-called Netflix killers built by HBO and Cinemax got a boost today as AT&T announced that customers of the company's U-verse service will have online access to shows from those pay TV services.

AT&T said that customers of U-verse, an Internet protocol TV service that as of a year ago had 2 million subscribers, can log on to Hbogo.com and Maxgo.com and watch their shows via the Web--provided they also subscribe to HBO and Cinemax.

The Internet offerings from HBO and Cinemax, which launched this year, are in need of some good news. The momentum propelling Netflix, Hulu, and the Web TV sector in general only appears to be building. In its latest earnings report (for the quarter ended September 30), Netflix said its subscriber numbers had grown by more than 5 million over its figures from the same period last year. Meanwhile, HBO's parent company, Time Warner, said earlier this month that it expects to lose 1.5 million HBO subscribers this year.

Nonetheless, HBO is sticking to the "TV Everywhere" strategy employed by cable and pay TV service, which calls for enabling subscribers to access their shows via the Web.

At a conference in Spain earlier this month, John Martin, Time Warner's chief financial officer, acknowledged the lackluster adoption of HBO Go but suggested that the numbers would rise once additional Internet service providers, such as AT&T, began to make the service available to their customers.

Meanwhile, there's been a lot of talking in the last week about how Netflix will need to start paying more to the studios and TV networks to stream their movies and shows. If price continues to be a factor, then the cable and pay TV services could be in a better position to compete against Netflix by offering more online content.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20...#ixzz16iYPVz68

#3,061 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE /forum/post/19521816

Most people here are very particular about PQ (otherwise they wouldn't be here). So keep that in mind, however the fact is that the PQ on Uverse could be better. The trade off is they offer a lot of channels, the DVR is good and they have package deals which are cost effective. IMO, if you want really great PQ then just watch a Blu-ray, otherwise TV is just that, "TV" whether it's HD or not.

This is exactly why, when I was first considering u-verse, I initially glossed over all the reviews on here and other websites about poor picture quality. I figured, "these are just a bunch of videophiles complaining because it isn't quite blu-ray."

Now I know better. Trust me - I'm no videophile. My wife is even less so. I'm not somebody who sticks a light reader up to the screen and complains about "black levels." I just know from comparison that u-verse's HD PQ is very poor. I've had Cox cable service (Wichita), Surewest/Everest cable service in KC, and I've also seen my parents' Time Warner cable service in KC. All three blow u-verse away in terms of HD PQ.

As for the folks who are happy with the HD PQ, I can only think of three explanations:

(1) Maybe they don't watch sports or other programming with a lot of motion (its the motion that causes PQ to significantly degrade).

(2) Maybe u-verse compresses the signal less in some markets (I doubt this).

(3) Maybe they just don't know any better, or some cable/satelite operations are worse or on par with u-verse.

If you are considering u-verse, and if you care about your HD, I would strongly consider checking out the PQ before you switch. If you don't know somebody with u-verse, just go over to the customer service center and check it out there. Put it on ESPN. No doubt, u-verse has many advantages over cable, and, at the end of the day, you might be willing to sacrifice the HD, but you ought to aware of what you're getting.

#3,062 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/19581646

(3) Maybe they just don't know any better.

Edited #3 accordingly
Both DirecTV and Dish's HD PQ, in general is better than U-Verse. According my own eyes, and the consensus of this forum.

#3,064 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/19581646

As for the folks who are happy with the HD PQ, I can only think of three explanations:

(1) Maybe they don't watch sports or other programming with a lot of motion (its the motion that causes PQ to significantly degrade).

(2) Maybe u-verse compresses the signal less in some markets (I doubt this).

(3) Maybe they just don't know any better, or some cable/satelite operations are worse or on par with u-verse.

Or maybe they're saving a sh**-ton of money every month and are getting a great value.

#3,066 ·
Sorry if this has been asked but search didn't provide anything. There doesn't seem to be many remote discrete codes in the Harmony database for the Cisco DVR. One that I would really like is a discrete code for System Resources in the System Information page so it doesn't take about 6 button presses to determine what the disk usage is. A discrete code to bring up CC would also be great. Any Harmony users out there with these or other discrete codes?

#3,067 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo
Sorry if this has been asked but search didn't provide anything. There doesn't seem to be many remote discrete codes in the Harmony database for the Cisco DVR. One that I would really like is a discrete code for System Resources in the System Information page so it doesn't take about 6 button presses to determine what the disk usage is. A discrete code to bring up CC would also be great. Any Harmony users out there with these or other discrete codes?
There doesn't appear to be codes for CC, and I haven't looked for system resources either but i'll bet its not there either. The discrete code for CC would be awesome, and frankly I'm surprised Cisco hasn't updated to allow for one yet.

#3,068 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr
There doesn't appear to be codes for CC, and I haven't looked for system resources either but i'll bet its not there either. The discrete code for CC would be awesome, and frankly I'm surprised Cisco hasn't updated to allow for one yet.
That's too bad. It doesn't seem it would be difficult to add these. Why make it so difficult to see how much space is left on the hard drive.

#3,070 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant /forum/post/19608966

Regarding PQ of UVerse - Mine is on a par with broadcast. Even with sports events. Now I'm only 3 houses and a street away from the VRAD and ATT has repaired some cable problems between me and it. So it seems like it's hard to know what kind of PQ is available until you get the service.

I had u-verse installed last week. I kept my old cable provider for about

5 days so I could compare the HD on both of them. In addition I have

an antenna in the attic for OTA HD.

After switching back and forth for a couple of days, I decided that

my u-verse is as good as my cable was. I also compared it to local

OTA HD channels and could't decide which was better.

I watched Mizzou on Espnu HD last night and it was outstanding.

I am watching on a 40" Samsung LED TV.

#3,071 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_mccarter
I had u-verse installed last week. I kept my old cable provider for about

5 days so I could compare the HD on both of them. In addition I have

an antenna in the attic for OTA HD.

After switching back and forth for a couple of days, I decided that

my u-verse is as good as my cable was. I also compared it to local

OTA HD channels and could't decide which was better.

I watched Mizzou on Espnu HD last night and it was outstanding.

I am watching on a 40" Samsung LED TV.
As good as OTA? That's quite an endorsement. When you watch a football game, how's the field look? Nice crisp definition, or a field of shifting green blocks? When you look at the little info graphics at the bottom of the screen, are the words crisp, or do you get a lot of blocky pixelation around the words?

I find it very hard to believe that you aren't experiencing the same compression artifacts a lot of others are complaining of. I had multiple techs inspect my signal quality, and they said it was fine. The last tech told me this was a result of the compression AT&T uses, and I really doubt the signal is compressed more in some areas than in others.

It isn't my TV. I've got a top-rated 50" Panasonic plasma, which is about as good as you can get for watching sports (and I also know this from comparison to other cable providers).

I'll figure out a way to post some pictures soon.

#3,072 ·
Add me in as another with fine Uverse PQ. No pixelation. I have DirecTv as well and when comparing the two I see no diff in PQ, except that the DTV pic does pixelate or freeze every now and then, Uverse does not. I'm at 2700 ft in St Louis.

#3,073 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/19634623

As good as OTA? That's quite an endorsement. When you watch a football game, how's the field look? Nice crisp definition, or a field of shifting green blocks? When you look at the little info graphics at the bottom of the screen, are the words crisp, or do you get a lot of blocky pixelation around the words?

I find it very hard to believe that you aren't experiencing the same compression artifacts a lot of others are complaining of. I had multiple techs inspect my signal quality, and they said it was fine. The last tech told me this was a result of the compression AT&T uses, and I really doubt the signal is compressed more in some areas than in others.

It isn't my TV. I've got a top-rated 50" Panasonic plasma, which is about as good as you can get for watching sports (and I also know this from comparison to other cable providers).

All the words are crisp, even on the back of the helmets.

The field looks great.

#3,074 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod /forum/post/19582279

Or maybe they're saving a sh**-ton of money every month and are getting a great value.

I'm in that group! I've had U-Verse for a year now, and no way would I ever go back to Charter cable. And with the sat providers you have to buy a crapload of equipment to equal what I get with U-Verse for 3 HDTV's and 2 SD TV's. The whole-house DVR is awesome, and the DVR itself soaks up HD programming like a sponge--at one point I had about 27% room remaining and yet was able to record FOUR college football games in HD and still had a lot of room left (quite a difference from Charter's 20-hour HD DVR). For me, the HD is on a par with Charter's, yeah there may be more macroblocking on sports, but I don't really pay attention to to the PQ. I saw "Avatar" on HBO during the U-450 free preview (I have U-200) and it looked great, recorded it as well so now I'm in no rush to get the BD.

#3,075 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak /forum/post/19634623

Today I used a split screen PIP with u-verse and CBS to check out the

noon football game. I could not tell a difference in PQ.

U-verse furnished a Motorola VIP1225 which is set at 1080i and

connected by HDMI. My other TV's have a VIP1200.

I get 3hd and 1sd streams.

#3,079 ·
Well, providers vary (and even the same ones have varied over the last, 6 years), but in the last 6 years, I've never seen anything approaching what it was like 10-12 or so years ago.

It's just strange, because U-Verse's HD is universally (pun intended) not well-regarded at all around here since it's been around. What you're saying is just highly unusual outside of this thread, that's all.

#3,080 ·
I've only been watching HDTV for about 8 years, and from my experience *no* provider has the same PQ as existed back then.

Over that time span, I've had OTA, D*, Comcast, and now U-verse. U-verse is the worst of all, by a long shot. Although it's acceptable for content that doesn't have a lot of motion, sports and other shows with fast motion are below acceptable. Watching football on my 65" display is a mess, although it's not quite so bad on the 50" and 42" sets.

Once my introductory rate expires in a few months, I'll be dropping U-verse and probably going back to Comcast. I really like the whole house DVR and I'm paying a lot less for more channels, but I've spent too much on my HDTV's to feed it a signal that is inadequate for my needs which include a lot of sports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.