AT&T U-verse HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4220 Old 08-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called the 800 number for uverse to get it set up in my new home. Let me share the process with you:
1) logged on to u-verse site
2) Identified that Dallas has u-verse
3) spent 10-15 min's filling out their forms and setting up an order install
4) would not allow me to place order on line
5) called back a couple days later on a Sat morning
6) after spending 10 min's on hold I reached a rep who didn't speak English. I gave her about 10 minutes and hung up after repeating my zip code for the 5th time
7) called again, another 10 minutes on hold. Spoke with a rep who fumbled around for 5-10 minutes. Was not sure if I could get u-verse. Then told me I had to call another number.
8) called the new number, another 10 min's or so on hold. Got a similar story as point 7 above but this person was able to transfer me
9) on hold 15 min's for special u-verse line since my zip is fiber optic and the "normal" reps don't handle this.
10) after about 70 minutes of hold/conversation I speak to a person who tells me the dept. I need to talk to is closed on Saturday. He was kind enough to take my number and have a rep call on Monday.

I thought....hmmn, over an hour to determine that they are not open? I wonder what might happen if I have an issue with their service. Did a quick google search and found page after page of complaints about problems.

For kicks I thought I would call Time Warner. They have bundle featuring super fast internet, tv and phone. I dialed them up, got an answer after the third ring....an actual human answered!!! I picked myself up from the floor and continued to order the three services mentioned and completed the process in 10-15 minutes. This was still on Saturday.

I thought I would share my story with this community. This experience with AT&T is the worst I've ever had with any company I've dealt with in my nearly 5 decades on this planet.

If it takes AT&T over an hour to tell me the department is closed, I'm wondering how long it would take to fix a problem once one had service?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4220 Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post

Perhaps you mean to say "I can't get faster internet on UVerse than what CABLEVISION provides"

Plenty of other cable operators are offering tiers like 768K/512K, 2M/512K, 4M/512K, 6M/512K, 6M/1M. When you compare to that, UVerse 6M/1M doesn't look so bad. You're extremely fortunate to only pay $45 for 15/2. That's awesome. TWC and WOW around here charge $79 - $89 (internet unbundled) for speeds lower than that. 30/5 is a total pipe dream here in NE Ohio.

TWC Roadrunner service offers 10mbps speed...fastest I've seen in Dallas, TX. Cost doesn't matter, just needs to work if it's your business life line.
post #723 of 4220 Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Perhaps you mean to say "I can't get faster internet on UVerse than what CABLEVISION provides"

OK, fair enough. Sorry you are not as fortunate with your cable internet speed as I am.
post #724 of 4220 Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspeed View Post

I thought I would share my story with this community. This experience with AT&T is the worst I've ever had with any company I've dealt with in my nearly 5 decades on this planet.

Sounds like the experience I had with SBC (now ATT) a couple years ago when I attempted to renew my DSL service for another year. The website only handled new orders, not renewals, so doing it online was out of the question. So I was on the phone for at least an hour, and got switched all over the country (Ohio, Texas, Detroit, and a couple others) while they tried to figure out who did what.

When I called to cancel DSL with them a couple months ago, the lady made me an incredible offer for naked DSL which they don't seem to advertise anywhere. Too little, too late.
post #725 of 4220 Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleonard View Post

If you are into HD programming, I would stay far far away from Uverse. SD looked better than my current cable, but HD was a big quality drop. I liked the program guide, DVR and price savings from my current cable provider (WOW). I just don't think the quality is there yet.

Your conclusions above match mine.

I went from Comcast to uverse in march of this year. The reason I left Comcast was over price gouging. My "triple play $99 special" went up from $130 to $160 after the one year deal was over. Yes that right, my $99 service cost $130 because of taxes, misc fees and a cable box rental fee.

In addition:

About the HiSpeed
The 6 Mbps download speed clocks in at about 5.5 Mbps, sounds good. BUT when I download from my news server (same one I used with my cable hi speed at 3 Mbps) it can only reach half of the download speed (~500kbs) of what my cable hi speed did(~1mbs). Also in general I am faster than the server sending me any file. I am going to dump the elite and save some $.

About the HD
Only having one HD feed is an unexpected problem. If I am recording a hd feed I can only watch SD material as the second feed. I did not think this would be a problem but it drives me nuts.

For awhile I had both Comcast and uverse. HD is much better on cable. And forget about watching sports in SD. Even on my bedroom 23"crt the motion artifacts make the picture unwatchable.

About the Future of Uverse
If the predicted upgrades happen in the next year or two uverse will live.
If not uverse will fade away.

Post Elven Ent
post #726 of 4220 Old 08-04-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Sounds like the experience I had with SBC (now ATT) a couple years ago when I attempted to renew my DSL service for another year.

After the initial 12 month (DSL) committment ends, there's shouldn't be a need to renew. Unless that's changed recently.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #727 of 4220 Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

After the initial 12 month (DSL) committment ends, there's shouldn't be a need to renew. Unless that's changed recently.

The problem is when the 12 month committment is about to end the ONLY notification you get is one email to a never-used SBC email account. No notice via snail mail, no telemarketing phone call, or a mention on the bill. You just get a big slap in the face on the 13th month when your DSL service goes from $15 - $25/mo to $45 - $59 a month. I'm sure they count on most people being too ignorant/lazy to call after the term is up to renew at the lower rate, so they effectively make bank on these questionable practices. In the 7 years I've had DSL with SBC, I've NEVER got a snail mail or postcard saying "gee you've been a great customer, we'd hate to have you leave so please call XXX to renew at our $14.95 or $24.95 rate we offer to everybody else" It's always been an ordeal year after year and I've been screwed out of hundreds of dollars.

I also think it's mildly deceptive that they never mention naked DSL as an option. I originally had naked DSL with them way back when, but they eliminated that option and required landline voice service with the DSL. Now they've gone back to offering naked DSL but there would be no way for J6P customer to know that.
post #728 of 4220 Old 08-05-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That's strange; I've never had the price go up after initial committment. If so, I'd have promptly dumped them.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #729 of 4220 Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Now in the Oklahoma City metro area: http://newsok.com/article/3099487

By Jim Stafford
Business Writer
AT&T is bringing a new television programming alternative to the Oklahoma City area today when it launches its "U-verse service.

The telecommunications giant is launching the U-verse service in parts of Oklahoma City, Edmond, Moore and Norman, bringing up to 320 channels of television programming in an Internet protocol-based network that combines high-speed Internet and digital television in the package. ...
post #730 of 4220 Old 08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspeed View Post

TWC Roadrunner service offers 10mbps speed...fastest I've seen in Dallas, TX. Cost doesn't matter, just needs to work if it's your business life line.

I think, but am not sure, that TWC plans that speed here in Northeast Ohio.

For now, it's only 6mpbs, which I have. But they've been in the process of consolidating Adelphia into TWCNEO. (There's also another "incumbent" TWCNEO system based in Akron.) I have no idea if they're kicking it up to 10mbps over here in Ex-AdelphiaLand yet.

As for AT&T U-verse, we have it here, but might not. I live in the main city in this county, but have a mailing address of the nearby suburb (long story). There's one of those refrigerator-sized AT&T boxes out front of our subdivision, but we may not be able to get it on this side of the city line until a statewide law takes effect in the next month or two.
post #731 of 4220 Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

AT&T's fiber-optic TV is tied up in knots
Issues in Connecticut
By Brian Lockhart
Staff Writer
Advocate (Stamford, CT)
August 12, 2007

For months, AT&T has been attempting to lure Cablevision and satellite customers in Norwalk, Stamford and 33 other municipalities to its new U-verse fiber-optic television service.

But a recent court decision has state Attorney General Richard Blumenthal calling on the state Department of Public Utility Control to stop AT&T from signing up new customers.

"AT&T right now is in a kind of regulatory limbo," Blumenthal said last week. "It's providing a service but has no franchise (and) no license to undertake the activity that it is doing."

Late last month, a U.S. District Court judge issued a summary judgment overturning the DPUC's decision allowing AT&T to offer U-verse without applying for a cable franchise.

Blumenthal last week petitioned DPUC to order AT&T to seek a cable license.

But spokesmen for AT&T and the DPUC called Blumenthal's request premature because the telecommunications giant still can challenge the decision.

AT&T's Seth Bloom said the company filed a "motion for reconsideration" Thursday, believing the judge "overlooked or misconstrued several crucial legal and factual matters."

AT&T could appeal the decision, Bloom said, saying the company has no intention of halting expansion of U-verse.

"We're going forward full-throttle," Bloom said.

The DPUC issued a 3-2 decision that U-verse could be offered in June 2006.

"We took the Federal Communications Commission's definition of what constitutes cable television and said 'OK, this is different. You're not a cable company,' " DPUC spokeswoman Beryl Lyons said last week.

AT&T and its supporters touted the decision as a victory for consumers seeking alternatives in a limited cable market with ever-increasing prices. But opponents like the state Office of Consumer Counsel, which challenged DPUC's decision in court, said the DPUC freed AT&T from restrictions that provide protections for consumers.

Blumenthal said he welcomes AT&T's entry into the television field but is concerned AT&T will offer U-verse only in wealthier communities or where it is cheaper to locate the necessary infrastructure. Bloom flatly denies the allegation.

In late December, AT&T began offering packages with as many as 300 TV and music channels in Stamford and Norwalk.

AT&T found some novel ways of advertising, including a specially outfitted ice-cream truck with a flat-panel TV on the side.

In Norwalk, home of Cablevision's Connecticut operations, AT&T unleashed some "stealth" marketing in the form of the fictional "Bobby Choice," a stocky, balding man who claimed to live in the Silvermine section of the city where trees blocked satellite transmissions.

Choice touted U-verse at various nightspots, doling out T-shirts with his grinning image, and claimed on his Web site that "AT&T U-verse is Awesome!" after years of suffering with cable television.

Residents of 33 other towns and cities, including Bridgeport, Danbury, New Haven, Waterbury, New London and Middletown, also can receive U-verse television, Bloom said.

"The intention is to offer it to as many as we can," he said, likening the service to AT&T's digital subscriber line, available in 90 percent of the state.

Lyons said that if AT&T is required to apply for a cable franchise, it "won't happen overnight."

"It (the application) is a foot-and-a-half," Lyons said. "Cable franchise applications are very complex. . . . And if they come in for a cable franchise, everybody in the world will want to put restrictions on it."

So where does this leave current U-verse subscribers?

Bloom said the cable franchise process could take up to a year.

"Our hope would be that there would be no disruption," Bloom said.

Blumenthal said he expected DPUC would require AT&T to maintain the status quo as it goes through the cable franchise process.

Lyons said a potential problem for customers would be if AT&T decided to "fold-up" the U-verse service. She said the company would then be ordered to notify its customers and give them time to decide whether to return to cable or satellite.

"But that's not likely," Lyons said. "I wouldn't be terribly concerned."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...ocal-headlines
post #732 of 4220 Old 08-12-2007, 02:42 PM

This service came to Milwaukee in a few areas about 3 months ago, my friend has it and it is very bad, glitchy always having to reboot unit. He is done with it and going back to dish already. at & t rushed to get this to market and will get burned as a result. They need to get fiber into the house to get this working.
post #733 of 4220 Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM

I am trying to figure out what the best setting (1080i vs 720p) is for my set top uverse box to my hd tv.

Anyone know if uverse is delivered to the home in 1080i or 720p. I think they re encode everything to one standard and let the home box convert it to either 1080i or 720p.

Post Elven Ent
post #734 of 4220 Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Liked: 15
My guess is 480p based on my experience.
post #735 of 4220 Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleonard View Post

My guess is 480p based on my experience.

Well for SD content I would say your being generous!

Post Elven Ent
post #736 of 4220 Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Bumped for WilliamR
post #737 of 4220 Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Thanks to AVS Member Marcus Carr.

From Multichannel News:

U-verse TV will soon launch new content, according to AT&T, including five HD channels scheduled to be added by the end of this year: Lifetime Movie Network HD, History Channel HD, Animal Planet HD, TBS HD and Comcast's combo Versus/The Golf Channel HD. The telco typically has offered 26 national HD channels in the markets where U-verse TV is available.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #738 of 4220 Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 489
U-Verse is IPTV and does not work with CableCARD equipped devices, such as my TiVo Series3, so I am not interested in it, although it is now available in the OKC area.

Even if U-Verse were an option for me, I would probably pass because Cox OKC, while often a pain in the neck, provides a convenient, reliable service that already allows me to receive a single monthly statement for cable, high speed Internet, and telephone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, yada, yada.
post #739 of 4220 Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 AM

BHorn

I have U-Verse and ordered the HD service.
I wasn't getting it on screen until I went in
and changed the setting to 1080.

Go --Menu:Options:System Settings:Aspect Ratio

U-Verse is the bomb. Compared to TimeWarner Cable anyway.

dxr

Panasonic 42PZ700U -- Samsung 5084
Yamaha RX-V661 -- Ascend 340SE, 170SE
Toshiba A3x2 -- Panasonic BD10A,30K
post #740 of 4220 Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Telecom AT&T Hits TV Milestone

Sep. 5, 2007 (Investor's Business Daily)

AT&T said Wednesday that it has reached the 100,000-customer milestone for its U-verse TV service.

That's up from just 3,000 in January, but still far less than the 500,000 Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZC) (NYSE:VZ) VZ has signed up for its FiOS fiber-optic network. Many FiOS subscribers use it to get TV service.

Both phone companies are building networks that provide faster Internet speeds and TV. Verizon plans to spend $23 billion on FiOS through 2010. AT&T (NYSE:SBT) (NYSE:T) T says it will have spent $6.5 billion on U-verse through 2008.

Verizon has opted to use an all-fiber approach. It rewires homes with new optical fiber.

AT&T chose a less costly approach.

The wiring to the neighborhood nodes is a mix of fiber-optic and digital subscriber line technology, but service still comes into the home via old copper wires.

AT&T's U-verse rollout was delayed because of technical problems, but now seems to be ramping up fast in more markets.

In a recent interview with IBD, AT&T's chief technology officer, Chris Rice, addressed lingering questions about U-verse.

IBD: Is the 100,000 mark a big milestone for U-verse?

Rice: It represents the coming-of-age of IPTV (Internet protocol TV), a new type of content delivery. It shows IPTV is scaling (to more customers) and maturing very nicely.

IBD: Will this number satisfy AT&T's critics?

Rice: I'm sure there will be people who believe 100,000 isn't enough. But the fact that we've ramped up from just a few thousand in January to 100,000 says a lot about the capability of the service platform and about AT&T as a video content provider.

IBD: Some critics say that AT&T's broadband network is inferior to Verizon's.

Rice: Those people are very misinformed about our technology and what its capabilities are.

We achieve the same cost savings (as Verizon does with FiOS, from running a state-of-the-art network).

It would be good for them to look at whether Verizon is actually shutting down its old network in an overbuild environment as opposed to maintaining both old and new (in that some customers want to keep the copper wire, so Verizon might have to keep running both networks, adding to its costs).

In a recent press release, Verizon said that if you're a customer on FiOS and want to go back to copper, they'll move you back to copper.

That indicates to me they're not shutting down the old (copper) network.

In AT&T's case, we're moving customers to a fiber-to-the-node network as they come on.

People also don't understand IPTV technology. Today we're doing high-definition (broadcasts). People don't understand the compression technologies, the IPTV technologies, the architecture or the capabilities of an all-IP network.

Verizon says they're going to do IPTV, but that's not going to be easy for them (using FiOS).

IBD: AT&T's critics say Verizon will sign up more data and TV customers because FiOS provides faster Internet speeds and better high-definition video.

Rice: People don't understand Verizon's network either.

Today, Verizon has 622 megabits of downstream bandwidth on a BPON (first-generation fiber) network.

If that single fiber pair is split by 32 (customers, which is typical) that's 20 megabits each for high-speed Internet.

They have an 870-megahertz broadcast system that's run over a single (fiber) wavelength.

So they will be capacity-constrained to deliver content just like cable companies, and capacity-constrained to deliver broadband beyond 20 megabits.

They will either have to upgrade to GPON (next-generation fiber), which will give them more bandwidth but involve another (costly) overbuild, or they can convert to IPTV.

In that case, they would have to replace every set-top box they've deployed.

IBD: Some analysts say AT&T still has problems streaming hi-def programs to TVs in multiple rooms.

Rice: I think compression technology will continue to improve. I don't think we'll be challenged to offer two high-def streams along with two standard streams (to any given customer). I think we'll be more than competitive on the high-def front.

IBD: What improvements does AT&T plan for U-verse?

Rice: Today we do video sharing mobile-to-mobile. Long term, (users will be able to share) video from a mobile device to the PC in homes and ultimately to the TV.

I think having podcasts on TVs (is not) outside the realm of things we could deliver.

We've looked at pulling in iPhone personalization, family finder, flight trackers, any number of things that would take advantage of wireless assets.

IBD: Will there be an IPTV deal between Apple and AT&T, building on the iPhone relationship, in 2008?

Rice: Not that I'm aware of.

IBD: In May, AT&T hiked its capital spending estimate for U-verse to $6.5 billion through 2008, up from $5.1 billion. Why the increase?

Rice: It's tied to the success of our solution. U-verse has always had a component that was fixed, the cost to deploy the service, and a success-based component, based on the number of customers.

That success-based component includes the residential gateway (connecting to each home) and the set-top boxes, as well as a line card that goes into an electronic box in the neighborhood.

IBD: That $6.5 billion cost estimate doesn't include the Southeast U.S. region formerly served by BellSouth. When will AT&T announce IPTV plans for those nine states?

Rice: We'll be turning up Atlanta as our first market later this year or the first part of '08. I'd expect announcements after third-quarter earnings are done.

The architecture is going to be the same. It'll be fiber to the (neighborhood) node and a fiber-to-the-premises solution for all new builds.

IBD: BellSouth's fiber wiring comes closer to some homes than in most of AT&T's other markets. Will some BellSouth customers get more bandwidth for TV and data services?

Rice: Same architecture, same services, all 25 megabits per second.

IBD: Does AT&T have enough bandwidth to compete against cable companies?

Rice: We have a lot more bandwidth to homes than we're actually utilizing.

At the site of my home in San Antonio, I'm 1,500 feet away from the (neighborhood) electronics, there's 54 Mbps of service (available). We're only allocating and using 25 Mbps (so there is more available for high-def and faster Internet services).

We only need to use 25 Mbps for the video service we're offering as well as high-speed Internet and ultimately the voice over IP service we'll launch later this year.

As other services come along that need more bandwidth, we have the capability to bring it up.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1-19375710.htm
post #741 of 4220 Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Bumped for WilliamR

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Not good from what I've been reading so far. Hmmmm, my cable bill is going through the roof and I have so few HD channels now, sure wish I could get something with great HD quality, and channels.

post #742 of 4220 Old 09-07-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post

I think, but am not sure, that TWC plans that speed here in Northeast Ohio.

For now, it's only 6mpbs, which I have. But they've been in the process of consolidating Adelphia into TWCNEO. (There's also another "incumbent" TWCNEO system based in Akron.) I have no idea if they're kicking it up to 10mbps over here in Ex-AdelphiaLand yet.

As for AT&T U-verse, we have it here, but might not. I live in the main city in this county, but have a mailing address of the nearby suburb (long story). There's one of those refrigerator-sized AT&T boxes out front of our subdivision, but we may not be able to get it on this side of the city line until a statewide law takes effect in the next month or two.

According to a billboard I pass on the way home from work (in the Cleveland area) it says it is available now. I could of sworn it said 15mb but it might of only been 10, I'll check again tonight.

post #743 of 4220 Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
bgooch,

Save the above post somewhere so that when eventually AT+T come to their senses and deploy FTTP, we can all have a good laugh.

I for one do not want 'more compression' applied to my HD programming; it already has enough thank you. Also, with more and more people buying HDTVs, 2 HD streams are simply not enough. Most people have more than one TV; when both of those are HDTV capable AND are connected to an HD DVR, you need 4 HD streams at a minimum. Many people require more, even today.

Sounds like the spokeman was just trying to slam Verizon's business plan and trying to make it sound like AT+T's 'UVerse' was equivilent: it's not.

Bish
post #744 of 4220 Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorxring View Post

BHorn

I have U-Verse and ordered the HD service.
I wasn't getting it on screen until I went in
and changed the setting to 1080.

Go --Menu:Options:System Settings:Aspect Ratio

U-Verse is the bomb. Compared to TimeWarner Cable anyway.

dxr

Thanks for the pm.

I have found that the box will reset itself on its own to 480. grrrrr!

Its done it a few times this summer.

Post Elven Ent
post #745 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
AT&T closes in on upgrades in C'ville

September 10, 2007
By Rebecca O'Halloran STAFF WRITER

CARPENTERSVILLE -- Since Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed a law in June leveling the playing field for companies that want to offer cable service, AT&T has been quick to roll out its $8 billion, 22-state "Project Lightspeed" in Illinois.

AT&T will install 33 new equipment cabinets at public rights of way and private properties in Carpentersville to offer more fiber that will provide quicker Internet service, clearer phone service, and "provide video over telephone lines to compete with cable and satellite," said Marc Blakeman, AT&T's regional vice president for external affairs.

"Because of the technology we use and the fact that we're using fiber to send it to them, it's going to be a clearer picture," Blakeman said.

The company had a difficult time rolling out the project last year, because it had to enter into franchise agreements with each municipality.

"Going town by town was very cumbersome and a long, drawn-out process that was slowing our ability to get into the market," Blakeman said.

The law signed June 30 is a franchise agreement with the entire state, and the company now only has to receive building permits from towns, Blakeman said.

Once building permits are issued to AT&T, the company will begin installing the green or tan boxes that each hold about $200,000 worth of equipment. There already are 44 boxes for the current service.

AT&T will submit its application for a license to the Illinois Commerce Commission this month, Blakeman said. Although equipment installation already is going on in area towns -- including Algonquin, Lake in the Hills and South Elgin -- the service can't be turned on until the ICC approves it.

The service, already offered in cities in Indiana and Wisconsin, should be running in a matter of "months, not years."

AT&T filed a federal lawsuit in April 2006 against the village because officials didn't issue building permits, Blakeman said. The company argued that AT&T wasn't trying to provide "cable service," but rather video through phone lines, Blakeman said.

The lawsuit still is pending, but Village Manager Craig Anderson said he hopes to resolve the matter out of court in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/c...LE_S1.article#
post #746 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHorn View Post

Your conclusions above match mine.

I went from Comcast to uverse in march of this year. The reason I left Comcast was over price gouging. My "triple play $99 special" went up from $130 to $160 after the one year deal was over. Yes that right, my $99 service cost $130 because of taxes, misc fees and a cable box rental fee.

In addition:

About the HiSpeed
The 6 Mbps download speed clocks in at about 5.5 Mbps, sounds good. BUT when I download from my news server (same one I used with my cable hi speed at 3 Mbps) it can only reach half of the download speed (~500kbs) of what my cable hi speed did(~1mbs). Also in general I am faster than the server sending me any file. I am going to dump the elite and save some $.

About the HD
Only having one HD feed is an unexpected problem. If I am recording a hd feed I can only watch SD material as the second feed. I did not think this would be a problem but it drives me nuts.

For awhile I had both Comcast and uverse. HD is much better on cable. And forget about watching sports in SD. Even on my bedroom 23"crt the motion artifacts make the picture unwatchable.

About the Future of Uverse
If the predicted upgrades happen in the next year or two uverse will live.
If not uverse will fade away.

WHat are you saying here? that even though i have 3 HDTV's i can only watch HD on one of them or even just one at a time? ATT is scheduled to arrive on Friday but this is not good news you're saying if i understand correctly?

wendek..
post #747 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

WHat are you saying here? that even though i have 3 HDTV's i can only watch HD on one of them or even just one at a time? ATT is scheduled to arrive on Friday but this is not good news you're saying if i understand correctly?

wendek..

You should have done your research. It is true that Uverse can only deliver one HD channel to your home at a time. No recording two different HD shows at one time. No watching one HD show while recording another HD show. No watching two different HD shows at the same time on different HDTV's. So if your wife is watching the Food Network in HD on Monday night, you won't be watching MNF in HD. They don't expect to be able to increase to two HD streams for another year.
post #748 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

You should have done your research. It is true that Uverse can only deliver one HD channel to your home at a time. No recording two different HD shows at one time. No watching one HD show while recording another HD show. No watching two different HD shows at the same time on different HDTV's. So if your wife is watching the Food Network in HD on Monday night, you won't be watching MNF in HD. They don't expect to be able to increase to two HD streams for another year.

thanks. i'm doing the research now and can surely tell the techguy to not come over on Friday. some sales guy in the neighbor came to my house and "sold" it to me for a free 30 day trial. Sounds like i either get comcast boxes or make the jump to directv then. I'd prefer to wait till directv can split their signal though.

So, is the HD Feed dynamic or do i only get to watch HD channels on one tv in the whole house?

thanks.
post #749 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
cwh

You can currently only get 1 HD stream at a time and it can go to any of your TVs. You can watch that same HD stream on all your TVs, but I doubt that helps much.
post #750 of 4220 Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post

You can currently only get 1 HD stream at a time and it can go to any of your TVs. You can watch that same HD stream on all your TVs, but I doubt that helps much.

I guess that would be helpful if i didn't want to miss a second of the game and put one in the bathroom, and the kitchen, and the office. (who doesn't want a tv in the bathroom anyway?) or i guess i could watch tv like i would at Best Buy or something with them all lined up.
this is helpful to know. thanks.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page