post #1561 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

first of all there are alot of other great football shows on the channel such as nfl replay shows (for games i missed), nfl gameday highlight shows, and the americas game super bowl winners series (which should win an emmy award)....so when u say all they show is 8 games u are either ignorant or stupid or imo both.

No, they're not ignorant or stupid, they just don't see the value of all that rehash.

The issue is, if you do, should you be footing the bill, or should everyone.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 PM

OK guys, here's the deal. As far as I'm concerned, the NFL and TWC can go jump off a cliff. However the upcoming Patriots/Giants game is historic. They should open this one game up for the sake of the fans. Then they will have 10 months to go back to beating each other up.
post #1563 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If it is it's at least the third historic game this year. (Pro)
App. state/Michigan - now that was historic.
post #1564 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

If it is it's at least the third historic game this year. (Pro)
App. state/Michigan - now that was historic.

The Pats rule, and it will be a historic game, as will the Superbowl. I grew up in the northeast, and just moved to the Atlanta area. As Gary's comment shows and I've observed, it appears that folks in the south are much more interested in college sports than pro.

I find that strangely interesting, having come from a region where pro sports are everything and people live and breath the Red Sox and Patriots, and no one cares about college sports, at all.
post #1565 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

The Pats rule, and it will be a historic game, as will the Superbowl. I grew up in the northeast, and just moved to the Atlanta area. As Gary's comment shows and I've observed, it appears that folks in the south are much more interested in college sports than pro.

I find that strangely interesting, having come from a region where pro sports are everything and people live and breath the Red Sox and Patriots, and no one cares about college sports, at all.

because north eastern college football teams have always generally been lousy.

post #1566 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Oh, I see. We have a fanboy on our hands. BTW, I spent my first 52 years in Baltimore. The '58 Colts with 7 Hall of Fame players (I said HOF, not All Pro) would have kicked the Pats butts.
post #1567 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Oh, I see. We have a fanboy on our hands. BTW, I spent my first 52 years in Baltimore. The '58 Colts with 7 Hall of Fame players (I said HOF, not All Pro) would have kicked the Pats butts.

unlikely... but then again, most of those guys are in their 80's now...

but seriously, it's still unlikely... the size and speed (not to mention the more complex offenses and defenses of teams) of today's players make such a comparison very difficult... football isn't like baseball, where a reasonable comparison between eras can be made...

however, taken in the context of their time (and not considering this year's pats team until after the season), i've always believed the best team i've ever seen play was the steelers team that won their 3rd and 4th super bowls, and the best team i never saw play was the 58 colts (don't forget their hof coach, either )...

on topic: it's not killing me to pay the buck 99 a month to get nfln. if i COULDN'T get it (even by paying extra), then i'd be upset.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1568 of 1586 Old 12-25-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...th_Cowboys.asp

Also: "The game drew the ninth-largest audience of the year on cable, but perhaps most impressive was the game's cable coverage rating, the best on cable in more than 14 years. "

Pretty amazing considering the Network is only available to 40% of possible viewers and much of that in Digital and Sports Tiers/Packages.

Yes, and this is why the NFL is sticking to it's guns. It knows what it has.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #1569 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...th_Cowboys.asp

Also: "The game drew the ninth-largest audience of the year on cable, but perhaps most impressive was the game's cable coverage rating, the best on cable in more than 14 years. "

Pretty amazing considering the Network is only available to 40% of possible viewers and much of that in Digital and Sports Tiers/Packages.

The article also states that more people watched the pathetic Dolphins/Steelers game that week on MNF than watched the Packers/Cowboys on NFLN.

Top sporting event (total viewers): ESPN's Dolphins/Steelers (Monday 8:30 p.m.) 13.1 million

I would like for the NFLN to be available on a tier so that I could subscribe to it during football season. Next thing you know DirecTV will make you pay for NFLN as part of a bundle with Sunday Ticket and raise the price another couple of hundred dollars.
post #1570 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm disappointed I won't be able to see this classic matchup on TV but I don't want TWC to give into the NFL's unreasonable demands. The NFL long ago ruined the Sunday games with their backwards rules regarding how many games can be shown, what games can be shown and how long they can be shown before switching to another game.
post #1571 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_Dude View Post

The article also states that more people watched the pathetic Dolphins/Steelers game that week on MNF than watched the Packers/Cowboys on NFLN.

Top sporting event (total viewers): ESPN's Dolphins/Steelers (Monday 8:30 p.m.) 13.1 million

I would like for the NFLN to be available on a tier so that I could subscribe to it during football season. Next thing you know DirecTV will make you pay for NFLN as part of a bundle with Sunday Ticket and raise the price another couple of hundred dollars.

but total viewers for packers/cowboys on nfln was 18.1 million.

post #1572 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 421
NFL Network: Live-Game Ratings Skyrocketing vs. Last Season

NFL Network said Wednesday that after seven Thursday and Saturday-night National Football League games this season, its coverage-area ratings were up 31% compared to the same time frame last season.

The NFL's cable network said its games are averaging a 7.1 coverage-area rating versus a 5.4 after seven games last year.

The network added that the games rose 48% in average viewers (to 4.6 million from 3.1 million through seven games last year) and 55% among men 18-49 (1.7 million vs. 1.1 million).

NFL Network's final live NFL game this year will be Saturday night's matchup, in which the undefeated New England Patriots will look to complete a perfect regular season in their visit to the New York Giants.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...?desc=topstory
post #1573 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When does Bowl Season start?

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #1574 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

it already started 6 days ago when utah beat navy in the poinsettia bowl.

post #1575 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Yes, and this is why the NFL is sticking to it's guns. It knows what it has.

And the cable companies know what NFLN has, too, which is why they're sticking to their guns.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #1576 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

NFL Network: Live-Game Ratings Skyrocketing vs. Last Season

NFL Network said Wednesday that after seven Thursday and Saturday-night National Football League games this season, its coverage-area ratings were up 31% compared to the same time frame last season.

The NFL's cable network said its games are averaging a 7.1 coverage-area rating versus a 5.4 after seven games last year.

The network added that the games rose 48% in average viewers (to 4.6 million from 3.1 million through seven games last year) and 55% among men 18-49 (1.7 million vs. 1.1 million).

NFL Network's final live NFL game this year will be Saturday night's matchup, in which the undefeated New England Patriots will look to complete a perfect regular season in their visit to the New York Giants.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...?desc=topstory

I find that strange since Comcast was offering it on their basic package last year but only on the sports tier this year yet it rose over 48% in viewership. Something just does not add up here!
post #1577 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
They signed virtually all of the smaller cablecos. There's only a few holdouts - the same ones that are pimping their own programming far worse than what the NFL is doing.
post #1578 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
according to espn (breaking news, apparently, i'm watching otl-first report), nfln is going to simulcast the game nationally via cbs and nbc...

1) why both?

2) that kinda annoys me, since i'm paying to get the game. oh well.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1579 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Just heard this as well. If doesn't say Cable Companies have all the leverage I don't know what does.

The NFL looks bad with this whole fiasco and I think this is damage control. I love every minute of it. The reason for simulcast coverage is to be fair to the networks the NFL probably had to offer it to everyone with a NFL TV deal. If not then they would have shown favoritism and would have made matters worse.
post #1580 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

according to espn (breaking news, apparently, i'm watching otl-first report), nfln is going to simulcast the game nationally via cbs and nbc...

1) why both?

Why both? Have you seen the programming on these two networks on Saturday night? It's usually repeats of shows broadcast during the week. Fox has first-run original programming (Cops and America's Most Wanted) on Saturday nights, so it doesn't make sense for them to participate.

Annoying, maybe, but the NFL would have had to agree to this in order for both networks to carry the game (which has not happened since Super Bowl I, when both networks had annoucing teams broadcast the game) and would hope for the most-watched game this season. I am guessing that the NFL Network crew will be providing the play-by-play, but each network may have their own studio shows do the halftime - although I don't know this for sure.

The big question is: Which network will you watch?

Myself, I like the interplay between Rich Eisen, Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders and Steve Mariucci, so I'll probably watch the NFL Network HD feed. But, since I have Sirius, I'll listed to the Patriots' radio broadcast instead of Gumbel and Collinsworth (because they are SO annoying).
post #1581 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Stick a fork in the NFL Network. The cable companies just won the war.
post #1582 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2s2 View Post

The big question is: Which network will you watch?

From what I read, CBS and NBC will simply retransmit the NFLN broadcast with Gumbel and Collinsworth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
post #1583 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

1) why both?

With the writers on strike, a night of relatively free simulcast coverage saves another night of filler programming for a later date. If the strike goes on much longer I bet you will see more sports programming moved to primetime to fill hours. How many "best of Saturday Night Live" primetime shows can NBC put on? It also would have been a CBS game if not on NFLN.

This was the last real chip the NFL Network had in the war with cable, unless by doing this they got some signal from Kerry that Congress would help them if they played nice with the public. Of course, they could just sell the games to a normal cable outlet and be done with it.
post #1584 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From TV Week

Quote:

NFL to Air Patriots Game on CBS, NBC
By Jon Lafayette and Chris Pursell

The NFL, under pressure because many cable subscribers were not going to be able to see the potentially historic New England Patriots game on Saturday, has arranged for CBS and NBC to simulcast the game. The game originally was going to air nationally exclusively on the NFL Network.

The Patriots, with a 15-0 record, will be trying to become the first team to go undefeated since the league’s schedule was expanded to 16 games. They are playing against the New York Giants.

“We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. “What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever.”

CBS and NBC will carry the NFL Network feed of the game with Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth in the broadcast booth. The game also will be televised by WCVB-ABC (Channel 5) in Boston, WMUR-ABC in Manchester, New Hampshire (Channel 9) and WWOR (Channel 9) in New York. The telecast begins at 8 p.m. ET with kickoff set at 8:15 p.m. ET.

In recent weeks, the Patriots have delivered the two biggest ratings of the year (a 20.1 in Week 9 and week 14's 18.4), the biggest NBC Saturday Night Football rating ever (13.4 in Week 12), and the biggest NFL cable rating ever (11.1 in Week 13).

With multiple cable systems still at odds with the NFL Network over carriage fees, the shift will allow fans throughout the country access to the game.

Only a fraction of subscribers of Comcast, which covers much of the New England area, and Time Warner Cable, would have been able to see the game on NFL Network. Comcast carries NFL Network on a special sports tier and Time Warner Cable has no carriage agreement with NFL Network.

Politicians, including Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, have been urging the cable operators and the league to come to an agreement so that more fans can see the game.

“NFL Network is a programming service of great interest to fans and should be broadly distributed by the cable industry,” said NFL Network President and CEO Steve Bornstein.

The game marks the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967 when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

post #1585 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

From what I read, CBS and NBC will simply retransmit the NFLN broadcast with Gumbel and Collinsworth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Gumbel and Collinsworth screwing up the calls on three separate HD network feeds? Thanks a lot NFL!

Seriously though, glad to know there are human beings running the NFL. How else to explain the fact that they BLINKED?
post #1586 of 1586 Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Please take discussion of Saturday Night's game here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=961339

This topic will re-open at a later date.

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page