Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy in HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
King World will distribute their two game show powerhouses, WHEEL OF FORTUNE and JEOPARDY in 1080i beginning September 11, 2006. Your mileage may vary, as the local station must be equipped with the ability to record the feed off of the satellite and replay it in HD locally. The vast majority of HD stations can only pass through HD programming as it is fed over the network. And if your local station is a 720p broadcaster, they must be able to convert the 1080i signal to 720p as well.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well since the local station in orlando started doing HD News, I hope that means they can show it
post #3 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The Final Jeopardy question is whether there will be any stations in the entire USA who will be presenting these two syndicated shows in HD on September 11? Any one heard of a station that is planning to or is buying the equipment neccesary to present syndicated programing in HD this fall? It would be a little ironic if the first station or stations to show Jeopardy in HD were small market stations located in the Mountain time zone because they already had the gear needed to time shift the network HD feed.
post #4 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM

I have faith in WFTV in Orlando to replay these shows in HD. I watch these shows almost every night and greatly look forward to seeing the big wheel in HD!

Ricky Brigante
Inside the Magic podcast, Host
Custom Lanyards by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #5 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The Final Jeopardy question is whether there will be any stations in the entire USA who will be presenting these two syndicated shows in HD on September 11? .

Yes.. We will: WOLO-DT ABC Columbia SC pending delivery of the equipment currently on order expected to be delivered next week.

I understand WCNC-DT here in Charlotte will carry it as well. All in All, there are approximately 20 stations who are on the list I have that have expressed interest in carrying the shows in HD.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #6 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

details about the HD makeover

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10524
post #7 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

That article states that 49 stations have made the upgrade!

The question is: which ones?
post #8 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would hope that Dallas will get these in HD.
post #9 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
[quote=SJKurtzke]That article states that 49 stations have made the upgrade![quote]

The list I have comes direct from the syndicator, those call letters aren't on there, but you won't know for sure until you contact them directly.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano View Post

Wonder if Vanna will get a makeover for HD?
post #11 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

That article states that 49 stations have made the upgrade!

The question is: which ones?

I'm sorry, but you appear to be using overly optimistic reading comprehension rather than critical reading comprehension.

"About 49 of the 210 stations carrying the programs have made the upgrade to HD, Mr. Friedman said. But that figure is growing rapidly, partly in preparation for the switch. As recently as couple of months ago only 20 markets had made the leap."

Nothing in that statement indicates that these stations have any ability to carry syndicated programming in HD. It just means that 49 of their affialiates have upgraded to HD.
post #12 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Good point (as usual) George.

Just because a station can transmit HD doesn't necessarily mean it can downlink/record/replay HD programming from a source other than its network or own studios.
post #13 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Can you tell folks here how to subscribe to the TV Week HDTV newsletter, James?

I find it invaluable and can't wait to get it each week (and thenspread the news around the forum, of course).

But a lot of people here would probably love to get it in their own email box.

Thanks.
post #14 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Can you tell folks here how to subscribe to the TV Week HDTV newsletter, James?

I find it invaluable and can't wait to get it each week (and thenspread the news around the forum, of course).

But a lot of people here would probably love to get it in their own email box.

Thanks.

sure. we're only 4 weeks in and have been trying to iron out things in terms of getting a real subscriber form on our site, cleaner design and an HD table of contents page on the Web site.

but until then, just send an email to nworrell@tvweek.com with the subject line "HD Newsletter subscribe."

Add your name, company (if relevant) and email address. it's free and comes out every thursday. thanks for reading
post #15 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Old news, discussed here since last January.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626672

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #16 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:23 PM

A little too late...

Ken Jennings would have looked spectacular answering every question in HD. Now all I can do is wonder if we would have had Jeopardy in HD way back then, how much more special it would have been...................
post #17 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626672

I find it's tough on most beats to find something that's never been mentioned before anywhere. this is especially true with HD, considering how knowledgeable and passionate people are on AVS.

But I like to think there's value to getting something confirmed, finding out the details and getting quotes about it. And just because something's been mentioned before somewhere doesn't mean most people know about it. It's a judgment call you make often in reporting: how widely distributed does news need to be before it's no longer news?

Finding exclusives each week on the topic of HD is a very high bar, but I'll at least try to keep things interesting
post #18 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Finding exclusives each week on the topic of HD is a very high bar, but I'll at least try to keep things interesting

Thanks for participating at AVS. I personally appreciate your updates, especially the HD version.

post #19 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

So if my local affiliate (ABC) is a 720P station then will it be highly unlikely to pick these shows up? Like another poster said, my wife and I watch these show every night and enjoy them. Not sure how hard it would be for a station to convert HD signals back & forth, etc.
post #20 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

So if my local affiliate (ABC) is a 720P station then will it be highly unlikely to pick these shows up? Like another poster said, my wife and I watch these show every night and enjoy them. Not sure how hard it would be for a station to convert HD signals back & forth, etc.

ABC-7 in Chicago is the affiliate the those two shows are on, lets hope that they do broadcast in HD, even if its downcompressed to 720p. More HD is great.

True HD shouldn't be an option, but a way of life.
post #21 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

So if my local affiliate (ABC) is a 720P station then will it be highly unlikely to pick these shows up?

No, it won't matter.

post #22 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

May be old news, but now there is a specific start date and some indication that there may be a number of stations that may actually be broadcasting these 2 shows in HD. The TV Week article is not all that clear, but I have to assume that a lot more than 49 out of the 210 stations carrying Jep and WOF are already HD channels. So there may be somewhere in the ballpark of 20 to 49 stations which are working towards or may even be ready to show these two shows in HD in September.

If there are even 20 stations showing these 2 programs in HD this September that would be a major event in the move to HD. Once syndicated shows start showing up in HD, that will eventually significantly expand the number of hours of HD programming for the major network stations. It would be nice to flip on a local station and expect to see late night or off-hours repeats of CSI or recent network shows in HD.
post #23 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

May be old news, but now there is a specific start date and some indication that there may be a number of stations that may actually be broadcasting these 2 shows in HD.

Agreed.

post #24 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

It is great to see one of the TV trade journals take such a very active interest in HD.

I am sure TV Week's venture will be copied by others, sooner or later.

But let's remember that we all live it and breathe it and James -- and TV Week -- is writing for an audience that, sadly, to a great extent still thinks HD is a bit exotic.

So let's try to be supportive and not overly critical, always keeping in mind that his audience just doesn't (yet) care as deeply about the subject as we do, and needs to be educated as to why it should share our interest.
post #25 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There is a strong possibility we will get it in Boston.

However,for the station that will be carrying it,that will turin out to be tyhe ONLY HD programming. (no more UPN, and they thre away a shot at My Network TV and all the Sox games are ONLY on NESN-HD.)
post #26 of 409 Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Yes.. We will: WOLO-DT ABC Columbia SC [...]

I understand WCNC-DT here in Charlotte will carry it as well.

Yowza! Many thanks to your employers. Of course, I probably don't count anyway, as far as they're concerned, because I'm outside the Columbia DMA, even if only by about ten miles.

I sometimes have problems with WOLO because of local impulse noise, and with WCNC because of distance and tropospheric conditions, but I should be able to get one or the other most nights. And I can fall back on WLOS in Asheville which gives me reliable reception and an excellent SD rendition of those shows.
post #27 of 409 Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowchip View Post

A little too late...

Ken Jennings would have looked spectacular answering every question in HD. Now all I can do is wonder if we would have had Jeopardy in HD way back then, how much more special it would have been...................

I stopped watching the show halfway through his second week until he was gone.

I like to play along, and it wasn't any fun anymore. It wasn't even fun just watching him, because the games weren't even close and he was answering nearly every question (snot-nosed, snickering, know-it-all putz that he was).

They should have made an exception to the rules and never let him play after two weeks. There was no good reason for people like me who like to try to answer the questions to even watch during his run. It went on MUCH too long.

I just hope to God they've taken some kind of steps to assure that nothing like that ever happens again.
post #28 of 409 Old 08-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I stopped watching the show halfway through his second week until he was gone.

I like to play along, and it wasn't any fun anymore. It wasn't even fun just watching him, because the games weren't even close and he was answering nearly every question (snot-nosed, snickering, know-it-all putz that he was).

They should have made an exception to the rules and never let him play after two weeks. There was no good reason for people like me who like to try to answer the questions to even watch during his run. It went on MUCH too long.

I just hope to God they've taken some kind of steps to assure that nothing like that ever happens again.

You mean a contestant on a game show actually answered the questions instead of pretending to not know so you could do it? How rude!
post #29 of 409 Old 08-11-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The real point is what's the benefit of showing gameshows in HD? To me, there will be no more information in a higher resolution to make them worth the extra expense. Let's all holla when SCI-FI HD or National Geographic HD becomes commonplace.

Wolfie
post #30 of 409 Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

The real point is what's the benefit of showing gameshows in HD? To me, there will be no more information in a higher resolution to make them worth the extra expense. Let's all holla when SCI-FI HD or National Geographic HD becomes commonplace.

Wolfie

Well, to start off, both games involve being able to read words on the screen to participate. HD should make the letters crisper and easier to read on your TV.

Second, on Wheel, there is often a lot of dead space above and below the puzzle board when the show it. With 16x9, theres the potential of framing it better, of perhaps even expanding the board for longer puzzles.

Shots of the players as a group would work better in 16x9, rather than needing so much vertical dead space. The oppurtunities for splitscreens would be increased, as well.

Finally, in the case of Wheel, the product shots would look nicer, especially since there is usually a car or two in there.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page