post #451 of 5563 Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Speaking of Julianna, someone needs to tell her that the styling of that wig was terrible for her face shape. She looked like she gained 20lbs of weight all in her face with that hair style.

I thought she looked great. But then again she could have a BELLO wig on and I would think that too.

I don't think Ali has anything to worry about. She's still right there in (my) the top four with Ian, Ono and Joey. I hate to say it but I thought Joey was the best last night. He has better foot movement than his partner.

I'd be real surprised if Clyde survives tonight's cut.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5563 Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Speaking of Julianna, someone needs to tell her that the styling of that wig was terrible for her face shape. She looked like she gained 20lbs of weight all in her face with that hair style.

I don't think the styling of the wig was built around her face shape - LOL - they were undoubtedly more concerned about the Pulp Fiction theme. You didn't like the way she looked?

How'd you like their dance? I thought it had the highest degree of difficulty of the night when Apolo rotated her through his legs.
post #453 of 5563 Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

...I'd be real surprised if Clyde survives tonight's cut.

I agree. I was a huge fan of his when he played basketball, but even I am having a hard time giving him any votes.
post #454 of 5563 Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

I thought she looked great. But then again she could have a BELLO wig on and I would think that too.

By the way, if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about... http://www.bellonock.com/ They (the circus) happen to be in town right now.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #455 of 5563 Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

She's definately one of the best of this group.

Unfortunately, Max might have gotten her kicked off tonight by breaking the hold in the middle of the tango. After the judges beat up Mario & Katrina last season, I knew Max & Laila were going to really get thumped. I'm surprized that Max didn't remember that incident and make sure to maintain the hold. Kym sure made a point of not breaking the hold with Joey.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out if Laila has a fan base tonight because she's going to need a decent size fan base to stay ahead of John, Billy Ray and Clyde.

And speaking of rules violations, did they drop the "no lifts" rule this season? I've seen a couple of lifts (e.g. Apolo lifted Julianna last night) and the judges didn't make a peep.

I hope you are wrong about Laila. I think she is the surprise of the season. I'm amazed how light she is on her feet given her size. But considering her boxer training, that must help.

I also think Julianna's wig made her look pudgy. She is such a cutie and whoever picked out that wig for her should be fired.
post #456 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Juliana could put on 20 *real* pounds and she wouldn't look pudgy...

Some real beauty's on this show, no doubt. Cheryl's still my favorite, but Kym, Julianna, Edyta, and Clyde's partner are all right up there. Billy Ray's partner has an amazing body but I just can't ignore her gargoyle face.
post #457 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Shandi got the boot last night. I think a lot of people hoped she might be the second coming of Staci Kiebler, but it was obvious she came up lacking dance-wise. When Clyde Drexler escaped the bottom two (Shandi and Leeza), Shandi pretty much knew it was over.

Anyone watch Lingo on GSN on Monday? They had a crawl squeezed in there asking people to vote for Shandi on DWTS. They won't be needing that anymore.
post #458 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Shandi got the boot last night. I think a lot of people hoped she might be the second coming of Staci Kiebler, but it was obvious she came up lacking dance-wise.

Alas, no more Shandi. One less notch on the eye-candy scale. The show's producers really should have figured out a way to allow her to stay awhile. The Glide's a joke.

There's only one Stacy Kiebler, though. Wonder how her movie career is going after the boost from this show?
post #459 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

She looked great, but definitely didn't have the dancing moves. I found her personality a little annoying too.
post #460 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Alas, no more Shandi. One less notch on the eye-candy scale. The show's producers really should have figured out a way to allow her to stay awhile. The Glide's a joke.

It is a shame that Shandi didn't make the cut. I think her dancing would have improved and she would have picked up more support. She appeared a bit overbearing and not very likeable in the first week's shows. At least that's the footage that was presented to us. Her partner also seemed a little flakey. This week however she showed a humble side and finally figured out how to work the audience in a nicer way, too late to get enough votes though.

Clod the Grind, I mean Clyde the Glide is definitely on borrowed time. I like him but he's got to go.... Leeza bores me... and I've already expressed too many times my opinion of the ex Mrs. McCartney.

I would love to see as a musical guest Kanye West performing that little ditty of his. That would bring the house down. Anything would be better than the musical performers so far.

Larry

I thought we were

post #461 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Heather Mills is one homely woman.

Maybe she just hasn't aged well...
post #462 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Speaking of Clyde, anybody notice that while his partner was close to shaking her dress off (that would have been cool!), Clyde looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Please tell me that at one point...while he had his left arm raised, was he looking at his watch???

Also his partner (her name escapes me) and Cheryl Burke won the fringe contest (as in "who had the best" and "who looked the best in")
post #463 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post

I don't think the styling of the wig was built around her face shape - LOL - they were undoubtedly more concerned about the Pulp Fiction theme. You didn't like the way she looked?

She looked great in the long shots, but the face shots were not flattering to say the least. I wonder if it would have looked better with a dark black wig? After all Uma's hair was black not blonde in Pulp Fiction (and IMO that was the sexiest Uma has ever looked and that's saying a lot since she always looks fairly sexy).

Quote:

How'd you like their dance? I thought it had the highest degree of difficulty of the night when Apolo rotated her through his legs.

I liked their dance and thought that Len was a little hard on them for the intro. The intro was a little long but I think it was neccessary to set up the theme.

That rotating her through his legs move was the move I was thinking about when I mentioned the illegal lifts. If they're still banning lifts, then they should have gotten dinged by the judges for that move.
post #464 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's only one Stacy Kiebler, though. Wonder how her movie career is going after the boost from this show?

I agree with all the above.

I was really disappointed in the judges this week. Shandi finally found some rhythm and leg action and she gets three points less then Heather who hardly moved her feet and when she did, she was kicking from the hip not the knee and didn't bother to point her toes on her real foot.

Well, at least Laila had enough fan support to save her from the middle of the pack score the judges gave her. I'm still not sure if she has enough fans to win it, but last night was a big positive for her.
post #465 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Will we see her dad in the audience?

post #466 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Will we see her dad in the audience?

If you're talking about the former Cassius Clay, I'm sure the show's producers would move Heaven and Earth to get him into the audience. He's still the world's most recognizable figure, I've heard.
post #467 of 5563 Old 04-04-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loved Stacy. I could watch that samba on a loop for the rest of my life.
post #468 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Nicely put.
post #469 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Yeah, throw me in there too. She was so totally robbed that season (Jerry Rice finishing ahead of her? Really? ).
post #470 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

.... You didn't like the way [Julianna] looked?

BTW. I thought Julianna looked great Tuesday night in that dance with Tony. At least she looked great for the little bit we actually saw of her.

I noticed a bunch of framing and/or bad camera angle choices in that dance and in a couple of dances Monday night (esp. during Ian's dance). I wonder if DWTS has some new cameramen or a new director who doesn't have a lot of experience doing live shows.
post #471 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed a bunch of framing and/or bad camera angle choices in that dance and in a couple of dances Monday night (esp. during Ian's dance). I wonder if DWTS has some new cameramen or a new director who doesn't have a lot of experience doing live shows.

I'm glad you mentioned that. During one of the dances, we got a view of what looked like the cameraman was running up the stairs...
post #472 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely more technical flubs this year than previous seasons but that's what you get with live TV. I'm ok with a few mishaps. It's almost expected when it's live and in HD. I'll take that any day over pre-recorded.

The screw ups that are the most annoying though are the ones at the end when they're announcing who is staying and who's leaving. Those miss cues are a real killer.

Larry

I thought we were

post #473 of 5563 Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 PM

I've never participated in these threads before but since I recently got a brand-new TV and have been enjoying all the HD programs, I think I'll join in now, if you'll have me, that is.

It's funny reading back through this thread. Most of my guy friends wouldn't be caught within thirty feet of a TV showing Dancing with the Stars lol so it's refreshing to see so many guys enjoying the show. But you're not alone in watching it mainly for the girls Although Anton is a cutie and I love watching him move, too. And John has a dignified grace to him and is handsome with that well-cut goatee.

Heather is somewhat hideous, though... I know, that's cruel, and she's awesome for being so gutsy and dancing so well considering the prosthetic, but still. If high-def emphasizes the natural beauty of some people, it also really shows how unattractive others are.

I find Clyde to be a decent dancer but I always giggle when I watch him because he looks kinda funny. I think the judges are right when they say that he dances too small for his height and should extend himself. He looks like a giant trying to tiptoe through the tulips. lol

Laila's got her dad's smooth moves but I think her masculinity works against her when she's out on the floor. I don't find her to be sexy or eye-catching. But then I'm a girl who thinks girls should be feminine and look feminine. I just don't like the overly-muscled look on women.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts. I'll post more as the show goes on.
post #474 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post

Heather is somewhat hideous, though... I know, that's cruel, and she's awesome for being so gutsy and dancing so well considering the prosthetic, but still. If high-def emphasizes the natural beauty of some people, it also really shows how unattractive others are.

Thank you, yes she is really hideous.

Those close-up freeze-frames on her face are just almost unbearable. Those hard lines in her face, those chiclet teeth...all very "British." Quite a homely woman considering the fact she was once a Beatle wife.
post #475 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Thank you, yes she is really hideous.

Those close-up freeze-frames on her face are just almost unbearable. Those hard lines in her face, those chiclet teeth...all very "British." Quite a homely woman considering the fact she was once a Beatle wife.

Oh, and Yoko Ono was such a babe??

Why so hard on Heather? She's not that bad, for Heaven's sake, and she was a model before her accident after all. She's always had a pretty nice body, too. Anyway, it's likely Sir Paul was initially attracted to her because of her charity work. Her heart's in the right place, and it seems the Beatles always were able to look beyond the superficial when choosing their mates. Commendable, in my book.

And her dancing, under the circumstances, is borderline incredible. I'm rooting for her.
post #476 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, and Yoko Ono was such a babe??

Why so hard on Heather? She's not that bad, for Heaven's sake, and she was a model before her accident after all. She's always had a pretty nice body, too. Anyway, it's likely Sir Paul was initially attracted to her because of her charity work. Her heart's in the right place, and it seems the Beatles always were able to look beyond the superficial when choosing their mates. Commendable, in my book.

And her dancing, under the circumstances, is borderline incredible. I'm rooting for her.

Her dancing is commendable, I agree...but I can't lie as to her appearance. She is just hideous to me. Those closeups are agonizing. But then, you and I don't often agree on women's appearances.

Oh, and good point about Yoko.
post #477 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:

If you have access to the credits still - the main DWTS director in previous seasons (and also the launch director of the BBC version Strictly Come Dancing - he didn't do the last BBC season as it overlapped with DWTS) is Alex Rudzinski.

If there was a different director credit - then there may have been a change in staffing - though the press release announcing the current season credited him as returning director.
post #478 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

If you have access to the credits still - the main DWTS director in previous seasons (and also the launch director of the BBC version Strictly Come Dancing - he didn't do the last BBC season as it overlapped with DWTS) is Alex Rudzinski.

If there was a different director credit - then there may have been a change in staffing - though the press release announcing the current season credited him as returning director.

I haven't erased any of this season yet, so I'll check the credits tonight when I get home.
post #479 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:

I haven't erased any of this season yet, so I'll check the credits tonight when I get home.

Of course - even if it is Alex - it could be that a camera died mid-show (so other cameras were having to pick up more shots), or there were other issues that disrupted a normally well organised production...
post #480 of 5563 Old 04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never participated in these threads before but since I recently got a brand-new TV and have been enjoying all the HD programs, I think I'll join in now, if you'll have me, that is.

Welcome to the thread. DWTS is definately a nice piece of eye candy on an HDTV.

Quote:

It's funny reading back through this thread. Most of my guy friends wouldn't be caught within thirty feet of a TV showing Dancing with the Stars lol so it's refreshing to see so many guys enjoying the show.

Well, I certainly don't talk about DWTS at work.
But my female friends would never be caught on an AV equipment forum either.

Quote:

Laila's got her dad's smooth moves but I think her masculinity works against her when she's out on the floor. I don't find her to be sexy or eye-catching. But then I'm a girl who thinks girls should be feminine and look feminine. I just don't like the overly-muscled look on women.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts. I'll post more as the show goes on.

When I saw the first publicity photo that DWTS put out for Laila, I thought "That is one homely woman". Whoever picked that photo sure didn't do Laila any favors. I think she actually has above average looks when she's made up. But that body is really intimidating. Even Max, who has a great body, was trying to bulk up to match her size. Although she's really big, she's still nicely proportional. So I bet she'd actually look fairly normal if they had her dance with someone as big as Clyde.

Oh, and speaking of Clyde, if he has to dance the waltz instead of the paso this week he'll really be in trouble. He's just way to tall to have a proper hold with his partner. So he'll be all bent over, with his elbows down and not get any body contact again.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page