Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4861 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Member
 
BlueTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Wow, the lamest cast ever. A couple washed up has beens and a bunch of nobody's.

That's what Dancing with the Stars is all about!
BlueTiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4862 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTiger View Post

That's what Dancing with the Stars is all about!

At this point the pro dancers are more stars than the contestants. Which reminds me I miss Edyta. I found it refreshing not to have the well known lousy dancer this year. All and all a pretty strong start and enough variation to find someone to cheer on.
Charles R is offline  
post #4863 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I hate to say it, but Chelsea and Cheryl looked that they enjoyed the off-season a bit too much.
hooked01 is online now  
post #4864 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grittree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For a cast that could barely be called "stars", I was pleasantly surprised. We had the token lesbian (should go home), the token black athlete (surprisingly good, but not to the judges), and a bunch of other D-listers.

I best liked Driver and Jaleel (who?). Sheri was "light" for a heavy gal; Gladys wasn't.

Looking at the cast, I expected terrible ratings. It might not be that bad.
grittree is offline  
post #4865 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gameboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Did anyone have problems with the sound mix? I am watching right now in Seattle (Comcast) and all of the sound is coming from the center channel.

WTF?
gameboy is offline  
post #4866 of 5626 Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rory Boyce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Fair Oaks, CA
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in California also in the western time zone watching OTA and while most of the audio here is in the center there is some audio in the other channels as well. I did hear a commercial go by that had the dialog only in the center but the music content and no dialog in the L & R fronts.

Rory
Rory Boyce is online now  
post #4867 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Either the judges were very generous in their initial scoring (nobody got below a 20) or the dancers were better than planned.

I think either Melissa Gilbert or Martina Navratilova will be the first to go next week.

Surprise performer: Jaleel White (Urkel) who looked a lot more polished than anybody might have thought. He and the opera singer were tied for first place (with 26 points - 9s awarded in the first round? ) after the first round of judges' scoring.

FYI, if you didn't watch Kimmel, he's picked Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver to be this season's winner. Got to better than David Arquette (who he picked last season but finished 6th overall - worst placing by a Kimmel pick ever).
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4868 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I hate to say it, but Chelsea and Cheryl looked that they enjoyed the off-season a bit too much.

Chelsea looked the same to me but Cheryl definitely packed on some pounds...she's sexy to me regardless but her face and body are bigger this season
TitusTroy is offline  
post #4869 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
bswiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Was I the only one annoyed by all the Twitter comments being plastered on the screen? If this is something they're going to do every week, it might be enough to make me skip the show. I don't care if xman4123 thinks the show is AWESOME!
bswiz is offline  
post #4870 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaldorfSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nr. Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

Was I the only one annoyed by all the Twitter comments being plastered on the screen? If this is something they're going to do every week, it might be enough to make me skip the show. I don't care if xman4123 thinks the show is AWESOME!

Agreed! Now that DWTS is doing it we'll probably see it spread to other shows like American Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, The Bachelor, Survivor and so on just like the other screen detritus! (one does it they all do it).
WaldorfSalad is offline  
post #4871 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Boyce View Post

I am in California also in the western time zone watching OTA and while most of the audio here is in the center there is some audio in the other channels as well. I did hear a commercial go by that had the dialog only in the center but the music content and no dialog in the L & R fronts.

KGO San Francisco via Comcast. The sound here was way top heavy on bass. I had to knock my AVR's Audyssey Bass offset to it highest level to get some of the audio detail back. OTOH, the overall PQ was very good here. I didn't see any blocking or artifacts during the broadcast.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #4872 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Agreed! Now that DWTS is doing it we'll probably see it spread to other shows like American Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, The Bachelor, Survivor and so on just like the other screen detritus! (one does it they all do it).

The Voice started doing it last year and have been doing it extensively this year too.

WilliamR is offline  
post #4873 of 5626 Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
OTA KSTP in MSP, 1 SD sub. Overall picture quality was about as good as ABC gets, didn't listen in 5.1 so can't comment on that aspect.
All in all I was quite impressed by the cast, no real stinkers in the lot. Thought the scoring was a little top heavy but don't think anyone really deserved less than a 6, I just would have given more 6's and 7's and less 8's and 9's.
Oh I also didn't care for the increased screen clutter by adding the Twitter clutter. For the first half of the show we had local blocking Wx scroll on the bottom, the ABC eye in the right corner followed by a rotating box(time/temp and station logo) near the left bottom all framed in a 16x9 box(pillar box to keep the proper aspect because of the large blocking scroll on the bottom) Thankfully the last 1/2 was free of clutter other than the ABC bug(inside the 4x3 frame).
jjeff is offline  
post #4874 of 5626 Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
nlk10010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

For a cast that could barely be called "stars", I was pleasantly surprised. We had the token lesbian (should go home), the token black athlete (surprisingly good, but not to the judges), and a bunch of other D-listers.

I best liked Driver and Jaleel (who?). Sheri was "light" for a heavy gal; Gladys wasn't.

Looking at the cast, I expected terrible ratings. It might not be that bad.

Sheri was indeed surprisingly light on her feet, the "classical" singer from UK (sorry, forgot her name) looked like she had been watching actual dancing and knew how she was supposed to look in hold and also was careful with her feet. Jaleel, I thought, was pretty awful, which tells me that the judges fawning over him might be the result of producers whispering in their ears. But just my take.
nlk10010 is offline  
post #4875 of 5626 Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Weekly BUMP for tonight's performance show. After last week's stellar performances (was there really a bad dance in the bunch?), all 12 stars come back to do a second dance (Latin if they did ballroom last week and vice versa) for your votes.

Someone has to go home tomorrow night (then have their required visits to Jimmy Kimmel Live and Good Morning America).

Will your favorite join the Kenny Mayne/Tucker Carlson/Jeffrey Ross first-out club?
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4876 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Second week of performances now done. Some kept up to the high standard, some fell somewhat off the cliff.

Based on last night, I think either Sherry, Melissa or Martina will be the first to go. My take: Martina Navratilova is gone.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4877 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yup... Maria hot as ever, and I'm falling in love with Katherine... didn't know who she was but she's gorgeous..

Yeah it's between Martina and Melissa going home today..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
post #4878 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Yup... Maria hot as ever, and I'm falling in love with Katherine... didn't know who she was but she's gorgeous..

Yeah it's between Martina and Melissa going home today..

Katherine Jenkins is a Welsh opera singer who did a singing appearance on DWTS during season 12.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4879 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm also liking Katherine quite a bit, she seems very genuine. As for tonight I think Martina might be the first to go home. Not that she was that terrible but this season really has no total stinkers so from the process of elimination she'll probably be the first to go.
BTW did anyone else notice Brooke's dress this week try as I may I just couldn't look her in the eyes
jjeff is offline  
post #4880 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Told myself I was out this year...but I watched anyway. Definitely a more talented/polished group and there are 5 or 6 that can go all the way. However, the latin soap god is going to garner the female votes all the way through. Katherine is already wearing on middle american housewife...comments like...ringer, phoney, fake are pretty commonplace. I personally think she's got alot of class and hopes she stays. Donald Driver and Derek's partner have a ton of potential. Roshon will last awhile, but how many tweenish watch this show. I think Jaleel shot his wad in the opening. Not that he won't get better, but that routine took weeks to put together. He didn't look polished last night.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #4881 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Now over on the west coast, so I can report.

Last three couples left were: Roshon&Chelsie (a surprise!), Gavin&Karina and Martina&Tony. The latter two were the bottom two.

And going home is...

No real surprise - Martina&Tony. She really didn't do her jive well last night and it cost her.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4882 of 5626 Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Also reported, Maria didn't just hurt her ribs, she broke two ribs. She is a trooper.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4883 of 5626 Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Also reported, Maria didn't just hurt her ribs, she broke two ribs. She is a trooper.

She sure is, although that horse laugh of hers is one of the strangest sounds that I've heard eminate from a human being in awhile.

I remember when Katherine Jenkins did her vocal guest shot in a Season 12 results show that, beyond her spectacular soprano, I was struck by her looks. Seeing her on this show, especially with the hair style that she sported this week while doing the Jive, I am now thunderstruck by how drop dead gorgeous she really is. She is stunning! Young Mr. Ballas has luckily fallen into it again (and maybe he'd like to in other ways).
Cal1981 is offline  
post #4884 of 5626 Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

She sure is, although that horse laugh of hers is one of the strangest sounds that I've heard eminate from a human being in awhile.

I remember when Katherine Jenkins did her vocal guest shot in a Season 12 results show that, beyond her spectacular soprano, I was struck by her looks. Seeing her on this show, especially with the hair style that she sported this week while doing the Jive, I am now thunderstruck by how drop dead gorgeous she really is. She is stunning! Young Mr. Ballas has luckily fallen into it again (and maybe he'd like to in other ways).

Yep, she's hotter than a pistol. I can imagine her real personality is alot more fun than a stuffy classical vocalist generally personifies to the public.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #4885 of 5626 Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Weekly BUMP for tonight's performance show. Martina Navratilova's exit last week was kind of expected. Who goes this week?
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4886 of 5626 Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Either the judges were extremely generous in their scores, or the dancing was off the charts tonight. Not a single score below 8 and there were three 10s to boot (only week 3!).

Only 5 points separate first from last (5 couples with 24, William&Cheryl with 28, Katherine&Mark with 29).

So the audience vote will make a HUGE difference in who stays and who goes tomorrow. Right now, I'm not interested in venturing a guess on who get eliminated.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4887 of 5626 Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Temple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 8,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Either the judges were extremely generous in their scores, or the dancing was off the charts tonight. Not a single score below 8 and there were three 10s to boot (only week 3!).

Only 5 points separate first from last (5 couples with 24, William&Cheryl with 28, Katherine&Mark with 29).

So the audience vote will make a HUGE difference in who stays and who goes tomorrow. Right now, I'm not interested in venturing a guess on who get eliminated.

I actually thought Derek and Maria got shortchanged tonight. Their rumba was nearly flawless, but since they danced early they got solid 9s. Then Kathryn and William danced later and scored 10s. I guess the judges just gave up trying to control the scoring. Whatever, the talent level of the top 6 dancers is as good as the best over the last few seasons. Heck, I think Donald is better than Hines Ward and he's having to fight his way into contention.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Ron Temple is offline  
post #4888 of 5626 Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
humdinger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I actually thought Derek and Maria got shortchanged tonight. Their rumba was nearly flawless, but since they danced early they got solid 9s. Then Kathryn and William danced later and scored 10s. I guess the judges just gave up trying to control the scoring. Whatever, the talent level of the top 6 dancers is as good as the best over the last few seasons. Heck, I think Donald is better than Hines Ward and he's having to fight his way into contention.

I give Maria the award for hardest working dancer this week. Practice time with Derek, then cross-country flight to Florida to participate in a match at Wrestlemania on Sunday night (that's not gotta help the ribs!) and then back to California for the live performance show on Monday night!

I'm pretty sure she and Derek snuck in as much practice time as they could those last few days.
humdinger70 is offline  
post #4889 of 5626 Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I give Maria the award for hardest working dancer this week. Practice time with Derek, then cross-country flight to Florida to participate in a match at Wrestlemania on Sunday night (that's not gotta help the ribs!) and then back to California for the live performance show on Monday night!

I'm pretty sure she and Derek snuck in as much practice time as they could those last few days.

Gotta give Maria major props for, even with the injured ribs, doing Wrestlemania and DWTS in almost the same time space. From what I've read, she goes well beyond the average celeb in WWE and really sells out during her matches. She appears to be an excellent athlete and a very good dancer as well.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #4890 of 5626 Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yeah I love Maria... but I'm prediction a Katherine Vs. William at the very end..
Winner decided by mostly women? they'll vote for William..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off