Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 165 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4921 of 5538 Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I didn't know this until I saw a message in the HOTP thread.

There's a 20/20 special on some of the behind the scenes stuff that happens on DWTS. It starts at 10:01 PM, right after Monday's performance show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Kind of interesting 20/20 special, at least for fans of DWTS.
Gladys was at the bottom and contrary to what I thought going into the night I think she may be the one going home. That or maybe Melissa or even the young Disney star Roshon. Also going in I thought Jaleel had a chance of going home but after the dance off I think he'll be safe for a few more weeks.
Katherine was great, but Maria kind of faltered in the dance off but no way she'll be going home.

No real talk about Picture Quality this year but IMO it's OK HD at best. Don't get me wrong, it's real HDl(a fair amount better than a upconvert) but not as good as other ABC programming(GMA comes to mind which is very good, especially for 720p) or certainly not up to CBS or even NBC when they get it right.
Maybe it's just my market?? but the HD and graphics just aren't crisp as they could be, which is sad considering the great skin this show provides. I also see fairly bad macroblocking during scene cuts(which I could deal with) but I just don't like all the mosquito type garbage during a stationary scenes

46" calibrated 1080p Sony TV, OTA with 2 SD subs. I might blame the subs but again shows like GMA can look so stellar I think it must be more the program itself
post #4923 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

No real talk about Picture Quality this year but IMO it's OK HD at best. Don't get me wrong, it's real HDl(a fair amount better than a upconvert) but not as good as other ABC programming(GMA comes to mind which is very good, especially for 720p) or certainly not up to CBS or even NBC when they get it right.

I'm guessing it's simply the look they are going for. Like The Good Wife never has that video look to it. Except for a rare scene such as last week. They had an outdoor scene and it was dramatically sharper so much so it didn't even look like the same show. However here I haven't noticed any macroblocking and I'm fairly sensitive to it. The biggest issue I have had with the show is the audio. Tom's and Brooke's mikes (around the dance floor for years) makes them appear to be in a can. I have noticed it through several receivers although of late I haven't. I guess I'm blocking it out or perhaps they resolved it...
post #4924 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I didn't know this until I saw a message in the HOTP thread.

There's a 20/20 special on some of the behind the scenes stuff that happens on DWTS. It starts at 10:01 PM, right after Monday's performance show.

The usual stuff for a "behind the scenes" special. Except for, the part where they showed the DWTS knock-off that airs in Argentina. Boy does that edition push some buttons.

FYI, you can find the uncensored version of the video by Googling "Argentina Dancing With The Stars". Warning: not office safe, very much R-rated!
post #4925 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A different flavor with last night's Motown special. Live performances (for the dancers) by Martha Reeves, Smoky Robinson and The Temptations. Interesting that they had fellow Motown-er Gladys Knight leading off the dance competition performances.

Very different with the live vocals from the actual performers vs. the music as performed by the Harold Wheeler led orchestra.

I was a bit disappointed in that they only three live performers, was hoping for more (a different one for each couple?), but still acceptable. The cover group Human Nature, doing the singing during the breaks, could have been used.

Also, Martha Reeves was limited to doing the opening segment and one song for the dance competition itself. Smoky and the Temptations did the other 7. Was she having problems or was it planned that way?
post #4926 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

The usual stuff for a "behind the scenes" special. Except for, the part where they showed the DWTS knock-off that airs in Argentina. Boy does that edition push some buttons.

FYI, you can find the uncensored version of the video by Googling "Argentina Dancing With The Stars". Warning: not office safe, very much R-rated!

Ok...had to do it. Definitely a different take on the DTWS formula. Which one's are the pros? Oh, they all are I guess...and what's with the crowd and announcer acting outraged? Do they play it straight until they throw in one of these "get off" performances?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #4927 of 5538 Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DWTS results show now over on the west coast, so I can report...

The bottom two were: Roshon&Chelsie and Gladys&Tristan. They did a jive (first time for both) for the dance duel. A split vote this week and eliminated are:

Gladys&Tristan.

On to next week with seven couples and multiple dances for all couples each week.

On another note, a nice blending of DWTS stars and SYTYCD alumni. Chelsie, Dimitri, Adichike (dancing with the young ballerina) and Travis, Nick, Melanie (yes, I saw her ) and I think the other female finalist (her name escapes me, sorry) from last season's SYTYCD group. Nigel Lythgoe, if he was watching, would have to be pleased.
post #4928 of 5538 Old 04-25-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally, an All-Star season?

"I thought she was doing amazing," he said, when he added, "You know what, Kelly? They're doing a Dancing With the Stars: All-Stars this next season. They called me to do it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T5gr8DJYstp
post #4929 of 5538 Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Finally, an All-Star season?

"I thought she was doing amazing," he said, when he added, "You know what, Kelly? They're doing a Dancing With the Stars: All-Stars this next season. They called me to do it."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T5gr8DJYstp

If they want to go out with a bang, do the following:

1) season 15 (fall), do the all-star thing as Mario mentioned, bring back those who came close to winning but didn't - give 'em a second chance.

2) season 16 (spring - final season), do a 'champion of champions' thing - bring back all 14 prior season winners (15 if you include the all-stars winner) or as many that would like to participate and crown a 'champion of champions'. Make it interesting - couples would also play for a charity (with big money at stake) - $50,000 per couple each week they advance (each charity guaranteed $50,000 regardless of outcome), double that ($100,000) for quarter and semi-final weeks, and the winning couple gets a super-size mirror ball trophy and... $1 million to that couples charity.

That second one (spring champion of champions) could be a bit dicey because of the multiple wins by the pros - Derek's won 3x, Mark has won 2x (ditto for Kym Johnson, Cheryl Burke, Julianne Hough if she comes back). The multiple win pros would select the celeb they want to partner with and others would have to be assigned.
post #4930 of 5538 Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they want to go out with a bang, do the following:

I don't think they want to go out at all. The ratings are still very strong and production wise it can't be that costly. I think teaming the pros with their highest finishing contestant would work nicely (as much as possible). Feels more like a rivalry to me than changing partners which could work as well... Off the wall I'm guessing you could even have the pros dance with more than one partner... now that would get complex. I guess they practice 5 (to 6) hours a day (on practice days)... anything to get Julianne and or Edyta back on the floor.
post #4931 of 5538 Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Julianne said on the special she hasn't really danced since leaving. When I watched her on Footloose promo last fall where she did a duet with Derek you could tell she wasn't as crisp. I question whether she has it in herself to back into complete shape.
Looking at all the hours the pros put in in with their partner and then add all the special dances. It is just nuts.
post #4932 of 5538 Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly BUMP for this week's performance show. Classical music week. No, Katherine Jenkins probably won't sing, she's too busy dancing and leading the pack. FYI, Tuesday will be the final Dance Duel for the bottom two couples.

Also, two weeks to the return of over-glittered ones on DanceCenter.
post #4933 of 5538 Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
mgh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is this the only show that gives me pixelation problems? No other shows on the same network have this problem. Uverse.
post #4934 of 5538 Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Weekly BUMP for this week's performance show. Classical music week. No, Katherine Jenkins probably won't sing, she's too busy dancing and leading the pack. FYI, Tuesday will be the final Dance Duel for the bottom two couples.

Also, two weeks to the return of over-glittered ones on DanceCenter.

Now not so sure about having DanceCenter this season.

Tom announced that next week they will have the dreaded 'double elimination', which means they will go from 6 to 4 couples (right to the semi-finals). They go from 7 to 6 on tomorrow night's results show.

I guess that having them all dance two weeks in a row at the beginning of the season required this.
post #4935 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post

Why is this the only show that gives me pixelation problems? No other shows on the same network have this problem. Uverse.

Could simply be based in its content. Lots of fast action, moving lights and whatnot. Rather bandwidth demanding... of which I don't believe (admittedly) U-verse offers.
post #4936 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was thinking that Katherine Jenkins was the leader - it was hers to lose. And now Maria and Derek pull out a 30 for their vampire paso doble. She must have been channeling her inner Bela Lugosi . Shows you how unpredictable this season has been.

Any takers on who does the Dance Duel tonight?
post #4937 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I was thinking that Katherine Jenkins was the leader - it was hers to lose. And now Maria and Derek pull out a 30 for their vampire paso doble. She must have been channeling her inner Bela Lugosi . Shows you how unpredictable this season has been.

I thought that Katherine and Mark got jobbed by Bruno and Carrie Ann. Trying to dance a Rhumba to "Canon in D" was a diffiicult task.

I must have missed Lady Gaga's Bad Romance now being included in the classical collections that are sold on infomercials

It was interesting that, after all the judges' praise for Team Paso, they scored one piont less than Team Tango (which I thought was smashing).

Here's a great recap and assessment from Louis Van Amstel:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...al-week-recap/
post #4938 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I will say that Maria/Derek's performance didn't surprise me (not that I saw it coming, of course). They did a Rhumba a few weeks back in which Maria was about as good as anyone I had seen on that show, looked almost professional, at least from a layman's perspective. So Maria has it in her (not to say that was the reason the judges awarded a 30, of course, just one of those times when the blind squirrels find a nut ).
post #4939 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking that Katherine Jenkins was the leader - it was hers to lose. And now Maria and Derek pull out a 30 for their vampire paso doble.

I tend to think although she is getting better that was still a freak occurrence... more or less a perfect storm not to be repeated and a lot of the scoring (10s) was the result of his choreography.

Now as far the public voting which will determine the winner... who knows. Her "romance" with Derek might help or hurt. My guess it will come down to who is left standing "by themselves" after a few more eliminations. If most of the guys go it might be a guy... if most of the girls go it might be a girl...
post #4940 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

If Melissa goes tonight, then the rest of the contestants are pretty evenly matched. The following week is the double elimination, right? Some pretty fine dancers are going to go. We'll see who is really pulling the votes among the elites. I'm kind of hoping for a final four of Donald, William, Katherine and Maria...after that, the best dance wins.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #4941 of 5538 Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Show over on the west coast...

Encore dance by, as expected, Maria&Derek, who surprised us with an alternate ending (usually saved for the DVD ).

Nice story (and recovery) by Steelo of the Groovaloos.

The ballroom battle went to Team Cheryl, Team Tony was second and Team Louis was third (no I didn't watch the web stuff).

Surprise! Marked as safe were... Melissa&Maks. So the Dance Duel (rumba) was between Jaleel&Kym and Roshon&Chelsie. The result was unanimous, and the couple leaving (and headed to Jimmy Kimmel Live!) is...

Jaleel&Kym (who by his own admission was hoping to stay at least 3 dances). So good for him. Roshon... better do some body building exercises quick!

Next week, double elimination to get us to the semi-final four.
post #4942 of 5538 Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sort of flabbergasted that Melissa is still there...I believe there was a 4-5point differential between she and Jaleel/Roshon. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands or million votes that equates to.

post #4943 of 5538 Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I too was surprised about Melissa though my guess is both Melissa and Roshon will be going next week, isn't next week a double elimination?
I thought Roshon and Jaleel were quite evenly matched and could have went either way AFA their elimination but I believe Melissa should have been the one who went.
post #4944 of 5538 Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anybody watch Kimmel on Tuesday night? David Arquette was a scheduled guest and in come Jaleel White and Kym Johnson (who was David's partner on DWTS the prior season). (Usually the first guest is gone when the DWTS castoffs arrive, but Jimmy had David stay to meet and greet his former pro dance partner)

Had to be awkward for Kym when asked who was her favorite between the two.
post #4945 of 5538 Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I'm sort of flabbergasted that Melissa is still there...I believe there was a 4-5point differential between she and Jaleel/Roshon. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands or million votes that equates to.

Not all that many actually. Even less when they combine the two dances. It's based on percentages of all of the votes combined for each contestant. To make it simple let's say...

9 contestants get 30
1 contestant gets 20

That's 290 in total...

10.3% for 9 contestants
6.9% for one

So the last place person would just need to have more than 3.4% telephone votes to be safe. And that's a really extreme example. With two dances (the second pretty much a wash) it reduces the percentage a lot.

I believe that's how the scoring works.
post #4946 of 5538 Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Still madly in love with Maria, the very reason I began to watch this show, Katherine comes close second though..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #4947 of 5538 Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly BUMP for tonight's performance show.

A lot of 'double' this week. Double dances for the competitors, double elimination tomorrow night.
post #4948 of 5538 Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another crazy night. Another 30 (William&Cheryl) and another leader after the judges scores (William&Cheryl).

DanceCenter fans, it's all good. DanceCenter will be on tomorrow night's results show.
post #4949 of 5538 Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Somebody who I really like is going home tomorrow, maybe two somebodies. I thought Len jobbed Maria twice. I thought Katherine fell back a tad. Roshon improved. I thought Donald got jobbed a bit. Either the tango or that jive trio deserved a 30. Melissa improved, but still was slightly overscored. With her audience...or Maks'...she could easily be safe and we'll lose Roshon and one of the lookers( maybe both )...and I'm leaning towards Maria as the one that has the most legs. Her connection to Derek is intense, that waltz was amazing. Katherine can't compete with that heat. William was solidly excellent and I'm sure he's safe. It's usually a two dog race by now. I'll be bummed if I lose my girl(s).

post #4950 of 5538 Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Very odd scoring by Len and KA, thought both Katherine and Maria were under scored at times and I can't believe they gave Roshon a 30 I mean I was thinking solid 8s or maybe 9s but just didn't see 10s across the board almost like they were trying to make sure he didn't go home no matter what the audience did....or maybe they knew no matter how high they scored him he would still be going home(maybe his audience vote has been that low) so they figured he could go out on top with the judges but still go.
As much as I think Melissa tries I think she'll be the first to go, followed my Roshon. I believe Donald should be safe and you'd think front runner Katherine and Maria should also be safe, that only leaves William who has also been popular....that second one leaving will be hard to say but again from the process of elimination I'd guess Roshon.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page