Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 167 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4981 of 5533 Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
OK, I gave a spoiler in an earlier posting, a shocker, but now the results show is over on the west coast and time for the reveal.

Katherine&Mark are..... SAFE! When she heard the news she jumped up and down excitedly a lot, so her back is better (or that was some adrenaline rush).

Next up were Maria&Derek, and you would think with them in first place in the judges scores, an easy path to the finals, right? WRONG! They were in jeopardy.

William&Cheryl (who did an encore of their perfect score samba) and Donald&Peta were next to find out and safe were..... William&Cheryl.

So it came down to Donald&Peta (third in judges scores) and Maria&Derek for the final spot in the finals and the couple eliminated were....

SHOCKER! AGAIN!
Maria&Derek. And to add a little insult to this, Jimmy Kimmel is in NYC for ABC's upfronts, so they won't go on his show (they will do Wednesday's GMA).

Other items...
Julianne Hough back in the ballroom! Still looking good.

What's up with Carrie Underwood? Her pigeon-toed foot posture was ridiculous.

Next season confirmed. All-stars (as in prior contestants) going from past winners to past favorites to outright controversial contestants. Who will be there for season 15? I guess we'll have to wait until September to find out.

Next week's finals performance show is only 1 hour long. 3 couples, 6 total dances (and one more on the results show, plus the return of the eliminated contenders).

It's going to be a long week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5533 Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I'm going to put a spoiler here for those who haven't seen the results show yet...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Katherine&Mark are through to the finals.

FYI, I usually don't do spoilers, but I said, why not.
post #4983 of 5533 Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Well my favorite is gone but good luck to the rest, they are all good! Glad Katherine wasn't punished for Mark's mistake(to me it was obvious he knocked her leg out from under her with his leg as he crossed over her, but that's water under the dam).
While I thought Julianne's dancing was good I just didn't care for her hair, to each his own I guess and I also noticed the rather odd foot positions of Carrie as you said, "ridiculous".
Have no real feeling on who's going to walk away with the mirror ball next week, unlike some previous seasons I think it will all come down to the final dance and on that note, may the best dancer win
post #4984 of 5533 Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Oh crap, I guess my votes didn't help much.. Sad to see Maria go.. It's gonna be between William and Katherine.. I'm rooting for Katherine but the likely winner is gonna be William...

A real shocker and sneak attack type would be Donald winning.. expect it..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #4985 of 5533 Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unbelievable show last night. It got two loud "Holy Craps" out of me. The first was Katherine being safe and of course the second was Maria being eliminated. Katherine is so very charming, earnest and self-affacing and that may have carried her through. There might have also been a Len backlash at work here as well. His nitpicking of her may have made her more attractive to the voters. Once she was saved, it had to be Donald going but he has also been charming, earnest and his life story is very inspiring. He dances with great emotion, always a plus. He has also been a consumate professional during his NFL careeer and votes might have gone his way because of that. Maria was the better pure dancer and has a great personality. The reasons for her being bounced are not entirely clear but I do wonder about whether the judges overplayed their hand in terms of the level of praise and the scores that they gave her. Sometimes the voters sense that the judges are shaping the results and rebel against that. All in all, it's been a great season for the show and the finals should be very entertaining.
Next season's returning All-star format should have some very good dancing form the get go. I could see Joey Fatone, Drew Lache and Hines Ward among others coming back. Hopefully Nicole can join the party as well.
post #4986 of 5533 Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have now lost confidence of this being a dancing competetion and just a hot bod contest now. Last night proved it. God love William & Donald for their rough upbringing, but they could get up there next week and do the hokey pokey and it would be a close vote with Katherine being eliminated first.

100% Digital household since 2001
post #4987 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly BUMP for tonight's performance (finals!) show.

Who has what it takes to bring home the mirror ball trophy tomorrow night? William, Donald or Katherine?
post #4988 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Maria was the better pure dancer and has a great personality. The reasons for her being bounced are not entirely clear but I do wonder about whether the judges overplayed their hand in terms of the level of praise and the scores that they gave her.

When they the were reviewing Maria's dances from the previous night my wife volunteered "I might have had enough of her" and although she has never voted in her life she is well within the demographics of the show. Might just be her intensity and to some degree the over done relationship with Derek grew old. Plus, I think she and Katherine split a lot of votes which more or less doomed one (or both of them).
post #4989 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

When they the were reviewing Maria's dances from the previous night my wife volunteered "I might have had enough of her" and although she has never voted in her life she is well within the demographics of the show. Might just be her intensity and to some degree the over done relationship with Derek grew old. Plus, I think she and Katherine split a lot of votes which more or less doomed one (or both of them).

I could see the possibility that Maria's very outgoing (some might say "in your face") personality could, after repeated exposures, put a segment of the voters off. Contrast that with Katherine who is a brilliant singer, quite beautiful but very self-effacing and overtly insecure in this genre of entertainment. That probably is more endearing to many. I think that, after awhile, there was some suspicion that Derek was carrying Maria more than it appeared whereas Katherine, from a pure skill and technical standpoint, was just better. Mark has been more of a pyschological and emotional crutch for her but the woman can definitely move around the dance floor. It should be a real bang up final with three very engaging contestants so let the games begin.
post #4990 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I wonder how many fans actually vote on who they feel the best dancer is on any given night...especially at this point in the season. Favorites are established, battle lines have been drawn and for the most part, I feel the audience has already decided on who gets their votes. That's kind of a shame. I decided long ago, I'd never get involved in the voting process, just enjoy the show for it's entertainment value and root for the best dancers. That said, I'm not going to vote tonight, but I'd have no problem in voting for the best performance...not necessarily who my favorite is. It's going to be close and subjective for those who vote that way. What do you think...maybe 2% haven't already prejudged this competition?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #4991 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

While it's true that many people have already made up their minds I do think that could change if anyone made a blatant mistake or someone obviously had a super number. If everyone just does good people will probably just vote who they have liked in the past.
I really have no idea this year but I think Katherine's odds went up when Maria was eliminated last week. Looking forward to tonight!
post #4992 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
They are all HOT tonight!
post #4993 of 5533 Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

West Coast broadcast is well over. A great final. William was excellent but Katherine was flawless on both of her dances. Donald's country western freestyle was the highlight of the night. He finally got that 10 from Len.
Scores:
Katherine 60
William 59
Donald 59

One more dance for the judges scores tomorrow but I've gotta say it's Katherine's to lose.
post #4994 of 5533 Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

So the winner is gonna be determined solely on the judges right? why bother voting? LOL

My picks:
1. William
2. Katherine
3. Donald

post #4995 of 5533 Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I wish this show would die along with American idiot...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #4996 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The show (and season 14) are now over on the west coast, so time for the reveal.

An action packed show with lots of dancing (of course!) from the pros and all the celebrities. Plus songs by both Kelly Clarkson and season 14 dancer Gladys Knight.

Let's just say that the judges scoring of the final competitive dances on tonight's show was academic - all 10s across the board. So the final judges total scoring:
Katherine&Mark - 90
William&Cheryl - 89
Donald&Peta - 89

Third place....
William&Cheryl

Second place....
Katherine&Mark

First place (and new champions)....
Donald&Peta
(Donald did his usual roll on the floor happy dance. At least the Packers got one championship trophy this season. )
Great turnaround for Peta - last season, with Metta World Peace, first out; this season, she's hoisting the mirror ball trophy.

(FYI, DialIdol got it WRONG! They predicted Katherine&Mark for 3rd by a wide margin)

By the way, that loud noise you hear in the background? That's Jimmy Kimmel laughing all the way to the cashier's window in Vegas. NostraDANCEmus has struck again - he's now correctly predicted the winner 6 out of the last 10 seasons, better than some football bookies/pundits.

Winners help Kimmel celebrate tonight, then all three finalists off the GMA on Wednesday morning.

Another season in the books. Next season, all stars - some good, some bad and some head scratching choices. See you in September.
post #4997 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mmmmmm

IDK the judges scores were so even, I was like 99% sure Katherine would win, but, who's the most popular of the 3 on the US? (and maybe perhaps with the most millionare friends)

post #4998 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Mmmmmm

IDK the judges scores were so even, I was like 99% sure Katherine would win, but, who's the most popular of the 3 on the US? (and maybe perhaps with the most millionare friends)

The judges "scores" are a formality on the last show. They usuallly give 10s and leave it in the hands of the voters. William made a bad and very obvious mistake during his dance last night when hebotched one of the tricks with Cheryl but not one of he judges mentioned it. Personally, I felt that Katherine should have won but Donald improved so much and was so earnest and likeable that his winning was not a surprise. His future with the Packers, given his age and his salary, still seems to be uncertain. You have to wonder about wether his performance on DWTS and the tremendous good will that the Packer organization accrued as a result will make it more likely that, with some restructuring of his contract, he remains in Green Bay. It would be nice to see him retire as a lifetime cheesehead.
post #4999 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I also think Donalds freestyle contributed a big part to his win. I mean everyone seems to agree it was the best dance of the night and the last dance the voting public saw before casting their vote.
I might have liked Catherine to win the most but was just fine with Donald or even William would have been OK. My god that Donald is ripped he looks like you could punch him in the stomach as hard as you could and your hand would hurt more than his stomach! He must spend many hours each day in the gym lifting weights to keep up a physique like that
post #5000 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I also think Donalds freestyle contributed a big part to his win. I mean everyone seems to agree it was the best dance of the night and the last dance the voting public saw before casting their vote.
I might have liked Catherine to win the most but was just fine with Donald or even William would have been OK. My god that Donald is ripped he looks like you could punch him in the stomach as hard as you could and your hand would hurt more than his stomach! He must spend many hours each day in the gym lifting weights to keep up a physique like that

Donald's freestyle was clearly the most entertaining dance of the night but Katherine's freestyle, from a purely technical standpoint, was more difficult and accomplished. Mark really threw the kitchen sink at her in terms of the multiple styles. Still, like you, I had no problems with Donald taking the trophy. His physique is astounding and while I'm not a big fan of tatoos generally, Donald's chevron style tats really accentuated how ripped his torso is. For a guy his age, his conditoning is amazing.
post #5001 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
After Maria was kicked to the curb I favored Katherine (get the idea I like the ladies... ) although I didn't really care who won. You can make a case for each of them... and as always viewer voting is going to have their way.

I thought Gladys Knight's song was superb and pretty much the highlight of the night. Outside of Donald's freestyle I was disappointed... sure they danced fine but they didn't have any real celebration.

I would have loved to see what Derek would have come up with as for me this season he was killer. Even Maria's repeat performance (style wise) outclassed most if not all of the final dances.
post #5002 of 5533 Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
[quote=Charles R;22055575]After Maria was kicked to the curb I favored Katherine (get the idea I like the ladies... ) although I didn't really care who won. You can make a case for each of them... and as always viewer voting is going to have their way.

I thought Gladys Knight's song was superb and pretty much the highlight of the night. Outside of Donald's freestyle I was disappointed... sure they danced fine but they didn't have any real celebration.

I would have loved to see what Derek would have come up with as for me this season he was killer. Even Maria's repeat performance (style wise) outclassed most if not all of the final dances.[/QUOTE] +1 ... their performance last night was better than their perfect 30 during the competition. Her legs were much stronger. I would have loved to see them in the finals with Katherine and Donald, though I think the end result would have been the same.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #5003 of 5533 Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Nielsen ratings (factoring in DVR usage) are in and, once again, DWTS (and the corresponding results show) was ABC's top rated program this season. cool.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2012-06-11/Nielsen-ratings-2011-2012-season/55527732/1?AID=4992781&PID=4003003&SID=ua3kik4osskk
post #5004 of 5533 Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Season 15 announcement BUMP.

Yes, I am resurrecting this thread with the announcement on Friday, July 27 of the new cast for the 'all-star' season 15. I It supposedly will happen at the TCAs but just in case Good Morning America shows it, I'm recording that program too.
post #5005 of 5533 Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The announcement of the cast for season 15 has been made public.

Link here: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/cast-announcement/cast-announcement?cid=fb_dws_cast

6 former champions (seasons 1 thru 5 and 8) are coming back.
post #5006 of 5533 Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, only 12 of the 13 participants have been announced.

The last spot goes to the winner of an online vote. Choices are Carson Kressley, Kyle Massey and Sabrina Bryan.

link to vote: http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars?cid=fb_dws_vote
post #5007 of 5533 Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Have they become that desperate for "Stars" that they have to re-cycle participants? Apparently so.
post #5008 of 5533 Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
It's an "All-Star" season so, of course, they will be recycled.....
post #5009 of 5533 Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 554
How can they call it an "all star season" without the one gal so many of us want to see? That would be Stacy Kiebler, of course. Is her schedule as George Clooney's current eye-candy so exhaustive she's not available? rolleyes.gif

Honestly, a chance to see her dance again is the only thing that would bring me back to this show.
post #5010 of 5533 Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

How can they call it an "all star season" without the one gal so many of us want to see? That would be Stacy Kiebler, of course. Is her schedule as George Clooney's current eye-candy so exhaustive she's not available? rolleyes.gif
Honestly, a chance to see her dance again is the only thing that would bring me back to this show.
She was the one person who made me wish the show was in HD! This was season 2, DWTS went HD in season 3 (and had me start this thread since it was now appropriate).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page