Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 183 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5461 of 5564 Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Why did they blur out Candace's shirt? Looked like it just had "PEACE" on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 5564 Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Why did they blur out Candace's shirt? Looked like it just had "PEACE" on it.

I thought the same thing, IMO the whole blurring out thing is gotten out of control, just because you can do something doesn't mean it needs to be done :rolleyes:

Whenever I see it I say to myself(or anyone else around) xx company must have not wanted to pay Disney enough money to get the product placement!

The producers must go though rolls of black duct tape, I see degrees of it on almost everyone's T-shirts, really really stupid if you ask me.

post #5463 of 5564 Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I thought the same thing, IMO the whole blurring out thing is gotten out of control, just because you can do something doesn't mean it needs to be done rolleyes.gif
Whenever I see it I say to myself(or anyone else around) xx company must have not wanted to pay Disney enough money to get the product placement!
The producers must go though rolls of black duct tape, I see degrees of it on almost everyone's T-shirts, really really stupid if you ask me.
Everything these days seems to be a corporate symbol and Disney doesn't pay who it doesn't want to pay to use it, thus the blurring (or other obfuscation) of said symbol.

To save on duct tape, they also have people wear those shirts inside-out.
post #5464 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I really wish that the show would not have these theme nights. Disney for ballroom dancing? Give me a break and I don't care if they own ABC. Actually, I'd like to see them stop using totally unrelated music to many of the dances. I see that the judges pulled their perennial "let's knock down the scores of the front runner to make it look more competitive" stunt on Meryl. If Meryl came out and and did a potato sack dance with Maks, she still would earn higher scores than Ne Ne. Truly absurd and very transparent.
post #5465 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I guess the show is taking its toll and having to "refresh" itself this season. This happens to a lot of shows like this and honestly, most of the changes are not improvements but merely replacements. The band, Tom B's co-host and some format changes all seem to be mediocre at best. It almost feels like the show is downsizing.

What I do like is watching the dancing and seeing how the performers improve and of course, my all time favourite - the better Tangos.

It might be interesting if the show would do inserts of some of the more seasoned pro dancers earliest appearances on the show. Maybe go back a few years ago to show some of the best and worst performances and how the pro dancers have changed over the years. If some recall, Derek H early on was not treated as "the gold standard" as he is today as one example so it might be fun to see how he did then and how he and his partner are doing now.

I have very few guilty pleasures but always the second half of the season of this show remains one of them.
post #5466 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I guess the show is taking its toll and having to "refresh" itself this season. This happens to a lot of shows like this and honestly, most of the changes are not improvements but merely replacements.

Unlike the singing competitions "reboots" this one appears to be actually working. Most shows are free falling and they are actually up... regarding changes for me there are more pluses than minuses.

ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" grooved its way to the top as the most watched TV program on Monday, making ABC the most watched network of the night.

With 14.2 million viewers, the reality show, which increased its viewership 5% from last week, was No. 1 for the fifth week in a row, according to early numbers from Nielson.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-tv-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-the-voice-20140415,0,1295456.story#axzz2zMHFSGV8

On a night celebrating the music of Disney’s animated movies, DWTS was up week to week by 5% in Adults 18-49 to tie its 2nd-highest rating this season, while earning new season highs with Teen 12-17 and Kids 2-11.  In addition, the show was up over the same night last year (13.4 million and 2.2/6 on 4/14/13) in Total Viewers (+6%) and Adults 18-49 (+5%), marking its 3rd straight week of year-to-year growth on both measures.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/15/disney-night-on-dancing-with-the-stars-is-up-week-to-week-and-year-to-year/254317/

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5467 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Unlike the singing competitions "reboots" this one appears to be actually working. Most shows are free falling and they are actually up... regarding changes for me there are more pluses than minuses.

ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" grooved its way to the top as the most watched TV program on Monday, making ABC the most watched network of the night.

With 14.2 million viewers, the reality show, which increased its viewership 5% from last week, was No. 1 for the fifth week in a row, according to early numbers from Nielson.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-tv-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-the-voice-20140415,0,1295456.story#axzz2zMHFSGV8

On a night celebrating the music of Disney’s animated movies, DWTS was up week to week
 by 5% in Adults 18-49 to tie its 2nd-highest rating 
this season, while earning new season highs
 with Teen 12-17 and Kids 2-11
.  In addition, the show was up over the same night last year (13.4 million and 2.2/6 on 4/14/13) in Total Viewers (+6%) and Adults 18-49 (+5%), marking its 3rd straight week of year-to-year growth

on both measures.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/15/disney-night-on-dancing-with-the-stars-is-up-week-to-week-and-year-to-year/254317/

I am glad the show is doing well. I do feel that the change is not an improvement (my taste/opinion of course) and it remains to be seen if the changes are the reason for gathering audience or the choice of stars. Thanks for the thoughtful response/comment and point taken.
post #5468 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I do feel that the change is not an improvement (my taste/opinion of course) and it remains to be seen if the changes are the reason for gathering audience or the choice of stars.

I can see the changes going both ways...

• Live band - I enjoyed the ambience. But at times their take an a popular song would draw me out of the performance. I often find it more powerful when the original artist performs.
  • Co-host - Never been a Erin Andrews fan but I think she's a perfect fit. Enough personality to play along successfully.
  • Full time guest judge - Why not... based on who they pick it varies but even Donny I could put up with so it's pretty much a plus.
  • Whitney - Now that's a plus. :) I get to endlessly kid my wife about her being hotter than Marilyn.
  • Costumes - It appears they have upped the budget.
  • Opening - I was down on it but I must admit some of the opening numbers have been strong.
  • Return to the Sky Lounge - Easier for the dancers to interact with each other.

I'm sure there are many others including the trend of less structured dance styles and even on that I go both ways. I enjoy the more traditional ballroom dances and wouldn't mind them leaning a little more that way. Although contemporary and the others can be just as compelling on another level. It's more the choreography than style.

| 
|
|
|
post #5469 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I can see the changes going both ways...
  • Live band - I enjoyed the ambience. But at times their take an a popular song would draw me out of the performance. I often find it more powerful when the original artist performs.
  • Co-host - Never been a Erin Andrews fan but I think she's a perfect fit. Enough personality to play along successfully.
  • Full time guest judge - Why not... based on who they pick it varies but even Donny I could put up with so it's pretty much a plus.
  • Whitney - Now that's a plus. smile.gif  I get to endlessly kid my wife about her being hotter than Marilyn.
  • Costumes - It appears they have upped the budget.
  • Opening - I was down on it but I must admit some of the opening numbers have been strong.
  • Return to the Sky Lounge - Easier for the dancers to interact with each other.

I'm sure there are many others including the trend of less structured dance styles and even on that I go both ways. I enjoy the more traditional ballroom dances and wouldn't mind them leaning a little more that way. Although contemporary and the others can be just as compelling on another level. It's more the choreography than style.

I'll take everything you say as being a positive but I'll alsos say that Tom B's co-host is not my cup of tea. Where we both certainly agree is we enjoy the show, dancing and I'll add though the show is scripted, it is somewhat a reality show and a very positive and constructive one at that.
post #5470 of 5564 Old 04-19-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where we both certainly agree is we enjoy the show, dancing and I'll add though the show is scripted, it is somewhat a reality show and a very positive and constructive one at that.

It does seem to have a certain magic about it. As far as generating a good vibe. I can't remember who they were but the other day I saw or read about one of the former contestants and they remarked about another former contestant. Noting that they are still friends and it wasn't a typical match at all. Usually the audience is lined with former contestants and outside of a little (valuable) air time they seem drawn to the show.

| 
|
|
|
post #5471 of 5564 Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello, another weekly show BUMP.

Party Anthem night tonight. Special guest judge RedFoo from LMFAO. (FYI, never heard of this person, but remember one song (edited) - the one Alex and Twitch used for their hip-hop of season 7 of SYTYCD).
post #5472 of 5564 Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Please God, never allow RedFoo to be on this show ever again. What a complete waste of air this clown was. Even worse, they are going to have that pig Abby Lee Miller on as guest judge? If you've ever watched Dance Moms, you know all about her and how Derek has ripped the show and said that what she does is tantamount to child abuse. That episode could be very uncomfortable and smacks of desperation stunt casting. Aside from RedFoo, the show was very good. Erin looked absolutely yummy. Sorry to see Drew leave but he clearly was the weakest celeb left and he was very gracious as he said goodbye. The numbers were very good overall. Danica looked great and Amy was astounding doing the jive. How she can master those quick steps with prosthetic feet is almost beyond comprehension. Not only is she inspiring but she may be helping to advance the science of prosthetic limbs. I'm sure that the makers of these amazing devices are probably paying close attention to what she's accomplishing. Once again, Meryl and Maks were in a league of their own. The speed, precision and emotion of their Tango was breathtaking. Maks was clearly still very angry over Julianne's unkind and unprofessional comments about "phoning it in" two weeks ago. After last night he could have held his middle finger up and said "this is for you Miss Hough". You can see that Maks really thinks that he finally has a partner that he can take to a win. Methinks he's right.
post #5473 of 5564 Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi, sorry for the very belated recap.

RedFoo from LMFAO was the guest judge, with his own colored paddles.

Story of the night was the angst Maks was going through after complaints of him 'phoning it in' during the switch-up week. Obviously he and Meryl rebounded because their tango got a perfect 40.

Low scores were Drew&Cheryl and Candace&Mark with 32. And going out tonight were: Drew&Cheryl.

Cal1981 did a better job of covering it than I did.
post #5474 of 5564 Old 04-26-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OUCH! Danica McKellar (one of my faves this season) broke a rib in rehearsal yesterday (4/25)...her future on the show is uncertain, but she tweeted she hopes to keep dancing.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=864215&gt1=28103

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

/

post #5475 of 5564 Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi, weekly BUMP for tonight's show.

It's Latin Night, which means, sexy songs, skimpy costumes (Erin, ya listening? biggrin.gif) and guest judge (and performer) Ricky Martin.

Also the return of the team dances, Team Loca and Team Vida.

Questionable tonight is Danica McKellar, who broke a rib during training (as reported via several sources).
post #5476 of 5564 Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

West coast recap time...

Injuries have caught up with the couples and they were clearly taking their toll tonight. Danica's broken rib (she did dance), Amy Purdy had back spasms right after her dance, and Meryl&Maks each had injuries during their rehearsals.

Danica could not go all out in her salsa and it cost her, Charlie hurt himself a bit during his paso doble and it cost him (he wanted 10s, got only one - from Ricky), Candace&Mark had to consult a sports psychologist.

Team Vida were James&Peta, Nene&Tony and Charlie&Sharna, all of whom were marked 'in jeopardy'.

Twitter jumped the shark a bit (Tom's words) because Erin had people vote either #DWTSShirtOff or #DWTSShirtOn on Tony Dovolani keeping his shirt on during his dance with Nene (you can guess how that went. biggrin.gif).

For the first dance, Meryl&Maks topped the judges leaderboard with 39 (yeah, Len again) and Nene&Tony were at the bottom with 31.

Because of Amy's injury, she was rushed to the hospital. As a result, Team Loca had to have their dress rehearsal dance performance judged for scores (since the injury occurred after the rehearsal and before the live dance). That was what aired. For the ballroom audience, they danced anyway (we didn't get to see that).

Score was Team Vida - 35, Team Loca - 39. Those points were added to their judges scores (for this week).

The final result, the eliminated couple was Nene&Tony.

Next week, Abby Lee Miller from Dance Moms will be the guest judge.
post #5477 of 5564 Old 04-28-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update, it appears that Amy is OK and cleared to dance next week, per Amy's Twitter posting.

https://twitter.com/AmyPurdyGurl/status/460984578237161472
post #5478 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Once again, Meryl was amazing. Bruno's comment about her keeping up with the pro dancers was dead on. During her dance with Maks, when Meryl was at the front of the women pros in that pyramid formation, you really couldn't tell the difference between her and the group. By all rights Meryl should win this thing going away but with the public involved in the voting, who knows? Len's old fuddy-duddy act is really wearing thin. It appears that he looks for phantom reasons to give a 9 instead of a 10 as he did last night with Meryl. I don't disagree with his contention that the dances have become too busy with the needless addition of the extra pros but a celeb shouldn't be penalized for what is now clearly the accepted format of the routines.
The dress rehearsal of the group dance was fabulous. The last part of the number, when all of the couples were in tight and in almost perfect sync, was something to behold. Given that level of choreography and performance, did Len really think that the routine wouldn't have been as good in front of the live studio audience? Once again, he really had to reach to justify his score.
post #5479 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Next week, Abby Lee Miller from Dance Moms will be the guest judge.
God help us all!
post #5480 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really liking Erin, not that I didn't also like Brooke but Erin seems to be much better on her feet and more personable. Oh plus so far Erin hasn't had a bad hair day or awful dress day.....something Brooke couldn't manage to do for more than a couple programs :p

Unless Amy or Danica are forced to withdraw due to injury my guess is Candace may be the one to go next week. Not that she's bad and she seems to be getting better, but who's worse?

Lastly, OMG could James pants have been any lower :eek: scenes of Michael Phelps came to mind :D

post #5481 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just thought you might want to know. Former co-host Samantha Harris has been diagnosed with breast cancer and will be undergoing a double mastectomy. Please send good thoughts her way.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20804710,00.html
post #5482 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The ratings are in and DWTS was viewed by over 15 million viewers last night. Numbers will change as the 3-day DVR numbers are added in, but it looks like whatever changes the network made to the show before the current season are working.
post #5483 of 5564 Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ratings are in and DWTS was viewed by over 15 million viewers last night. Numbers will change as the 3-day DVR numbers are added in, but it looks like whatever changes the network made to the show before the current season are working.

I still say it's the music, for whatever reason my kids(teens) are watching DWTS this season. They've never really watched it before, in fact they'd generally run from the room when they heard the old opening theme song(that I liked) da da da da da da da, da da da da da!

Anyway this year they have watched every episode(but were disappointed when Cody was eliminated :rolleyes:) and I feel a big part is the prerecorded popular music, that and the somewhat popular guest hosts, although they really had no idea who Ricky was....

My guess is the advertisers would trade 10 of me(and my wife) for one of my kids and if thats the case they must be happy this year.

Yes I'd heard about Samantha and our prayers go out to her and her family :)

post #5484 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi there. Weekly BUMP for tonight's show.

Guest judge Abbey Lee Miller (sp?) from Dance Moms. I've never seen that series so I really have no opinion on her.
(I think this is the last week of celebrity guest judges, I've seen nothing about guest judges in future weeks).

Two dances for the remaining six couples - their first round dance with their pro partners, then a second round where the celebs ditch their pro partners to dance with each other. Guaranteed one same gender couple for that as there are only two male celebs left (James and Charlie).
post #5485 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Two dances for the remaining six couples - their first round dance with their pro partners, then a second round where the celebs ditch their pro partners to dance with each other. Guaranteed one same gender couple for that as there are only two male celebs left (James and Charlie).
Has DwtS ever had a same-gender couple in a two-person judged dance before?  (I wouldn't consider Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer as such; he was already male by then.)

And what if Amy Purdy isn't yet ready to dance again after her injury?
post #5486 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guest judge Abbey Lee Miller (sp?) from Dance Moms. I've never seen that series so I really have no opinion on her.
(I think this is the last week of celebrity guest judges, I've seen nothing about guest judges in future weeks).

If any part of Dance Moms is to be believed, Abby is loathsome and treats her students very badly. Derek and Mark (as well as many other professional dancers and teachers) have been extremely critical of Miller, accusing her of child abuse. Given that, her presence on the show is stunt casting run amok. The ratings can't be that bad.
post #5487 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The ratings can't be that bad.

Tom Delay... never understood that casting and a few others.

| 
|
|
|
post #5488 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

If any part of Dance Moms is to be believed, Abby is loathsome and treats her students very badly. Derek and Mark (as well as many other professional dancers and teachers) have been extremely critical of Miller, accusing her of child abuse. Given that, her presence on the show is stunt casting run amok. The ratings can't be that bad.

It would be kind of fun to hear the dancers just rip her to shreds and essentially reverse judge her. ABC would love to have a little controversy anyways.
post #5489 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just looking at Wikipedia's entry for season 18 and it isn't a true 'ditch their pro partners' thing. It will be a three-way performance, one celeb will team up with a celeb/pro partner combo.
post #5490 of 5564 Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

It would be kind of fun to hear the dancers just rip her to shreds and essentially reverse judge her. ABC would love to have a little controversy anyways.
I suspect that Abby will be on her best behavior and that the producers 'splained things to her. Abby is all about Abby and if she she blows this opportunity on a national network show, she may not get a second chance. Still, if she doesn't act professionally, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the pro dancers blow back at her with gusto. Maks had his integrity questioned a couple of weeks ago by Julianne Hough and I doubt that he'd would passively put up with that kind of nonsense again. Given Derek and Mark's opinion of Abby, I can't see them taking any crap from her either. I doubt that any of this will happen though. Everyone will smile and put on a good show.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page