post #5521 of 5546 Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

I noticed Tony and Val's extreme joy at Max's victory. I'm sure they were happy for him, but I wonder if part of it was because Derek did not win. Is there some resentment for the "Golden Boy"? Does he have a "Holier Than Thou" attitude?

From what I've seen I don't think that there are any bad feelings towards Derek. I think that Tony and Val were just so happy for Maks that he won and that he had a marvelous partner that made that happen. There were similar reactions when Tony, after years on the show, and one of the nicest guys around, finally won in the All-star season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89

Due to family commitments we just watched the finale last night(avoided ABC programming all day yesterday) and was happy with the outcome. Too bad for Amy who would have won just about any season but we were happy for Max & Meryl who we all considered the best dancer.

While one can't argue with the beauty of Brooke we all liked Erin, who had beauty along with a great personality. The loss of the band wasn't really missed and in a way it was nicer to hear the studio versions of songs instead of the bands version.

Wow, kind of a bombshell if Len leaves, he will be missed for sure in my household and while we don't watch Idol I'd have to wonder if it wouldn't be similar to when Simon left that show, hasn't is suffered a loss in viewership ever since?

Winner of this seasons hot pro dancer(and clothing, or rather lack of) award.......Peta :eek: who has filled in very nicely for Kym Johnson.

post #5523 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Too bad for Amy who would have won just about any season but we were happy for Max & Meryl who we all considered the best dancer.
While one can't argue with the beauty of Brooke we all liked Erin, who had beauty along with a great personality. The loss of the band wasn't really missed and in a way it was nicer to hear the studio versions of songs instead of the bands version.

Agreed. Erin was very good and had a knack for asking the embarrassing questions that the viewers really wanted to ask themselves but in a way that, at times, was hilarious. Her exchanges with Maks, her former partner and, for a while, boy toy were just too funny. I was pleasantly surprised by the new band and also felt that the singers were a step up this season. The use of the studio recordings at times was very effective. There are some things that I could do without. The theme nights add nothing for me and can make the dance routines look silly at times (Disney night). The use of the troupe dancers in the competition routines can cause some loss of focus on the celeb dancer (happened with Meryl once). I know that Maks and, I'm sure some of other pros, have expressed gripes about the music that is used for the dance numbers. I'd be much happier if Tangos, and the other Latin dances were done to music that suits them. Some of the music choices have been downright bizarre at times and can take away from the performance.
During the package before Meryl and Maks freestyle there was one very telling moment. Maks moved close to Meryl, held her head with his hands, looked at her and said "we could stand, yeah. and this is more powerful than anything you'll do". It was quite a moment and pretty much summed up their relationship as dancing partners. I think that the viewers just fell in love with Meryl the in same way they did with Kellie Pickler two seasons ago, especially after both women did stunning freestyles in the Finals.
post #5524 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'm curious if I missed anything much on GMA. At the start of the second hour on the west coast, the show broke away for a live speech by President Obama on the problems with the VA. The special report ran about 20 minutes then returned to GMA without any other explanations. So I'd like some fill-in on what happened during the 20 minutes that GMA was preempted.
post #5525 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With season 18 now a wrap, I'd like to ask you out there to respond to the following questions:

1) What celebrity who won the competition was the biggest surprise to win?

2) What celebrity who didn't win was the biggest surprise not to win?

By the way, this applies to all seasons since the show came on the air in summer 2005.
post #5526 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

So I'd like some fill-in on what happened during the 20 minutes that GMA was preempted.

Not sure you missed anything. I fast forwarded through the several hours and found one spot where they were interviewed for a few minutes. Nothing of real note - Maks and Meryl stayed mum. Then at the very end there were ten or fifteen minutes where each couple danced.

I read Peta has been trying everything to get Maks back (I guess they dated for quite a while? - and was using James to make him jealous) and found it funny watching her while they keep pumping Maks and Meryl for details. I also noticed she slapped Meryl's bottom during Meryl and Maks' dance.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5527 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Not sure you missed anything. I fast forwarded through the several hours and found one spot where they were interviewed for a few minutes. Nothing of real note - Maks and Meryl stayed mum. Then at the very end there were ten or fifteen minutes where each couple danced.

I read Peta has been trying everything to get Maks back (I guess they dated for quite a while? - and was using James to make him jealous) and found it funny watching her while they keep pumping Maks and Meryl for details. I also noticed she slapped Meryl's bottom during Meryl and Maks' dance.

With Peta, sometimes you wonder about how much of her presentation is just part of the image and how much is a very beautiful girl with some seriously healthy hormones. biggrin.gif
post #5528 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What pro would you like to see win next? A couple of the long timers have been taken care of recently - Karina in season 12, Tony in season 15, Maks in season 18. Cheryl hasn't won since season 3. Edyta never won (she's gone).
post #5529 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I'd like to ask you out there to respond to the following questions:

1) What celebrity who won the competition was the biggest surprise to win?

2) What celebrity who didn't win was the biggest surprise not to win?

1. Helio Castroneves | Donny Osmond | Donald Driver (in order)
  2. Katherine Jenkins | Stacy Keibler | Mel B | Gilles Marini

| 
|
|
|
post #5530 of 5546 Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

1. Helio Castroneves | Donny Osmond | Donald Driver (in order)
  2. Katherine Jenkins | Stacy Keibler | Mel B | Gilles Marini

Although Donald Driver got better and better in season 14, I was shocked when Katherine Jenkins didn't win. She danced with such skill and elegance throughout that season and was probably the most classically beautiful celeb to ever grace the DWTS ballroom floor. She and Mark should have holding the glittering matzoh ball trophy at the end.
post #5531 of 5546 Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Agreed. Erin was very good and had a knack for asking the embarrassing questions that the viewers really wanted to ask themselves but in a way that, at times, was hilarious. Her exchanges with Maks, her former partner and, for a while, boy toy were just too funny. I was pleasantly surprised by the new band and also felt that the singers were a step up this season. The use of the studio recordings at times was very effective. There are some things that I could do without. The theme nights add nothing for me and can make the dance routines look silly at times (Disney night). The use of the troupe dancers in the competition routines can cause some loss of focus on the celeb dancer (happened with Meryl once). I know that Maks and, I'm sure some of other pros, have expressed gripes about the music that is used for the dance numbers. I'd be much happier if Tangos, and the other Latin dances were done to music that suits them. Some of the music choices have been downright bizarre at times and can take away from the performance.
During the package before Meryl and Maks freestyle there was one very telling moment. Maks moved close to Meryl, held her head with his hands, looked at her and said "we could stand, yeah. and this is more powerful than anything you'll do". It was quite a moment and pretty much summed up their relationship as dancing partners. I think that the viewers just fell in love with Meryl the in same way they did with Kellie Pickler two seasons ago, especially after both women did stunning freestyles in the Finals.

Plus one.
With Meryl its in the eyes, she knows how to be a partner in the performance, one the ice or the floor.
post #5532 of 5546 Old 05-26-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I've watched Maks and Meryl's freestyle contemporary more times than I can count and always thought that it portrayed two people completely giving themselves to each other. While most of time it's Maks being the protagonist, early in the dance he arches back and Meryl comes and "supports" him just as he does her as the number progresses. It's such an impressive piece of emotional choreography. There are some who feel that DWTS should not have contemporary or lyrical dance routines but how could you watch M&M's freestyle (or Derek and Kellie's) and not want more of that? While certainly not up to SYTYCD technical standards, these styles on DWTS can be as powerful emotionally and can only strengthen the links between the two shows.
post #5533 of 5546 Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

While certainly not up to SYTYCD technical standards, ...
Just a reminder that the new season opener of SYTYCD is this Wednesday 5/28 at 8PM.
post #5534 of 5546 Old 08-13-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi, we're back (soon, actually). The pros for season 19 have been announced, see here:
https://gma.yahoo.com/dancing-with-t...0804.html?vp=1

One of the new pros is Alison Holker, aka Mrs. TWitch (he'll be in the audience a lot this season).

GMA will announce the cast and pairings on September 4.

Season 19 starts on September 15.
post #5535 of 5546 Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if Witney Carson would be one and gone. Apparently not...

| 
|
|
|
post #5536 of 5546 Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Julianne Hough confirmed as new 'Dancing with the Stars' judge for Season 19
Read more at http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/j...pqGRhERHZxO.99

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/j...n-19-16676.php
post #5537 of 5546 Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Great! I rather see her talents dancing but judging is at least something
The few times she guest judged I thought she did a decent job and didn't hold any punches, in fact a bit the opposite......
post #5538 of 5546 Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Great! I rather see her talents dancing but judging is at least something
The few times she guest judged I thought she did a decent job and didn't hold any punches, in fact a bit the opposite......
She said a couple of unfortunate things when she was a judge last season. Hopefully the show runners will address that.
post #5539 of 5546 Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reminder: this Thursday (September 4), the pairings for season 19 will be announced on Good Morning America, barring any major breaking news item preempting it. Also, there are now 13 couples (Sharna Burgess was added late as a pro), which means there will be at least one 'double elimination' during the season which starts Monday, September 15.

Last edited by humdinger70; 09-04-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #5540 of 5546 Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The cast has been announced. The list is here:

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with...t-announcement
post #5541 of 5546 Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is Keo Motsepe the first non-Caucasian competing pro dancer on DWTS?  It's nice to see some -- won't use the d-word -- variety in that department.
post #5542 of 5546 Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Scraping the bottom of the barrel. I only recognized 2 "stars"........
Maybe it is time to retire this show?
post #5543 of 5546 Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Maybe it is time to retire this show?
Actually the ratings rebounded some what last year. They go for different demographics so if you have two that's probably about right. Based on your age there is a good chance I have or haven't ever heard of them... And it's more the journey that keeps the viewers regardless of how famous they are such as J.R. Martinez. The most famous seldom win...

| 
|
|
|

Last edited by Charles R; 09-05-2014 at 05:38 PM.
post #5544 of 5546 Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reminder - this Monday! Season 19 starts.

I also noticed in my guide on TWC that there is a Tuesday results show. Is it just for week 1 or has the Tuesday results show been restored?

EDIT: did a search and it looks like the results show is back for at least the first two weeks.
post #5545 of 5546 Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be great news! I wasn't a fan of the single program week, I hope it stays for the rest of the season.
post #5546 of 5546 Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
That would be great news! I wasn't a fan of the single program week, I hope it stays for the rest of the season.
I believe it's just the first two weeks.

| 
|
|
|
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page