post #5551 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Biggest surprise of the night, Alphonso&Witney with a great jive. I guess some of Wil Smith definitely rubbed off on him.

By the way, he leads with 36 points, Betsey&Toni are last with 20 points. I think either Betsey or Lolo will be leaving tomorrow.

Ribeiro is a victim of the Successful Show/Character curse. All he's known for is his Carlton character. But he was already an accomplished entertainer and dancer before Fresh Prince. He seems like one of the ringers for this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not sure about other markets but in mine(KSTP OTA) I noticed a fair amount of black crush, blacks being too black. In my market this was accompanied with the usual severe macroblocking(due to their minimal bandwidth for ABC HD) so while the dancing was pretty good, the picture quality basically sucked on all but still very well lite static scenes
Wow, Lolo, she was harder on herself than the judges, hope she learns to be easier on herself in this competition and starts to have a little fun....
post #5553 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I haven't watched the premiere yet, but I did see the opening.  Instead of the order of their dances in the premiere, the telephone numbers for voting were assigned alphabetically by the celebrities’ first names.  That's, well, different.

Quote:
Biggest surprise of the night, Alphonso&Witney with a great jive. I guess some of Wil Smith definitely rubbed off on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Ribeiro ... was already an accomplished entertainer and dancer before Fresh Prince.
Indeed, Alfonso Ribeiro used to show off dance moves all the time on "Silver Spoons."  That was before "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and "In the House."

Last edited by dattier; 09-16-2014 at 07:45 AM.
post #5554 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Something I didn't mention in my prior post.

You may have noticed that the use of the off-screen voice of the show, Alan Dedicoat, was minimized. The only time you heard his voice was announcing the judges names (without the 'Will the judges please reveal their scores?" comment). He also wasn't used to announce "Dancing the <dance name>, <celebrity name> and his/her partner <professional name>". The type of dance was shown in a pop-up along with the couple's phone number.

I'm taking it that due to the number of competitors (13) this season, they cut the usual announcements to save time. (Even cut out a commentary by Bruno after a dance completed to go to a commercial. They had never done that before if I remember correctly) The show runners have been sticklers about finishing the show in the allotted time - unlike Fox which has allowed American Idol (or whatever reality show running) to run long into the 10:00 PM hour.

Hopefully, as they move along and the number of competing couples drop down, the announcements by Alan will return.

Last edited by humdinger70; 09-16-2014 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fixed spelling of announcer name
post #5555 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
No one else mentioned the return of a live band? Albeit not Harold Wheeler
post #5556 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No one else mentioned the return of a live band? Albeit not Harold Wheeler
Same group as last season (Ray Chew Live). As well as the return of Erin Andrews.
post #5557 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully, as they move along and the number of competing couples drop down, the announcements by Alan will return.
I'd rather see "Argentine" and "Smirnoff" on the screen spelled right than hear them through the speakers pronounced wrong.

Getting opinions and scores from four judges must also strain the time budget.

Now to get away and watch my recording of last night's show.
post #5558 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
After the brilliance of last season (especiallyMery/Maks andAmy/Derek), I wasn't sure about how the new season would unfold. I was pleasantly surprised however. There was some dancing potential among the celebs and the entertainment value of the opener was quite good. One bad move: the lack of the Brit announcer introducing the numbers. Not a good decision. Tom was sharp as always and Erin was her goofy and very funny self again. I really enjoy her sky box interviews because you never know what she's going to blurt out. The most gratifying surprise was Randy Couture. His foxtrot with Karina was really quite good. He looked pretty smooth on the floor. Karina did an excellent job of teaching/choreographing and it looks like she has some raw material to work with. If Randy can hold up on the up tempo numbers he could last a while. A lot of the Meryl/Maks shippers were hoping that they would dance on last night's show. There was, IMHO, no chance of that. It's never happened before and would have overshadowed the new season and its premiere but the shippers couldn't see that. Some of them are still so wrapped up in their Meryl/Maks fantasies that reality is not a factor for them.
post #5559 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty good results show with a not unexpected elimination. The highlight was Mandy Moore's routine for the women pros to open the show. It was outstanding and absolutely red hot.
post #5560 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
A lot of the Meryl/Maks shippers were hoping that they would dance on last night's show. There was, IMHO, no chance of that.
There wouldn't have been time for it anyway; perhaps on the results show Tuesday, but then all the other reasons against the possibility come into play.

Lolo Jones's elimination was no surprise, but it's unfortunate for Keo Motsepe.  He'll be dancing with the troupe for the rest of the season but I hope he gets to choreograph some of those dances as well; it would be interesting to see the work there of someone from elsewhere other than North America or Europe or Australia.

I hope the stagehand who had the bright idea to secure Betsey Johnson's boa to the rack without checking first about how it was supposed to be placed gets identified and appropriately disciplined.
post #5561 of 5564 Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
There wouldn't have been time for it anyway; perhaps on the results show Tuesday, but then all the other reasons against the possibility come into play.

Lolo Jones's elimination was no surprise, but it's unfortunate for Keo Motsepe. He'll be dancing with the troupe for the rest of the season but I hope he gets to choreograph some of those dances as well; it would be interesting to see the work there of someone from elsewhere other than North America or Europe or Australia.

I hope the stagehand who had the bright idea to secure Betsey Johnson's boa to the rack without checking first about how it was supposed to be placed gets identified and appropriately disciplined.
Hi. Sorry I'm late but it's been so hot and muggy out here that I am tired and drained by day's end.

So with that said, the results came pretty much as I expected with Betsey&Toni and LoLo&Keo in the 'in jeopardy' group, along with Lea&Artem and Michael&Emma. Lea and Michael got saved and the couple out - Lolo&Keo.

The voting audience forgave Betsey because the prop malfunction with the boa was clearly not her fault; Lolo just missed her steps completely and it cost her.

By the way, Alan's voice did open the show, so I'm guessing his voice-overs will be used next week (the video packages will be shorter because they don't have to do the pro/celeb meetup stuff of week 1) with the 12 remaining couples.
post #5562 of 5564 Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The voting audience forgave Betsey because the prop malfunction with the boa was clearly not her fault; Lolo just missed her steps completely and it cost her.
Lolo's presentation after the mishaps probably didn't help her. She was genuinely upset about Keo's first effort on the show going sideways but it didn't completely come across that way. In addition, her ongoing proclamations about her intact virginity and lack of relationships may be getting a bit stale at this point and might have weighed against her.
post #5563 of 5564 Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Lolo's presentation after the mishaps probably didn't help her. She was genuinely upset about Keo's first effort on the show going sideways but it didn't completely come across that way.
I would agree. I think she was just really upset with herself but it may have come across as being sullen and angry at others (e.g. Keo).

Quote:
In addition, her ongoing proclamations about her intact virginity and lack of relationships may be getting a bit stale at this point and might have weighed against her.
Really? I thought she was relatively succinct, stated her case and moved on, compared to some others who go on and on about themselves; e.g. Tavis seems particularly taken with himself, as was Chong (or was it Cheech?). It certainly didn't bother me, but of course everyone's different.

Again, I feel bad for Lolo because I think she just felt her performance reflected negatively on Keo, she wasn't blaming anyone but herself.
post #5564 of 5564 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know, Keo could follow in the same path as Peta did a few seasons ago (first time out was first eliminated, next season she won the mirror ball, partnered with Donald Driver).
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page