Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 188 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5611 of 5617 Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm really not fond of the use of the previous show's judge scores as well as the previous show's audience vote.

Two cycles ago, or whenever they first dropped the results shows, elimination was based on the previous show's audience vote and the current show's judge scores, so even the couple with the lowest audience vote still might have had a chance.  But under this system, and this is the second or third cycle they've used it, the couple to be eliminated is determined (though undisclosed) at the start of the show, and one couple have been rehearsing all week and will be dancing that night for nothing.  Sometimes they do their best work of the season, all for nothing.

The winner of this cycle is already determined by last night's judge scores and last night's vote, so none of tonight's dances count, unless they're bending the procedure and including tonight's judge scores into the calculation.

Another thing that bugs me: the use of the word "jeopardy."  The non-losing couples in the final three of each elimination are pretty much random choices and could well include the couple with the highest combined score.  Also, I can't possibly imagine that hearing "you're in jeopardy" before they dance can have a positive effect on that night's performance.  Instead of "you're in jeopardy" the host should say something less ominous, like "you'll find out later" or "we'll tell you later."

I've not watched my recording yet, and because of the interruption with the news from Ferguson I'll probably catch it from VOD instead, but Humdinger70 says Mota and Hough were eliminated, so it's down to Parrish and Chmerkovskiy, Ribeiro and Carson, and Robertson and Ballas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5617 Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
I'm really not fond of the use of the previous show's judge scores as well as the previous show's audience vote.

Two cycles ago, or whenever they first dropped the results shows, elimination was based on the previous show's audience vote and the current show's judge scores, so even the couple with the lowest audience vote still might have had a chance. But under this system, and this is the second or third cycle they've used it, the couple to be eliminated is determined (though undisclosed) at the start of the show, and one couple have been rehearsing all week and will be dancing that night for nothing. Sometimes they do their best work of the season, all for nothing.

The winner of this cycle is already determined by last night's judge scores and last night's vote, so none of tonight's dances count, unless they're bending the procedure and including tonight's judge scores into the calculation.

Another thing that bugs me: the use of the word "jeopardy." The non-losing couples in the final three of each elimination are pretty much random choices and could well include the couple with the highest combined score. Also, I can't possibly imagine that hearing "you're in jeopardy" before they dance can have a positive effect on that night's performance. Instead of "you're in jeopardy" the host should say something less ominous, like "you'll find out later" or "we'll tell you later."

I've not watched my recording yet, and because of the interruption with the news from Ferguson I'll probably catch it from VOD instead, but Humdinger70 says Mota and Hough were eliminated, so it's down to Parrish and Chmerkovskiy, Ribeiro and Carson, and Robertson and Ballas.
Not quite true. Tonight, one more round of dancing and those scores from the judges will be added to last night's judges scores and then the placements will be recalculated with last night's audience vote and two nights of judges scores.

By the way, at the very end, Tom announced that due to the news interruption, which delayed the start of the show on the east coast, eastern time zone viewers only had 45 minutes after the show to get their votes in. Not applicable to rest of country. Reality does intervene unexpectedly sometimes.

The 'jeopardy' thing is dramatic license, to build tension for the performing couples. You have to listen to Tom's announcement, because he does sometimes say that 'though not necessarily the bottom two, one of these couples had the lowest combined score and will be eliminated right now'. Sometimes the last two standing ARE the bottom two and he will say so.

I don't know if that's what they do on the 'mother ship' show in England (Strictly Come Dancing), but the show runners probably used that format in our version to keep things consistent.

Last edited by humdinger70; 11-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.
post #5613 of 5617 Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Now, it's really all over.

Grand finale with lots of singing and dancing. Although the first two eliminated couples (Lolo&Keo and Tavis&Sharna) didn't dance.

Funny stuff - including outtakes from the dress rehearsals (ABC, please figure a way to air those, uncensored) and Emma's inadvertent crotch grab of Michael during their encore. Almost gave both Tom and Erin heart issues.

And a big oopsie from Jennifer Hudson. Forgot she was lip-syncing and moved away from the mike, not singing, while the recorded track with her singing went on.

But anyway, onto the actual final dances - just like last season, they had the 24-hour fusion challenge. I'll spare you the details, all three couples got perfect scores of 40. So the final judges scores were: Alfonso&Witney - 120, Sadie&Mark - 118, Janel&Val - 117.

Third place - Janel&Val, Second place - Sadie&Mark.

And your new champions (Tom told him his long wait was over) - Alfonso&Witney.

Lots of outsiders happy - Jimmy Kimmel (who predicted Alfonso would win back in September), Wil Smith (Alfonso's friend), Nigel Lythgoe (SYTYCD show-runner - Witney is the first SYTYCD alum to win DWTS).

Starting in March 2015 - the 10th anniversary of the show, so expect some surprises.

See you next year.

Last edited by humdinger70; 11-26-2014 at 01:35 AM.
post #5614 of 5617 Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
post #5615 of 5617 Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Tonight, one more round of dancing and those scores from the judges will be added to last night's judges scores and then the placements will be recalculated with last night's audience vote and two nights of judges scores.
Yes, and that was good, but we viewers didn't know that for sure when I posted.
Quote:
By the way, at the very end, Tom announced that due to the news interruption, which delayed the start of the show on the east coast, eastern time zone viewers only had 45 minutes after the show to get their votes in.
It also applied in the Central Zone; but why didn't they just keep the lines open another fifteen minutes?
Quote:
The 'jeopardy' thing is dramatic license, ...
It's a melodramatic way to take license.
Quote:
You have to listen to Tom's announcement, because he does sometimes say that 'though not necessarily the bottom two, one of these couples had the lowest combined score and will be eliminated right now'. Sometimes the last two standing ARE the bottom two and he will say so.
Sometimes the cohost says it, and sometimes neither of them says whether the last two waiting are the bottom two or "not necessarily the bottom two."
post #5616 of 5617 Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
Yes, and that was good, but we viewers didn't know that for sure when I posted.
I'm a viewer and have known it for years. Regarding the bottom two I have known that even longer...
post #5617 of 5617 Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'm a viewer and have known it for years.
That's interesting, because it didn't apply until the weekly results shows were dropped about three cycles ago.
Quote:
Regarding the bottom two I have known that even longer...
We all have known that.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page