Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 188 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5611 of 5626 Old 11-25-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm really not fond of the use of the previous show's judge scores as well as the previous show's audience vote.

Two cycles ago, or whenever they first dropped the results shows, elimination was based on the previous show's audience vote and the current show's judge scores, so even the couple with the lowest audience vote still might have had a chance.  But under this system, and this is the second or third cycle they've used it, the couple to be eliminated is determined (though undisclosed) at the start of the show, and one couple have been rehearsing all week and will be dancing that night for nothing.  Sometimes they do their best work of the season, all for nothing.

The winner of this cycle is already determined by last night's judge scores and last night's vote, so none of tonight's dances count, unless they're bending the procedure and including tonight's judge scores into the calculation.

Another thing that bugs me: the use of the word "jeopardy."  The non-losing couples in the final three of each elimination are pretty much random choices and could well include the couple with the highest combined score.  Also, I can't possibly imagine that hearing "you're in jeopardy" before they dance can have a positive effect on that night's performance.  Instead of "you're in jeopardy" the host should say something less ominous, like "you'll find out later" or "we'll tell you later."

I've not watched my recording yet, and because of the interruption with the news from Ferguson I'll probably catch it from VOD instead, but Humdinger70 says Mota and Hough were eliminated, so it's down to Parrish and Chmerkovskiy, Ribeiro and Carson, and Robertson and Ballas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 5626 Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
I'm really not fond of the use of the previous show's judge scores as well as the previous show's audience vote.

Two cycles ago, or whenever they first dropped the results shows, elimination was based on the previous show's audience vote and the current show's judge scores, so even the couple with the lowest audience vote still might have had a chance. But under this system, and this is the second or third cycle they've used it, the couple to be eliminated is determined (though undisclosed) at the start of the show, and one couple have been rehearsing all week and will be dancing that night for nothing. Sometimes they do their best work of the season, all for nothing.

The winner of this cycle is already determined by last night's judge scores and last night's vote, so none of tonight's dances count, unless they're bending the procedure and including tonight's judge scores into the calculation.

Another thing that bugs me: the use of the word "jeopardy." The non-losing couples in the final three of each elimination are pretty much random choices and could well include the couple with the highest combined score. Also, I can't possibly imagine that hearing "you're in jeopardy" before they dance can have a positive effect on that night's performance. Instead of "you're in jeopardy" the host should say something less ominous, like "you'll find out later" or "we'll tell you later."

I've not watched my recording yet, and because of the interruption with the news from Ferguson I'll probably catch it from VOD instead, but Humdinger70 says Mota and Hough were eliminated, so it's down to Parrish and Chmerkovskiy, Ribeiro and Carson, and Robertson and Ballas.
Not quite true. Tonight, one more round of dancing and those scores from the judges will be added to last night's judges scores and then the placements will be recalculated with last night's audience vote and two nights of judges scores.

By the way, at the very end, Tom announced that due to the news interruption, which delayed the start of the show on the east coast, eastern time zone viewers only had 45 minutes after the show to get their votes in. Not applicable to rest of country. Reality does intervene unexpectedly sometimes.

The 'jeopardy' thing is dramatic license, to build tension for the performing couples. You have to listen to Tom's announcement, because he does sometimes say that 'though not necessarily the bottom two, one of these couples had the lowest combined score and will be eliminated right now'. Sometimes the last two standing ARE the bottom two and he will say so.

I don't know if that's what they do on the 'mother ship' show in England (Strictly Come Dancing), but the show runners probably used that format in our version to keep things consistent.

Last edited by humdinger70; 11-25-2014 at 11:09 AM.
post #5613 of 5626 Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now, it's really all over.

Grand finale with lots of singing and dancing. Although the first two eliminated couples (Lolo&Keo and Tavis&Sharna) didn't dance.

Funny stuff - including outtakes from the dress rehearsals (ABC, please figure a way to air those, uncensored) and Emma's inadvertent crotch grab of Michael during their encore. Almost gave both Tom and Erin heart issues.

And a big oopsie from Jennifer Hudson. Forgot she was lip-syncing and moved away from the mike, not singing, while the recorded track with her singing went on.

But anyway, onto the actual final dances - just like last season, they had the 24-hour fusion challenge. I'll spare you the details, all three couples got perfect scores of 40. So the final judges scores were: Alfonso&Witney - 120, Sadie&Mark - 118, Janel&Val - 117.

Third place - Janel&Val, Second place - Sadie&Mark.

And your new champions (Tom told him his long wait was over) - Alfonso&Witney.

Lots of outsiders happy - Jimmy Kimmel (who predicted Alfonso would win back in September), Wil Smith (Alfonso's friend), Nigel Lythgoe (SYTYCD show-runner - Witney is the first SYTYCD alum to win DWTS).

Starting in March 2015 - the 10th anniversary of the show, so expect some surprises.

See you next year.

Last edited by humdinger70; 11-26-2014 at 01:35 AM.
post #5614 of 5626 Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
post #5615 of 5626 Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Tonight, one more round of dancing and those scores from the judges will be added to last night's judges scores and then the placements will be recalculated with last night's audience vote and two nights of judges scores.
Yes, and that was good, but we viewers didn't know that for sure when I posted.
Quote:
By the way, at the very end, Tom announced that due to the news interruption, which delayed the start of the show on the east coast, eastern time zone viewers only had 45 minutes after the show to get their votes in.
It also applied in the Central Zone; but why didn't they just keep the lines open another fifteen minutes?
Quote:
The 'jeopardy' thing is dramatic license, ...
It's a melodramatic way to take license.
Quote:
You have to listen to Tom's announcement, because he does sometimes say that 'though not necessarily the bottom two, one of these couples had the lowest combined score and will be eliminated right now'. Sometimes the last two standing ARE the bottom two and he will say so.
Sometimes the cohost says it, and sometimes neither of them says whether the last two waiting are the bottom two or "not necessarily the bottom two."
post #5616 of 5626 Old 11-26-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post
Yes, and that was good, but we viewers didn't know that for sure when I posted.
I'm a viewer and have known it for years. Regarding the bottom two I have known that even longer...
post #5617 of 5626 Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'm a viewer and have known it for years.
That's interesting, because it didn't apply until the weekly results shows were dropped about three cycles ago.
Quote:
Regarding the bottom two I have known that even longer...
We all have known that.
post #5618 of 5626 Old 12-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like Len Goodman leaving the judges table after this springs 20th edition. Will remain on Strictly Come Dancing

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/_judge_l...ce_him-2014-12

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s92/dan...oXSSbIll08mfsh

Head judge Len Goodman will be leaving "Dancing With the Stars" after the show's upcoming 20th Season.
Goodman announced the news in an interview with Digital Spy, saying he would be devoting his time to his duties judging the dancing competition show "Strictly Come Dancing" in the U.K. as well as spending time with his family after next season of "DWTS."

Last edited by osu1991; 12-08-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #5619 of 5626 Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night former DWTS pro Anna Trebunskaya had a bit part in HBO's The Newsroom as a ticket agent.

post #5620 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And another loss. Effective immediately, Cheryl Burke is going to NBC.

http://www.people.com/article/dwts-cheryl-burke-abc
post #5621 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IMNSHO, maybe season 20 might be the time to wind things down and move on. This show lasted far longer (and still with great audience appeal) than anybody dreamed of (sorta like the Mars Rovers or the Energizer bunny - keep going on and on and on).

What do you think?
post #5622 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
IMNSHO, maybe season 20 might be the time to wind things down and move on. This show lasted far longer (and still with great audience appeal) than anybody dreamed of (sorta like the Mars Rovers or the Energizer bunny - keep going on and on and on).

What do you think?
As much as I liked the show in the past, and still like it now to a lesser degree, I might agree with you.
It seems like something must be going on with the show with the way the producers seem to keep changing things lately and with Len going(probably my favorite judge) and now another longtime cast member leaving, it's like people fleeing a sinking ship
The producers keep chasing the younger crowd, which if my kids are any indication, they still aren't interested, and the changes are probably alienating the older core audience. Too bad TV has such a disdain for the older audience, I don't think it was always this way but maybe I'm wrong...
post #5623 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The last two seasons the ratings have gone up... not down (especially the 18-45) which is amazing considering the overall trend in viewing. So it ain't going anywhere for at least a while.

With at least a 50% change of cast per season they have proven they can maintain the show's mantra season after season. And to a degree change only brings increased interest. Sure we all have our favorite pros and would hate to see them go but at the same time it's interesting to see if the new blood can make the grade. Or perhaps even influence it as Allison Holker attempted to do last season not so successfully. I was curious if Witney could come up with interesting/challenging choreography all season. Which I think she did and it was refreshing seeing her win.

I'm not sure how the show creates its vibe but it certainly must help the ratings. One gets the (distinct) impression they really do enjoy each other and it's a weekly party they don't want to miss. As long as they don't over play the we are involved "love interest" card too often (looking at two dancing brothers ) there is enough goodwill to keep it going regardless of the "stars"

So far I think they have done a good job keeping its traditions and freshening it just enough that it isn't stale. If they go too far either way I could see the ratings taking a hit. Now do I enjoy it was much as the first few seasons to some degree yes. Although as I noted earlier we hardly ever play back a performance after its done which back in the day wasn't unusual.
post #5624 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
It might be more me than the dancing itself but I realized the other day I have only "rewound" one performance this season and watched it again. Back in the day we would re-watch quite a few of the routines. I hope Marilyn (for those who watched "So You Think You Can Dance") rather Witney wins just to see her win. My favorite was Bethany and best dancer I would have to go with Janel although I'll probably pick Alfonso for the win.

• 1) Summer 2005 - Kelly Monaco & Alec Mazo
  • 2) Winter 2006 - Drew Lachey & Cheryl Burke
  • 3) Fall 2006 - Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke
  • 4) Spring 2007 - Apolo Anton Ohno & Julianne Hough
  • 5) Fall 2007 - Hélio Castroneves & Julianne Hough
  • 6) Spring 2008 - Kristi Yamaguchi & Mark Ballas
  • 7) Fall 2008 - Brooke Burke & Derek Hough
  • 8) Spring 2009 - Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas
  • 9) Fall 2009 - Donny Osmond & Kym Johnson
  • 10) Spring 2010 - Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough
  • 11) Fall 2010 - Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough
  • 12) Spring 2011 - Hines Ward & Kym Johnson
  • 13) Fall 2011 - J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnoff
  • 14) Spring 2012 - Donald Driver & Peta Murgatroyd
  • 15) Fall 2012 - Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani
  • 16) Spring 2013 - Kellie Pickler & Derek Hough
  • 17) Fall 2013 - Amber Riley & Derek Hough
  • 18) Spring 2014 - Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Anyone have a all-time favorite? I might have to go with Kellie Pickler... best dancer?..
Wow, didn't realize there had been so many season since I quit the show (I've seen 3 through 10. Maybe bits and pieces of 15 too). Would have guessed 4-5 seasons more, but not 8. But then again, that's a significant part of why I quit watching in the first place. Viewer fatigue, too much of a time commitment, too much filler that I just didn't have enough motivation to fast forward thru in order to get to the good parts.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #5625 of 5626 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cheryl announced she was done, the day after the finale.
I watch the UK and Australian versions via a vpn, along with the US show. I still enjoy the show and like to see new additions to the US pros since it runs twice a year, Strictly and DWTS Australia only run once a year. Strictly just started really changing their pro lineup this year and Australia has been making changes the last few years too. I liked that the Aussie version never had a results show and was glad when the US got rid of it too. I wish the BBC would do the same, as they didn't have a results show for Strictly until a few years ago.
post #5626 of 5626 Old Today, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Cheryl announced she was done, the day after the finale.
I watch the UK and Australian versions via a vpn, along with the US show. I still enjoy the show and like to see new additions to the US pros since it runs twice a year, Strictly and DWTS Australia only run once a year. Strictly just started really changing their pro lineup this year and Australia has been making changes the last few years too. I liked that the Aussie version never had a results show and was glad when the US got rid of it too. I wish the BBC would do the same, as they didn't have a results show for Strictly until a few years ago.
There had been talk about cutting DWTS from two cycles per year to one. That change did wonders for The Bachelor. But ABC obviously likes leaving things alone here. By the way, has Nigel Lythgoe said anything (even one shout out) for one of his SYTYCD alum winning DWTS?
Reply HDTV Programming