post #541 of 5538 Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Personally, I'm surprised that Samantha hasn't been jettisoned from the show by now. There's no reason Tom couldn't carry this show as host all by himself.

They have to go with the man and woman hosting duo. It's part of the show's aura. After all, it is a show with male and female couples dancing. It's a balance thing. But that doesn't mean that she shouldn't be replaced.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5538 Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Personally, I'm surprised that Samantha hasn't been jettisoned from the show by now. There's no reason Tom couldn't carry this show as host all by himself.

I have to agree with you and Larry, Irmo. Samantha is the weakest part of the show, and has been for the last several seasons (we can't remember if she was on the initial telecast or not). She has zero wit and just doesn't have the chops for this job. My wife and I cannot understand why she's still there and hasn't been replaced already. Motherhood would give her a good "opportunity" to bow out (with a gentle shove from the producers).

On the other hand, Tom Bergeron has to have one of the quickest wits I've ever seen. He never fails to come up with the perfect quip right off the top of his head. I don't watch a lot of reality shows, well this is the only one actually, but he's so smooth, it's hard to believe there's anyone who could do it better. That's not really an easy job, to keep things flowing and the audience interested. Ryan Seacrest probably has a poster of Tom on his wall like kids do with their sports heroes.
post #543 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

From the other thread the problem was a router failure just before prime time. Although it does seem an irony that it got 3000 miles across country, I doubt the poor souls who had to deal with the last minute change of plans see it that way.

Yes, silly me - god forbid they have redundancy - if I can have redundant routers and isp circuits in my house, I guess thats just too much to ask for ABC

Of course, I was with the the person last month that had done most of the design and installation oversight on the Master Antenna @ the Empire State Building as well as WABC-DT's backup @ 4 Times Square - and the 4 Times Square facility has better coverage than the Empire State Building (Remember that most all the ATSC for NYC was on top of the World Trade Center except for one on the Empire State Building Master Antenna - so it really wasn't designed to handle all those signals).

So of course, the question comes up - why not use the Aux @ 4 Times Square for the Main and Empire for the Aux?

Answer: Because the lease @ 4 Times Square goes up up if it is used for the Main Site instead of the Aux - and ABC doesn't want to pay the higher price - even though the coverage is better
post #544 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I have to agree with you and Larry, Irmo.

Hurts, huh?

Quote:

Samantha is the weakest part of the show, and has been for the last several seasons (we can't remember if she was on the initial telecast or not).

I'm almost certain she was. My wife and I have been watching from the beginning and I can't remember a time when we weren't annoyed by her hosting "performance."

Quote:

She has zero wit and just doesn't have the chops for this job. My wife and I cannot understand why she's still there and hasn't been replaced already. Motherhood would give her a good "opportunity" to bow out (with a gentle shove from the producers).

Yep, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. Maybe because they have a small "hit" on their hands, ABC doesn't want to mess with a good thing.

Quote:

On the other hand, Tom Bergeron has to have one of the quickest wits I've ever seen. He never fails to come up with the perfect quip right off the top of his head. I don't watch a lot of reality shows, well this is the only one actually, but he's so smooth, it's hard to believe there's anyone who could do it better. That's not really an easy job, to keep things flowing and the audience interested. Ryan Seacrest probably has a poster of Tom on his wall like kids do with their sports heroes.

Tom's an old pro, I mentioned Hollywood Squares and AFHV, but that's only his recent work. I think he's kinda corny sometimes, but he's definitely a likeable guy.
post #545 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hurts, huh? .

Quote:

I'm almost certain she was. My wife and I have been watching from the beginning and I can't remember a time when we weren't annoyed by her hosting "performance."

Funny, the only person I remember from the first season (broadcast here in AMERICA TVOD not Pluto, or Rigiel XII ) is Kelly but my wife recalls that Sam wasn't the co host. There was a black chic co hosting. Not sure

Larry

post #546 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Funny, the only person I remember from the first season (broadcast here in AMERICA TVOD not Pluto, or Rigiel XII ) is Kelly

Well, I remember J Peterman too, but point definitely taken.

Quote:

but my wife recalls that Sam wasn't the co host. There was a black chic co hosting. Not sure

Your wife is right and I'm not. Apparently a "Lisa Canning" hosted the initial season with Tom.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134114/
post #547 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

Yes, silly me - god forbid they have redundancy - if I can have redundant routers and isp circuits in my house, I guess thats just too much to ask for ABC

I've never worked at a facility that had redundant video routers. Often there are multiple frames in different areas tied together, but a common control system can bring them all down at the same time. Within the router there are redundant elements like power supplies, controller boards and main/backup servers for the control system. A more common problem is outgrowing the amount of inputs and outputs.

While the hardware has increased in reliability, I would say that has been offset by the problems in software and firmware. Resetting or power recycling equipment seems to have become a way of life. Equipment didn't suddenly become stupid in the "good ol days", they just died.
post #548 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny, the only person I remember from the first season (broadcast here in AMERICA TVOD not Pluto, or Rigiel XII ) is Kelly but my wife recalls that Sam wasn't the co host. There was a black chic co hosting. Not sure

The original co-host on the first season was Lisa Canning. IMO she was better. Like American Idol, its first season (in the US) was a summer replacement series.
post #549 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..."Lisa Canning" hosted the initial season with Tom.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134114/

Now I remember her.

She was very emotional, always choked up and teary eyed when the star got the boot. The same way any Miss. America acts when the crown's placed on her head. Very sappy.

Larry

post #550 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

They have to go with the man and woman hosting duo. It's part of the show's aura. After all, it is a show with male and female couples dancing. It's a balance thing. But that doesn't mean that she shouldn't be replaced.

Yeah, I think they definately need a pair, one up front with the judges and one backstage with the contestants, so mixed doubles makes a lot of sense.

Even _America's Ballroom Challenge_ uses a mixed pair with Marilu Henner and Tony (can't recall his last name) the last couple of seasons and with Suzanne Sommers (IIRC or was it Sandy Duncan? damn I hate this CRS disease) in the previous seasons.

Marilu has expressed an interest in dancing on DWTS so perhaps she could use a dancing spot as an entre to the hosting gig.
post #551 of 5538 Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I remember her.

She was very emotional, always choked up and teary eyed when the star got the boot. The same way any Miss. America acts when the crown's placed on her head. Very sappy.

I vaguely remember her now that you say that, but I'm still drawing a blank on her face. Strangely, none of the wikipedia and imdb pages I looked at featured anything close enough that I would recognize. It's weird.

Also strange is that in doing some reading up on Samantha, I discovered that she also hosted "the next Joe Millionaire." We actually used to watch that too, but I don't remember her being nearly so bubbleheaded there. Maybe it was more scripted.
post #552 of 5538 Old 04-16-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Now don't get mad .... but have you ever noticed...
As hot as Cheryl is... without her makeup... during the rehearsals... from that certain camera angle... with those freckles... she looks just like Alfalfa.

Clyde cracks me up. Once again he had that arm and hand up in the sky. He thinks he's still playing defense against Jordan.

Was that wax thing necessary? I could understand if it were the star...

Joey was good but I couldn't get past his look--- like he just jumped over the deli counter after slicing some capicola, and now he's dancing!

Funny thing about Cliff is that deep down, he thinks he's Gene Kelly reincarnated but that's ok, good for him.

Lailavery good, second best of the night. Funny bit with her fiancé.

Apolo and Juliane were better. Excellent. The only thing missing from his performance is his lack of sexual passion with Juliane during the dance. She's got it but he's almost aloof towards her.

Billy Raycya!

Larry

post #553 of 5538 Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apolo and Juliane were better. Excellent. The only thing missing from his performance is his lack of sexual passion with Juliane during the dance. She's got it but he's almost aloof towards her.

If they have a brother/sister kind of relationship, he should consider incest.
post #554 of 5538 Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Forgive me, but...

CLYDE! MUST! GO! ... NOW!!
post #555 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now don't get mad .... but have you ever noticed...
As hot as Cheryl is... without her makeup... during the rehearsals... from that certain camera angle... with those freckles... she looks just like Alfalfa.

Wanna fight?

Quote:

Clyde cracks me up. Once again he had that arm and hand up in the sky. He thinks he's still playing defense against Jordan.

Yep, he clearly the worst. I think he's gone, Billy Ray will likely get more votes due to his Hanna Montana connection. The average DWTS watcher prolly doesn't even know who Clyde is.

I did think his "money grab" trip to China was pretty funny in that they made it out sound like some type of important thing.

Quote:

I get the same impression. She is absolutely "smokin' hot" especially with that outfit she had on last night, so why the lack of passion? Perhaps Ono is gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seriously, my wife noticed a sparkling ring on her wedding finger last night. Maybe she's engaged.
post #556 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Holy moly was she smokin in that outfit.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #557 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post

Holy moly was she smokin in that outfit.

Pics? For those of us who don't watch the show, we count on you fine people to keep us up-to-date on such matters...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #558 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Pics? For those of us who don't watch the show, we count on you fine people to keep us up-to-date on such matters...

Yes, please!

I saw the show and I still thought, "I hope some AVSer got a capture of that shot..."

There were some angles where they zoomed in our her rear and...well, let's just say "smokin' hot" might be an understatement in this case.
post #559 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Juliane could have melted steel last night. She looked insatiable, a sexual dynamo... and Apolo? He looked like he was doing a performance of Disney on Ice. Their dancing was great but their chemistry was totally off. It was like Pat Boone meets Jenna Jameson.

Larry

post #560 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

LL - Read your post above in Bruno's signature style of voice...I think you're channeling him.
post #561 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LL - Read your post above in Bruno's signature style of voice...I think you're channeling him.

Larry

post #562 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Juliane could have melted steel last night. She looked insatiable, a sexual dynamo... and Apolo? He looked like he was doing a performance of Disney on Ice. Their dancing was great but their chemistry was totally off. It was like Pat Boone meets Jenna Jameson.

Whoever hired Julianna deserves a really big bonus!

We've speculated a lot around here about how the celebrity men get better scores than they deserve because of the female pros they dance with. And I think Apolo & Julianna's dance last night was an excellent example of this theory. I felt like Apolo didn't do much better than Ian or Joey, but Julianna was so damn hot that I had trouble watching Apolo even on the third replay when I was specifically trying to watch him.

Is there anything a male pro could do that would get a similar reaction? I don't think so.

I wish Clyde would go home tonight, but I fear that he has enough fans to keep him around. I suspect John is going home tonight, but it's getting harder to call now. At least John hung around long enough that we got to see Edyta wearing that tiny little samba outfit.

There were more directorial/camera goofs last night. I wonder what's going on. I don't remember this many goofs in all the previous seasons combined.
post #563 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Wanna fight?

Yep, he clearly the worst. I think he's gone, Billy Ray will likely get more votes due to his Hanna Montana connection. The average DWTS watcher prolly doesn't even know who Clyde is.

I did think his "money grab" trip to China was pretty funny in that they made it out sound like some type of important thing.

I get the same impression. She is absolutely "smokin' hot" especially with that outfit she had on last night, so why the lack of passion? Perhaps Ono is gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seriously, my wife noticed a sparkling ring on her wedding finger last night. Maybe she's engaged.

Saw her interviewed last night before the show and she said she is indeed engaged...
post #564 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

[/b]

Saw her interviewed last night before the show and she said she is indeed engaged...

Hope she has better luck than most people who marry that young.
post #565 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

<--- Line starts here to be the rebound guy...

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #566 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

There were more directorial/camera goofs last night. I wonder what's going on. I don't remember this many goofs in all the previous seasons combined.

Yep, thanks for bringing that up. I had to miss Cheryl's introduction because somebody goofed up.
post #567 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, thanks for bringing that up. I had to miss Cheryl's introduction because somebody goofed up.

Hey you're right. I didn't realize that was a goof up. I thought I just missed it.

Larry

post #568 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
I don't usually watch this show, but I was doing my taxes last night so I flipped it on as background while 24 was recording and you guys are NOT KIDDING! The tiger girl was definitely smoking . Quite the little task master during the training sessions too. I almost expected her to pull out the whip there... Maybe the problem is that Ono's just not used to being subserviant with the women

ron
post #569 of 5538 Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the May 2007 issue of Stuff magazine today (don't ask, long story). Guess what it's got?

Pictures of Staci Kiebler, Cheryl Burke and... YIKES! Carrie Ann Inaba! No nudity, but hot looking all around!
post #570 of 5538 Old 04-18-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well. Clyde has been told to glide on out of the ballroom (Finally!). He and Heather were in the bottom two.

The surprise look of the night belonged to Edyta when she found out she and John were continuing.

The pained look of the night belonged to Billy Ray when he found out he and Karina were continuing.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page