Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 190 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #5671 of 5698 Old 03-24-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I was relieved that Charlotte McKinney wasn't eliminated, more for Keo Motsepe's sake than hers: it would have been really awful to the first pro out in both of his first and second seasons.  McKinney may have the most dislikers among this season's contestants, but apparently she doesn't have the fewest likers.

The announcer's voice seems to be present only in the prerecorded names of the judges.  What will they do if there's a guest judge?  Well, the upside is that without him only Len Goodman will be uttering "Odjentighn tango" and with Karina Smirnoff not dancing this season even he won't be calling her "Smunnoff."

Final nit: "Working My Way Back to You" is not Motown!  When the Four Seasons recorded it for Philips they weren't even thinking yet about changing labels to MoWest, and when the Spinners recorded it for Atlantic they had long separated from Motown.  Redfoo's father would know.  (In all fairness, only Goodman called it Motown; Bruno Tonioli referred to "Motown style.")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5698 Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A bit off-topic, but, for me, necessary.

Did Jimmy Kimmel make his prediction for who wins for season 20? He was in Austin, TX last week for SXSW and no mention of it. He's back in LA, but on Monday's show, again, no mention. It's possible he did it in the middle of the show somewhere, but I doubt it.

Because he's been so good at it (he's correctly predicted the DWTS winner eight times and all but two of his picks made the finals), he jokingly refers to himself as 'Nostradancemus'. I doubt he would give it up without saying something.

If anybody did see it, please post here in the thread who he picked. Thanks.
post #5673 of 5698 Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I predict Rumor Willis to win

But I'm no Jimmy Kimmel
post #5674 of 5698 Old 03-25-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I did some searching but only found old articles from previous Jimmy Kimmel predictions not sure whats up with that....
post #5675 of 5698 Old 03-30-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello, a belated BUMP post for this week. It's Latin night, which means skimpy costumes galore.

No, I haven't seen or heard anything about Jimmy Kimmel's pick for season 20. I'm starting to think he didn't make one, so I'm going to let it drop.
post #5676 of 5698 Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's an article on emotion and how it's related to DWTS. You can click the link or go to message #49 in the *NEW* HOTP thread for the full text. FYI, it's the *NEW* thread, which has been made a 'sticky' at the top of the forums listing, just like the old one.

Link to article: http://www.tvworthwatching.com/post/...h-Emotion.aspx
post #5677 of 5698 Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi everyone, a belated recap (late wake-up, I got the day off today).

Latin night was sparkly and full of good dancing and bad dancing as well.

Suzanne (at age 68) still has some moves to her.

Riker&Allison (a surprisingly good couple) and Nastia&Derek lead with 34 points, Charlotte&Keo and Patti&Tony trail with 22.

The three couples listed in Jeopardy were: Charlotte&Keo, Chris&Witney and Noah&Sharna. Noah&Sharna were declared safe.

And exiting the show: Charlotte&Keo. (I think Charlotte was clearly headed out sooner or later - the video package showed her constantly checking e-mail instead of practicing).

Remember votes and scores used for elimination purposes are those from last week (Chris&Witney were in last place last week with 21 points, 5 points behind Charlotte&Keo).

Last edited by humdinger70; 03-31-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Fixed last place and second-to-last place couples.
post #5678 of 5698 Old 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Please let that stupid Chris be next. is fifteen minutes were up fourteen minutes ago.
post #5679 of 5698 Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 95
For the first time since season one, I actually changed channels about halfway through the show last night. This cast just isn't doing anything for me.
post #5680 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly BUMP for tonight's show. Week 4 (memorable years).
post #5681 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Why I don't like DWTS as much as I used to:

1) Judge Julianne. She was a great dancer but a boring copycat judge. Trying to out-Carrie Ann, Carrie Ann.

2) Erin is not as good a co-host as Samantha or Brooke. I liked Samantha best.

3) They got rid of the original orchestra and its great singers

4) They got rid of the DWTS theme music

5) They got rid of that British announcer guy

6) Too much ABC/Disney cross-promotion of 'stars' (I know, I know...)

Of course, we still watch - but FF past all the fluff except the dancing.

Last edited by wblynch; 04-07-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #5682 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1. Somewhat agree, but my main problem is I feel her talents are wasted, she was a terrific dancer and I really miss her in that respect.
2. Actually I like Erin best, I liked Brooke before that and was prepared to not like Erin but Erin has proven to be less stiff than Brooke and by far has less if any bad hair days
3. +1
4. +1
5. +1
6. ++1
7.?? +1 but I visit AVS during those times
post #5683 of 5698 Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
7.?? +1 but I visit AVS during those times
LOL

Btw I think Rumer is very attractive. She continues to be my pick to win.
post #5684 of 5698 Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
LOL

Btw I think Rumer is very attractive. She continues to be my pick to win.
+1, Val sure got a winner there, I'd agree with Rumer or possibly the perennial favorite Derek and Nastia who did a tremendous Argentine Tango to which I agree with Bruno deserved a 10!
post #5685 of 5698 Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

3) They got rid of the original orchestra and its great singers

4) They got rid of the DWTS theme music

5) They got rid of that British announcer guy
If they tried any of those in the UK on Strictly (the original DWTS) there would be an open revolution on the streets.

Alan 'Deadly' Dedicoat (who I believe was the announcer on DWTS) is the voice over artist on Strictly (he also does our National Lottery show and pops up on national radio quite frequently, as his background is in radio) He's a legend, and if he left Strictly it would be like the Ravens leaving The Tower of London.

However, Strictly has gone through a process of amping up its production values significantly, and is currently doing very well in the ratings (recovering a lead it had lost at one point to the X Factor)
post #5686 of 5698 Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another belated recap (sorry, but I go to bed pretty soon after watching, and I do watch the DVR version).

It was 'most memorable year' night, and they ranged from last year (2014) for most to all the way to 1973 (Patti Labelle's son's birth). Some were very poignant, some were the typical type.

There were some fun routines, especially Suzanne&Tony's re-creation of the first episode of Three's Company, dancing a foxtrot to the show's theme song. 'Crissy' managed to get her famed snort in (after the dance).

First 10s of the season - Nastia&Derek for their Argentine Tango, Willow&Mark for the Contemporary (based on Hunger Games). Len was his grumpy old self (saying some dances were good, but not good enough). Nastia's Argentine Tango, for example.

In terms of scoring, Willow&Mark lead with 39 (yes, grumpy old Len denied them the perfect score), Chris&Witney trail with 27.

Now down to 10 couples, they had time to do the sets of reveals of safe and 'in jeopardy'. The three couples in jeopardy were Willow&Mark (loved Carrie Ann's reaction when she scored them: "Jeopardy, Shmempardy" ), Riker&Allison and Michael&Peta.

And going home (and to today's GMA): Michael&Peta. (OK, back to work for him to make an NFL team).

Next week is Disney Week.
post #5687 of 5698 Old 04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
Alan 'Deadly' Dedicoat (who I believe was the announcer on DWTS) is the voice over artist on Strictly (he also does our National Lottery show and pops up on national radio quite frequently, as his background is in radio)
And unlike Goodman and Tonioli, Dedicoat can literally phone in his part for DWTS without leaving Britain.  We still hear his voice introducing the judges as they announce their scores.
post #5688 of 5698 Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi. A very belated performance BUMP for tonight's show (I had jury duty today, didn't get selected). It's Disney night.
post #5689 of 5698 Old 04-14-2015, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Recap for yesterday's show. Disney Night wasn't all roses and lollipops. A lot of pain and suffering for the performers. And one couple (Robert&Kym) may have just danced themselves off the show (safe for next week, but it may be the last).

Suzanne&Tony (Suzanne especially) had doubts about doing the dance this week (she was announced as 'in jeopardy'). Riley&Allison did a wicked paso doble with several unique spins and turns.

Rumer&Val did a unique Samba with Rumer as Ursula (the villain from The Little Mermaid), winding up with top scores (10 paddles had Mickey Mouse ears).

In the end, Rumer&Val had highest score with 39. Robert&Kym had lowest score with 24.

In jeopardy were Suzanne&Tony, Chris&Witney and Patti&Artem. Chris&Witney were declared safe.

Going home tonight - Suzanne&Tony.

Things to note: next week is Spring Break Special. Also announced was the return of the Tuesday Night Results show, not knowing when it will start.
post #5690 of 5698 Old 04-14-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Carrie Anne made a nice Jessica Rabbit -- with less cleavage, of course.

I couldn't figure out who Julianne was supposed to be.

Man I wish that bachelpunk Chris was gone.

Riker, Rumer, Willow and Nastia were all outstanding.
post #5691 of 5698 Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Carrie Anne made a nice Jessica Rabbit -- with less cleavage, of course.

I couldn't figure out who Julianne was supposed to be.

Man I wish that bachelpunk Chris was gone.

Riker, Rumer, Willow and Nastia were all outstanding.
Someone at DWTS needs to be Emmy nominated. The White Rabbit costuming and makeup on Mark Ballas was outstanding.
post #5692 of 5698 Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Someone at DWTS needs to be Emmy nominated. The White Rabbit costuming and makeup on Mark Ballas was outstanding.
It was very nicely done. So much so I found it distracting. As was the entire routine. It was very well done however the dancing itself was "over powered" and ended up playing second fiddle.

Seems like Mark is trying to top Derek every week and the production value is overshadowing the choreography. It's a thin line...
post #5693 of 5698 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello, weekly BUMP for tonight's show.

It's Spring Break Special time. Also the return of the team dances.

Tuesday results show coming back, don't know exactly when they start.
post #5694 of 5698 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
.....Tuesday results show coming back, don't know exactly when they start.
Interesting, I for one have really missed Tuesday nights. What I liked about the results show was it gave the pros more time to showcase their talents in longer numbers, as apposed to the somewhat annoying snippets they only get on Monday night. I wonder why they are coming back with it.....ratings must have dropped? or else ABC had nothing else that equaled it for the Tuesday night schedule.
post #5695 of 5698 Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ratings are actually better since getting rid of the results show. It's just a marketing stunt, like last season. They brought it back for a week or two. They are bringing it back starting next week to lead into the quarterfinals and semifinals to give them a few extra performances.
post #5696 of 5698 Old Today, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll do the recap later, but the two shows in the 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM time period just had their season finale's tonight.

So...

Results show returns next Tuesday (and will remain for the remainder of this cycle of DWTS).

Next week will be a double elimination (going from 7 to 5).
post #5697 of 5698 Unread Today, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, recap from last night.

It was 'Spring Break Special' night, so the individual dances were based on that. Plus it was the return of the team dances - Team YOLO vs. Team Trouble.

(YOLO - You Only Live Once)

Len was his old grumpy self and consistently gave a lower mark than the other judges. In the end, Robert&Kym finished last with 28 points for their Jive (but still better than the previous week), Riker&Allison were first with 37 points for their samba.

A mention on Riker&Allison - they hated their initial music assignment because she felt it was too sexually explicit in its lyrics, fortunately a DWTS producer gave them new music. Another issue is that Riker wasn't available on the weekend due to his band commitment. So they only had two days to practice to the new music. Clearly shows these two can work a few miracles.

After the individual dances, as the couples were on the stage standing with their team members, something strange happened. Tom and Erin were announcing results and things were way out of sync. The couples were reacting to the safe/in jeopardy status before you could hear either Tom or Erin actually say the words. This happened all the way through the results and into the Team YOLO video package.

By the way, the couples declared in danger were Robert&Kym, Noah&Sharna, Riker&Allison and Patti&Artem. FYI, I heard the words 'double elimination' and thought there wasn't going to be an elimination that night, but I was wrong.

Back to the team dances. The glitch was fixed and the audio and video were back in sync - words being said matched lip movements)

(I actually viewed it three times trying to get things to sync up, but failed. Can anyone validate that I wasn't the only one to see that glitch?)

Back to the team dances - for Team YOLO, both Nastia and Derek were not there for most of the rehearsals because of their New York commitments. They had to learn things via smartphone. The rehearsals looked like a disaster. Not so for the performance, worked out well and scored 39 points (score added to each couple's score).

Team Trouble had no such issues. Also scored 39 points.

So final judge score numbers - Riker&Allison led with 76 points, Robert&Kym were last with 68 points.

Last two couples standing - Patti&Artem and Robert&Kym. And eliminated were....

Patti&Artem. To the total shock of Kym Johnson - you could see it in her face.

Next week things change:

There will be a double elimination (going from 7 couples down to 5). I think it will finally be over for Robert&Kym.

Also, the return of the Tuesday results show at 8:00 PM. The shows in the Tuesday 8:00 PM hour have their season finales tonight.

And in two weeks from now - it's America's Choice week.

(They're supposed to do the switch-up but I don't know when - or if - they're doing it this season)
post #5698 of 5698 Unread Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
OK, recap from last night.

It was 'Spring Break Special' night, so the individual dances were based on that. Plus it was the return of the team dances - Team YOLO vs. Team Trouble.

(YOLO - You Only Live Once)

Len was his old grumpy self and consistently gave a lower mark than the other judges. In the end, Robert&Kym finished last with 28 points for their Jive (but still better than the previous week), Riker&Allison were first with 37 points for their samba.

A mention on Riker&Allison - they hated their initial music assignment because she felt it was too sexually explicit in its lyrics, fortunately a DWTS producer gave them new music. Another issue is that Riker wasn't available on the weekend due to his band commitment. So they only had two days to practice to the new music. Clearly shows these two can work a few miracles.

After the individual dances, as the couples were on the stage standing with their team members, something strange happened. Tom and Erin were announcing results and things were way out of sync. The couples were reacting to the safe/in jeopardy status before you could hear either Tom or Erin actually say the words. This happened all the way through the results and into the Team YOLO video package.

By the way, the couples declared in danger were Robert&Kym, Noah&Sharna, Riker&Allison and Patti&Artem. FYI, I heard the words 'double elimination' and thought there wasn't going to be an elimination that night, but I was wrong.

Back to the team dances. The glitch was fixed and the audio and video were back in sync - words being said matched lip movements)

(I actually viewed it three times trying to get things to sync up, but failed. Can anyone validate that I wasn't the only one to see that glitch?)

Back to the team dances - for Team YOLO, both Nastia and Derek were not there for most of the rehearsals because of their New York commitments. They had to learn things via smartphone. The rehearsals looked like a disaster. Not so for the performance, worked out well and scored 39 points (score added to each couple's score).

Team Trouble had no such issues. Also scored 39 points.

So final judge score numbers - Riker&Allison led with 76 points, Robert&Kym were last with 68 points.

Last two couples standing - Patti&Artem and Robert&Kym. And eliminated were....

Patti&Artem. To the total shock of Kym Johnson - you could see it in her face.

Next week things change:

There will be a double elimination (going from 7 couples down to 5). I think it will finally be over for Robert&Kym.

Also, the return of the Tuesday results show at 8:00 PM. The shows in the Tuesday 8:00 PM hour have their season finales tonight.

And in two weeks from now - it's America's Choice week.

(They're supposed to do the switch-up but I don't know when - or if - they're doing it this season)
Definitely a glitch in the sync.

I'm not sure what the judges aren't seeing with Nasty/D. Just about every dance looks technically perfect to me, but I'm no expert. That said, Nastia, Rumor, Riker and Willow are very close to the same level. It's going to come down to the wire.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page