Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #5761 of 5784 Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Points (your actual score) are irrelevant only the computed score is of value and defined by their rules. I know you think it should be other wise.
For sure, but it is interesting to note the British parent show Strictly Come Dancing with Len and Bruno has judges uses the jeffj scoring method of giving points i.e. for 3 dancers the first dancer would get 3 points and the last 1.
Quote:
Back to my earlier comment it's about ratings. If the judges' score count "too much" it would reduce the drama to a large degree as well as prevent the typical once a season dramatic the best got voted off. The judges' real purpose by design is to entertain the viewer not determine who wins.
That is the only reason they're doing it. But curiously, I checked the last Strictly season. The highest judge's scoring contestant finished sixth in a "shock" elimination. The lowest scoring couple wasn't eliminated in any of the first 6 eliminations. In equally weighted judges voting, the viewer voting still matters equally as much as it does in the convoluted system they use right now. Clearly the producers over here felt it needed to be dumbed-down for the American viewers.

Last edited by Mr.Nuke; 05-21-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 5784 Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Demi and her other 2 daughters were in the row right in front of Bruce and his wife. Showed them all several times
Yes, you're right. Recap videos shown on Wednesday morning's GMA showed them just one row apart. I stand corrected.

I really don't know if there's any acrimony between Bruce and Demi, but obviously for Rumer's sake, they made peace. And they even did a video together to send their love and congratulations to her, also shown during GMA.
post #5763 of 5784 Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke View Post
Clearly the producers over here felt it needed to be dumbed-down for the American viewers.
I don't feel they dumbed-down the scoring. Rather they simply weighted it more towards the voters (viewers). If you assign points it would be much harder to override the judge's scores. Also I think by nature it's unfair to a large degree. It would often create a much wider gap then there should be since it's not very granular (at all). This season the top two had identical scores when the judges had the option to score them at will. If they were forced to pick one over the other the "loser" would be facing a much higher hill than what the judges felt.

NAS Based DVR | OpenELEC on Chromebox | WMC Adventure | Home Theatre Tweets
120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W | AMD HTPC Build | OpenELEC/Kodi | ReadyNAS DVBLink DVR
post #5764 of 5784 Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Goodman departed on a low note when he made the silly remark that, for what Galloway had done for America, America should give him the mirror ball.

Military accomplishments should get military honors.

Dance trophies are awarded for terpsichorean virtuosity.

Burgess, however, deserves great props for how she worked with Galloway's challenges.

As to the winner, well, I really liked Lynch's dancing, but I'm glad Willis took it.  Chmerkovskiy's been a bridesmaid many times, while it was only Holker's second season; and Lynch already had a reputation as a dancer while this was something new Willis could add to her résumé.
post #5765 of 5784 Old 07-28-2015, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi. I'm back to talk about that show again. Yep, Dancing With The Stars is about 5 weeks or so from its debut for season 21.

We don't know yet which celebrities or which pro dancers will be appearing, but we need to speculate on the judges.

With Len Goodman taking his leave after season 20 (travel between the UK and US to do both versions of the show was finally too much for him), the question is, who replaces him (if he is replaced)?

I have what I believe is a reasonably good choice. This person is available, knows ballroom, and has been a judge of TV dance, and a personality to go with it.

Yes, I'm talking about.... Wait for it....

Mary Murphy! Bringing the hot tamale train (Woo! Woo!) to ABC.

What do you think??
post #5766 of 5784 Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Interesting, I wouldn't be against it. After her departure from SYTYCD she just might be looking for another gig, although sticking with the format of all the other competition programs they might be looking for a rather cranky/stickler British person, which Mary is neither.
post #5767 of 5784 Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
What do you think??
Wrong demographics. They are trying for a younger audience not older.

120" 16x9 | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W | AMD HTPC Build | OpenELEC/Kodi | ReadyNAS DVBLink DVR
post #5768 of 5784 Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Kym Johnson wouldn't be a bad move for the US judges panel too. She is in her 3rd season of judging DWTS Australia and I see Bruno is over there as a guest judge last week for the premiere, replacing Adam Garcia for 4 or 5 weeks until the US and UK series start.
post #5769 of 5784 Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Truthfully if everyone else stays; Bruno, Carrie Ann and Julianne Ann I wonder if they need to add a 4th? It always seemed a bit much to me, I mean it was OK to have a 4th as a guest judge but for day to day it seems to take too much time for everyone to get their point it.....
post #5770 of 5784 Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Season 21 just around the corner. Celebs and their pro partners introduced on Good Morning America on September 2. Season 21 starts on Monday, September 14.

Looks like interesting things will be happening.

http://www.ibtimes.com/dancing-stars...ng-new-2048686
post #5771 of 5784 Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's official. Karina Smirnoff, who took season 20 off (but did appear in the 10th anniversary special) will return for season 21.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/18...ning-season-21
post #5772 of 5784 Old 08-18-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Great! she also helped host the recent Dancesport competition on the CW of all channels glad to see her back dancing.
post #5773 of 5784 Old 08-20-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Worst kept secret in the world that Len Goodman would not be a judge on DWTS after season 20 (the 10 year anniversary). Now it's official.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/19...the-stars-exit

He's one of the main reasons the show has been a success. Some people may be kidding about this, but most of the pro/celebrity couples had one goal in mind. To please Len Goodman and gain his very reserved '10' paddle. Len was the technical master, he was the one who insisted on proper frame work, proper placement of feet, to dance in hold as required, etc. It was understood that the standards might be lowered a bit because of the combination of ballroom pro and celebrity newbie, but once the competition started, it was 'toe the line' or be gone.

He put an air of legitimacy into the competition. Otherwise it might have quickly degenerated into a 'rah rah' type of competition (and judging too).

Len, thanks for all the hard work you put into this.
post #5774 of 5784 Old 08-20-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Even though I don't watch AI I've always equated Len to Simon. It will be interesting to see how DWTS goes after Len leaves, I don't believe AI is doing all that well after Simon left.....
post #5775 of 5784 Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the last few seasons they have left Len's dance style and disciplines behind. Figuring they would make it up in viewers votes. To a degree I miss the stringent standards as it has more and more become a contemporary or freestyle dance contest. Those are fine (and enjoyable) but following the adventure of becoming an overall dancer is a large aspect of its charm.

post #5776 of 5784 Old 08-21-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the last few seasons they have left Len's dance style and disciplines behind. Figuring they would make it up in viewers votes. To a degree I miss the stringent standards as it has more and more become a contemporary or freestyle dance contest. Those are fine (and enjoyable) but following the adventure of becoming an overall dancer is a large aspect of its charm.
Agree. This show was supposed to be about ballroom dance (structured dance in a world of, sometimes cringe-worthy, freestyle). It's morphed somewhat over the years to its current form (watch the snippets of the early seasons from the anniversary show to see what it looked like way back when). The only time when the rules were thrown out was the freestyle routine during the finals. "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" by Cheryl Burke and Drew Lachey still stands out.

I don't mind a little contemporary or jazz, but to me, the preferred vehicle for that is Fox's So You Think You Can Dance program.
post #5777 of 5784 Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 202
will the hottie Cheryl Burke be returning this season??...her hotness is missed...she has a great personality as well
post #5778 of 5784 Old 08-22-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
will the hottie Cheryl Burke be returning this season??...her hotness is missed...she has a great personality as well
Nope, she went to NBC to do new work. She was supposed to host the Miss USA pageant but then Donald Trump went off on his immigrant rant and she quit the show (The Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants are owned by the Donald).
post #5779 of 5784 Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Nope, she went to NBC to do new work. She was supposed to host the Miss USA pageant but then Donald Trump went off on his immigrant rant and she quit the show (The Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants are owned by the Donald).

she was also supposed to host some new variety show on NBC but I don't know what happened to it...she needs to go back to DWTS
post #5780 of 5784 Old Today, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The cast and couple pairings were announced this morning on Good Morning America.

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with...t-announcement
post #5781 of 5784 Old Today, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I borrowed the following from the HOTP thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes (Broadcast)
'Dancing With the Stars' Reveals Season 21 Cast Pairings
By Natalie Stone, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Sep. 2, 2015

Dancing With the Stars revealed its season 21 celebrity-professional dancer pairings during Good Morning America on Wednesday.

Celebrity chef and former cooking show host Paula Deen will make a return to television and try her feet at dancing for the fall season following her Food Network program cancelation in June 2013.

Never seen in DWTS history, Spy Kids star Alexa PenaVega — partnered with Mark Ballas — and husband Carlos PenaVega (formerly of Big Time Rush) – partnered with Witney Carson — will be the first married couple to compete against one another on the show's hardwood ballroom floors.

The dancing competition show, which will not see Len Goodman come back to sit at the judges' table with Julianne Hough, Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli, will return with Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews as co-hosts.

See the announced couple pairings below:

1. Actress Alexa PenaVega (Spy Kids) partnered with Mark Ballas

2. Singer-songwriter Andy Grammer partnered with Allison Holker

3. Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin's daughter/Australian actress/wildlife conservationist Bindi Irwin partnered with Derek Hough

4. Actor Carlos PenaVega (Big Time Rush) partnered with Witney Carson

5. 10-time Grammy-winner Chaka Khan partnered with Keo Motsepe

6. Oscar-nominated actor Gary Busey partnered with Anna Trebunskaya

7. Vine star Hayes Grier partnered with Emma Slater

8. Reality star Kim Zolciak Biermann (Don't Be Tardy) partnered with Tony Dovolani

9. Backstreet Boys' Nick Carter partnered with Sharna Burgess

10. Celebrity chef Paula Deen partnered with Louis van Amstel

11. Grammy-nominated singer Tamar Braxton partnered with Valentin Chmerkovskiy

12. Triple Crown-winning jockey Victor Espinoza partnered with Karina Smirnoff

13. Army National Guardsman/train hero Alek Skarlatos partnered with Lindsay Arnold

The season 21 premiere airs Sept. 14 on ABC.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ason-21-819696
Some notes:

The return of Anna Trebunskya.

The return of Louis Van Amstel.

Lindsay Arnold (who competed on SYTYCD in the same season as Witney Carson) moves from the troupe to pro partner.

I wonder if they partnered Victor Espinoza with Karina because of similar sizes between the two.

Alex Skarlatos? Talk about from right out of the news headlines!

Gary Busey? I predict - first one eliminated.

More to come after season premiere on Monday, September 14.
post #5782 of 5784 Old Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Lindsay Arnold has been on as a pro before, in season sixteen, dancing with Victor Ortiz.

The Carter brothers are appearing out of birth order: Aaron danced with Karina Smirnoff back in season 9.

So Smirnoff (without Alan Dedicoat to mangle her surname), Van Amstel, and Trebunskaya are returning.  Depending on what color hair Holker shows up with, there may not be the usual predominance of bleached blondes among the female pros this year, just Slater and Carson (to me Carson looks like a natural blonde who bleaches her hair even lighter).  Burgess varies among brunette shades, Smirnoff's hair color never changes, and Trebunskaya's distinctive russet always stands out.

So, how will Paula Deen be around Chaka Khan and Keoikantse Motsepe?  They can deal with her but I'm not sure about her near them.  That's going to be tense.
post #5783 of 5784 Old Today, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The show's definition of "Star" has gone steadily downhill. Now it's psychotics (Busey) and reality TV people? Lord knows what "star" will mean next season (is there is one).
post #5784 of 5784 Old Today, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
The show's definition of "Star" has gone steadily downhill. Now it's psychotics (Busey) and reality TV people?
It's been that way since season one... same cast of characters simply different people filling the roles. Reality, Athletes, Model, Soap or Disney, WTF, Current Headline Grabber, etc. Every year we "hear" it's gone to pot by now they should be getting people from YouTube... oh they already have. She was rather refreshing.

Trista Sutter - The Bachelorette
Evander Holyfield - Heavyweight boxer
Rachel Hunter - Supermodel
Joey McIntyre - NKOTB singer & actor
John O'Hurley - Actor / host
Kelly Monaco - General Hospital actress

Last edited by Charles R; Today at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming