Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #5881 of 5914 Old 11-24-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
What bothers me is that hero guy...not being demeaning, but I've objected from the beginning that he was one of 3 and spotlighted, I suppose because he'd garner more Q points from the audience.
As has been stated (many times) it's not a talent show that airs on PBS or whatnot. Rather it's their adventure and how many (voters) they can get to ride along. Now in most cases the cream rises to the top especially once the "contestants" get whittled down. I presume when their favorite is gone they lean towards the more talented dancers if they keep voting.

I do think a great deal of the charm of the show is the duck out of water factor. Taking someone off the street and having them compete against say a Backstreet Boy on a live dancing show watched by millions makes it incredibility difficult "to judge" Sure an obvious way is on pure talent. However to a large degree that removes the emotional aspect which is what makes taking the journey with them worthwhile.

120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | TiVo | Home Theatre Tweets
20TB i5 HTPC | Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server/Desktop with Kodi | Kodi Fire TV client with Titan Skin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 5914 Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
..... Bindi is my choice for the obvious reasons, but I worry.
No need to worry, if todays poll on GMA is at all correct. They did a phone vote and Bindi was the overwhelming victor, not even close. Second and third were kind of close but as I predicted, the nod going towards the hero
post #5883 of 5914 Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No need to worry, if todays poll on GMA is at all correct. They did a phone vote and Bindi was the overwhelming victor, not even close. Second and third were kind of close but as I predicted, the nod going towards the hero
I haven't been watching the boards...really don't care. My reactions are my own, but that lil girl, with her background and charisma...as well as...talent and her partnership is the obvious choice. That said, Shawn Johnson and Derek should have won the Championship season hands down. Go back and look at their dances on youtube.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #5884 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I guess I didn't need to worry. Funny, awhile back I mentioned that I have some Ozzie friends. Women in their 30s and quite bright and playful. Neither were surprised and both expressed some distain for the Irwins. I think there maybe somewhat of a Kardashian situation going on down there.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #5885 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 163
The two hour finale, while containing its usual share of fluff and filler was actually not bad. There was some great dancing by the pros and Tom and Erin kept it moving. Erin's gown was amazing. Best of all, the obvious best dancer/actress/personality won. By all accounts Bindi may have run away with the finals voting. If so, it was well deserved and Nick was very gracious when she was announced. His praise of her was very genuine. He's a class act. and as it turned out, a pretty good dancer. The duet between Chaka and Andy (Baby It's Cold Outside) was cute although Chaka can still vocally bring it big time and Andy was no match for her (side note; I love the Barnes and Noble commercial with Gaga and Tony Bennett singing that song. Anyone who still thinks that Gaga cant flat out sing isn't listening). All in all, what looked to be a sub-par season turned out, once the clinkers were sent packing, to be very good with some really nice dancing. The best dancer winning meant that all was right with the world.

No word yet on whether SYTYCD will get a 16th season. Let's hope so not only because its the one pure dancing show on TV but also because it's a launching pad for so many professional dancing careers including the pros who compete and those in the troupe on DWTS.
post #5886 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoyed the finale but I thought The Grove was too holiday embellished . At times (often) it felt like a Christmas special. Although I have to say I couldn't pull out of my driveway this morning as the street was blocked by a lift bucket decorating the street trees. So I guess it is that time of year...

After a decade I'm still at a loss to explain how/why the show creates such goodwill among the cast and crew. It's certainly a great deal of its attraction even if you can't explain it.

120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | TiVo | Home Theatre Tweets
20TB i5 HTPC | Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server/Desktop with Kodi | Kodi Fire TV client with Titan Skin
post #5887 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm just happy Nick came in second, very surprise though as all accounts had the hero a distant second to Bindi and Nick 3rd.
I wonder if the backlash against Bindi is so many people like her, others feel they need to go against the grain? She seems to be a very positive person, almost too much at times, wonder again if that turns people off...
Regardless IMO the best dancer won
I too would be saddened if SYTYCD was cancelled, I still like DWTS but with recent chances really prefer SYTYCD.
post #5888 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
After a decade I'm still at a loss to explain how/why the show creates such goodwill among the cast and crew. It's certainly a great deal of its attraction even if you can't explain it.
I think that it's an almost perfect storm of the right pro dancers, contestants who are very nice people, quite humble at times and can check their egos at the door, brilliant costume/makeup/hair stylists and technical staff who do great work. Add in Tom Bergeron who is the best in the business and, over the past few seasons, Erin Andrews and the results are first class production values that are always spot on. Even when a season looks to be hopeless, based on the announced celebs, somehow it all shakes out over the weeks and you end up with some great dancing as the show goes down the home stretch. It's truly impressive
post #5889 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding production values and dancing skill, it seems to be trending up. My memory of earlier seasons might be faulty, but the skill level of even contestants with little or no training is markedly better. Hero guy, surviving as long as he did was a combination of audience and tremendous work effort. That guy could have won some of the early seasons even against the likes of some of the football players that had tons of charisma, but not much technique. I'm thinking the training methods may have improved with all the experience. Some of the pros are adopting a more positive approach with their students maybe. It sure works for Derek.

post #5890 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Some of the pros are adopting a more positive approach with their students maybe. It sure works for Derek.
Absolutely! Sure Derek seems to get above average partners but what he does with them is way above and beyond anything that even they thought they could do. His work with Amber Riley was stellar, even factoring in the popularity of Glee at that time. What he and Amy Purdy accomplished was miraculous, in great part due to her courage and "nuthins gonna stop me" attitude but Derek pushed her to heights that nobody, given her amputations, could have ever imagined (major props to the prosthesis makers of course). They finished second only because Maks and Meryl turned out to be the greatest team in the show's history. This year it was Bindi, blessed with natural talent that she wasn't even aware of, but still, it was Derek who had to make sure that it was on full display every week. To me he is the best and, I think, the most generous of the pro partners.
post #5891 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I think that it's an almost perfect storm of the right pro dancers, contestants who are very nice people, quite humble at times and can check their egos at the door, brilliant costume/makeup/hair stylists and technical staff who do great work.
I think for whatever reason people are assimilated when they do the show. The (created) atmosphere is simply too strong to resist (to a large degree). Perhaps the pro dancers are so happy to have such an outlet they set the stage. And as they are more than aware of they dance at the whim of the producers and after x seasons they have a "dance career ticket" punched for life if and when they leave the show. However I do think there must be some higher powers (producers) orchestrating the proceedings. Much like how some teams maintain a good vibe year after year regardless of who comes and goes.

Quote:
My memory of earlier seasons might be faulty, but the skill level of even contestants with little or no training is markedly better.
I think this was evident when the first champ came back to compete. Kelly Monaco performed at a much higher level as did production values along with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
To me he is the best and, I think, the most generous of the pro partners.
I was impressed by how he "blamed himself" for previous loses. Much like an athlete looking back at prior seasons and wishing they had performed differently. Winning 29% of the time is bound to create some anyone but him sentiment. Throw in his little sister and you have 38%.

post #5892 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hi. A late night and heavy work load has delayed my recap of the Tuesday finale. IE11 on my computer is just insane. I am putting this in as a place holder until I can get time later to fill in the info.

Sorry.
post #5893 of 5914 Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've rad in several places that Bindi had never been able to completely express her grief over Steve's untimely death and with Derek's help and guidance she was finally able to do that and channel it into her dancing. Her reaction to the surprise picture of her and her dad at the end of the freestyle was one of the great moments in the show's history. There were great shots of the audience, especially Nastia Liukin and Leah Remini in tears. Even Erin was verklempt. So let the haters hate but Derek has been the creative and artistic backbone of DWTS for years.

Like Meryl Davis, many of Bindi's numbers are going to get massive YouTube hits long after this season's finale.

Last edited by Cal1981; 11-25-2015 at 06:16 PM.
post #5894 of 5914 Old 11-26-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Grief in a small child sometimes never gets expressed. She was too young and children are tremendously self centered...survival instinct. It can take decades. This was quite an opportunity for her to reflect. I lost my grandfather when I was 14. He was a wonderful guy, cranky, a teaser and he did a masterful job contributing to my childhood. It's only now, thinking back, I'm near his age when he died, that I realize how much effort and how many good things he brought into my life...so with my Grandma, Mom and Dad...all passed years ago...except for my Dad, I never really dealt with the grief...too wrapped up in my own life.

post #5895 of 5914 Unread 03-10-2016, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Hi. A late night and heavy work load has delayed my recap of the Tuesday finale. IE11 on my computer is just insane. I am putting this in as a place holder until I can get time later to fill in the info.

Sorry.
And I'm not going to get to it. I still have the season 21 finale show on my DVR, but let's be honest. Does anyone really (I mean really) care anymore?

And with that said, I have decided I will not be posting weekly recaps anymore. My work schedule has vastly increased and I'm getting older and I really don't feel like doing this anymore. I'm surprised I lasted this long. Almost 6,000 forum entries and over half a million views is really a good run.

The only thing I will say about season 22 is that it looks like a more competitive cast. Announced during the finale last season was the return of Len Goodman as judge. We also know now that neither of the Hough's (Derek and Julianne) will be there, Edyta Sliwinska makes her return after an almost 6 year hiatus and Erin Andrews is finally over that trial which for her took a big emotional toil.

Please feel free to comment here.

Bye bye and thanks for all the fish...
post #5896 of 5914 Unread 03-10-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^are you still going to be watching DWTS this season? I must admit I've been losing interest over the years, with all the hip-hop and modern dance styles, I prefer the more traditional ballroom/Latin dances. Because of this, often times I'd be on the computer while DWTS was playing and my wife was watching it more intently. Unfortunately my other dance show, SYTYCD, sounds like it may be taken over by little kids(<14) so while I may watch the first show of the season, I really don't hold out much hope. I mean I can only take so many cute kids before my stomach turns.
No IMO it's really sad whats happened to our 2 large dance shows, kind of gone to the dogs if you ask me
Take care and if your still watching be sure to post every so often, it's not like all your posts will have to be recaps and such
post #5897 of 5914 Unread 03-10-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^are you still going to be watching DWTS this season? I must admit I've been losing interest over the years, with all the hip-hop and modern dance styles, I prefer the more traditional ballroom/Latin dances. Because of this, often times I'd be on the computer while DWTS was playing and my wife was watching it more intently. Unfortunately my other dance show, SYTYCD, sounds like it may be taken over by little kids(<14) so while I may watch the first show of the season, I really don't hold out much hope. I mean I can only take so many cute kids before my stomach turns.
No IMO it's really sad whats happened to our 2 large dance shows, kind of gone to the dogs if you ask me
Take care and if your still watching be sure to post every so often, it's not like all your posts will have to be recaps and such
Yes, I'm still going to watch, it still has a favored place on my DVR. Be fun again to hear Len and all his crankiness when judging. You know all the celebs and pros are going to have a soft spot for Erin after her ordeal with the trial.
post #5898 of 5914 Unread 03-12-2016, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
For those of us that don't watch GMA...

Exclusive: Kym Johnson and Robert Herjavec Share Engagement Details

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/excl...tails-37329377
post #5899 of 5914 Unread 03-12-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A copy/paste from ABC.com of season 22 couples:

THE SEASON 22 COUPLES

Ginger Zee and Val Chmerkovskiy

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Ginger Zee and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Antonio Brown and Sharna Burgess

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Antonio Brown and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Doug Flutie and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Wanya Morris and Lindsay Arnold

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Wanya Morris and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Von Miller and Witney Carson

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Von Miller and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Nyle Dimarco and Peta Murgatroyd

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Nyle DiMarco and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Jodie Sweetin and Keo Motsepe

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Jodie Sweetin and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time with their professional partners during the season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016, at 8 p.m. on the ABC Television Network.
Mischa Barton and Artem Chigvintsev

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Mischa Barton and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Marla Maples and Tony Dovolani

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Marla Maples and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Paige VanZant and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Kim Fields and Sasha Farber

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Kim Fields and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their professional partners during the two-hour season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars," on Monday, March, 21, 2016.
Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Sliwinska
Craig Sjodin/ABC
Geraldo Rivera and the rest of the stars will grace the ballroom floor for the first time on live national television with their profess

Last edited by jjeff; 03-12-2016 at 06:33 AM.
post #5900 of 5914 Unread 03-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
You're just an old guy who won't change with the times and likes to complain.

".....and remember, your mission, as always, is to.........kill Hitler!"
post #5901 of 5914 Unread 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Lol

post #5902 of 5914 Unread 03-22-2016, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The one thing I will say....

Jimmy Kimmel's pick to win season 22: Antonio Brown (WR, Pittsburgh Steelers).
post #5903 of 5914 Unread 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I was pleasantly surprised by the opener. There are, potentially, some pretty good dancers this season. Mark better watch his hands with Paige. She's liable to break them off
post #5904 of 5914 Unread 03-29-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did anyone think Geraldo&Edyta would not be the first couple eliminated? Sigh, he just doesn't have the moves, because surgery removed all feeling in his right foot.

Welcome back Edyta, too bad your return was too short. Wait, maybe she can hang around with the troupe dancers...

I think Mischa is next to go.
post #5905 of 5914 Unread 03-29-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Did anyone think Geraldo&Edyta would not be the first couple eliminated? Sigh, he just doesn't have the moves, because surgery removed all feeling in his right foot.

Welcome back Edyta, too bad your return was too short. Wait, maybe she can hang around with the troupe dancers...

I think Mischa is next to go.
I wasn't sad to see Geraldo gone but Edyta gone week one after a 10 season hiatus
Other than Gelaldo not a lot of what I'd call bad dancers this year so it will be interesting to see who goes next. I agree about Mischa, she has the potential but she doesn't seem to even want to be on the show and I think the voters may pick up on that.
Too bad about Mark, IMO if it's a slipped disc no way that he'll be back this season, really too bad for both him and Paige who really has a chance this season.
post #5906 of 5914 Unread 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I can't believe Geraldo would have been good even with a good foot. Good riddance. Misha next.
post #5907 of 5914 Unread 03-30-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I wasn't sad to see Geraldo gone but Edyta gone week one after a 10 season hiatus
Agreed and agreed.
Quote:
Too bad about Mark, IMO if it's a slipped disc no way that he'll be back this season, really too bad for both him and Paige who really has a chance this season.
Seeing as how she tied for top of the leaderboard this week dancing with Alan Bersten after only two hours of rehearsal with him, I think she's far from being down for the count.  As her official partner, Mark is probably responsible for choreographing her dances while he heals, just like the situation a couple of cycles ago with Nastia Liukin, Sasha Farber, and Derek Hough.

Also, Alan's large enough that Paige won't worry when he lifts her, as she said about Mark.

Last edited by dattier; 03-30-2016 at 12:06 AM.
post #5908 of 5914 Unread 05-02-2016, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI, Sharna Burgess had a 'nip slip' after her dance with Antonio.

You could tell because there's one shot (other than the various head shots) where there's some blurring on her left breast. Tom B. got the message over his earpiece.

Oh by the way, double elimination tonight. Kim Fields and Von Miller are gone.

Last edited by humdinger70; Yesterday at 09:36 AM. Reason: Fix Sharna's partner name. Sorry, brain freeze.
post #5909 of 5914 Unread 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FYI, Sharna Burgess had a 'nip slip' after her dance with Wanya.

You could tell because there's one shot (other than the various head shots) where there's some blurring on her left breast. Tom B. got the message over his earpiece.
Tom's turning around after shielding Sharna, grinning and giving the big thumbs up was priceless.
On more general notes, this season has been very good and is now at the point where some good celeb dancers are going home. Kim Fields, as evidenced by her number last night, was no slouch but out she went. Any concerns about the show not faring well without Derek are long gone. The Team James Brown routine was much better than Team Beyonce's and deserved the higher scores. Whoever the finalists are, they are going to put on a great show. My choice is Paige and Mark for the win but it's not a lock by any means. It could be Nyle and Peta just as easily. What he has done is beyond amazing and Peta has been brilliant working with him. I'm very impressed with Ramon, Nyle's sign interpreter. He seems to perfectly capture the emotions that Nyle is feeling when he speaks for him and blends in with him and Peta seamlessly.
post #5910 of 5914 Unread 05-03-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm team Ginger all the way. And I Love Sharna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

taboola here