Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 198 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #5911 of 5939 Old 05-03-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I'm no ballroom expert, but Paige's dance was amazing! I wasn't familiar with Wanya and thought he was going to be one of the "well, he did his best" contestants, but he seems to be a contender as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 5939 Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 51
At the end of last week's show, when Bergeron announced that the teams would be "the men versus the women," it sounded like pitting the eight women [four celebrities and four professionals] as one team against the eight men as the other, and that didn't make sense for this show.  [It's possible but you'd never see it on DwtS.]  It took me a moment to realize that it had to be the four female celebrities and their partners as one team facing the four male celebrities and their partners as the other, as of course it was.

Seems I wasn't the only one to come away with that misinterpretation, because at the beginning of this week's show Andrews laid it out unmistakably.

Personally, I think it wasn't a great idea; when each team has at least one couple of each polarity, for every celebrity there is at least one pro of the same sex on the same team to provide a standard.

We'll see next week which of the six remaining couples will be assigned to which judge.
post #5913 of 5939 Old 05-04-2016, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I fixed Sharna's partner's name (it's Antonio Brown) in post 5908. Sorry, I was not thinking too clearly.
post #5914 of 5939 Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
FYI, Sharna Burgess had a 'nip slip' after her dance with Antonio.

why aren't the outraged soccer moms of america calling to have this show yanked off the air?

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #5915 of 5939 Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A surprise. A second double elimination this coming Monday.

At this point (the semi-finals) they would normally only do one per week, so that they have 4 couples on the Monday night of the finals, with one couple eliminated, then the Tuesday grand finale with one more dance performance for scores (the 24-hour fusion challenge comes to mind), then announce of the third place couple and then the announce of the season winners.

So it will be only three couples for the finals. The Monday show will only be an hour long (has happened in the past). Maybe ABC slimmed down the Tuesday finale show from 2 hours to 90 minutes?

And what about DanceCenter?
post #5916 of 5939 Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What was that with the rain! Man oh man. I loved Sharna before but now!!!
post #5917 of 5939 Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Semi-finals night. Double Elimination.

Opinion - it's going to come down to Nyle, Paige and Ginger. Going home will be Antonio and Wanya (peaked a little too early).
jjeff likes this.
post #5918 of 5939 Old 05-16-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I noticed the last couple of weeks the show has been in the Top 5 (total viewers) and even beating The Voice. Again in total viewers although still performing quite well in the 18-49s. Not sure why but I haven't latched on to anyone this season. As in someone I really want to win. It might just be this batch of contestants, the number of years waning my interest or my lack of interest in TV overall.

Now it might be just me and my wife's imagination but ever since Erin settled her lawsuit she appears to be more outgoing. More playful and even her "outfits" have been more revealing... at least according to my wife.

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | NVIDIA Shield | 20TB Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Shield
post #5919 of 5939 Old 05-16-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

All my money has been on Ginger Z for the past 6 weeks at least
post #5920 of 5939 Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Opinion - it's going to come down to Nyle, Paige and Ginger. Going home will be Antonio and Wanya (peaked a little too early).
Nailed it! OK, Jimmy Kimmel, say good bye to your $1,000.
post #5921 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing does bug me. Why did they do a second double elimination during the semi-finals. Isn't doing it once painful enough? Can someone explain the rationale behind doing that?

FYI, Jimmy Kimmel can't complain about losing his money because Antionio Brown got eliminated. The show is in reruns this week.
post #5922 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Prophetic, my man! Although I had doubts about this season, I have really enjoyed it. Now that SYTYCD has abandoned any remaining semblance of a real dance show, it's pretty much DWTS carrying the water for the art form on TV and it's done it well this season. The dancing, overall, has been very good and even those eliminated the past few weeks were not bad at all. If it's based on pure ability, my money is on Paige for the win. She has been consistently excellent and her trio with Mark and Alan this week was just great.
post #5923 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Prophetic, my man! Although I had doubts about this season, I have really enjoyed it. Now that SYTYCD has abandoned any remaining semblance of a real dance show, it's pretty much DWTS carrying the water for the art form on TV and it's done it well this season. The dancing, overall, has been very good and even those eliminated the past few weeks were not bad at all. If it's based on pure ability, my money is on Paige for the win. She has been consistently excellent and her trio with Mark and Alan this week was just great.
Agree with your SYTYCD opinion and also that Paige is probably the best dancer on DWTS, that said I really feel Ginger probably has a larger fan base, of course I also wouldn't count Nyle's fan base who got his to the top of the heap on America's Top Model.....Personally I wouldn't wager a large bet on any of the 3, just too close for one reason or another.
post #5924 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

SYTYCD jumped the shark when they lost their amazing choreographers and turned to past contestants. Weak tea.
post #5925 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I haven't watched the whole season, so it was disappointing to learn that Paige was a dancer as a kid. That's just not fair. Just as the ice skaters and dancers ran away with the competition, it's a pretty good bet that someone who has experience with choreography and dance moves will do well, even if they're not familiar with ballroom.
post #5926 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
My guess -
3rd - Paige&Mark
2nd - Ginger&Val
1st - Nyle&Peta

All three pros are past winners, so no first-time champs.

I think the people are really impressed with Nyle, the way he handles things.
post #5927 of 5939 Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Nyle gets the sympathy vote and the ladies love him. If you look closely he's not really that good a dancer. Like that Carlton guy before. But it isn't always the best dancer who wins. Up against two women you would expect Nyle to win.

But I'm betting he goes out in third place.
post #5928 of 5939 Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Yeah, I agree that while Nyle does amazing things given his limitations, he's definitely not the best dancer of the remaining three. Perhaps the best male dancer of the season (Wanya could arguably take those honors too). I will actually be bummed if he wins it.

I'm up in the air with Paige and Ginger though. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I kind of thought Paige should win it if we're going on talent. However, Ginger has been quite impressive the past couple of weeks too. I think I'd be happy with either one winning, with slight preference to Paige.

post #5929 of 5939 Old 05-19-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why did they do a second double elimination during the semi-finals. Isn't doing it once painful enough? Can someone explain the rationale behind doing that?
I can't explain it however... the week (after?) the partner's switch they didn't eliminate anyone so I guess they had to double up to catch up. Also they might keep more around in case someone has to drop out and at times I think they simply keep them around to ensure they get x airtime. In the past they used to eliminate someone after the first week. Now isn't it guaranteed they all get to dance for at least two weeks?

| 120" 16x9 Screen | Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | NVIDIA Shield | 20TB Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Shield
post #5930 of 5939 Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding SYTYCD...

kathrynrmccormick I am in love with this new season! #speechless actually. There is no place I would rather be than with the next generation of artists. These kids have already stolen my heart and inspired me beyond belief. 💜❤️ @danceonfox #sytycdthenextgeneration

And if you haven't seen her in this recent music video... the next one ain't bad either.

post #5931 of 5939 Old 05-19-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I will try to watch SYTYCD again (at least the start of te season). But to publish a statement from a former contestant, who fills a new role in the show, about how wonderful it is reinforces my statement about SYTYCD relying on past contestants instead of established professional choreographers.

It moves the show down to the 'Karaoke of Dancing'.
post #5932 of 5939 Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
But to publish a statement from a former contestant, who fills a new role in the show, about how wonderful it is reinforces my statement about SYTYCD relying on past contestants instead of established professional choreographers.
Apparently I feel the opposite. I find it refreshing when someone like Travis Wall comes along and easily replaces "established" professionals. Wins various awards and branches out to the point of finding success in his field. I'm pretty sure Rihanna along with his numerous other clients have paid him over the years. Surely his Dancing with the Stars check didn't bounce.

Last edited by Charles R; 05-19-2016 at 07:10 PM.
post #5933 of 5939 Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Another bloated finale last night. This one seemed more interminable than past closers. As for the result, meh. I understand why Nyle won but in my book, Paige and Mark should have taken the matzoh ball trophy. She was consistently the best dancer wire to wire. For someone who is so fierce in the octagon, to be so personally insecure was an interesting back story, maybe not as compelling as Nyle's but it might have been enough to let her dancing skills carry her over the top. Oh well, can't really complain though. It turned out to be a good season. We'll see what the next one brings.
osu1991 likes this.
post #5934 of 5939 Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I was also leaning towards Nyle to win, not because he was the best dancer but rather he has proven himself to be popular with the voting public. I was just glad that the best(IMO) dancer didn't finish last, I thought Ginger may have taken that spot and I do wonder if she hadn't been injured and had put up better finale numbers if she just may have. My guess is Paige, while she seems like a nice person just didn't have the name recognician as the others. After all I doubt many people that watch DWTS also watch her type of fighting....
I sure hope Erin was kidding about having Pitbull as a permanent judge next season, is Len leaving again?
post #5935 of 5939 Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I think Nyle's win was just the typical sympathy vote for a disabled person. It's happened in the past. He certainly wan't the best dancer and Marlee Matlin paved the way for a deaf contestant.

My wife is deaf so she was happy he won, plus she liked him on ANTM.

There is conflict in the 'deaf community' about Nyle's militant attitude on ASL and against the use of cochlear implants, which more and more deaf people are using. The 'deaf community' is adamant that deaf people should be accommodated in their preferred method of communication and that parents of deaf children can only use ASL to manage their children's condition.

Most hearing parents of deaf children are choosing CI and oral speech training where deaf parents are more often skeptical of CI's and refuse to implant their children. Nyle's attitude is not helping resolve those rifts.

Whereas Marlee has been implanted to limited success in the past and uses speech when she can, along with a signing interpreter. I haven't read about her recently to see if she has upgraded her CI technology.

The CI's are advancing rapidly and are a miracle for hundreds of thousands or millions of deafened people. There is no shame in having implants as they are just another tool to advance communication between people.

Personally I think Paige should have won. but, stuff happens...
MikeKlim, osu1991 and jjeff like this.
post #5936 of 5939 Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
I think Nyle's win was just the typical sympathy vote for a disabled person. It's happened in the past. He certainly wan't the best dancer and Marlee Matlin paved the way for a deaf contestant...

I didn't watch every week this season but he also seemed very arrogant...a few weeks back he literally stated that everyone else was no match for him and his only competition was the professional dancers...after that I lost a lot of respect for him...even Len called him out for making that remark...Paige should have won...she was the surprise of the season plus she's gorgeous
wblynch likes this.
post #5937 of 5939 Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Forgot to watch the finals on Monday and watched last night the freestyle dances. Decided to skip the finale cuz I could see how this was going down. Nyles was going to win on sympathy even without the judges overscoring the last couple of weeks. He lost count and sync several times due to his handicap. That said, meh.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #5938 of 5939 Old 05-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would have liked it if Paige had won. She was clearly the best dancer, and I think the judges made it clear Tuesday night that this was their opinion too. I also think Ginger was better than Nyle. Oh well . . .

post #5939 of 5939 Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 631
hopefully they can find a way to bring Cheryl Burke back next season...she was always one of my favorites...a hottie with a great personality and she can really dance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page