Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #5971 of 5998 Old 05-24-2017, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I get the sense that Len is getting more and more annoyed with the direction DWTS is taking of late. It's more about show and less about dance. I am sometimes a bit annoyed with it too TBH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 5998 Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
… the direction DWTS is taking of late. It's more about show and less about dance. I am sometimes a bit annoyed with it too TBH.
I agree, but apparently the producers believe (perhaps correctly) that that's what brings in viewers and advertising dollars.  It would be much less expensive to stage straight renditions of the dance styles, but this stuff continues, so clearly they consider it money well spent.  (I'd have to think that moreover at least some of the pros would prefer to create and teach choreography that isn't so convoluted.)

"Liquid Crystal Display" isn't the only LCD in television.
post #5973 of 5998 Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I usually don't comment on this show after a cycle ends. But the finale had me thinking about making a request. How about a mini-special about the facial expressions of Erin Andrews. Ever since she joined the show in season 18, more than once I've rewound episodes not to see the dancing again but to see what Erin does with that face of hers.

The season 24 finale was no exception. After Bruno and Len joined Normani for a dance, reprising her number where she was surrounded by construction workers, and Bruno kept taking his shirt off to show his 'pecs' (quotes mine ), Tom had him come back to give him a score (he'd waited 24 seasons to do it). A 4.

Not to be outdone, Erin gave him a 3. The key to it is her face, mouth open and tongue emerging. A think I watched that bit about a dozen times.

Come on DWTS producers, you got seven seasons worth of material to put together something!

post #5974 of 5998 Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi, I'm back. Another season of DWTS - number 25 to be exact (who'd a thunk it? ) starting Monday, September 18.

The cast of celebrities for the silver anniversary season (and their pro partners) has been revealed. No real old people (enough of the Cloris Leachman and Buzz Aldrin castings).

Link to the cast info follows: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=49603734

I'll be back after the 09/18 show and after Jimmy Kimmel makes his pick. In the meantime, discuss this among yourselves. Please!
post #5975 of 5998 Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 223
I for one am glad to hear there aren't any token 60-somethings (no offense to any 60-somethings reading this . . .) Especially the likes of Leachman, who was just crass and annoying.

I am bummed that Derek Hough won't be there (and likely never will be again, I imagine). Otherwise, looking forward to this season

post #5976 of 5998 Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think anyone is severely injured right out of the gate. That limitation is what doomed Geraldo Rivera and Chris Kattan to the 'eliminated first' status the last couple of seasons.

Uh oh, Keo has Barbara Corcoran (from Shark Tank). His partner(s) usually go away early in the competition.
post #5977 of 5998 Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
I am bummed that Derek Hough won't be there (and likely never will be again, I imagine). Otherwise, looking forward to this season

I'm not...the producers always gave him the best dancers...seems like he was the golden child and they wanted him in the Finals every year...I'm glad that Cheryl Burke is back again...she's a hottie, can really dance, has a great personality and knows how to teach
post #5978 of 5998 Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
YES! I am very happy that Debbie Gibson will finally be on DWTS! She has been pining to compete on the show since 2009:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBowler View Post
Another one of my favorite singers of the 1980's, Deborah "Debbie" Gibson, has expressed her interest in competing on DWTS:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/debor..._article_17768
Updated link to her official site (the one in my earlier post no longer works): http://debbiegibsonofficial.com/

While Debbie will no doubt be my sentimental fave, I would not count out Nick and Vanessa Lachey (both of whom have excellent pro partners; also, Nick's bro Drew was season 2 champ) or Lindsey Stirling (who has Mark Ballas as her partner).

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #5979 of 5998 Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

I just found this in the HOTP thread...this is a shock to me; I LOVED Julianne and her enthusiasm.

TV Notes (Broadcast)
Dancing with the Stars Shocker: Julianne Hough Is Not Returning
By Tim Surette, TVGuide.com - Sep. 13, 2017

When Dancing with the Stars debuts its 25th season in less than a week, it will be a lot less chipper.

Julianne Hough will not return to the judges' table when the dancing show returns on Sept. 18, TV Guide has confirmed. Hough has served as a judge on the series for five of the last six seasons and formed a potent foursome with fellow critics Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli.

Hough, a former pro dancer on the show with two wins under her belt, brought her experience on the other side to the judges' table, but it was her positive personality and energy that made her one of the show's most prominent faces. She was the anti-Len, balancing out his curmudgeonly lashings about "content" and staunchly traditional perspectives with bubbly reinforcement and a thirst for things that pushed the envelope.

There's no explanation why Hough decided to leave the show, but she's undergone a lot of personal changes recently. She is still beaming from her recent July marriage to Brooks Laich, and last season missed some time for a dancing tour with her brother Derek (who left the show last season), in which the two siblings delivered their own interpretations of their troubled family life growing up.

A rep for Dancing with the Stars released the following statement: "We are thrilled to have Len, Bruno and Carrie Ann back in the ballroom and look forward to welcoming guest judges wherever possible."

We'll dearly miss Hough, but if we're looking for guest judges, can we recommend Aaron Carter? He filled in for Hough last season and was fantastic.

Dancing with the Stars returns Monday, Sept. 18 at 8/7c on ABC.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-...hough-leaving/

So...if Len takes some time off during season 25 to stay in London to concentrate on Strictly Come Dancing as he has done in the past, what guest judges will we see? Aaron Carter wasn't bad IMO, but I would rather see their choreographer Mandy Moore, who did an excellent job as guest judge for one ep in season 24, fill in on a more permanent basis. OTOH, I would rather NOT see Pitbull be a guest judge again...

Scott

post #5980 of 5998 Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBowler View Post
I just found this in the HOTP thread...this is a shock to me; I LOVED Julianne and her enthusiasm.

So...if Len takes some time off during season 25 to stay in London to concentrate on Strictly Come Dancing as he has done in the past, what guest judges will we see? Aaron Carter wasn't bad IMO, but I would rather see their choreographer Mandy Moore, who did an excellent job as guest judge for one ep in season 24, fill in on a more permanent basis. OTOH, I would rather NOT see Pitbull be a guest judge again...
Len has retired from Strictly. Mark Ballas mother Shirley Ballas is the new head judge on Strictly
post #5981 of 5998 Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

post #5982 of 5998 Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Sir Bruce Forsyth the long time Strictly host passed away shortly before the launch of this seasons Strictly. They had a tribute during the Launch Show last week. A true entertainer and very funny gentleman that made the show more enjoyable.

post #5983 of 5998 Old 09-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
Len has retired from Strictly. Mark Ballas mother Shirley Ballas is the new head judge on Strictly
Thanks for the heads-up, osu. So, I guess Len MAY very well be available to do DWTS the full season, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Scott

post #5984 of 5998 Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Season 25 is now underway. Leaders are Jordan Fisher and Lindsay Sterling. At the bottom is Barbara Corcoran. Since she's with Keo, she looks like a prime candidate to be the first eliminated.

First eliminations are next Monday AND Tuesday (they're doing the double elimination early this season).

FYI, Jimmy Kimmel's pick to win: Derek Fisher (former LA Laker star). Jimmy, this might be a season where your pick doesn't make the finals.
post #5985 of 5998 Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't count out Vanessa Lachey...she looked like a live wire on the floor!

Scott

post #5986 of 5998 Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the first elimination (Barbara&Keo) right. Poor Keo, he always gets saddled with the person who gets eliminated early.

I'm a bit surprised that Debbie&Alan got eliminated on Tuesday.
post #5987 of 5998 Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Got the first elimination (Barbara&Keo) right. Poor Keo, he always gets saddled with the person who gets eliminated early.

It was surprising and too bad. Debbie looked pretty good. Overall, this could be a pretty good season. Lindsey Sterling has been gangbusters as has Vanessa Lachay and Jordan Fisher. Len has been more crotchety than ever but Bruno more than makes up for it. I'm glad that Barbara Cochran was bounced early. I'm willing to bet that her overplayed horny cougar act was making Keo as uncomfortable as it was to watch.
post #5988 of 5998 Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Does anyone (of the few people who post here) know how much the pros make for being on this show? Was curious how much like Whitney and such make each season.

post #5989 of 5998 Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
It was surprising and too bad. Debbie looked pretty good.
I feel the same way too. Drew and Terrell have at best been mediocre so far, and they're still around. Debbie does 3 credible, if not stellar, routines and gets booted.

My top three so far: Lindsey, Vanessa and Jordan. Lindsey is right now my favorite; she's got a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

Scott

post #5990 of 5998 Old 09-28-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What really sucked that when Debbie got the heave ho, so did Alan. He had been terrific as a troupe member and when he filled in for injured pros and in his first shot as a pro, he goes in the second week. The voting public is warped.
post #5991 of 5998 Old 09-29-2017, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
The voting public is warped.
As much as this is not the case with me, I really believe the voting public could care less about the pro
Well maybe with the exception of Derek but then he did tend to get better dancers....or was he just that good of a teacher.....
post #5992 of 5998 Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well Jimmy Kimmel's crystal ball (or whatever he uses) is broken or cracked or whatever. And he's out $1,000.

His choice to win season 25 (Derek Fisher) got booted this past Monday. I believe it's the earliest his choice to win the competition has ever been eliminated.

Jimmy, a reminder: NBA players, active or retired, don't do well on this show. Ask Peta Megatroyd about that.
post #5993 of 5998 Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think it's going to come down to Jordan or Lindey. Even though I don't think he can win, I'm impressed with how seriously Frankie Muniz is taking this, hope he does well.
post #5994 of 5998 Old 10-12-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For several cycles now DwtS has used alphabetical order by the celebrities’ first names (or the first words of their stage names) for assigning call-in voting numbers and for introducing them at the start of each show.  So far this season they've also been eliminated in that order.

I have a feeling that somewhere along the line that pattern will break, but just in case, Andrew Scott must be very glad he uses the nickname Drew professionally, because he's been around to see Barbara Corcoran, Debbie Gibson, and Derek Fisher leave the competition.

[Could Jimmy Kimmel have gotten confused and intended to predict Jordan Fisher as the winner?]
post #5995 of 5998 Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 AM

I also noticed that this week, that is the eliminations are starting from the lowest call in numbers and working up.....
And truthfully from what I remember this week, the pattern just may keep going....
post #5996 of 5998 Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh, Disney Night on Monday. I may take a pass. I could never stand this very cheesy two hour commercial for the Mouse's kingdom.
post #5997 of 5998 Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 AM

I'll still watch but I agree, Disney night is probably one of my least favorites nights, self-promotion at it's worst!
post #5998 of 5998 Old 10-14-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Disney Night is best enjoyed with the sound muted; you can still see the cartoon overlays, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page