Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRocha View Post

Anyone know if Helio is going to be good enough to keep Julianne on the show for more than the first few cuts? We were (or maybe at least I was) fortunate that Apolo had something so we could see Julianne every show!!!

That's a good question. It used to be guaranteed that race car drivers would have highly coordinated feet, but these days the Indy and F1 cars all have paddle shifters, so all the fancy footwork that used to be required to drive a race car is no more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Are the UK airings of DWTS shown in 16:9?

The BBC One Sunday afternoon DWTS reruns have been 16:9 576/50i converts broadcast in 16:9 on digital outlets, and 14:9 letterbox on 4:3 analogue outlets. (American Idol on ITV2, or is ITV3, or is it ITV4?, was also shown 16:9 576/50i once the ITV versioning fronted by Cat Deeley - an ITV face - kicked in. It wasn't shown on an outlet with a 4:3 version)

UKTV Gold is a 4:3 service (UKTV is a commercial joint venture between the BBC and Flextech and carries commercials) - so it will be interesting to see if they get 4:3 centre-cut, 14:9 letterbox or 16:9 letterbox versions. (14:9 would be the preference for a UK 4:3 service airing a 16:9 show)
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
In the US ABC showed the SD version as center-cut 4:3 so it's compatible for that format. OTH, MTV is showing repeats of this summer's SYTYCD in letterbox on SD even though it was also framed for center-cut on Fox's 4:3 SD.

Since DWTS was done in 720/60P I would imagine that the conversions are pretty good. The direction and camera work must seem slower by Euro standards, even though from what I understand it's a director from the UK.

Evidently Samantha Harris will co-host the show while pregnant:

"I'm planning to co-host the first week or two or three of the show before my due date -- and then, return to the show as soon as I feel up to it post-delivery. I love DWTS, and don't want to miss a second of it! Still, I know that when this precious gift of my baby comes, my focus could shift."
Old 09-23-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I wonder how much time the hosts actually work a week for DWTS?

Do they just show up 15 minutes before the show and do it cold, or do they have to show up for all the dance rehearsals and to do voice-overs on the training clips?

If it's just a couple of hours a week, I can imagine Samatha coming back quickly, but if it's a 20 or 30 hour grind every week, I'd think she would miss most of the season.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a dress rehearsal that starts about 3-4 hours before the show. Add to that makeup time and other preshow activities and it becomes a full day.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It's (pretty much) official, Samantha Harris will not co-host this season's DWTS as she had her baby on Sunday. Link here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html

She knows who the new co-host is, but the identity of the person won't be revealed until the show actually airs tonight.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

That's a good question. It used to be guaranteed that race car drivers would have highly coordinated feet, but these days the Indy and F1 cars all have paddle shifters, so all the fancy footwork that used to be required to drive a race car is no more.

Not for nothing, Indycars do not have paddle shifters. They use a hand shifter located on the side of the tub. The cars do have clutches, but they only use them from a standing start.

However, Helio grew up racing go-carts (I think) and lower formula cars where shifting required lots of fancy footwork. I'm sure he has excellent footwork.

For the record, I predicted that Helio would be the winner even before the pros were announced. I made this prediction to my wife, so there's no official documentation. Now that Julianne has been announced as Helio's partner, I'd say he is just about a shoo-in for the title, provided he has more skills than a Kenny Mayne or Master P.

For the women's side, I picked Josie Maran as the top lady, although it was really an eye-candy vote.

ft
Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

She knows who the new co-host is, but the identity of the person won't be revealed until the show actually airs tonight.

Tonight's co-host is a former contestant.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Liked: 12
hopefully kelly monaco but i'm guessing one of the old gals like lisa gibbons
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Diane Werts of Newsday has handicapped them all and picked Sabrina Bryan as the winner. From her pics, she looks a little on the chunky side, unfortunately. (Her full article is in the HOTP thread.) The contestant we'll all be drooling over is Josie Maran, but Werts says she thinks the show is cheesy and she's only doing it to promote her new cosmetics line. Are there any "supermodels" who don't have a cosmetics line?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post

hopefully kelly monaco but i'm guessing one of the old gals like lisa gibbons

My bet's on another Lisa - Renna (might have spelled that wrong; Harry Hamlin's wife).
Old 09-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My bet's on another Lisa - Renna (might have spelled that wrong; Harry Hamlin's wife).

with fresh botox in the lips no doubt, lol
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Anyone else in the Pittsburgh market getting random SD - locked up HD - back to SD cycles right now on this show?

~Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The audio mix is off for me viewing D* local ABC. Music cranked way up and their mics way down. I'm a little gayer for posting in this thread now
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
lmao - I was not sure about hitting the "submit reply" button myself - but can feel better that I'm in the computer room listening to my wife bitch about the no HD deal in the living room.

~Bill
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone else have the ABC HD logo on the bottom right cut off? The D in HD is half cutoff. I run my panel with very little overscan so I'm wondering if anyone else see this.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Anyone else have the ABC HD logo on the bottom right cut off? The D in HD is half cutoff. I run my panel with very little overscan so I'm wondering if anyone else see this.

Yes, it is way out there. Farther out there than usual.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
yea that's a brand new bug too. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it is definitely being cut off.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Same here. Both on the Charter feed and OTA.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, first of 4 hours this week in the books. Looks like Diane Werts had it right: absent any talented males (their intros don't give much hope), Sabrina is a shoo-in for that butt-ugly trophy. She looks like she's been practicing for months. And Josie, much like Shauna and Paula last year, looks like she'll be making a hasty exit. She'd better get those plugs in for her new cosmetic line pronto!

And I can't believe Drew is actually making me miss Samantha! Sorry buddy, but your hosting, unlike your hoofing, just ain't ready for prime-time. Shoulda' gotten one of the Lisa's, as mentioned above.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, first of 4 hours this week in the books. Looks like Diane Werts had it right: absent any talented males (their intros don't give much hope), Sabrina is a shoo-in for that butt-ugly trophy. She looks like she's been practicing for months.

Agreed; her legs are a bit bent but given who she's up against, and the time she's had to practice with her partner, really a whole other level of performance. Surprised the heck out of me and just goes to show that you don't need to be long and lean to be a good dancer. The Spice gal wasn't bad either. The only wrinkle is that the couples that get the "foxtrot" (quotes added purposely) really get screwed.
Quote:

And Josie, much like Shauna and Paula last year, looks like she'll be making a hasty exit. She'd better get those plugs in for her new cosmetic line pronto!

Unfortunately true, although I wanted to run right out and cast 18 votes for her. Who cares how she dances? It was kind of funny, however, to hear her call herself a supermodel; "greater than a model, able to bend lipstick tubes in her bare hands....". I wish she'd stick around but at least we have Julianne.
Quote:

And I can't believe Drew is actually making me miss Samantha! Sorry buddy, but your hosting, unlike your hoofing, just ain't ready for prime-time. Shoulda' gotten one of the Lisa's, as mentioned above.

Again, just shows you how difficult it is to do that job. As someone pointed out before, it's not for no reason that Tom and Cat Deeley (SYTYCD) get the big bucks. People didn't appreciate Johnny Carson hosting the Oscars until they had to endure some of the stiffs that tried to replace him.

Doesn't mean Samantha does a great job (I was waiting to see if Drew could be as insipid as she often is), just that it's not easy.

=NLK=
Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

Again, just shows you how difficult it is to do that job. As someone pointed out before, it's not for no reason that Tom and Cat Deeley (SYTYCD) get the big bucks. People didn't appreciate Johnny Carson hosting the Oscars until they had to endure some of the stiffs that tried to replace him.

Doesn't mean Samantha does a great job (I was waiting to see if Drew could be as insipid as she often is), just that it's not easy.

Yeah, that was me. That post-dance interview is really tough to do well. You've got to be flattering if was good, supportive if it wasn't, yet pull some interesting comments out of the contestants at the same time. Then, shill for votes while not saying exactly the same thing every time (we FF thru that part). Drew botched it up time after time, just as Samantha usually does. Maybe he'll get better with practice. Deeley and Seacrest do it exceedingly well; they're the "gold standards" at that sort of stuff.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Regarding the female contestants, here are my top three

Sabrina is the one to beat. She looks like she's three weeks ahead of everyone. It's an unfair advantage since she's obviously already a dancer but that's the way they do things on this show.

Mel (Spice) is definitely going to be in the final four too.

Jeannie has potential. Have to see more of her.

I was in another room when my wife started the show and I can't tell you how happy I was to hear that it was Nick's voice and not Lisa inflate to 60psi lips. He adds a refreshing sincere voice. I'll give him a chance.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

You can sort of sense already the rooting interests the producers are trying to set up. Jennie...the "mommy" vote, Jane Seymour....the "elegant we don't need none of this stinkin' hip-hop cr*p" vote, Sabrina, the "we need MORE of this hip-hop cr*p vote", Josie the "let's dump on her" vote, Mel B. the "silicone" vote, etc.

As in past seasons, the judges are doing their part. When Len remarked how wonderful and elegant Jane's dance was I knew he was following a script. I can only take his pronouncements to mean that he doesn't have much of a professional reputation left to jeopardize, anyway.

=NLK=
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

As in past seasons, the judges are doing their part. When Len remarked how wonderful and elegant Jane's dance was I knew he was following a script. I can only take his pronouncements to mean that he doesn't have much of a professional reputation left to jeopardize, anyway.

=NLK=

I dunno about that; if anything, it's probably enhanced. He's a "star" now, along with the other two, not just a run-of-the-mill ballroom judge.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dunno about that; if anything, it's probably enhanced. He's a "star" now, along with the other two, not just a run-of-the-mill ballroom judge.

Oh, I agree that he's becoming a star and is making enough money that he probably won't have to work another day in his life (even allowing as to how there may not be much of that left ). Hell, I'd LOVE to have that opportunity. But that's why I said PROFESSIONAL reputation: after his "performance" on this show anyone who let's him judge another competition ought to be shot (unless they're looking to draw gawking crowds).

=NLK=
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Anybody got a list of the Bruno Tonolli-isms?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Anybody got a list of the Bruno Tonolli-isms?

Don't encourage him.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

The contestant we'll all be drooling over is Josie Maran, but Werts says she thinks the show is cheesy and she's only doing it to promote her new cosmetics line. Are there any "supermodels" who don't have a cosmetics line?

Josie Maran is in it?? damnit I only have 1 DVR.

and um, yeah, what do you expect them supermodels to do, a line of power tools :-)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Josie Maran is in it?? damnit I only have 1 DVR.

Better get a second one, quick! As usual, the show's best contestant eye-candy is one of the worst dancers (the great Stacy Kiebler excepted, of course).