post #91 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

2) What is the "wow" factor that keeps people coming back to watching the show? Obviously, the dancing on the show (and the judging) will never be of the same level of full-time pro competitive ballroom dancing.

Skimpy costumes on hard-bodied female pro dancers.

Actually, part of the fun for me, is watching mediocre dancers like Lisa last season and Monique this season, get better each week.

And then there's the skimpy costumes on hard-bodied celebrities like Stacy last season and Willa this season.

Part of the problem with actual professional events is that they are just too anal. A great emotional performance can end up getting a bad grade just because someone didn't keep their hand in exactly the right spot in the hold. I just don't care that much about the rules to trade all the emotion for the technique.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 12:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I didn't see that, but it had to be "Yes, we're still in it" or "Crap, we're still in it".

More like, "Holy $***!, we're still in it. "
post #93 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 689
What Mac said ^. I enjoy ballroom dancing and have kept up with it over the years after learning in college (great way to meet chicks!). But, admittedly, I'm into DWTS mostly because of the Babe Factor. The wife's in it for the dancing, so we each have our priorities. I pity the fools who didn't get to see Stacy Kiebler dance up a storm last year in those aformentioned skimpy costumes. After each telecast, a cold shower was in order.
post #94 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm into DWTS primarily because I enjoy watching people who have made a name for themselves in one type of entertainment working to achieve some level of success in a completely different arena.
post #95 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

But, admittedly, I'm into DWTS mostly because of the Babe Factor. The wife's in it for the dancing, so we each have our priorities.

Ditto in our household.

Rick R
post #96 of 5594 Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Skimpy costumes on hard-bodied female pro dancers.

Actually, part of the fun for me, is watching mediocre dancers like Lisa last season and Monique this season, get better each week.

And then there's the skimpy costumes on hard-bodied celebrities like Stacy last season and Willa this season. .

Even better in HD
post #97 of 5594 Old 10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

And even better when projected onto a 9 foot wide screen!

Now if they'd just fix the f-ing audio problems. And I'm really hating the music selection this season. I've ended up muting a bunch of the songs that I just can't stand to listen to.
post #98 of 5594 Old 10-07-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you need to get on your affiliate's case for the echo. I listen in 5.1 and it sounds pretty good with no phasing or echo issues at all. Broadcasting the L/R and C channel mistimed indicates a serious malfunction or design problem at the station. ABC uses AC3 for the 5.1 distribution so all the channels should arrive in time. I wonder if they have the L/R channels (normally channels 1 & 2) routed differently in the plant than the other channels.

Can you identify whether it's the L/R or the C channel that's early? That could help trace the problem.

Beyond this show there are other instances where you want all the channels in time. Sometimes effects are panned between channels.

There's been comments from coyoteaz about KNXV-TV 's audio problems.
post #99 of 5594 Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've seen all CoyoteAZ posts. The prerecorded shows on ABC don't have the same problems, so I think part of the problem is that the DWTS audio engineers are smearing the dialog across all three front channels. I don't understand why they do this since it sounds bad having dialog in all three channels even without the delay.

Then there seems to be something that the local affiliate is doing that is adding a delay. Unfortunately, our local affiliate has had several different audio issues and it has taken over two years of complaining for them to fix the previous issues.

I wish the audio engineers for live events would use one of the secondary audio streams to send a mono mix. That way when something along the chain is screwing up or when I'm having to fight the typical dialnorm issues, I could switch to the mono mix and just avoid all the DD5.1 issues.
post #100 of 5594 Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

It's just a crime that Stacy Kiebler's samba wasn't in HD. I'd pay a lot of money for that.
post #101 of 5594 Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe we need to have a call-in campaign and demand some cameos from Stacy.
post #102 of 5594 Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh great, now you have me dreaming of a "special guest star appearance" encore performance of Stacy on samba night! That would be killer.
post #103 of 5594 Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Some nice scenery last night:

post #104 of 5594 Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Wednesday, October 11 , 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )

ABC, of course, danced its way to Tuesday victory with another 90-minute installment of Dancing With the Stars at a hefty 13.5/20 in the overnights, 19.99 million viewers and a 5.6 rating/15 share among adults 18-49 from 8-9:30 p.m.

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp
post #105 of 5594 Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

They may have to change the name of this series to _Hooking Up With the Stars_ if they have any more couples start dating.

In addition to Mario/Karina and Willa/Max, I think something's brewing between Monique and Louis, too.

And last season, I think Drew and Cheryl would have hooked up if Drew wasn't married.
And who danced with Kelly in the first season? I'm trying to remember if there was anything going on there as well.

Anyway, lots of great costumes last night. I had a hard time watching any of the male celebs because their partners looked so hot.

The competition this season is so equal that I'm having a hard time deciding which couple I think should get cut. For instance, Mario and Joey are technically better than Emmitt, but Emmitt looks much more natural, confident and looks like he's really having fun. Similarly, Monique has prettier body movements and poses than Willa, but Willa just seems to be more natural and fun. I'm going to be really disappointed to see any of these couples get cut while Jerry and Sara go forward.

And the audio seemed much better last night, HURRAY! There was still dialog in the L and R channels, but it seemed to be about 3db down and by bumping my center up another 3db I was able to hide the problems. Everything was kind of collapsed into the center, but I prefer that to having a hole in the middle or having everything smeared equally all the way across the front.
post #106 of 5594 Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting image from one of the recorded segments on tonight's show. Lots of eyeballs in the background, bigger than the bug.

post #107 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Waited long enough...

Willa Ford was voted off last night. She was tied for 1st place after the judges vote (4 couples got 27 points). She and Jerry were in the bottom two. Once again, Jerry's fan base saved him, but it's looking like he may not last after next week.

To his relief, I'll bet - he made it to the point that he wanted to: to last long enough to learn the waltz so he can dance with his daughter at her upcoming wedding.
post #108 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

They may have to change the name of this series to _Hooking Up With the Stars_ if they have any more couples start dating.

In addition to Mario/Karina and Willa/Max, I think something's brewing between Monique and Louis, too.

And last season, I think Drew and Cheryl would have hooked up if Drew wasn't married. And who danced with Kelly in the first season? I'm trying to remember if there was anything going on there as well.

Anyway, lots of great costumes last night. I had a hard time watching any of the male celebs because their partners looked so hot.

The competition this season is so equal that I'm having a hard time deciding which couple I think should get cut. For instance, Mario and Joey are technically better than Emmitt, but Emmitt looks much more natural, confident and looks like he's really having fun. Similarly, Monique has prettier body movements and poses than Willa, but Willa just seems to be more natural and fun. I'm going to be really disappointed to see any of these couples get cut while Jerry and Sara go forward.

And the audio seemed much better last night, HURRAY! There was still dialog in the L and R channels, but it seemed to be about 3db down and by bumping my center up another 3db I was able to hide the problems. Everything was kind of collapsed into the center, but I prefer that to having a hole in the middle or having everything smeared equally all the way across the front.

I think his brother Nick took care of that problem: that's what a good wingman is for.
post #109 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM

I just don't get this show and I'm not sure how people are able to sit through this.
post #110 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Waited long enough...

Willa Ford was voted off last night. She was tied for 1st place after the judges vote (4 couples got 27 points). She and Jerry were in the bottom two. Once again, Jerry's fan base saved him, but it's looking like he may not last after next week.

To his relief, I'll bet - he made it to the point that he wanted to: to last long enough to learn the waltz so he can dance with his daughter at her upcoming wedding.

The way this show is turning out is a shame, thanks to the clueless masses. Jerry has now stuck around at least 2 weeks longer than he should have. He learned his waltz and hugged his daughter in front of America - that was his cue to leave. His 15 minutes of dancing fame are past due to be over. Willa leaving last night was just plain wrong - and there went the best eye-candy as well.
post #111 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Thursday, October 12,, 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )

the live Dancing With the Stars results show on ABC scored another considerable victory, with a 12.8/20 in the overnights, 18.14 million viewers and a 4.6/13 among adults 18-49 at 8 p.m. So long, Willa! ...

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp
post #112 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abricko View Post

I just don't get this show and I'm not sure how people are able to sit through this.

Then move along.
post #113 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

the live Dancing With the Stars results show on ABC scored another considerable victory, with a 12.8/20 in the overnights, 18.14 million viewers and a 4.6/13 among adults 18-49 at 8 p.m. So long, Willa! ...

Tom DeLay must be writing alot of letters to get everyone to dancingwithsara.com. The site has some suggestions for your calender:

10/17/2006 08:00 PM Watch Sara on DWTS
10/17/2006 08:30 PM VOTE NOW FOR SARA
10/18/2006 08:00 PM Dancing with the Stars - Results Show (8pm ET/7pm CT)
10/24/2006 08:00 PM Watch Sara on DWTS
10/24/2006 08:30 PM VOTE NOW FOR SARA

If Sara leaves the ratings will evaporate and fall behind MNTV, especially if that ultra liberal smut vendor Jerry Springer is still there.
post #114 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Tom DeLay must be writing alot of letters to get everyone to dancingwithsara.com. The site has some suggestions for your calender:

Well, to be truthful, he does have a lot of time on his hands these days with nothing better to do, I guess. But I'd rather have him trying to influence the results on a harmless dance show like DWTS than rigging elections and showering favors on his political friends in Washington. But one would think that an endorsement from the likes of Tom DeLay might actually have the same effect these days as an endorsement from the president. If I was Sara, I'd be a little worried about that.
post #115 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

10/17/2006 08:00 PM Watch Sara on DWTS
10/17/2006 08:30 PM VOTE NOW FOR SARA
10/18/2006 08:00 PM Dancing with the Stars - Results Show (8pm ET/7pm CT)
10/24/2006 08:00 PM Watch Sara on DWTS
10/24/2006 08:30 PM VOTE NOW FOR SARA

If Sara leaves the ratings will evaporate and fall behind MNTV, especially if that ultra liberal smut vendor Jerry Springer is still there.

I knew I didn't like her for a reason. Too bad Willa is gone.
post #116 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 12:48 PM

How someone that the judges now say had the most natural ability, came in top vote getting once and 2nd (or tied for second) twice with the judges can get voted out - she was right - this is a popularity contest - dancing has nothing to do with it.
post #117 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, we all knew it was coming, that Jerry and Sara's fan base would keep the safe and unjustly get a much better dancer cut.

I really wish they would change the format to something more like the NASCAR Nextel Cup chase. IOW, all the couples would be around for about 8 or 9 weeks and would accumulate points over that time. Then only the top three or four couples would compete for the trophy over the final 3 or 4 weeks.

That way all the couples would get a chance to dance all (or almost all of the different dances) thus making their fans happy and the chase for the cup would actually be among the best couples.
post #118 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What I can't understand about Sara is how big her fan base must be. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of country music but I listen to it a bit, and I'd never even heard of her before this show. Ditto for Willa (but I sure do wish I could have seen more of her!).
post #119 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post

How someone that the judges now say had the most natural ability, came in top vote getting once and 2nd (or tied for second) twice with the judges can get voted out - she was right - this is a popularity contest - dancing has nothing to do with it.

It may have just turned into that. Last year Master P and George Hamilton were kept around long enough to (probably, I don't actually remember) knock out some good dancers who should have stayed.

You can tell by the studio audience reaction (which may be similar to the national audience) that the decision to lose Willa (and Vivica the prior week) were unpopular decisions - they could dance, but their fan base didn't vote for them.

DwTS may have to modify the judging to something along the lines of what "So You Think You Can Dance" on Fox does:

once they get to the final twenty dancers (10 men, 10 women), for the first few weeks, the judges themselves decide among themselves who should be eliminated (on SYTYCD - they eliminate one man and one woman; for DWTS they would eliminate one couple); only after that does the audience vote come into play.
post #120 of 5594 Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I would have liked to see Willa on more shows, but in the end it's unlikely she would have won. The voting is a popularity contest which probably drives the ratings higher. It does decrease the predictability of the the results show.

Stacy didn't make it to the finale in season 2, and Jerry Rice was not as good as many other contestants. American Idol had the same issue this year when the contestant that many predicted would win was booted before the finale. AI doesn't include judge votes at all. This issue has been debated for these shows every season and both have only increased in popularity. Without audience voting the series might as well be pre-recorded.

I may be wrong but I think the judges' vote is not weighted according to the actual total but rather the order they ranked. A bottom score of 20 is no different than a score of 3. Maybe weighting is what's required to put things in better balance. The audience vote could also be made proportional to their total.

Regardless of the male/female contestant ratio, we still have plenty of good skin tone reference material as demonstrated with the pool picture above.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page