post #1621 of 5538 Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

My wife and I got a kick out of the lack of interest that "Posh Spice" showed...she really gave the appearance that she thought she was "above" all of this nonsense.

From what I've seen she always looks that way, even sitting in the skybox during her husband's soccer games here in the states, like an Easter Island statue. Other than being in the thrown together by crappy producers Spice Girls, what else is she famous/good for? Maybe she should try the show to see if she has any real talent, like Julianne. I know posh means upper class in Britain.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 5538 Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I read or saw something a few days ago saying Celine had already taped her segments. Anybody know anything about that, since it wasn't obvious.
post #1623 of 5538 Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

I read or saw something a few days ago saying Celine had already taped her segments. Anybody know anything about that, since it wasn't obvious.

HERE is a review from a fan that attended the taping.
post #1624 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I forgot to comment, and noticed that nobody else did either, about Karina's obvious nose-job both in her appearance with Mayweather and her group dance to Celina's singing. I never saw a close-up of her to be sure, but her profile at a distance showed some work had obviously been done on her nose. She has slightly less of a gargoyle face now, so kudos to her (and her surgeon) on nice work. Give her some botox and she won't be able to make those ugly expressions anymore too.
post #1625 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Not that there's anything wrong with it...

But let's speculate:

Potential Flamers
Johnathan Roberts (marriage of convenience to fellow pro Anna Trebunskaya)
Louis Von Amstel
Derek Hough

Solid Heteros
Maksim
Alec Mazo (married to Edyta)
Mark Ballas (dating Sabrina)
Tony Dovaloni

To be fair to Johnathan Roberts, if you had to spend that much time with one of the world's best doll designers, it might put you off your game a bit too.

He does look like he makes regular trips to the "Hair Club For Men" though.
post #1626 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 101
J.R. has to be a strong guy to be able to do those lifts with Marie!
post #1627 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Is there any word or information as to whether Helio and Julianne are hooking up? You have to wonder after the engagement ended and that last, on stage kiss.
post #1628 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I was eager to once again see the staggeringly gorgeous Josie during the results show, but danged if she didn't use her one opportunity to speak to once again shamelessly plug her cosmetics line (kudos to Tom for calling her on it; made me feel better about her early ouster), and that whole "rag doll" routine by Marie designed to plug her doll business may have been the straw that broke her right out of the show. Can't they make it clear to any of the "stars" that since they're being well compensated to the tune of at least $145,000 to participate, they can't plug their stupid little commercial ventures?

And my wife mentioned that Mel and Max's rather uninspired freestyle routine may have been the thing that, in the final analysis, prevented her from winning. At least that makes me feel better about how it all shook out (but not much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by viventis View Post

Is there any word or information as to whether Helio and Julianne are hooking up? You have to wonder after the engagement ended and that last, on stage kiss.

Highly doubtful, even if he wasn't 14 years her senior. She's got bigger fish to fry, what with this new singing career, etc (and that kiss looked to be all his idea). But with Helio's elevated Q-factor because of this show and its 20 million viewers, I doubt he'll have any trouble filling his ex-fiancé's stiletto heels. He should look at it as an opportunity to upgrade.
post #1629 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Josie...shamelessly plug her cosmetics line (kudos to Tom for calling her on it; .

They must have admonished the stars after Josie because it looked like Floyd was dying to promote his pay per view fight.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1630 of 5538 Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

(and that kiss looked to be all his idea).

The first one definitely was (you could really see the surprise in her eyes), but the one on the encore dance was definitely all Julianne. She even put her arm around his neck and held him there for an extra beat or two.

Not that that means a lot...I agree with Archi, I think Julianne is destined for bigger things.
post #1631 of 5538 Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 AM

I heard someone call the show "Dancing with the Home Wreckers"

Which is funny.

Will the fact that all these alleged hookups keep occurring help or ruin the numbers?

ps- thanks for the V shot
post #1632 of 5538 Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

The first one definitely was (you could really see the surprise in her eyes), but the one on the encore dance was definitely all Julianne.

During an interview Julianne stated the (first) kiss was choreographed. During the same interview Helio said he didn't have any problems with it!
post #1633 of 5538 Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

Julianne denied it the next day, after their appearance on The View.

IMHO a lot of this speculation about Juliannne + Apolo + Helio is due to the fact that Julianne is very good at her job. After all, she had to dance with brother and make it look like they're hooking up. So making it look serious with some other guy should be easy for her.

OTOH, DWTS is especially hard on outside relationships since you're spending long hours with someone else and even if trying to avoid it, there's going to be a lot of rubbing together of intimate body parts whenever someone is out of position.
post #1634 of 5538 Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunpals View Post

Will the fact that all these alleged hookups keep occurring help or ruin the numbers?

ps- thanks for the V shot

IMO, the alleged hookups prove that the Pros are doing a good job. Ballroom couples should look like couples that have just fallen in love. It's a big part of the allure of ballroom dancing.

BTW, this is the major reason why I really don't like watching ballet and hip-hop. Although I can appreciate the technically difficultly, I find them emotionally sterile.

So if alleged hookups stop happening I think the ratings will go down since it will mean that the dancers aren't doing their job. [After all, the term "horizontal mambo" wasn't created in vacuum. Notice there's not a horizontal ballet or a horizontal hip-hop. ]
post #1635 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 05:08 AM

so Mac...what shows will you be provide primo screencaps for now the DwTS is done?
post #1636 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

DwTS is not done!

It's starting back up again early next year...Mac has plenty of screencaps to tide us over until then.
post #1637 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
With Helio's win, it make three seasons in a row that a sports celebrity has won (Emmitt Smith and Apolo Anton-Ono (sp?) the other two). What will it take for a non-sports celebrity to win?
post #1638 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

What will it take for a non-sports celebrity to win?

Or even for a female winner. I'm still surprised that Mel B didn't win as I suspected there may have been a little bit of favoritism by the show's British producers, but that obviously didn't come into play. Sabrina looked to be the ringer, and it would be interesting to see what the actual voting tally was week to week.

So here's a question relating to the original UK production. The voting rules were changed on SCD to where the combined vote picks the bottom two and the judges pick which of the two remains. Len has voiced his disappointment of this change in the UK, but should this also be done on DWTS? This would make it less of a popularity contest up to the finale, but it wouldn't have an influence on the final selection of the season's winner.
post #1639 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs View Post

so Mac...what shows will you be provide primo screencaps for now the DwTS is done?

There's nothing else on that I really care about, so nothing for the moment. I probably watch the first couple of episodes of "Dance Wars" to see if I like it, but "jazz" and "modern" and "hip-hop" really don't interest me. So I doubt I'll watch the whole season.

If PBS does "America's Ballroom Challenge" again in HD, then I'll post some caps of that.

Otherwise, there won't be anything until the next season of DWTS.

[Oh, I almost forgot about the Victoria's Secret show tomorrow (12/04). I might post some caps of that if I feel motivated enough.]
post #1640 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

So here's a question relating to the original UK production. The voting rules were changed on SCD to where the combined vote picks the bottom two and the judges pick which of the two remains.

Len has voiced his disappointment of this change in the UK, but should this also be done on DWTS?....

I'd rather see a cumulative point system, which I think would have a similar effect. Since it's more difficult to skew an average and since there wouldn't be the pressure of voting to keep people in each week, the voting would hopefullly be more realistic.
post #1641 of 5538 Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Otherwise, there won't be anything until the next season of DWTS

There will also be another dance show airing concurrently with Dance Wars called Dance Machine also on ABC. It's described as a dance contest with average people instead of stars or accomplished dancers. Sounds like it should be titled "America's Got Dance".
post #1642 of 5538 Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

PBS has finally announced the schedule for this season's America's Ballroom Challenge. They sure waited till the 11th hour to update their website.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/

Episode 1: January 30, 2008
Episode 2: February 6, 2008
Episode 3: February 13, 2008
Episode 4: February 20, 2008
Episode 5: February 27, 2008

Since there are already people subscribed to this thead, I propose that we just use this thread for discussing ABC. Since it's just five episodes and has a much smaller following, I think it would get lost among all the other threads if it had it's own thread.
post #1643 of 5538 Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

BTTT: To make certain everyone gets the announcement before the show starts on Wednesday.
post #1644 of 5538 Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

PBS has finally announced the schedule for this season's America's Ballroom Challenge. They sure waited till the 11th hour to update their website.

Episode 1: January 30, 2008
Episode 2: February 6, 2008
Episode 3: February 13, 2008
Episode 4: February 20, 2008
Episode 5: February 27, 2008

Since there are already people subscribed to this thead, I propose that we just use this thread for discussing ABC. Since it's just five episodes and has a much smaller following, I think it would get lost among all the other threads if it had it's own thread.

Actually, depending on where you are, the first episode (Smooth) aired on Saturday the 26th. I saw it advertised on WLIW-21 but am waiting to tape the first airing on January 30th on WNET.

I suppose this is more popular but I preferred the old Ohio Star ball show. I'm also looking around the schedules to see if there'll be any more broadcasts of International competitions (meaning both the style and location). Last year I caught two: one from Denmark and one I believe from Russia.
post #1645 of 5538 Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post

I suppose this is more popular but I preferred the old Ohio Star ball show. ....

Well, those weren't in HD so we wouldn't be able to talk about them here.
post #1646 of 5538 Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the youth exhibition dances weren't as good as last season. They were still decent, but last years' youth dances were exceptional.

Looks like there's a lot of retirements this year. The Ermis' retired and Tony and Elana won't be in the next episode and Steve and Eulia are retiring after this season. But as long as Yulia Zagoruychenko is there, I'll be happy.
post #1647 of 5538 Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, the youth exhibition dances weren't as good as last season. They were still decent, but last years' youth dances were exceptional.

Looks like there's a lot of retirements this year. The Ermis' retired and Tony and Elana won't be in the next episode and Steve and Eulia are retiring after this season. But as long as Yulia Zagoruychenko is there, I'll be happy.

Steve's retiring?? If it was announced during the show I probably missed it; I was trying to avoid listening to Jasmine Guy. Oy, I didn't appreciate Marilu Henner or Juliet Prowse when I had them.

Man, I must be REALLLLLL old. I took a few classes from Steve when he first turned professional. Shortly after I heard he had switched from International to American style; I figured he was having trouble (with all due respect to the latter style, it's just a matter of numbers).

I actually had my eye on Valentina (didn't get her last name).
post #1648 of 5538 Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve's retiring?? If it was announced during the show I probably missed it; I was trying to avoid listening to Jasmine Guy. Oy, I didn't appreciate Marilu Henner or Juliet Prowse when I had them.

Yeah Jasmine was pretty rough but marilu was pretty rough the first season too. Hopefully she'll get better.

I saw Steve and Eulia's retirement announcement on the PBS website as part of a recap of last night's show. They didn't announce it on the show.

The American Smooth competition proved to be an exciting night. Retiring duo Steven Dougherty and Eulia Baranovsky won the show dance competition with a tribute to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. However, it was not enough to score them the championship.

Quote:

Man, I must be REALLLLLL old. I took a few classes from Steve when he first turned professional. Shortly after I heard he had switched from International to American style; I figured he was having trouble (with all due respect to the latter style, it's just a matter of numbers).

I actually had my eye on Valentina (didn't get her last name).

Valentina and Eulia were the only two that I recognized right away, there were so many new couples.

I was a little surprized that Valentina didn't get a least one first place, it's a little unusual to see a complete sweep of the five dances.
post #1649 of 5538 Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The cute little blond dancer, what is her name? Jullianne Huff or something? Now that she has a country album coming out, if she's make it big in the music industry, I wonder if she'll be back on Dancing with the Stars as one of the Stars

Tony
post #1650 of 5538 Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM

Liked: 12
i imagine she'll be back, singing if not dancing, lol.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page