Dancing with the Stars...on ABC...in HD! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5546 Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully Jerry will go, but that makes for a very tough finish. Emmitt, Monique, Mario and Joey are all excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Joey's partner is outstanding! What is her name? Can someone post screen caps of her?

nc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's Edyta, isn't it? I can't decide which female pro is my favorite. Cheryl has the strongest/most powerful moves, Kym has the biggest/sweetest smile, and Edyta is probably the most graceful with those high leg kicks.
post #184 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Joey's partner is outstanding! What is her name? Can someone post screen caps of her?

nc

I had ABSOLUTELY no idea that was Joey Lawrence until last night. Shows what no hair does for someone in show business. Is he doing it for a part, no pun intended?

Wolfie
post #185 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed how Cheryl and Emmit didn't look to "warm & fuzzy" at the beginning of this series? They seem to be more fridnly now. It's noticable, I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

I think it's Edyta, isn't it? I can't decide which female pro is my favorite. Cheryl has the strongest/most powerful moves, Kym has the biggest/sweetest smile, and Edyta is probably the most graceful with those high leg kicks.

Yeah, but none of them can move and contort like Karina can. And have you seen her spin? Neither have I - it's too fast!
post #187 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Karina looked especially hot last night with the blonde wig and that outfit she wore for the latin dance.

But, if I had a choice, I think I'd take Cheryl without the makeup and wearing one of those hoodies that she always seems to wear at practice.

I wonder if Monique hurt a knee last night. In the latin dance, she seemed to be a little off balance and stumbled a little bit and she didn't fully extend her leg when she dropped into the front split.
post #188 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Karina looked especially hot last night with the blonde wig and that outfit she wore for the latin dance.

But, if I had a choice, I think I'd take Cheryl without the makeup and wearing one of those hoodies that she always seems to wear at practice.

I wonder if Monique hurt a knee last night. In the latin dance, she seemed to be a little off balance and stumbled a little bit and she didn't fully extend her leg when she dropped into the front split.

Karina and Mario didn't do a Latin dance, they did the jive, which is clearly an American dance. When did they classify the Jive as Latin dance?
post #189 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

For some reason I think Monique is going to be voted off tonight. I dont know why... just a feeling.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #190 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Not this week. So long Jerry, thanks for the comedy. Tom DeLay is jumping for joy.

post #191 of 5546 Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You kind of expected it with Jerry's low combined judges score. I don't think he would have stayed even if he had won the combined audience vote. The best of the best still remain - there will still be controversy on who wins!
post #192 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Emmit is not that good at all, he is just very popular.

Mario & Joey are the best celebrity dancers.

Ya done good, Jerry!

nc

post #193 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Karina and Mario didn't do a Latin dance, they did the jive, which is clearly an American dance. When did they classify the Jive as Latin dance?

No, actually, jive is in the International Latin category (one of the five). Supposedly adapted from the jitterbug (and perhaps another dance or two) that American GIs taught the British during/after WWII.

Now is it a dance that originated in Latin America or is "traditionally" danced by Latins? No. But it IS technically in the Latin dance category, at least as far as the International style is concerned. I don't know WHAT it qualifies as on DWTS, though.

=NLK=
post #194 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post

Emmit is not that good at all, he is just very popular.

Mario & Joey are the best celebrity dancers.

Ya done good, Jerry!

nc

I agreee about Emmitt. Not bad, but he always dances with bent knees, hunched over a bit, stepping carefully with the ball of his foot. Mario looks like he's done this before, although he hunches as well (and appears to be a bit of a sociopath, but that's for another thread).

The judges seem to be in their own world and terribly enamored of Emmitt. But hey, they're probably making a lot of money (for them) doing this so I can understand it. Were I in their position I'd skewer my judging career as well for a shot at the limelight.

=NLK=
post #195 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the judges tend to judge the celebrities for what they are:
Jerry was a great entertainer, like George Hamilton last year. Terrible dancers, but great entertainers.

Emmitt is a regular guy like Jerry Rice was last year. He's a great dancer compared to the 99% of us regular guys.

Joey and Mario are not regular guys, they are very talented and could easily have become professional dancers if they wanted. So the judges grade them that way, just like they did Stacy last year. She was so good, that they nit picked her like they would the professionals.

So the judging makes sense to me. It's not completely fair on a numerical level to give Emmitt a 27 because he did a great routine for a regular guy and then give Mario a 27 because he did a great routine for a professional dancer, but it kind of makes sense when you look at it this way. It gives the regular guys a chance and makes the show more interesting.

Just my opinion.
post #196 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 631
^ What Jack said. My wife and I made the very same comment when we watched the Tuesday night show last night. They're judging Mario, who's clearly the best dancer (at least to us), on a different scale from the others. Even Joey is just not in his class. If Mario doesn't win this year, it will be an even bigger crime than Stacy not winning last year.
post #197 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Thursday, October 26, 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )

ABC mega-hit Dancing With the Stars danced to another stellar time period victorywith a 13.4/21 in the overnights, 19.86 million viewers and a 5.1/14 among adults 18-49. .

Source: Nielsen Media Research data
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

post #198 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I think I repressed the memory that they did a Jive dance because Mario pushed one of my pet peeve buttons by not pointing his toes down in his Jive kicks. [Since Len has his pet peeve of not doing heel leads on the Foxtrot, I think I'm entitled to this one pet peeve. ]
post #199 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Emmitt was very good this week. Both my DW and I thought he was more in command of the floor than Mario and Joey and very much deserved the high scores from the judges. I love Joey, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Emmitt give Mario tougher competition for the overall title.

Tim
post #200 of 5546 Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Did I hear Len right??? Did he tell Joey.... All heel and NO BALLS! ???

post #201 of 5546 Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Did I hear Len right??? Did he tell Joey.... All heel and NO BALLS! ???

I haven't seen this episode yet, but he very well could have. Not sure if this is obvious, so don't get offended, but the front part of the foot behind the toes is the ball.

John
post #202 of 5546 Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5810 View Post

I haven't seen this episode yet, but he very well could have. Not sure if this is obvious, so don't get offended, but the front part of the foot behind the toes is the ball.

yeah, I understand the terminology as it applies to dance. It just sounded funny coming from him, not to mention how much he emphasized "NO BALLS"

post #203 of 5546 Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

yeah, I understand the terminology as it applies to dance. It just sounded funny coming from him, not to mention how much he emphasized "NO BALLS"

Yes, that was hilarious! It seemed pretty obvious to me by the way he said it that he didn't want people to miss the double-meaning.
post #204 of 5546 Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Bruno would be the one to see if there was the proper use of balls, but it looks like Len was watching even closer.

post #205 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Interesting news this side of the pond.

The BBC Show "Strictly Come Dancing" (the original Dancing With the Stars) broadcasts from studio TC1 at TV Centre (the UK's largest purpose built single TV studio) which was upgraded to HD over the summer. Well this weekend, apparently, the show will start broadcasting in HD on the BBC HD Trial (DSat, Cable and OTA in London)

The cameras are HDC-1500s (which have also been used for the SD broadcasts) - and the editing is on HD Avid Adrenalines I believe.

Be interesting to see what the show looks like in HD.

I haven't checked what the current confguration of the BBC OTA test service is - it has been running at 19Mbs 1080/50i and 13Mbs 720/50p (cross converted from 1080/50i) at various stages to evaluate public response to the picture quality of the two levels of service.

(19Mbs doesn't leave much left in a 24Mbs mux once you add EPG, BBCi digital text etc., whilst 13Mbs would leave enough for a couple of decent SD services - say a couple of interactive streams, and some radio channels)

** EDIT - OTA is 19Mbs 1440x1080/50i H264 again **
post #206 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

The cameras are HDC-1500s (which have also been used for the SD broadcasts) - and the editing is on HD Avid Adrenalines I believe.

I'm a bit surprised the BBC woud be using Japanese cameras, although most people I've talked to think the 1500s are better than the Thomsons. AFAIK DWTS is also using 1500s, although it's 720p here.

post #207 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

I'm a bit surprised the BBC woud be using Japanese cameras, although most people I've talked to think the 1500s are better than the Thomsons. AFAIK DWTS is also using 1500s, although it's 720p here.

Yep the most recent re-equipping round which kicked off last year is really the end of an era - it is the first time in the history of the BBC's main London studios that they have been equipped with non-European cameras. (Apart from a few JVC cameras used in small studios aimed at productions for "digital channels", and a few brief periods of Ike and Sony lightweights being deployed in news studios)

Until the recent move to Sony HDC-1500s and BVP-E30s, the BBC in London had been entirely Thomson based in the main studios (1657s, 1647s and tubed Thomsons prior to this) since the 80s - with three Philips LDK100 based news studios.

(The rumour that the reason the BBC went Thomson goes that in the 80s the BBC were buying a new camera from Link - the Link 130 - to replace the previous Links in use. Howeve the 130 effectively bankrupted the company, as the digital control system wasn't reliable enough to be usable. However the BBC had already bought the lenses. The only other European cameras compatible with the lenses were Thomsons - hence the Beeb bought Thomsons rather than Philips or Bosch. Whether this is true... I know not - but the rumour continues, along with other rumours relating to similarities between the Link 130 and cameras from other manufacturers... Nobody who saw the performance of the original Thomsons the BBC bought thought they were bought for their picture quality - though they DID get modified to implement the BBC colour matrix, black stretch and gamma requirements, which continued to be a requirement well into the CCD era, though by then many LDs were requesting that they could switch to a non-BBC matrix to increase saturation on effects lighting)

Prior to this Link, EMI, Marconi and Philips/Bosch cameras were in use in studios. In fact during the 50s and 60s - and even into the 70s - the Beeb had tried to buy British where possible, with EMI, Marconi, Link and Pye.

However BBC Outside broadcasts - and non-London studios had been using Ikegami and Sony lightweight cameras since the 70s and 80s - with BBC OBs in London being nearly universally Sony since they retired their LDK5 tubed cameras in the late 80s/early 90s.

The BBC effectively stopped buying non-lightweight cameras with the Sony BVP370s in the mid 1990s - when they moved to 16:9 cameras, with studios moving entirely lightweight with the Thomson 1657s.

I think there was probably a feeling - though this is just a guess - that the
LDK6000 Mk II camera was getting a bit long in the tooth, though of course there is now the LDK8000.

I think there was also a preference amongst vision ops for the Sony racking (i.e. lift/gain/paint) system as the LDK series panels aren't universally popular. (The BBC engineered their own solution for the LDK5s in the 70s I believe - which they also engineered for their first series of Sony CCD cameras - based on in-desk colour wheels rather than knobs, to allow finer and more intuitive control)
post #208 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Be interesting to see what the show looks like in HD.

It was an interesting mish-mash -- lots of upconverted SD (not surprising since it only switched to HD this week -- I'm guessing there Z1s are still running DVCam mode).

Most bizarre was that all the overlaid captions looked very much like upconverted SD, overlaid on top of the HD signal.

Steven
post #209 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBagley View Post

It was an interesting mish-mash -- lots of upconverted SD (not surprising since it only switched to HD this week -- I'm guessing there Z1s are still running DVCam mode).

Most bizarre was that all the overlaid captions looked very much like upconverted SD, overlaid on top of the HD signal.

Steven

Yep - I noticed the Astons were still obviously Astons. Wouldn't surprise me if it was just an upconverted Ethos...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Z1s were still running in DVCam rather than HDV mode. I wouldn't be surprised if the VTs in the suites were still not HDV compatible...

I didn't have much time to watch - but I'm assuming the Radio Steadicam was also SD?

The one thing that was quite clear from watching just one dance number is how much more you notice it when cameras are cut up JUST before they have finalised their focus, or steadied their shot - I suspect some cameras are worked VERY hard on the fast numbers. Out of interest - I wonder if the camera ops at The Centre have as strong a views on the Sony viewfinders as the guys at Wimbledon did when it comes to lag and focus judgement.

Certainly LCD is nowhere near ready for that application by all accounts - but then many would argue it isn't ready for quality monitoring situations either - though Sony will tell you otherwise since they don't like selling you CRTs any more... Which just gives Ikegami, JVC et al. a bigger market for their CRTs these days it seems.

(AIUI whilst colour is nice - some camera ops are suggesting that monochrome CRT viewfinders may still be the best way of accurately and quickly framing and setting focus - especially in HD)
post #210 of 5546 Old 10-28-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

No image captures? The wireless steadicam on DWTS is definitely HD, was the SCD one SD?

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page