Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both my wife and I really liked the Pilot. Really looking forward to seeing how this show progresses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Does his ability work because of or in spite of his heroin addiction?

Dude, you're asking too many good questions at once . Are you saying all the greats (Da Vinci, Picasso, Van Gough, etc.,) were addicts?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #93 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

i wasnt too thrilled about it... maybe its because I'm from India and that classroom looked nothing like a real indian classroom. Seemed contrived and the coincidences were so Lost-esque it was nauseating. But besides that, i'll watch it till something better comes along. Not a hit for me though

I am Indo-American (ABCD, if you know what that means) and not only did I love the show, but I am glad to see Indians playing Indians on Heroes, not freakin' Naveen Andrews playing someone of Arab origin (nothing wrong with arab's, but since he is indian, why can't he play an indian?)
post #94 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

You saying Invasion, Surface and Threshold were basically the same show is like saying Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are basically the same movie, just because they were all wartime movies. I have to at such generalization.

Maybe Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond are basically the same show - afterall they both are sitcoms.

My context of those examples was pointing out that everyone is comparing Heroes to another "invasion" Of the three shows I was talking about, which all featured some alien being and a body of water and government conspiracies it was in it simplist form the same idea for a show put out by three different networks at the same time. I never watched them so yes my generalization is a bit biased but not off base, when most everyone I know felt the same way. I was just pointing out that I don't feel that Heroes could be classed as another copy cat show destined to be cancelled. I apologize if my explanation doesn't make sense to you.

And for your examples you mentioned I would of used Armageddon and Deep Impact at least the storyline is a bit more similar. Unless you were trying to be sarcastic because Invasion, Threshold and Surface were all so very very different

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #95 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems good so far. I'll be watching next week.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #96 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

My context of those examples was pointing out that everyone is comparing Heroes to another "invasion" Of the three shows I was talking about, which all featured some alien being and a body of water and government conspiracies it was in it simplist form the same idea for a show put out by three different networks at the same time. I never watched them so yes my generalization is a bit biased but not off base, when most everyone I know felt the same way. I was just pointing out that I don't feel that Heroes could be classed as another copy cat show destined to be cancelled. I apologize if my explanation doesn't make sense to you.

And for your examples you mentioned I would of used Armageddon and Deep Impact at least the storyline is a bit more similar. Unless you were trying to be sarcastic because Invasion, Threshold and Surface were all so very very different

No apologies needed. You admitted that you didn't watch the three series mentioned, so it is easy to not know what sets those shows apart. Just like you said that Invasion, Surface and Threshold were alike because they all involve a monster, some thing to do with water and government conspiracies, my examples of SPR, AN and FMJ also involve a protaganist who was a soldier, had something to do with a boat ride, and all deal with the travails of a soldier fighting in traumatic and tragic wars. But it would be an oversight to claim all three of them were similar.

You are kinda missing the trees for the forest here.
post #97 of 4855 Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
With all the previews over the past 6 months, it was almost like I had seen everything in the pilot already. Really looking forward to the next few episodes to see where they take it.
post #98 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

Well, talbain, it might be unusual, but not unheard of, ABC did it with the Grey's Anatomy season premiere last week. And several of the new pilots are getting second airings in primetime this season, with a week or so of the original airing. And don't forget Heroes will be on again Friday night on SciFi.

And you have one more chance to watch the Pilot in SD on USA next Monday evening.

A colleague at work told me about the show today. I'm glad I watched tonight. I had not paid attention to any of the promos.

Here's hoping it gets a good run from NBC.
post #99 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

No apologies needed. You admitted that you didn't watch the three series mentioned, so it is easy to not know what sets those shows apart. Just like you said that Invasion, Surface and Threshold were alike because they all involve a monster, some thing to do with water and government conspiracies, my examples of SPR, AN and FMJ also involve a protaganist who was a soldier, had something to do with a boat ride, and all deal with the travails of a soldier fighting in traumatic and tragic wars. But it would be an oversight to claim all three of them were similar.

You are kinda missing the trees for the forest here.

Of the three shows you mentioned Surface was the worst. Invasion was just getting interesting when they killed it. Too bad one of the main stars of invasion brought his annoying look and personality to Prison Break.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #100 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Other than the cheerleader's father and the mob, are there any other bad guys in this show?

I'm guessing that the cheerleader's father will be the show's main bad guy. They seem to be focused on him as he was chasing around the Indian guy and was also in his deceased father's apartment looking for stuff. Apparently he knows about some of the mutants out there (maybe not his daughter though) as well as the researchers (Indian father and son) that were/are hot on the trail.
post #101 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 AM

2 things I noticed that stood out:

1. At the japanese karaoke bar, were those the same 2 guys who were plastered all over the internet with their video of them lip syncing the Backstreet Boys? If so, that's a pretty funny tribute.

2. The stripper's son, when she was at his school, was reading one of those comic books, that from next weeks preview, shows that the japanese guy's future is being predicted. This is jacked directly from Lost, where you see Walt reading about polar bears, and then they appear.
post #102 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 400
The show seemed to be rushed. I don't like the fact that most knew they had powers before you know them.

To answer ralphyboy it wasn't those guys, but it was a tribute to them. There was something else the writers took from something else but I can't remember it now.
post #103 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

(nothing wrong with arab's, but since he is indian, why can't he play an indian?)

Because there were not very many Indians in the Republican Guard!

SLOW, very SLOW. I am thinking this is going to be the next Surface...

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #104 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

I really liked the "Heroes" pilot! I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes to see where it goes as well.
post #105 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Yep, The wife and I both liked it......

BTW: We both liked invasion too and Were ticked off that it got cancelled. And Lost, Dont get me started on lost. Good show but they jack you around all season because they are 1 week on, 3 weeks reruns, then 2 weeks on then 2 weeks reruns. I hate thier schedule and if they keep this up people will get disinterested!

Flan's Theater!

Xbox Gamertag: Darth Flan
post #106 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan View Post

BTW: We both liked invasion too and Were ticked off that it got cancelled. And Lost, Dont get me started on lost. Good show but they jack you around all season because they are 1 week on, 3 weeks reruns, then 2 weeks on then 2 weeks reruns. I hate thier schedule and if they keep this up people will get disinterested!

ABC is supposed to be changing the "Lost" schedual this season to stop the reruns.
post #107 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Schedule for Lost changed this year. 2 mostly continuous runs - 7 or 8 episodes in the Fall and the rest in '07.
post #108 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Maybe you should give it another chance this season:

"'Lost': The biggest twist yet -- no reruns!
All Lost viewers live in fear of The Others. No, not the violent dinner theater troupe from the other side of Fakebeard Island -- I refer to the dreaded other episodes, the reruns that fill the substantial gaps in the show's 35-week schedule.

Well, fear not, fanimals. You won't have to wait for new episodes ever again. Or rather, your waiting will be consolidated. Lost will air in two chunks next year: a seven-episode arc in the fall, followed by a 13-week break, then a straight consecutive airing of the remaining episodes. (The hiatus will be filled by Day Break, a Groundhog Day-meets-24 suspense series starring Taye Diggs.)"

Jeff in Memphis
post #109 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
And nobody has mentioned that it was presented with limited commercial breaks. Props to NBC for pushing the sponsers to do this.

Of course, I skip all of the commercials whether they're there or not.

Chet
post #110 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think this show will get the axe as there are enough of us geeks waiting for a good comic book type TV show. I can't see how people could compaire shows like invasion as an example of a decent show getting booted. The thing is ABC, CBS, and NBC all came out last season with basically the same show Invasion, surface, threshold. Hereos on the other hand doesn't have the same problem unless you want to say smallville or The 4400 are the same show. I don't think it is and has enough of a story line to keep people interested. Lets hope the writers don't screw this one up in an attempt to draw in viewers that would otherwise not be interested.

I guess I identify with that geek demographic since this was my most eagerly anticipated new show of the season. And I wasn't disappointed!

Heroes is definitely on my watch list.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #111 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

A keeper , just let us hope NBC feels the same way..
post #112 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

This was one of my Must see programs and it didn't disappoint. I am very pleased. I think NBC will give this show a quick oreder for 22 - 24 episodes. How can you say NBC is ripping off the 4400. NBC owns that show too.
Both shows have characters with different powers but the way they got the powers are completely different on each show.
We have delt with this 35 week season for years. We should all be use to the reruns during the holidays and the non-sweeps months. At least LOST still does 24 episodes and not 22.
It is about time the networks do something that makes the viewers happy. 24 straight episodes of 24, 2 non stop seasons of LOST (8 then 16) & ER (8 then 12).

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #113 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Actually, The 4400 is produced and owned by CBS/Paramount TV and is sold to USA Network for distribution in the US.
post #114 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyinnyc View Post

We have delt with this 35 week season for years. We should all be use to the reruns during the holidays and the non-sweeps months. At least LOST still does 24 episodes and not 22.
It is about time the networks do something that makes the viewers happy. 24 straight episodes of 24, 2 non stop seasons of LOST (8 then 16) & ER (8 then 12).

I think and hope the networks have finally figured out that this kind of bull is what is causing the loss of viewership. Just look at HBO. They don't, under normal circumstances*, show re-runs throughout the season. They know they'd lose subscriptions that way.

*The Sopranos did this last season with one re-run, but it was due to a holiday weekend.

Chet
post #115 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere, that after the success for 24(24 straight) and the FX network with running 13 straight of The Sheild, nip/tuck, & Rescue me. The big 4 networks are going to try 13 week seasons with no repeats on some shows. Lets hope Heroes gets one of these orders. But untill we get that announcement we can expect repeats in October again.

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #116 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmstyle View Post

i don't think this compares to the 4400 its so much better then that show.

Saw it and like it a lot. That being said 4400 is better. However with the crappy 13 episode seasons and the year long breaks, 4400 could be overshadowed if Heroes is done right. IE full Seasons 23/24 episodes, no year long breaks and loss of characters due to the time between shows.

Just my 2 cents.
post #117 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Dude, you're asking too many good questions at once . Are you saying all the greats (Da Vinci, Picasso, Van Gough, etc.,) were addicts?

LOL no I'm not saying that his ability to paint stems from his H addiction, but that his ability to 'see' the future and paint it (yet without his conscious knowledge) might indeed be either because of his addiction or in spite of it. If he gets off H, will his ability disappear, or will he become conscious of his visions?

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #118 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM

There might be something to that. I've never tried H, and I've never painted a masterpiece.
post #119 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

If he gets off H, will his ability disappear, or will he become conscious of his visions?

Well geez, I don't know; good question, though. I'm told in the 60s, people were droppin' acid like crazy, thinking its ride was some real breakthrough thing. I'm too young to remember it.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #120 of 4855 Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

And nobody has mentioned that it was presented with limited commercial breaks.

I, for one, was wondering when they were going to start limiting them after the second time they made that claim during the show. When they came back for the last segment and claimed there would be no more interruptions, I thought "Oh great. Big deal. They're giving us a whole 10 minutes with no commercials."
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page