post #91 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Wouldn't matter if we did - all the awards would belong to "24" anyway.

LOL! You must not watch 'Prison Break', my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

LOL! You must not watch 'Prison Break', my friend.

I do, but I still think "24" and its "real time events" stretch the imagination further.
post #93 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Invasion, Surface and another one that I can't even remember the name of all were canceled in the first season in 2005. Does Jericho even stand a chance.

Jerry

Samsung PN63B550 HDTV
Dish VIP722K HD DVR receiver w/ external HD
Dish VIP211K HD receiver w/ ext HD
Yamaha RX765 with Polk speakers
Samsung pn1600 Blu Ray Player
post #94 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryez View Post

Invasion, Surface and another one that I can't even remember the name of all were canceled in the first season in 2005. Does Jericho even stand a chance.

Based on ratings for the premiere, I'd say "yes". But it's still early, obviously.
post #95 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by posg View Post

I have also been a communications engineer. The four 9's aren't much of a stretch these days.

Depending on what it is and how it is measured...no it's not. Trust me, we got our fair share of credits for our vendors not meeting their SLAs and I can also tell you that our vendors fight us on most of them.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #96 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

Seems like a good mix between Lost and Invasion...More so like Invasion, but with the constant questioning of Lost...

pretty good mix, I enjoyed it, this show has my interest now

I actually I smell more of a LOST wannabe here. Seems like the whole Skeet Ulrich character being gone for 5 years is a set up for flashbacks, and somehow as the season (or seasons if it is any good) progresses, we will find out he has a connection to what "happened."

I was a bit disappointed last night because I thought the show begins after this attack occured and that everyone knows an attack occured. I would have liked to have seen the show start from there, not the way it did "Deep Imact" style. The show better not be a disaster movie turned into a disaster drama. There needs to be mix of drama of the people in town and the mysterious sci-fi element (hence the obvious connection to LOST).

I'll still give it a chance, but with a skeptical eye.
post #97 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

can someone please tell me the artist or the name of the song at the end of the show where the girl got out of the car and saw all those birds on the ground? I love that song the only other time i heard it was during an hbo commercial for the sopranos last spring .

Snow Patrol - Run
post #98 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM

I will be shocked if it last the whole season...Just like Threshhold...The big 4 networks have very lil patience for SciFi.
post #99 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by posg View Post

Except that both Dish and DirecTV have redundant uplink locations in entirely different geographic locations. I simply won't buy the loss of all communication links in as short a period of time as depicted in this show.

Nukes ==> EMP ==> dead radios, toasted ionosphere, etc.

One might argue to be realistic, the loss should have been instantaneous. I doubt civilian comsats are adequately hardened for nuclear blast EMP. "Locally" (and I mean a thousand miles, or much of the US) this would be much worse than a major solar storm.

If it were an ICBM strike against us, and we struck back, there wouldn't be radio communications on the planet until the ionosphere settled back down, and many radio receivers connected to antennas would be toast.
post #100 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I thought it was decent.. I'll give it a second look - but I wonder how long can they drag this out witout answering the question of what happend?? - lost does it very well.. but I think they have many more dynamics to strectch the story..
post #101 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

I will be shocked if it last the whole season...Just like Threshhold...The big 4 networks have very lil patience for SciFi.

From what I can tell, there isn't going to be much sci-fi here (i.e. aliens, paranormal and supernatural phenomena).

This will likely evolve into a sappy melodrama, seeing how it is on CBS or it'll turn into CSI: Jericho, where they're hunting someone/something down every week. The same thing happened with Threshold - all they did was run after the infectee of the week.
post #102 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

Another intersting thought is that if this present day, I wonder if any of those kids had even seen a mushroom cloud before...
-- Jim

I was wondering about that too, and even thought about it further after the show....
would a kid that age realize what he was seeing, or is he just wondering about
what he's looking at?

Just curious......to parents here with young kids: would your child
recognize a nuclear mushroom cloud for what it is and what it means?
post #103 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

Just curious......to parents here with young kids: would your child
recognize a nuclear mushroom cloud for what it is and what it means?

Not a chance - yet. But, sadly, they know what a southern NYC sky filled with smoldering smoke for over a month means.
post #104 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM

Jericho will be re broadcast Saturday on CBS in HD,
for those who missed all or part of it on Wednesday.

8pm ET/PT, 7pm CT/MT.

Skeet was here in Utah doing a promotional tour to all the CBS O&O's, and the subject of no mountains between Kansas and Denver was brought up, to be met by groans by both Skeet and his publicist,
I guess they're a bit tired of it.

I didn't really watch, as I was airing it, so I HD TiVo'd it for possible watching later.
It seemed though, every time I paid attention while I was airing it I saw content that was hashed to death by the promos, mushroom cloud over mts, kids in school bus, radio silence.
At least they got all of that out of the way in the premiere, so maybe the next episode will be "new".

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #105 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not a chance - yet. But, sadly, they know what a southern NYC sky filled with smoldering smoke for over a month means.

This is way off topic, but that just brought a tear to my eye...and I am a cynical bastard (with no children) .
post #106 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg28 View Post

And I find nothing interesting about the characters and/or the actors playing them.

Not even Sprague Grayden?? I'm a big fan of hers.
post #107 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't impressed. I agree with the earlier comment that the only compelling actor is Gerald McRaney. But I'll give it a little more time to see how it goes.

Hal
post #108 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 08:28 PM

The blond chick is hot. Didn't she play batman and cat woman's daughter a few years ago?
post #109 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM

thank you mullet34 for your reply that song has been on my mind for a long time!! I hope this show pans out although i have afeeling it will only last one season.
post #110 of 3245 Old 09-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Ok, I watched it, By no means am I a nuclear physisicist (i cant even spell it, take that grammar school)

Anywho, considering there have been so few shows, its a good thing to have one, no matter how flawed. (And TDA was one of the best out there, great)

Quite a few issues however.

We are assuming that they were nuclear blasts (99.999% that they were, due to the mulitiple strikes and radiation)

Second off, the initial blast, the EMP would have killed power, lights, cell phones etc, not made the TV's snowy, and cell phones disconnect, you could make the claim that they were just far enough away from the blast , but there towers were close enough, but it bogus, back in 62, a test knocked out streetlights in hawaii, from the EMP, and the test was only around 2 megatons, and was near 800 miles away.

Third, the kids mother, would have definately seen the flash, and the EMP would have taken the phone out then, not after you hear the pressure wave, and the "Oh my god"

Fourth, the old Geiger counters, were the old nice ones from Civil Defense, they would not have been calibrated mostlikely, dead batteries, and they did a quick inside check -> like thats gonna do any good.

Fifth, back to the blast, if they were in kansas, and saw it, it had to be mighty large, and that definately woulda knocked out power/cable etc, the CARS themselves, etc.

Sixth, Back in the day some select central offices were hardned, but figgure the ravages of time, fair enough on the phones not working.

The big flaw, is the lack of an EMP, outside of denver or atlanta, it just bugs me, power etc, should have been dead if tv towers and radio went out (you cant be 200 miles away, and get a strong tv signal, and a strong radio signal in a moving car, or a cell phone signal without some crazy high powers.

I suppose they shoulda checked up on some of this stuff, minor nitpicks, but huge issues. The guy on the message shouldnt have said "look at this" , if he was looking, he would have been flash-blinded by the blast itself, and the phone would have cut out (and NOT going to a dial tone, like everything does)

Comments? Heh. You can say TV license, but meh. Would a nuclear physiscist (sp!) comment (if we have one in-house)
post #111 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 AM

As someone already said upthread, EMP effects are much less widespread if a nuke is detonated on the ground as opposed to an air burst. The one mushroom cloud we saw quite clearly involved the ground (air bursts do not). Therefore any EMP event would be quite limited in scope and would not affect Jericho hundreds of miles away.
post #112 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill View Post

As someone already said upthread, EMP effects are much less widespread if a nuke is detonated on the ground as opposed to an air burst. The one mushroom cloud we saw quite clearly involved the ground (air bursts do not). Therefore any EMP event would be quite limited in scope and would not affect Jericho hundreds of miles away.

Actually low attitude airbursts do produce mushroom clouds as well. Other than that you are correct that the lower the weapon is detonated the less widespread the EMP effects are. When somone says one or two nukes could cause widespread EMP effects, they are referring to very high altitude airbursts.

Since we can be reasonably sure that ballastic missiles were not used (we would have gotten early warning), that leaves cruise missiles and weapons delivered via truck...these would have been at or very near ground level. This means, lots of fallout and localized EMP effects, less blast / heat effect.

As mentioned above, you would not have seen the mushroom cloud from that distance...but you would notice that the sky just got a whole lot brighter (especially versus a normal 6pm sky, there were clocks shown on screen before the explosion.) The mushroom cloud was placed there to make sure everyone was on the same page as to what was happening.

-- Jim
post #113 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

How convient that no one, especially the cops/mayors office, has a Sat phone.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #114 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

How convient that no one, especially the cops/mayors office, has a Sat phone.

I think if you did a survey of all the mayor and police departments in this country you would find that very few had them.

Also, if the terrestial network is down...who are you going to call?

What I do find puzzling is that the local ham radio operator does not have a shortwave radio or scanner.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #115 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

I suppose they shoulda checked up on some of this stuff, minor nitpicks, but huge issues. The guy on the message shouldnt have said "look at this" , if he was looking, he would have been flash-blinded by the blast itself, and the phone would have cut out (and NOT going to a dial tone, like everything does)

Comments? Heh. You can say TV license, but meh. Would a nuclear physiscist (sp!) comment (if we have one in-house)

Actually he wouldn't have been flash blinded. I've got Trinity: The Atomic Bomb movie and have watched it 10 times and at 200 miles away, the brightness would not be suficient enough to blind a person, temporarily, or permanently. If he was maybe 30-40 miles away, it would be a different story, but that part is accurately portrayed in the show.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #116 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

For a show that many on this forum have claimed to be a soon-to-be dud...you guys sure are talking a lot about it

Maybe, just MAYBE you think it's a bit better than what you've said...I'm not saying it's great by any means, but it's not terrible...it has some nitpicks, but when you think of the average american viewer, I don't think they're gonna say

"You can't see mountains in kansas!" More then likely, Uncle Joe-Bob is going to go to a map and say...but Kansas is right next to Colorado...of course you'd be able to...it's only like...an inch away from it (LOL).

Give it a couple weeks and see how it goes...

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #117 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

For a show that many on this forum have claimed to be a soon-to-be dud...you guys sure are talking a lot about it

Maybe, just MAYBE you think it's a bit better than what you've said...I'm not saying it's great by any means, but it's not terrible...it has some nitpicks, but when you think of the average american viewer, I don't think they're gonna say

"You can't see mountains in kansas!" More then likely, Uncle Joe-Bob is going to go to a map and say...but Kansas is right next to Colorado...of course you'd be able to...it's only like...an inch away from it (LOL).

Give it a couple weeks and see how it goes...

This show is obviously CBS's response to "Lost". When measured against "Lost", this show really is a disappointment. We expected a lot more.

The bad science is only the beginning of the problem. The reliance on cliche elements like escaped convicts, children in distress, incompetant cops, family squabbles, old high school romances, and the like, reminds me of a kid at the serve-yourself soda station mixing up what we used to call a "suicide".

It won't make it through the season.
post #118 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Liked: 12
I think the concept of this show is quite chilling especially if you keep reports like this in mind:
Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S.
Terrorists, bombs smuggled across Mexico border by MS-13 gangsters
post #119 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I was 13 or 14 and I remember reading about teens having committed suicide after having watched "The Day After." I doubt many felt the same impulse after watching "Jericho."

No suicides, but maybe a few people who were expecting a quality show were at least depressed.
post #120 of 3245 Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

No suicides, but maybe a few people who were expecting a quality show were at least depressed.

Heh, that's not a bad line.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page