'Jericho' on CBS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
As always, I'll give it three episodes to state its case for staying programmed in my DVR. I was on the fence, because it was running awfully close to one of those shows that I can't find anything redeeming in to make me watch more than the premiere. If a van load of midgets had happened by to help push the bus into town, the auto record would already be gone.

No, wait, scratch that. I think the show could have benefited from a van load of midgets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I usually give a show three episodes to grab me, and then I usually have to start weeding out those I don't want to add permanently to my DVR. Last season it was How I met your Mother, Threshold and Surface that lasted 3 episodes, and Invasion which lasted the whole season (until it was cancelled damnit)

This year I will pick one or two of the new shows, but with Heroes, Jericho and Studio 60, along with The Nine coming, one or more of them will have to go. It is like my own little reality TV show, who is getting booted after the first three episodes!

So far I like Jericho enough, and I think it has potential to stay the course, but it is WAY too early to tell after just one episode.
post #183 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM

I watched the show and will give it at least two more episodes before giving up. So far it looks like it might get stale quick. The cars and radios work but no TV's? No one in this town subscribed to Dish network or Directv? The electric has works for the telephone machine why not the rest of the electronics? How about XM radio? In this day and age it is very hard to completely isolate a town.

The biggest problem with the show I have is the way the depicted the only HAM radio operator as some kind of nut job. They only wanted his radio which would do them no good without antennas and someone qualified to use it. HAM radio is one of the most reliable forms of communications after a disaster and has saved many lives.
post #184 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencko View Post

I watched the show and will give it at least two more episodes before giving up. So far it looks like it might get stale quick. The cars and radios work but no TV's? No one in this town subscribed to Dish network or Directv? The electric has works for the telephone machine why not the rest of the electronics? How about XM radio? In this day and age it is very hard to completely isolate a town.

Cars and radios don't need electricity. They can run on gas and batteries.

The electric worked for the answering machine, in order for the kid to hear it, but then the power went completely out (they played it back for everyone else on a battery operated tape player).

Dish, DirecTV, XM, etc... are only going to work if stations are trasmitting signals to the birds in the sky. I believe the assumption of the show is that every major US city has been nuked, which would mean those sats. in the sky aren't receiving anything to bounce back to subscribers (even if they had power to run the sat. receiver).
post #185 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Haha it probably goes back to the old russian suitcase nukes....

Kevin Battenfield
post #186 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 PM

So I'm wondering, after they make all that big deal about radiation falling on Jericho, next ep they walk right out into it?
post #187 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone fill me in on what happened at the end? Thanks
post #188 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx View Post

Can someone fill me in on what happened at the end? Thanks

Everyone ended up making it to some kind of shelter and the black guy started marking up cities that had been hit on a map (every major city, at least I remember San Diego, Philadelphia, Denver, and Chicago...and he marked a couple others we didn't see too).
post #189 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj0577 View Post

Everyone ended up making it to some kind of shelter and the black guy started marking up cities that had been hit on a map (every major city, at least I remember San Diego, Philadelphia, Denver, and Chicago...and he marked a couple others we didn't see too).

Yea, I think the point there, by his hand dipping over and over into the bin of red push pins, was to show that basically the whole country was wiped out.

Now, what has happened to Canada and Mexico? Would you not have at least some communication and people coming in? Is this supposed to be WWIII?

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #190 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Based on the length of his list, there couldn't have been much more than eight or nine cities that he knew about. He also marked Atlanta, which we already knew about from the interrupted phone call in the previous episode.

This show has a very interesting premise, but some of the dramatic moments are a little over-the-top for my taste.
post #191 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM

OK, I like it. For a couple reasons...

Its interesting. It helps us face the possibility, which is all too real (Osama recently threatened us and warned all muslims to get out of America, right?)

I did some reading online about radioactive fallout, and I already knew something about it.

I think it could be a great way to get some useful understanding of Fallout into the heads of millions of Americans. On that score, they not doing as well as I would like. For example, that dude's description of dying of radiation exposure, well, it wasnt quite accurate. It depends on the dose. According to many civil defense web sites, a lot of victims may get initially sick, then get better. A couple to a few weeks later, they fall apart and die.

People need to know that for protection from fallout, you need about 2 feet of concrete, or 3 feet of dirt around you for at LEAST 48 hours, preferably 2 weeks.

There is the 7/10 rule. In 7 hours, fallout has reduced to ten percent its strength. In another 7 hours, its 1/10th of THAT. So it drops off more slowly as time goes on. This is as measured from the creation of the fallout, since its decaying all the time its on the way to Jerico. That mine is a great idea. The storm cellar is good, but they should pile up water and other dense objects between the door and themselves. Especially since they have no way of knowing what the exposure is or the strength of the fallout.

The rainfall is a bad deal. It brings down fallout much faster than drifting down. If the rain were just downwind of an attack site, the fallout could deliver a lethal dose in a couple minutes! (10,000 Rad/hour). That old yellow fallout survey meter from the first episode may or MAY NOT read adequately, if it want calibrated recently. Most failed units read low.

With about 300 Rads of accumulated exposure, about half the people will die.

But staying under HEAVY protection for 2 weeks would be your next best bet. I wouldnt want to be in a house with the windows taped. I would be in the BASEMENT, under HEAVY stuff.

So, not to depress anyone, its important in the day of possible nuclear terror, that any show do an accurate job of showing the danger, and the remedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_shelter

The most intriguing thing about the show is "what exactly happened?" We now know that up to a dozen US cities were hit, but who, and why? And most importantly, DID WE GET THEM BACK!?

LOL
post #192 of 3245 Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The morse code they let us hear...first time was "DELTA CODE DELTA 2 MINUTE WARNING"

Second time was "SCORE REMAINS SCORELESS"

Argee
post #193 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am through with this show. This show is out on two strikes [for me]. The actors are terrible to start with, and to top it off, the background score throughout last night's show was moronic and incongruous.

About the only saving grace was the black guy listening to the radio and pushing pins on the map showing that there was something bigger happening outside of our little Jericho. I'll pass. Thanks.
post #194 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj0577 View Post

My wife and I are thinking it is a military coup. We both found it very interesting that the cities he marked up were not some of your traditional large population centers, but rather all cities with major military presences nearby.

There was enough at the end of the second episode to keep us watching for a few more....
post #195 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm done with this steamer.
post #196 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Last night was the first time I watched, and during the recap at the beginning, I almost cried at the horror. I mean, did you see what they did to that 69 Road Runner??? I guess it makes more parts available for my 69 Road Runner convertible.

My slowly dying HR10-250 rebooted 3 times during the recording of it. The HR20 recording worked fine.

Atlas just shrugged!
post #197 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm staying with it. There have been a few images, like the kid on the roof staring at the mushroom cloud, and the box of red push-pins, that are worth the rest. Invasion started off slowly, and I am glad I stuck with it to the end.

Unfortunately, network execs do the same type of early weeding and shows that could develop are uprooted too soon. Actually, I'd like every new series to start out as a mini-series with a set number of episodes (maybe 7) that have a distinct beginning, middle and end story...with enough left over to have a go for a second round. At least that way, those who have invested some time aren't left with part 1 of a 2 part episode that never aired (or even got filmed).
post #198 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Saw last night's episode and I like it so far, although it's not great. The plot is interesting to me, in spite of the science issues (i.e. acknowledge they didn't get every piece of geography and science right).

Oddly, I agree completely with below. This was my biggest issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

...the background score throughout last night's show was moronic and incongruous...

I totally agree. You'd think someone would listen to these tracks along w/ the video. Really odd selections.
post #199 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think they have seven eps in the can. Not sure on status beyond that.

This show is getting the "it stinks, I am done watching crowd" to post and some of those same names will post every week saying how bad it is.

I will give it a couple more weeks.

Argee
post #200 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So from what I witnessed, Jericho has only one black guy in town - and he appears to be the bad guy. Now, I think Hollywood goes WAY over the top to be politically correct in most cases, often stretching "reality" to the breaking point, but didn't somebody - anybody - think it might not be a good idea to portray the only black person in Jericho as the baddy? I can't be the only viewer that a) thought about that and/or b) laughed out loud when it was revealed right? I'll stick with it for a few more shows, based almost solely on the red push pin scene during last night's conclusion. I thought that was excellent.
post #201 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by posg View Post

I'm done with this steamer.

Based on your comments after the first episode, I would have thought you would have been "done" with it back then. Are you going to be even more done with it after next week's episode? If so, be sure to post here and tell us!
post #202 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

So from what I witnessed, Jericho has only one black guy in town - and he appears to be the bad guy. Now, I think Hollywood goes WAY over the top to be politically correct in most cases, often stretching "reality" to the breaking point, but didn't somebody - anybody - think it might not be a good idea to portray the only black person in Jericho as the baddy? I can't be the only viewer that a) thought about that and/or b) laughed out loud when it was revealed right? I'll stick with it for a few more shows, based almost solely on the red push pin scene during last night's conclusion. I thought that was excellent.

How is he a bad guy? He simply withheld the information he had to keep the town from going into a panic.
post #203 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM

I really want to like this show.. Really.

It has a great premise, and lots of potential.

But the cliches and the overly dramatic moments are killing me. Plus I am one who has to have at least a little help with my suspension of disbelief. I mean come on, Skeet arrives just in time to shoot the bad guy, ok that is cliche. But the loud background music was only heard by us, not by the characters, so you don't think they would have heard him barrelling up in his truck? Give me a break!!!

Ok, and the girl? The two Prisoner Cops keep asking her if she is ok, and she keeps quickly catching herself from looking worried and puts on a happy face like nothing is wrong..... HELLO!! Am I the only one who remembers that she just possibly lost her boyfriend and she just found out that nuclear explosions went off all over the country!!! I think she can look worried and concerned and not have the "Cops" be suspicious.

There were some redeaming parts, I loved the scene with the push pins, as others have mentioned, and that scene alone will have me back at least one more week. But I am not sure if it will last on my timers for much longer than that.
post #204 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolard View Post

I really want to like this show.. Really.

It has a great premise, and lots of potential.

But the cliches and the overly dramatic moments are killing me. Plus I am one who has to have at least a little help with my suspension of disbelief. I mean come on, Skeet arrives just in time to shoot the bad guy, ok that is cliche. But the loud background music was only heard by us, not by the characters, so you don't think they would have heard him barrelling up in his truck? Give me a break!!!

Ok, and the girl? The two Prisoner Cops keep asking her if she is ok, and she keeps quickly catching herself from looking worried and puts on a happy face like nothing is wrong..... HELLO!! Am I the only one who remembers that she just possibly lost her boyfriend and she just found out that nuclear explosions went off all over the country!!! I think she can look worried and concerned and not have the "Cops" be suspicious.

There were some redeaming parts, I loved the scene with the push pins, as others have mentioned, and that scene alone will have me back at least one more week. But I am not sure if it will last on my timers for much longer than that.

I agree. There's a lot of potential and they're not even coming close. Really poor writing. It also seemed like we missed an episode or two between the pilot and last night's show.
post #205 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

There are a lot of possibilities for his character.

He could be exactly what he says he is and just wanted to avert a panic.

He could be a good guy (US military, FBI, CIA, etc) who trying to help the town to the best of his abilities and possibly organize a resistance movement.

He could be a disillusioned good guy (former US military or intelligence) who deduced what was about to happen but couldn't get his superiors to act on the information forcing him to take care of his family on his own.

He could be a disillusioned bad guy (terrorist or terrorist sympathizer) who got cold feet and decided to take care of himself and his family.

He could be a bad guy (terrorist, part of a plot to overthrow the govt., etc.) who is trying to infiltrate the town and shape their opinions and actions.

The next few episodes should be interesting.
post #206 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Based on your comments after the first episode, I would have thought you would have been "done" with it back then. Are you going to be even more done with it after next week's episode? If so, be sure to post here and tell us!

I recall saying I'd give it one more chance. I did. Now I am done watching and posting, promise.
post #207 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I didn't think the background music was that out of place. It certainly was a lot louder and more noticeable than background music usually is, but it definitely added that adrenaline feeling to the scene.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #208 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I'm staying with it. There have been a few images, like the kid on the roof staring at the mushroom cloud, and the box of red push-pins, that are worth the rest...

Loved the push-pin thing. Thinking he was going to stop at SD, then he kept reaching for another, and another, and another. Great moment.
post #209 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe they said the population of Jericho was 5,000. Yet the blond girl walking down the road didn't think it was strange to see two "Cops" that she's never seen before. A town of 5K, you should know the Sheriffs. They asked her "Where is the closest gas station". They are driving a Jericho Sheriff's car...what are they doing asking where the nearest gas station is? Were they not in Jericho anymore? If not, how did Bad Boy Son make it from the mine to that Ranch in the amount of time it took the blonde to go from channel 4 to 8 on the CB?

I felt last night's episode was a bad "Made for TV Movie". This one should have definitely been a Sunday night made for TV movie and not a series.

Tony
post #210 of 3245 Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

We've had 2 full episodes so far. How much real time is that supposed to have covered?

They said it would only take a couple hours for the fall out to arrive and yet from all the depicted adventures it seems much longer. So what am I missing here?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page