post #722 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

Absolutely hilarious episode. One of the best.

In addition to all the gems already mentioned:

Dwight appearing in the kids bedroom and in his rocking chair. Creepy.

Michael saying the bathroom wasn't right because "there was no room to cuddle."

Poor Toby.

Roy is downright scary...I never believed his "good boyfriend" side for a minute and the true Roy is now coming out.

What was the deal with the jetskis? I got the impression Roy told Pam that his brother got hosed on a deal on them, but then later it seemed like he made money off them since they were buying drinks and paying off the bartender. It also would explain why his brother looked at Pam so strangely when she said "sorry about the jetskis." Maybe that was something explained in the director's cut webisode.

Yeah...I didn't understand that either.

Tony
post #723 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm beginning to think now that it was some kind of insurance fraud scheme. IOW, he told Pam that they "lost" the jetskis somehow (stolen, destroyed, etc), but that they actually made money somehow off of the insurance.
post #724 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

What was the deal with the jetskis? I got the impression Roy told Pam that his brother got hosed on a deal on them, but then later it seemed like he made money off them since they were buying drinks and paying off the bartender. It also would explain why his brother looked at Pam so strangely when she said "sorry about the jetskis." Maybe that was something explained in the director's cut webisode

I took it to mean they were expecting to sell them for a few thousand and got a lot less than that. They then just blew any money that they did get for them by buying drinks and paying off the bar for the damage.

Kind of funny that Jim's new girl kept saying how she dated everyone there, but ended up only being a joke. Good job by the writing staff to show her personality a little bit more. I see the groundwork being laid for Jim to have a future in this company that he probably doesn't want to be in.
post #725 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

I'm beginning to think now that it was some kind of insurance fraud scheme. IOW, he told Pam that they "lost" the jetskis somehow (stolen, destroyed, etc), but that they actually made money somehow off of the insurance.

The impression I got was that he sold the jet-skis at a loss compared to what he paid for them, and then blew the rest of the proceeds at the bar.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #726 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 AM

Or he didn't want Pam to know that he was getting a nice payday from sale. Maybe he owes her (or someone else) money, maybe he doesn't want to spend it on her, etc...
post #727 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Dwight's party small talk: You know that line on the top of the shrimp? That's feces.
post #728 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Jeff View Post

Or he didn't want Pam to know that he was getting a nice payday from sale. Maybe he owes her (or someone else) money, maybe he doesn't want to spend it on her, etc...

I was thinking of something more like this. The insurance fraud may not have defined why the brother looked so odd when Pam said she was sorry about the Jet Skis. I wondered if it was a wedding gift for each other, and he kept all the money and made it sound like he didn't get much. I don't know.

Tony
post #729 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

I too noticed JJ Abrams directed the episode. of course, again we get no answers about Jim and Pam....and what the smoke monster in the jungle is all about!
post #730 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The impression I got was that he sold the jet-skis at a loss compared to what he paid for them, and then blew the rest of the proceeds at the bar.

That wouldn't explain the strange look Roy's brother gave when she said "sorry about the jetskis." He had a particularly surprised look on his face.

Yep, definitely could tell JJ Abrams directed this episode, lots of mystery.
post #731 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Dwight's party small talk: You know that line on the top of the shrimp? That's feces.

Classic Dwight.

Also loved how they brought "homemade" potato salad to a catered party.
post #732 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Classic Dwight.

Also loved how they brought "homemade" potato salad to a catered party.

And then Michael saying he wouldn't eat it as it was in his car all day with the boiling sun coming down on the mayonaisse.

Tony
post #733 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

That wouldn't explain the strange look Roy's brother gave when she said "sorry about the jetskis." He had a particularly surprised look on his face.

I also wouldn't explain the quick hand across the throat gesture that Roy made either. Don't think it was that important other than to start the "Roy isn't good for her" train.
post #734 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

A great episode. Dwight is becomming a favorite. Anyone else feel a little uncomfrtable when they watch Michael and Jan's relationship? That's exactly how they want us to feel. Brilliant!
post #735 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg28 View Post

...Dwight is becomming a favorite...

don't forget, Rainn Wilson is hosting SNL this weekend...should be worth checking out...musical guest is Arcade Fire...good band.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #736 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You know what this means. It's only a matter of time before Quentin Tarantino demands to direct an episode.

What would that be like? Let's see here... Andy returns to the office after weeks and weeks of anger management. He comes into Michael's office to thank him for showing him how to control his anger, then suddenly pulls a gun on him. He drags Michael into the warehouse and traps him in a coffin made of boxes of paper.

"Ha ha ha," Andy will chuckle. "Ironic isn't it? Trapped by the very product you've dedicated your life to! Ha ha ha." Andy will repeat that over and over until we all get it, our children get it, our children's children's get it, our pets get it, and half of America is screaming "We get it already!" at their TVs. Also Andy will be busy applying chapstick or doing some other mundane thing that bad guys do whenever they think they're in control in Tarantino's movies.

Meanwhile Dwight will do inept attempts at rescuing him, probably using fire extinguishers, bottles of water and a microwave. Maybe he'll shoot himself or something. Don't worry. Everything he does is funny. The Scranton police negotiator will be some washed up TV actor from the 70's like Randolph Mantooth or Kent McCord.

Then suddenly Jan will burst into the warehouse wearing a tight black leather outfit and a holding a machine gun that would give a weight lifter a hernia. She'll say some sort of Kill Bill remark and splatter Andy all over the warehouse, ruining a month's worth of inventory. How ironic, the product of their love soiled by the blood of... OK no irony there, just lots of blood. Of course she'll have to use C-4 plastic explosives to free him because something will need to blown up to represent their explosive love for each other.

You may be wondering what would be so funny about this but that's not important. Quentin Tarantino will insist that it was the funniest episode of the Office ever, pointing out the episode's ironic irony which is the basis of all humor. Remember, he thinks that Look Who's Talking is one of the funniest movies ever made.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #737 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

and another:
"Do you watch Battlestar Galactica?"
"No"
"You're an idiot"

What a hilarious episode. This is the only show that consistently makes me laugh out loud. It started with the straight jacket scene in the beginning. Michael too proud or embarrassed to admit defeat, even doing his camera monolog in the jacket!

They at least tried to explain Jan's interest in Michael, showing her desperate for a relationship and a chance at a "normal life". She feels her clock is ticking and Michael is there...
BTW, anyone else think Jan looked especially hot last night?

Shows that reach these heights can rarely sustain it for long - an actor or a writer leaves, or the magic is just gone after awhile. I think we are witnessing comedy brilliance at its peak. I don't know how they manage to put out such hilarious episodes week after week, but I will enjoy the ride while it's there.
Great stuff.
post #738 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Oooooo-kay then.... Don't know how we got off onto that anti-Tarantino diatribe, but whatever.

I like the fact that the show hasn't been actively promoting its guest directors as a ratings stunt. You just suddenly see a familiar name in the credits and shout "Hey!"

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #739 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oooooo-kay then.... Don't know how we got off onto that anti-Tarantino diatribe, but whatever.

We didn't. That was just me.

post #740 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the fact that the show hasn't been actively promoting its guest directors as a ratings stunt. You just suddenly see a familiar name in the credits and shout "Hey!"

It's also a good sign of a cool/hip show when famous directors (Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) want to guest-direct.
post #741 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

It's also a good sign of a cool/hip show when famous directors (Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams) want to guest-direct.

And it also makes it so less predictable and can count on at least 1 or 2 big surprises every week which makes it so much more fun to watch. I'm already bumming knowing the season is winding down, there is just nothing else with this level of comedy out there.
post #742 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is correct. Roy told Pam that his brother "sold his jetskis and took a bath on them" (I think that was the exact quote). So Roy got even madder that his brother had to spend the money he did get for them to pay for the bar damages.
post #743 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc8379 View Post

That is correct. Roy told Pam that his brother "sold his jetskis and took a bath on them" (I think that was the exact quote). So Roy got even madder that his brother had to spend the money he did get for them to pay for the bar damages.

That makes sense. I'll have to lookout for that on the rewatch.

On Karen:

I like her so much that I was already rationalizing for her sake when she was coming across as a "little loose" there at the party. It was getting tough there towards the end so I'm glad it was all a joke. Probably the same range of emotion that Jim was going through.
post #744 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

P.S. Has anyone seen the Office motivational posters?

post #745 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still don't get it. Then what was that look Roy's brother gave when Pam mentioned the jet skis?

Tony
post #746 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I still don't get it. Then what was that look Roy's brother gave when Pam mentioned the jet skis?

I figured he just didn't want his brother to know that he had told Pam about it. I think insurance fraud and all the other things that were mentioned are reading quite a bit into a story line on a sit-com, don't you think?
post #747 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

P.S. Has anyone seen the Office motivational posters?

Are these available in higher resolution somewhere? It might be fun to sneak into work after hours and swap the dumb ones we have with Office versions. I bet no one will notice for weeks since no one really looks at them.

One thing I thought would be a good running joke is how long it takes for the simplest things to get fixed in an office. LIke in the first season when they smashed the ceiling tiles putting up the Christmas tree, I expect chunks of tile to be hanging for weeks but someone fixed them! I would expect the hole Andy punched in the wall to be covered with one of these motivational posters until facillities patched it.

post #748 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Are these available in higher resolution somewhere? It might be fun to sneak into work after hours and swap the dumb ones we have with Office versions. I bet no one will notice for weeks since no one really looks at them.

Yes, it's on the NBC site in a size larger than the one I posted (800x400).

They're meant to be desktop wallpapers.
post #749 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think insurance fraud and all the other things that were mentioned are reading quite a bit into a story line on a sit-com, don't you think?

Probably. But there have been so many things supposedly explained by the "Directors Cut" webisodes (like Andy's absence that was *finally* explained on air last night), that I thought that might be the case here too.
post #750 of 1051 Old 02-23-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

He didn't take a bath on them. He probably made some pretty good money and was taken-aback by Pam saying "sorry."

He and Roy decided to blow the money (on drinks and eventually bar repair) instead.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page