post #4411 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
From http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/12/dex...he-world-ends/

Said better than I could about Deb/Dexter:

"Let me state this: I'm glad it finally took place. I am VERY curious to see how the show will handle this discovery going forward.

But, my goodness, I'm appalled at how it got there. Why the writers felt it necessary to throw in the disgustingly misguided notion that Deb is in love with Dexter is positively mind-boggling. Really? Is that the only way they could come up with her arriving at the church? Because she simply had to tell her sibling how she felt at that moment?

And, really, did the writers have so little faith in the Deb/Dexter relationship as it had been constructed that they had to conjure up this wayward storyline because they think the reveal will now have more of an impact on Deb? It's legitimately insulting to all those who have watched the show from the beginning.

The Deb and Dexter connection has been the focal point of the series. They have been brother and sister in every sense of the world. As I wrote last week, it's been refreshing and unlike any other male/female relationship on television. It's also simply been very well done. Did any viewer doubt the love between this pair? Did anyone feel it necessary to throw an incestual wrench into the show, as if extra gravitas was needed for when Deb finally found out her brother's secret?

And does anyone even think this development accomplishes that goal? Are you more curious to see Deb's reaction next year because she's in love with him, as opposed to "merely" loving him?!?

To watch Deb give Dexter some sort of lovelorn look when he got close to her was nothing short of gross and staggeringly tone deaf on the part of the writers. NOBODY wants to see these two together. (Okay, correction, in our poll of nearly 2,00 readers, 24% wanted to see them together. To all of them, I say: EWWW.)

Look, Dexter has been through three showrunners. Seasons four, five and six were each manned a different person. It's very difficult to maintain consistency in these situations and it's possible Scott Buck, the current head, wanted Deb to have feelings for Dexter all along, but he could only implement his vision now that he's in charge. I obviously have no idea.

But I do know that the constant changing-of-the-higher-ups has had an impact on the series as a whole. To many, myself included, season four was the apex; season five a letdown; and season six an outright mess. Am I anxious about where events now go on season seven, based on the final moment? Of course.

However, I'm also upset that this season really served as nothing more than a set-up for next season (can I get 11.59 hours of my life back, please?) and I'm absolutely mystified by the decision to mar the Deb/Dark Passenger discovery by the former's unnecessary, repulsive revelation of love. I'm more confused than angry. What ON EARTH are the writers thinking?"

PS: Wtf was that with Travis eating Cheerios like a pig in Dexter's apartment? Was that an eff-you from the writers to the fans who hate this Travis bit?

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I'm figuring what with Deb's shrink time and her new-found self assessment and awareness, she'll say, "So, I'm in love with yet another serial killer ... we can work it out." I mean, she's motivated now, right? New person and all.

So we get some hot monkey love Deb scenes, some new variations on the use of f**k in the English language, but to get anywhere as a couple, she has to join in the fun, crazy serial killer wise.

Won't take long for Deb to realize serial killer love is hot, and once they start doing it in the bloody kill rooms, she'll be ready for anything ... "oh, let me do this one, come on Dex, you have all the fun."

This all makes sense to me, but the problem I'm having is what Harry will have to say about it. "Okay, let me get this straight - you're screwing MY DAUGHTER!!?"

LOL!

The real question going into next season is WTF is she going to do now?

Romance?
No, not an option (definitely a turn-off for her).
Turn Dex in?
No, not an option (then we wouldn't have a show).
Dex kills her?
No, not an option (the audience wouldn't stand for it).

OK, so now we have a dead DK.
Now what?

One scenerio comes immediately to mind...
Deb needs to "get" the Doomsday Killer (from a professional and personal POV), as it's causing her to crack mentally.
She and Dex could make up a story where she and/or he were ambushed in the church and killed Travis in self-defence.

Or they transport the body somewhere else and have it "found."
Thus, the DK case is wrapped up nicely and Deb can decompress....and try to come to terms with the Dex situation.

I am sure there is million different ways of handling all of this dramatically.
Let's hear some!

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4413 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I am sure there is million different ways of handling all of this dramatically.
Let's hear some!

That's what the producer said the moment they realized the season was hosed and they'd written themselves into a hole. "Screw it, have Deb just walk in the kill room and see the knife go down" - "but why would Dex be somewhere she'd know about?" - "Look, we'll have all that stupid religious stuff in the room, the sword, statues, get it?" - "But no one will buy Deb just suddenly acting like a 12 year old emotionally, I mean she's tough from all that history, right?" - "Screw it, we'll figure it out next season" - .....
post #4414 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For the time being, I am going to give the incest element a chance to play out (despite some misgivings).
Hopefully, it will factor into Dex's eventual fate and not be completely irrelevant.

Will Deb switch modes to a mother figure and become Dex's protecter?
Will she ultimately force Dex to quit the Miami Homicide Division and stay at home to raise Harrison and/or even possibly marry him to THE secret a secret?
How would that go over downtown?

post #4415 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 161
On last night's "Stupid for Dexter" interview with Colin Hanks he neither confirmed nor denied (which is the lawyerly way of saying 'Yes') when asked if he had shot scenes that weren't used this season that will/could be used next season. Kind-of the same but really different from the Season 5 guest-star appearance by Julie Benz in the first episode. So, even though he'd have no lines, the body of Travis (or a very convincing lookalike mannequin) has got to feature prominently in the first episode of next season when Dex/Deb have their long-awaited first post-truth reveal conversation. Like oink says, once Deb gets over the shock of seeing her brother kill someone ritualistically (and so far that's all she knows, that her brother killed Travis Marshall... no inkling of a serial killer trail of bodies, yet) there is the matter of Travis. But, if Dex shows himself too versed in the act of staging a crime scene/disposing of a body, Deb will start questioning whether Dexter has been doing since long before Travis.
post #4416 of 6863 Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

That's what the producer said the moment they realized the season was hosed and they'd written themselves into a hole. "Screw it, have Deb just walk in the kill room and see the knife go down" - "but why would Dex be somewhere she'd know about?" - "Look, we'll have all that stupid religious stuff in the room, the sword, statues, get it?" - "But no one will buy Deb just suddenly acting like a 12 year old emotionally, I mean she's tough from all that history, right?" - "Screw it, we'll figure it out next season" - .....

IIRC, the decision to renew the show was made not long ago (probably after this season was shot).
If you think about it a moment, this last episode would have been a great way to end the series.
Just like the Sopranos...it would allow the audience create their own coda for the fate of Deb and Dex.

post #4417 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

IIRC, the decision to renew the show was made not long ago (probably after this season was shot).
If you think about it a moment, this last episode would have been a great way to end the series.
Just like the Sopranos...it would allow the audience create their own coda for the fate of Deb and Dex.

Come on man. We can spray air freshener on this patty all day and it'll still poof the room with the wrong scent.
post #4418 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Remember that, up until a few weeks ago, the name of this final episode was 'The Electric Chair' before they changed it a few weeks ago into 'This is the Way the World Ends.' And on the "Stupid for Dexter" show Colin Hanks mentioned that the script for the season finale was changed from what he was told would be his character's arc that had Travis living to the kill room scenes we saw last night. Hanks even said Scott Buck told him the lines Travis would say would be identical, but the only differences would be that he (Travis) would die and Deb would be there to witness the kill.

Something tells me that, once the writers began to feel comfortable they had more episodes of "Dexter" to tell (i.e. negotiations for the next two seasons were wrapping-up with a few episodes of this season left to produce), they switched whatever they planned for the finale (which could have ended with a Morgan stand-off, her with gun and him with knife, leading up to a cut-to-black shot in which we hear a gun being fired and knife hitting bone... perfect ending?) and just left it as a giant-ass teaser/big reveal to get the fans revved-up for next season. And holy s***, can you think of any "Dexter" viewer who sees last night's final scene that won't tune in next season to see how it goes down? The season premiere of "Dexter" next year will set network ratings like crazy. It's a moment six-seven years in the making, and the writers/producers managed to squeeze 72 episodes (of all kinds: great, good, mediocre and outright bad) out of a limited-by-credulity concept before having to finally have someone important in Dexter's life (besides 'guests' like Lumen and those illegal immigrants on the boat! ) find out what Jennifer Carpenter found out not too long ago: Dexter's no angel.

Looking at the season artwork now with 20-20 hindsight, this familiar pre-stabbing motion of Dexter's is exactly how Deborah saw her brother the moment she walked into the church. See? The writers were telling us all along, 'this is how Deborah will see her brother....' NOT! Also, am I crazy or is the shirt that Dex is wearing in this poster the same shirt Travis took from Dexter's closet that the latter looked upset to find Travis wearing when transporting him to the church? Also, Dexter's head looks deliberately phony as if the writers want us to think the head doesn't even belong there. Is this a subliminal 'tableaux' about the twist of Travis and Gellar being dark dopplegangers to Dexter and (his unseen in last night's finale) Harry? Yes, it's late and I should go to sleep.
post #4419 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has there ever been a character more unlucky in love than Deb Morgan? I believe I say this every season of “Dexter,” but the misfortune of Deb’s personal attachments reached a new low tonight. This low happened to coincide with what is possibly the most shocking finale the series has ever featured (depending on how you rank Rita’s death). Big picture, it’s almost funny how the show’s writers pick Deb Morgan up each season just to drag her through the mud. There was a point in tonight’s episode where I was worried that Deb would commit suicide, and after the finale, I wonder if her character wished she had.

The finale was all Deb and everything else just details that may or may not be addressed in the next season.
... But Deb Morgan has had the worst day out of everyone, and that’s including her brother. Deb is almost pitifully overcome when Dexter returns the “I love you” she gives him after he returns from his shipwreck. Then, at the crime scene where Travis murdered a couple in order to use their place as a hideout, Deb’s visibly anxious around Dexter and is so for the duration of the episode. Jennifer Carpenter/Deb have come such a long way since this show began that once again I want to give her props for owning this finale. After last week’s episode, I thought that maybe Deb's feelings for Dexter were just a funny idea she briefly entertained, but tonight she admits to her therapist that she does indeed love Dexter in a way that most sisters don't love their brothers.

I disliked this story line because it didn’t seem terribly natural. Deb and Dex have always had a brother/sister relationship that seemed somewhat stilted and goofball. When Deb explains that all the other men she’s been with in her life are somehow the opposite of Dexter, I didn’t see this at all, unless “opposite” just means “not a serial killer” (and obviously this observation is exceptionally mendacious when it comes to one Brian Moser). Moreover, it’s rather astounding that Deb could be in love with someone who barely seems to register her existence. All season long, the second Deb’s left Dexter’s sight she’s been out of his mind. I’m not sure if once, all season, Deb was the subject of one of Dexter’s monologues. If they weren’t brother and sister, Dexter would barely know Deb was alive.

...I felt fatigued by the whole light/dark story in general. It seems like the show has devoted a lot of attention to who or what Dexter is and whether he’s good or bad. I want him to get on with just being, and finding a new problem, existential or otherwise. Well, I may have gotten what I wished for.

Right as he’s about to kill Travis, Dexter expresses pleasure at reverting to the equilibrium with which the season started: “Maybe there is a place for me in this world, just as I am. Maybe everything is exactly as it should be.”

But everything is not exactly as it should be, because Dexter and Travis are not alone in the church. Deb enters, just as Dexter’s delivering his self-satisfied monologue. She turns the corner and she sees her brother, her newly beloved, stab Travis Marshall through the heart with a sword. So much for taking control of her life.

“Oh God,” Dexter says when he realizes that Deb witnessed him murder the man she's been trying to catch. And that’s all we’ve got until next season.

I loved the shocking twist and can’t wait to see what happens next between Dexter and Deb. This season flagged in the last few weeks and the finale certainly poured some life back into it. “Deb learns the truth about Dexter” is a card the writers have been holding onto for a long time and I’m glad they finally threw it down. I hope the Morgans are forced to address this seriously in the next season and that something silly doesn’t happen like Deb faints and thinks it was all a dream. And I hope Deb will now reconsider her love for Dexter, and maybe sign up for a few more sessions of therapy.

-By Claire Zulkey, Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...sacrifice.html)
post #4420 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Something tells me that, once the writers began to feel comfortable they had more episodes of "Dexter" to tell (i.e. negotiations for the next two seasons were wrapping-up with a few episodes of this season left to produce), they switched whatever they planned for the finale

My point exactly.

post #4421 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the Zulkey analysis.

post #4422 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3mes1 View Post

unfortunately I think the finale was ruined for me, read spoilers if your interested, I hope I am wrong

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I follow Jennifer Carpenter on twitter, who joined twitter last Sunday while out to dinner with Julie Benz(Rita). On Wednesday she makes a post, damn I am going to be on a plane during the finale, I am going to miss all my friends freak out. Then I read somewhere else, MCH said todays finale does not have a happy ending. Why do actual characters of the show make any comments like this. Right now to me Deb is going to die tonight.

I will respond tonight or tomorrow morning to this post

Phew, I was wrong

Seriously Jennifer Carpenter posted on twitter again yesterday saying she was going to miss the end while in London, so I was disappointed that a cast member would give away so much, but I am happy I was wrong

Plus I saw that ending coming with about 10 minutes left

Here is Jennifer Carpenters tweet:
In London, missing the finale! Ur going to see the end before I do! They cut out the last half of the finale from the rough cuts... Torture!

plus what about the arm/hand that the intern mailed, will Dexter ever know?

Xbox name- D0NGINAT0R (those are zero's in my name)
post #4423 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The whole episode/season was a hallucination brought on by Dexter swallowing to much sea water.
post #4424 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing about the start of the next season. Travis did, in a very lame way, threaten Harrison. Dexter could use that as an excuse of why he killed Travis making it seem more of a revenge killing than a serial killing. Of course, he have a bunch of explaining to do about the circumstances. In other words, I am a bit worried that Deb, given how blind she has been to Dexter and how she has ignored almost every clue about him, that the conflict could be resolved short of the Deb actually finds out everything about Dexter.

post #4425 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah Debra is in love now she will be able to justify the kill after she finds out Harrison was threatened. Travis also tried to kill her with a bomb.
I am wondering how JC and MCH can do these scenes after really being intimate and getting divorced.
post #4426 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
"Oh God!" exactly what I said when Deb walked in...

I can predict Deb protecting Dexter, stage Travis death, like "we found Travis dead, self inflicted stab thru the heart, case over"

Then I can't imagine what kind of conversations Dex and Deb will have in the future.. like Deb asking Dexter "this isn't the first time isn't it?"

Man I can't wait so many months..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #4427 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

One thing about the start of the next season. Travis did, in a very lame way, threaten Harrison. Dexter could use that as an excuse of why he killed Travis making it seem more of a revenge killing than a serial killing. Of course, he have a bunch of explaining to do about the circumstances. In other words, I am a bit worried that Deb, given how blind she has been to Dexter and how she has ignored almost every clue about him, that the conflict could be resolved short of the Deb actually finds out everything about Dexter.

I was going to post something similar as well.

Thoughts:
Dex could have a "multiple" plausable excuse for Deb:

A) - That Travis kidnapped his son & took him to the roof where he almost killed both of them ( and he has "The Nun" who saw the 'kidnapping' as a "witness" ) ... and:

B) Telling Deb that Travis also actually kidnapped him last night, stole his boat, said he would murder her nephew next, & tossed him into that ocean/fire to die . (Deb & others already know he "fell Off" his boat, that same nite as the offshore ring of fire, & that his boat washed ashore) ...

Elaborating on these 'excuses could pacify Deb enough to believe him, .. yet still plant the seeds for her to start to doubt/investigate him in future episodes ..
( Dex couldn't "trust" the legal system when it came to his & his son's life, Travis was out for them next ( defaced wall painting), ect ...

The Intern hand-shipper may already know about Dexter's secret, this would explain his fixation on Dexter, & the unexplained shipping of the evidence piece directly to Dexter..
His super hacking & investigating abilities could easily have uncovered all the inconsistancies & mistakes Dex has made over the past seasons ( 911 recordings & all ect) ...

Oh, & I hope they dump the incest plotline real quick ....
post #4428 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I hate to nitpick, but several have referred to this as incest. Maybe that's just the easy way refer to it, but it is NOT incest. Dexter and Deb are not blood related.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #4429 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

90% of this season, including the finale, gets about a 9.5 on the Lame-O-Meter.
What a let down.

Agreed. I rolled my eyes so many times during the finale I gave myself a headache.
post #4430 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thoughts:

A) - That Travis kidnapped his son & took him to the roof where he almost killed both of them ( and he has "The Nun" who saw the 'kidnapping' as a "witness" ) ... and:

B) Telling Deb that Travis also actually kidnapped him last night, stole his boat, said he would murder her nephew next, & tossed him into that ocean/fire to die . (Deb & others already know he "fell Off" his boat, that same nite as the offshore ring of fire, & that his boat washed ashore) ...

Elaborating on these 'excuses could pacify Deb enough to believe him, .. yet still plant the seeds for her to start to doubt/investigate him in future episodes ..
( Dex couldn't "trust" the legal system when it came to his & his son's life, Travis was out for them next ( defaced wall painting), ect ...

The Intern hand-shipper may already know about Dexter's secret, this would explain his fixation on Dexter, & the unexplained shipping of the evidence piece directly to Dexter..
His super hacking & investigating abilities could easily have uncovered all the inconsistancies & mistakes Dex has made over the past seasons ( 911 recordings & all ect) ...

If he were looking for a hail marry excuse, it seems like the easiest one would just be that Travis jumped him at the church and Dex turned the tides and was so enraged that he killed him.

Deb already knew Dex was going to be at the church and it's plausible enough that Travis would go back there, see that someone else was in there, and try to kill them.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #4431 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

But that makes actually killing Travis at the church ridiculously stupid. Of course, we've been noting that Dex has been getting very sloppy of late, so maybe that's consistent with his character.

I was almost sure the show was going to do a fake-out and that Dex and Travis were actually on that boat next to the Slice of Life that Dex had set-up to off Travis as Deb walked into an empty church. Oh well, who cares!?!? Deb knows, yipee!!!
post #4432 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

If he were looking for a hail marry excuse, it seems like the easiest one would just be that Travis jumped him at the church and Dex turned the tides and was so enraged that he killed him.

Deb already knew Dex was going to be at the church and it's plausible enough that Travis would go back there, see that someone else was in there, and try to kill them.

Cept that he has Travis wrapped in plastic so the heat of the moment argument is going to be a tough sell. The angry kill might still work. I just hope that the writers don't stoop to that.

post #4433 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Oh well, who cares!?!? Deb knows, yipee!!!

The loyalty and degree of forgiveness of you die-hard Dexter fans really astounds me.
post #4434 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thoughts:

His super hacking & investigating abilities could easily have uncovered all the inconsistancies & mistakes Dex has made over the past seasons ( 911 recordings & all ect) ....

Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Cept that he has Travis wrapped in plastic so the heat of the moment argument is going to be a tough sell. The angry kill might still work. I just hope that the writers don't stoop to that.

Maybe Dex was trying to "save" Travis by removing the knife when Deb walked in.
Did she actually see him stick the knife in?
OK, that would be a lame explanation.

Maybe Dex was forced to kill him because Travis wanted to become THE MEGA SACRIFICE....in his hideout of a church.
And If Dex didn't do it, Harrison and/or Deb would be harmed by accomplices because another stealth wormwood team would unleash a massive attack.
After all, Travis had already proven his ability to put together one wormwood team.

However, I just don't see how Deb can generate enough mental dissonance to ignore what she saw and heard.
I just can't.
Yeah, she just had a severe mind f*ck, but still....

post #4435 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Am I missing something? They recovered all those bags, a truck-load of 'em. Presumably they examined the remains? Found a single stab would to the chest in each one? Found a single cut on the right cheek on every head? So ...

My view of this show is that with any fiction, the premise doesn't matter in terms of the audience buying your story, it's all about the internal logic. I enjoy Roger Ebert and for decades one of his most often stated objections to bad movies has been characters doing dumb things to get the plot where it needs to be.

This show has become an exercise in this. I'm not offended by it because it's so over the top, so transparent, so truly horrible that it's fun. New college drinking game - every time a clunky foreshadow appears. Talk about getting wasted

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #4436 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

I hate to nitpick, but several have referred to this as incest. Maybe that's just the easy way refer to it, but it is NOT incest. Dexter and Deb are not blood related.

Great point, and more importantly the showrunners are not thinking of it as incest.They went to great pains early on to show they were not related by blood, and were careful to remind us of it before starting the arc. And its kinda funny that the whole idea is so shocking-he's a serial killer! No matter how much we have come to identify with him and like the guy, he's still a monster who relishes the kill. And the writers had to have a reason for Deb being alone, with all her affairs ending so badly. Is it really more taboo for them to have romantic feelings, compared to what we have already seen? The show has always been building to this, and thats my problem. To have the basic conflict at the heart of the series finally resolved so clumsily is what I find so shocking. Everything seemed so contrived and sloppy, all believability sacrificed in a blind rush to get to that final scene. Not to mention how the carefully crafted character of Deb, so well established over six years by the writers and JC, was just thrown away in order to service the storyline. Having her nearly swoon each time Dexter was near, acting like a doey eyed teen, was even more unbelievable than the whole sea rescue or the cops not entering the murder scene or Travis blindly believing Dexter would really drug himself or...it goes on and on. It would have been more in character for Dexter to join the priesthood than the way Deb behaved in this episode.In her own way she has always been as strong and clever as Dex himself, the yin to his yang. Now, she's ...what? I don't know, but I'm kinda dreading the next season as much as I want to see what happens. I'm afraid they're going to pull an "Anatomy of a Murder" number and have Dex convince Deb he was in the grip of an "irresitable impulse" and she's going to buy it so the show can go on its merry way. Another copout...Look, I've gone to great lengths to defend this season, any of my posts show that.But to have the pivotal moment of the show just thrown away so casually, in an attempt to save the worst episode they've ever had seems such a waste.
End of rant. And yes, I'll still be watching, damn it.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #4437 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Great point, and more importantly the showrunners are not thinking of it as incest.They went to great pains early on to show they were not related by blood, and were careful to remind us of it before starting the arc.

Nonetheless, it still has a very ickey feeling to it.

Quote:

character of Deb, so well established over six years by the writers and JC, was just thrown away in order to service the storyline.

FWIW, I tend to think characters should ALWAYS be at the service of the storyline.

Quote:

Now, she's ...what?

THAT is the big question going forward....

The show has finally reached the beginning of its ending.
Now, we can speculate over the next 9 months all about that.

post #4438 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:

Nonetheless, it still has a very ickey feeling to it.

FWIW, I tend to think characters should ALWAYS be at the service of the storyline.

THAT is the big question going forward....

The show has finally reached the beginning of its ending.
Now, we can speculate over the next 9 months all about that.

Noooooo, I neeeeed Dexter to press on! Deb finding out had to happen, it has been building to that forever. Agreed, characters should service the storyline, in fact I'd argue that we've had too many regulars on the show, we need more Dokes moments IMO ala 24... no one is safe!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #4439 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Deb finding out had to happen, it has been building to that forever.

I agree.
IMO, it is the central tension of the entire Dexter Universe....
All the other subplots pale in comparison.

Quote:

I'd argue that we've had too many regulars on the show, we need more Dokes moments IMO ala 24... no one is safe!

OK....now, who should go during the next 2 seasons?
When and/or under what circumstances?

BTW, the wife still thinks Deb might crumble and off herself...she might be right.

post #4440 of 6863 Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You know, if Dex had just taken one for the team he wouldn't be in this situation. From several episodes back I kept saying to my wife that he needs to let Deb "win one", catch the killer and be a department hero, or at the very least, solidify her position as L.T. and I thought that with his 911 call that he was going to let that happen. He can't keep making the MMPD look bad by making the bad guys all go away.

My take on the way the ending should have gone down:
Dex takes Travis to the church as planned, restrain him and go through his whole monalog and kill Travis, then make it look like he came to the church with the intent on avenging Dexter for killing his plan. Then call Deb and have her "discover" what appears like a justifiable kill. Its a win win situation for everybody, Dexter gets his kill and Deb gets the killer.
Deb can still feel like there is something wrong with the picture and the next two seasons could have been spent trying to uncover the truth rather than hit us over the head with the reveal all at once. Oh well but what do I know?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page