Dexter on SHO - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This shouldn't be a funny show but it sometimes is, like when Rita calls Dex as he is getting rid of Chino and he says " oh i'm just dropping somebody off" Hilarious!
A.F.A. his facial expressions, has anyone else thought The Grinch except more sublte?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
After Brotherhood last night they did the previews for next week's Dexter and did a short little interview with Showtime's antiheroes, Michael of Brotherhood and Dexter. It was interesting how each saw the character they were portraying. Well worth seeing if you can can catch it, it's part of that filler they use between episode start times.
post #453 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 View Post

Well this second season of the TV show takes little hints from the third book but also has started to have it's own plot lines.

The second book would make a great season.

I just finished reading the third book, "Dexter in the Dark," and the only similarity I could see was that Dexter lost his stone killer mojo for awhile in both venues. I thought that the third book was ultimately disappointing. Despite the usual quota of Dexter's funny one liners and creepiness, I thought that Lindsay relied way too much on occult mumbo jumbo in "Dexter in the Dark." Still, bad Dexter beats no Dexter at all.

This season is off to a great start. The writing is both funny and engaging. The rapturous expression on Dexter's face as he was offing this week's villain was a hoot. And, as others have noted, his decision to admit to an addiction (which was, sure as hell, the truth) was also wonderful.
post #454 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I just finished reading the third book, "Dexter in the Dark," and the only similarity I could see was that Dexter lost his stone killer mojo for awhile in both venues. I thought that the third book was ultimately disappointing. Despite the usual quota of Dexter's funny one liners and creepiness, I thought that Lindsay relied way too much on occult mumbo jumbo in "Dexter in the Dark." Still, bad Dexter beats no Dexter at all.

That's what I meant but didn't want to come right out and say it for those still reading the book. I'm about 2/3 through with it. And it's not as good as the first two no doubt.

I love the books story line with Rita to this point the whole concept of it keeps me in laughing.
post #455 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Yes, that's an ear worm . Got one myself recently from the movie, "The White Countess" on TV. A nasty worm, too, because the familiar song causing it was sung in Chinese. Finally banished it with help from this short youtube video , apparently featuring the same singer. -- John

Ear worm, huh? Wasn't that what Khan tossed into Chekhov's helmet to get him to reveal the Federation's plans for New Genesis? Not sure If I've heard that term before and forgot it or not, but I like it and it will certainly become a part of my lexicon going forward.

Funny that your last ear worm was a song sung in Chinese, because the last (pre-Dexter) E.W. I had was a song sung in Japanese from a short-lived very cool anime series called "Paranoia Agent". That one was so bad, I finally had to take a power drill to my frontal lobe. .

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #456 of 6863 Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I've seen this mentioned more than once, and wonder if some of you didn't see the "teaser" they aired during the credits of the first episode? They showed him in an AA type meeting, and his cute female sponsor. I won't write anymore, but it seems they gave away a lot of plot points of future episodes in that teaser.

Hmm, I guess I did miss that. It was interesting that they showed short previews of the whole season that time, as opposed to next weeks ep; and this week showed no preview at all.

Hal
post #457 of 6863 Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to drop into this thread and say I am absolutely hooked on this show! What did everyone think of tonight's episode?
post #458 of 6863 Old 10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
This was, by far, the best episode so far this season. Had the right amount humor and drama and advanced the story perfectly. And aren't all used car salesman evil?
post #459 of 6863 Old 10-14-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

This was, by far, the best episode so far this season. Had the right amount humor and drama and advanced the story perfectly. And aren't all used car salesman evil?

Great ep, and I've enjoyed all of them so far this season.

And depite his tragic past, Dexter is probably the cleverest and luckiest sonuvabitch on the face of the planet. From being the one who Harry carried first out of the massacre aftermath, through the many things over both seasons suggesting that he has, in certain respects, led a charmed life; through Paul's demise; and now Rita inadvertently offering him the salvation for his Doakes' problem.

Too bad, I was looking forward to his 'modest proposal' to resolve the Doake's issue. Aw, who am I kidding? I still want Doakes to get knocked off.

Anyone else think Lundy might be playing Deb, and has info on the ITK's background which might link him to Dex?? Just a thought.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #460 of 6863 Old 10-14-2007, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Although this episode wasn't as intense as last week's (I was literally on the edge of my seat while Rita slowly dragged a confession out of Dexter about Paul and Dex's "addiction") it had a nice mix of laughs and plot movement to compensate for the predictability. I love it when Dex's victims talk to him and give him valuable advice (like the couple of illegal immigrant smugglers from the first season) trying to buy their freedom, only to be cut short... literally! Looks like the showdown between Doakes and Dexter has cooled down a bit (good for those of us that love Doakes and want him to stay around) but that new woman in Dex's life looks like trouble. The look in Rita's face when she met Dexter's sponsor (nice that the show ended on that note), Dex ending with a new 'mommy mobile' with spacious backroom (which will come in handy in future episodes) and Doakes' threat to Dex ('You owe me a new Michellin you mother f***er') all had me laughing out loud. And poor Deborah is once again caught in the web of a serial killer she loves and can't see is right in front of her. What a show! Showtime rulz!
post #461 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 AM

That smile of Jaime Murray could make the most pious of catholic priests fall!
post #462 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Although this episode wasn't as intense as last week's (I was literally on the edge of my seat while Rita slowly dragged a confession out of Dexter about Paul and Dex's "addiction") it had a nice mix of laughs and plot movement to compensate for the predictability. I love it when Dex's victims talk to him and give him valuable advice (like the couple of illegal immigrant smugglers from the first season) trying to buy their freedom, only to be cut short... literally! Looks like the showdown between Doakes and Dexter has cooled down a bit (good for those of us that love Doakes and want him to stay around) but that new woman in Dex's life looks like trouble. The look in Rita's face when she met Dexter's sponsor (nice that the show ended on that note), Dex ending with a new 'mommy mobile' with spacious backroom (which will come in handy in future episodes) and Doakes' threat to Dex ('You owe me a new Michellin you mother f***er') all had me laughing out loud. And poor Deborah is once again caught in the web of a serial killer she loves and can't see is right in front of her. What a show! Showtime rulz!

Busy episode. The coming test of the FBI guys was set up nicely. Great writing, with the return to the group killing 2 birds (so to speak) it put him back in with Rita and, for a moment backs off Dokes. What a look he gave Dex just before surprising him with the `You're Busted' speech.
His new sponsor looks like a honey trap - we'll see

This Show Kills!
post #463 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I really enjoy what Doakes adds to the show. It is more comical than anything. Funny to see him as he comes to an understanding of Dexter (so he thinks). I wonder how that dynamic will pan out in upcoming episodes. "I got my eye on you muther f#*ker"

I think this new sponsor is going to be a great addition to the show. I like her already! Watch out Rita!

As rough and offensive as Dexter's sister can be (can't even remember her name, weird) there is something vulnerable about her that intrigues and fascinates me.
post #464 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

As rough and offensive as Dexter's sister can be (can't even remember her name, weird) there is something vulnerable about her that intrigues and fascinates me.

Debra - see here - http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/characters.do
post #465 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Dex made a mistake buying that car from the car salesman. Although I thought I heard the salesamn call Dex a different name. Too gratuitous it has to mean something down the road.

The FBI guy seems to be different than anticipated as he seems professional and very competent. The dialogue between Dex and him obviously tapped into his psyche.

IMO the pick up that Deborah had regarding the past rap sheets of the victims was the biggest advancement in the entire story line. They will figure it to be somone involved with the Police.
post #466 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade-itis View Post

Dex made a mistake buying that car from the car salesman. Although I thought I heard the salesamn call Dex a different name. Too gratuitous it has to mean something down the road.

This never occurred to me! Now he will have a connection to the used car salesman. Sloppy Dex . . . sloppy
post #467 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, Dexter actually buying the car from the salesman he killed will come back to haunt him...

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #468 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Guys, remember that the just-murdered car salesman is NOT amongst the crime victims or bodies the FBI is aware of. I'm assuming Dex has disposed on this guy's body so that he'll simply be missing for now and, eventually, pressumed dead. This might come back to haunt Dexter (if the FBI starts going through unsolved crime files they might come into the credit inquiries the creep used to select victims which Dexter used to nail the SOB that sold him a 'mommy mobile') but for the time being this isn't even in the Fed's (or Doakes') radar.
post #469 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah excellent episode last night.

I'm seeing a change from last season, a really good change. Last season was really good and this seems to be improving even more.
post #470 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Guys, remember that the just-murdered car salesman is NOT amongst the crime victims or bodies the FBI is aware of. I'm assuming Dex has disposed on this guy's body so that he'll simply be missing for now and, eventually, pressumed dead. This might come back to haunt Dexter (if the FBI starts going through unsolved crime files they might come into the credit inquiries the creep used to select victims which Dexter used to nail the SOB that sold him a 'mommy mobile') but for the time being this isn't even in the Fed's (or Doakes') radar.

It's not among the bodies that were just discovered but if he is found then I think it could easily be tied to the other Bay Harbor Butcher murders. The question is how is he disposing of the bodies now that his original spot has been compromised.
post #471 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM

The bodies are now being dumped in the gulf stream so it may show up in Deleware, Greenland, if at all.

Deb touched on the point that missing people had records. If I recall not all of Dexter's victims had a criminal record. The car salesmen didn't and I don't think the couple from season one did either.
post #472 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Another thing to consider regarding Dexter and the used car salesman. The plot is developing that all of the victims were either ex-convicts or suspected in a crime. This does not hold true for the salesman. The victims had semen samples collected that there were no DNA matches for in the PD databases. This would confirm both that he had no record, and that he also was not a suspect, or they would have ordered a collection for a match. This victim should be soon rushing along with the current to the mid atlantic, never to be seen again. Therefore no connection could be made to Dexter.

I, however, like you guys, felt it weird that he made any connection on paper, whatsoever, with any potential victim. The only way he could be linked to this crime would be through correlations after he was made a suspect in the others, not before, in my opinion.

Best episode of the season for me, and by far my favorite show on TV.
post #473 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If his body is discovered AND they have already made the connection of murderers/convicts are the M.O. then they could easily input the DNA from the body into the database and BAM!
post #474 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This begs the question if Special Agent Lundy has already thought of the Gulf Stream as a new potential dumping ground for the Bay Harbor Butcher and has already set-up perimeters around the Florida peninsula that the Coast Guard would monitor for potential floaters. Lundy is FBI so he has access to federal resources like the Coast Guard. Imagine if five or six episodes from now Dex's latest victims (the car dealer, little Chino, etc.) are brought to the new morgue for the team to examine because the Coast Guard (at Lundy's request) was monitoring Dex's new dumping ground.
post #475 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killi View Post

Another thing to consider regarding Dexter and the used car salesman. The plot is developing that all of the victims were either ex-convicts or suspected in a crime.

I don't think that is true.

There were several victims in season one that were not ex-convicts or under investigation, as far as we know. Presumably there are a number of others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killi View Post

Best episode of the season for me, and by far my favorite show on TV.

Same. My next two favorite shows (Damages and Heroes) don't even come close.
post #476 of 6863 Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I don't think that is true.

There were several victims in season one that were not ex-convicts or under investigation, as far as we know. Presumably there are a number of others as well.

Same. My next two favorite shows (Damages and Heroes) don't even come close.

True, but they did have a brief exchange between Debra and Lundy stating that so far 2 had convictions, and suggested a pattern. Also i think the preview said it moreso if i remember correctly about the convict/suspects theory
post #477 of 6863 Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

Yes, Dexter actually buying the car from the salesman he killed will come back to haunt him...

Maybe. Sales guy was not a Criminal so he wont fit the pattern that will emerge on Dexter.

Also the new female/sponser. Wonder if she's a killer also?
post #478 of 6863 Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Maybe. Sales guy was not a Criminal so he wont fit the pattern that will emerge on Dexter.

Also the new female/sponser. Wonder if she's a killer also?

I'm sure a plot line will develop later

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

The dark passengers can sense each other presence. It's talked about in all three books.

And he said hinted at that when he went to the first meeting
post #479 of 6863 Old 10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 View Post

I'm sure a plot line will develop later

Spoiler  

The dark passengers can sense each other presence. It's talked about in all three books.

And he said hinted at that when he went to the first meeting

Yep - and she could be anything, from a fellow killer to an FBI plant or other nemesis. Between her, Doakes, Rita's new awareness and the FBI, things are getting very crowded.
There were a few close calls last season, but for the most part he had room to operate. Not Now
post #480 of 6863 Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The dark passenger could also be an extreme addiction to drugs.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page