Dexter on SHO - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6863 Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm waiting for Rita to kill Lila in a jealous rage. Catfight for the ages brewing there...

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6863 Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Ok, I jsut got finished with watching Brotherhood which allows me to see previews for next episode. The only thing I dont like is that they always "seem" to give too much away . While I am sure its just some slick editing events for next week are going to be CRAZY. I still think that this show is one of the best on TV.
post #543 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 159
What a rollercoaster episode this turned out to be. And like any rollercoaster it had its peaks but also some seriously steep falls. For starters what I feared from last episode has come true: Harry Morgan was sleeping with Dexter's biological mother. I'm sorry but between this sordid revelation that compromises the backstory of Dex's origin (I liked the idea of Harry as an average cop that took Dexter into his family out of pity for how he found him and his older brother), the re-surfacing knowledge of Laguerta's relationship with Doakes (which indirectly ties with her scheme to get her old job back) and Dexter's own eventual infidelity with Lila last night's "Dexter" resembled a daytime melodrama more than the creepy-cool show I've known and loved. You have to admire that "Dexter's" characters are such a well-developed and complex bunch (brought to life by excellent actors) that, when Dexter and Lila starting doing it, I screamed at the top of my lungs 'NO DEXTER, DON'T DO IT!!!' (even though it was 1:30 in the morning and I'm sure it would wake up the neighbors) because I knew Rita would eventually find out and it would hurt her. At least its somewhat realistic that Dex would feel a natural (emotional as well as physical) attraction to a female specimen like Lila that he can confide more intimate stuff with than Rita. Dexter's deliberate truth slip about him and Lila to Rita was, in effect, Dexter's version of the same break-up Rita put on him earlier and shows that he's playing by a different set of rules now when it comes to his own happiness. Our boy is becoming selfish in his 'late blooming' years.

Yes, my fragile little mind is concerned and worried about the state of mind of fictitious TV characters. I need to get a life... OHH GREAT, THE VOICES ARE BACK!!! -- I swear I had to pause the DVR at that moment because the intense fit of laughter that line caused in me (actually it wasn't the line as much as the way Michael C. Hall's tone of voice changed when saying it) surely woke up the neighbors if my previous scream to Dex to stop doin' Lila didn't.

I also found the copycat Bay Harbor Butcher killer an unbelievable plot device for Dexter to kill somebody because he had to do it instead of feeling a need in him to kill. Wouldn't the police put a tail on the alleged BHB copycat (or watch his house) even if they couldn't get a search warrant? This could blossom into something big down the road (i.e. Dexter becoming an unremorseful serial killer, ala Henry from "Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer") since Dex's disenchantment with Harry and his code are clearly taking a toll on his devotion to Harry's rules. Maybe Lundy is on to Dexter and this phony BHB copycat (who turned out to be a real bad guy) was set-up by Lundy to lure Dexter out, to prove that Dex's his guy when the threat of FBI men "raining" over Miami was made clear. Or this was too convenient a series of coincidences to get Dex to kill somebody to appease the viewers that want blood and guts more often. You know, like in "The Sopranos" when they had to whack a no-name minor character every few episodes to keep the blood-thirsty viewers from bolting. Also the idea that Dexter could erase his videotaped marina clean-up with a Jr. high school fire drill (and hide behind a desk chair) stretched credulity a little too much for me. At least it was an excuse for the funniest moment of the entire episode: Mazuka in a red jacket with red glowing directional lights (in the middle of the day!!! ) threatening to use his 'hose' if anybody didn't leave immediately.

In fact Mazuka was "en fuego" throughout this episode (to make up for his absence from last week's "The Dark Avenger") with some pretty nasty and hilarious jokes. It wasn't random off-color humor though. Mazuka's obnoxiousness served the purpose of giving Lundy a plausible excuse to Deborah for him choosing to have Dex join his team (whether that's true will become evident in a few weeks). It also highlighted just how much Deb still has issues of jealousy from when she and Dex were kids and Harry showed more attention to Dex. I bet the writers of the show wish they hadn't done that episode in Season 1 where Dex finds out his biological dad has passed away. It's a too-covenient plot device that, thankfully, they cannot erase and have to live by for future episodes. That seems to be the unifying theme of "Dex, Lies and Videotape": the screw-ups from the past come back to haunt future generations to come in ways that could (or, in the case of Harry, tried to) negatively affect their present. Rita choosing bad men to love (and her allowing her dominating Mom to push her around), Deb's inability to be in a long-term relationship, Doakes never being able to back off (it could cost him his life) costing his relationship with Laguerta, etc. Heck, who isn't sleeping with who in this show except for poor Batista?

Alas, there was some good stuff in "Dex, Lies and Videotape." We finally got another one-on-one between Dexter and Doakes, and it was every bit as intense as the Colts-Patriots game earlier that day. There's no way Doakes backs off his suspicions of Dex now (he smelled the fear in Dexter's non-characteristic desperate plea, ala Bruce Banner before someone beat him up to become the Hulk) which means these two are headed for a showdown. I wasn't sure if the Dexter we knew was capable of killing Doakes to protect his secrets, but this new Dex that can kill because he has to and is slipping away from Harry's Code would have no problem ridding himself of the nasty brute cop that's been pushing his buttons since forever. Lila is Lady McBeth in the flesh and is unleashing in Dex the repressed sexual lust he used to supress by killing people. Where these two are headed will be fascinating to watch since Dexter, unlike most conventional TV heroes that struggle with temptation but eventually do the right thing and don't stray from the righteous path (all before the next commercial break for detergent and the next Walmart sale), has not only gleefully embraced the dark side Lila represents but sacrificed his relationship with Rita (at least for now) without consideration for her feelings.

All along since this show started I've wondered what would it be like if Dexter Morgan were an amoral killer, a cold-blooded but self-controlled butcher of innocent and guilty alike just like Michael Rooker's character from "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer." It has been done before. David Chase turned Tony Soprano from a somewhat likable gangster early in "The Sopranos" run into a cold and detached monster without any likable trace (which audiences still sympathized with despite his criminal/murderous action). Could this be the direction "Dexter" is headed? Would we still like Dexter as much as we do if he were to kill Rita's mother to keep her away from Rita? Or Batista if he came close to finding out who he really is? Last night's episode at the very least hinted that the code of Harry is becoming optional to Dexter as opposed to mandatory the more he learns about his foster father's "Sex, Lies and (Audio)Tape."
post #544 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 AM

Liked: 10
Well written dad1153.

While Dex is changing and we are invited along for the ride in his head; he is still playing by his Harry's code.

Also, the relationship between Harry and and Dex's bio Mom actually makes sense. Harry says repeatedly that he will protect her and obviously does not. This is why I believe that Harry chose to take one of the boys out of the shipping container. He felt an obligation to his late mother.
post #545 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Yes, but Harry PROMISED to take care of both boys. I'm not sure why that hasn't eaten at Dexter. Harry is losing credibility with Dexter. Why isn't Dexter more upset that Harry didn't take care of his brother? - the brother he killed when forced to decide between living "free" or sticking with Harry's code.

BTW, after seeing the last two episodes, I've decided I need a sponsor...

Freelance Broadcast Technical Director

AVS Forum needs thread wiki!
See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=917548
post #546 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think Lundy's excuse that he can't stand Mazuka's talk is a ploy. He's requesting Dex at every turn. We'll see.
post #547 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Mazuka is classic.
post #548 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

I think Lundy's excuse that he can't stand Mazuka's talk is a ploy. He's requesting Dex at every turn. We'll see.

I think, at least at this point, his motivations were exactly what he said.

My big question for the last episode is will the task force continue under the assumption that the BHB killed the copycat simply because he was a copycat with no murders to "justify" it? That's a big hit against any quiet support he may have had up to that point.
post #549 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, fewer than usual posts after a new "Dexter." Guess the network competition (Dallas-Philly game, "Amazing Race," "Desperate Housewives" and "Family Guy" 100th episode, even that HBO show about married couples f***ing) took a toll on the 9PM viewing and most regular viewers of "Dexter" either haven't seen it on DVR or are waiting for a weekday repeat to catch-up. Sunday nights at 9PM are jam-packed!
post #550 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade-itis View Post

Mazuka is classic.

He is a funny, weird dude. I howled when he said to Lundy, "I can explain the she-male thing."
post #551 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dexter's new joy, a love triangle.

I hate to see him and Rita's relationship going down hill. Atleast he told the truth to Rita, near the end.
post #552 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade-itis View Post

Mazuka is classic.

1 in 4, Morgan, 1 in 4

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #553 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Anyone else think they are sending a red herring that Dexter will be able frame Mazuka for being the bay harbor butcher?
post #554 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post

Anyone else think they are sending a red herring that Dexter will be able frame Mazuka for being the bay harbor butcher?

This makes sense to me. Mazuka is so weird that he does seem to be a prime candidate for a frame.
post #555 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ The only way I see that happening is if Dexter finds out Mazuka is more than just talk and has actually engaged in some sort of sexual perversion and/or crime. Harry's Code may be weakened but it's still strong-enough for Dex not to frame a loser like his co-worker for horrible crimes he didn't commit. Framing Doakes to get him off his back on the other hand...
post #556 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

Dexter's new joy, a love triangle.

I hate to see him and Rita's relationship going down hill. At least he told the truth to Rita, near the end.

Color me shocked. Yes there was tension but honestly I did not see it coming. It was nice to see Dex had a new friend he could be around and they in a way understood him. A sexual relationship with someone so close to him....The old Dex would have never done this because Rita was safe.

Lila may be the death of him yet, we know she has her own dark side, maybe we just saw a bit tonight.

As many have said this is not the old Dex but some sort of new animal. I still can't believe him and Rita are over. Guess time well tell.
post #557 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Does anyone know how the Writers strike is going to affect the show? Are all the episodes completed?
post #558 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This 2nd season of "Dexter" started shooting in May precisely to get out of the strike (which Hollywood has seen coming since last year) and also to accomodate the show's production moving to Los Angeles (only a few exterior shots are shot in Miami). The writer's strike will not affect Season 2 but, depending on how long it lasts, could push production/air date of Season 3 (which hasn't been announced but is a lock given the show's strong-by-Showtime-standards viewership) into late 2008 and maybe even early 2009!
post #559 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine View Post

Does anyone know how the Writers strike is going to affect the show? Are all the episodes completed?

to my knowledge, all dexter's episodes are ready to go.

I loved the episode. I cant wait to see where they go from here.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #560 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So far, the 2nd season is a lot tamer than the first.

The whole idea of Dexter is that he is a cold unfeeling psychopath, while we can understand why he carried on with Rita --- she's a reasonable prop to keep people from figuring out there's something very wrong with him --- even when she went from "damaged goods" to "Martha Stewart kinky".

This thing with Lila just doesn't seem like the old Dex anymore, but Lila is a lot more interesting than Rita.

The new Dex also appears to be less smart than Season 1's. He's also a lot more prone to stupid mistakes
post #561 of 6863 Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

So far, the 2nd season is a lot tamer than the first.

The whole idea of Dexter is that he is a cold unfeeling psychopath, while we can understand why he carried on with Rita --- she's a reasonable prop to keep people from figuring out there's something very wrong with him --- even when she went from "damaged goods" to "Martha Stewart kinky".

This thing with Lila just doesn't seem like the old Dex anymore, but Lila is a lot more interesting than Rita.

The new Dex also appears to be less smart than Season 1's. He's also a lot more prone to stupid mistakes

I kind of think thats the whole point of the second season. in season 1 he was inhuman, which was a result of giving himself totally to his father. Even as a grown man, he was under his father's influence and he was "doing as he was told".

Now, in season 2, he is learning to be himself. he is maturing. This is like what his teenage years are for most people. he is expressing himself, even in ways that aren't intelligent and aren't healthy.

I think throughout season 2 we will see him gain some wisdom from his mistakes and become his own man, rather than just following the path that Harry set for him.

Thats what makes this show so great. In season 1 we saw the dark and demented side that is in all of us-not so much in the homicidal tendancies-but in the disturbed, insecure, self-doubting places that we try to hide from. The feeling of disconnected as we dont understand how we "fit" in the world.

now we are progressing and finding how we can create our own lives and through that progression, evolve.

The way they have created a character, whose story now greatly transcends beyond a simple adaptation of the novels, is what really intrigues me and makes me think that this is not just a good, but a great and insightful, show.
post #562 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

He is a funny, weird dude. I howled when he said to Lundy, "I can explain the she-male thing."

Masuka is great. C.S. Lee also plays an extremely quirky character in Chuck.
post #563 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never thought of this before, but has there ever been any discussion about Harry Morgan's name with regard to either the show or the book. Not sure if there was, because I didn't get on board here until I watched the Season 1 DVD set, just prior to Season2.

It could be just coincidence, or perhaps delivered with a nod and a wink, but before he became Col. Sherman Potter on M*A*S*H; in Dragnet' 67, Jack Webb had a cop partner named Officer Bill Gannon, who was played by...Harry Morgan.

Chance favors the prepared mind
post #564 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched it last night. Another great episode. I do find it odd that Dexter felt the need to make such a statement by murdering the copycat killer and placing the body parts gift wrapped for the police to find at the murder scene of the imitator. Seems to be a very bold move and not really inline with what we are seeing with him in the story line.That is almost taunting them to catch him. Judging from his thoughts and what he says it does not seem he wants to be caught.
post #565 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I watched it last night. Another great episode. I do find it odd that Dexter felt the need to make such a statement by murdering the copycat killer and placing the body parts gift wrapped for the police to find at the murder scene of the imitator. Seems to be a very bold move and not really inline with what we are seeing with him in the story line.That is almost taunting them to catch him. Judging from his thoughts and what he says it does not seem he wants to be caught.

Agreed that leaving the evidence there for the cops to easily find wasn't in character. He's always been so careful to conceal any evidence of his activities. Neither has been his dramatic emotional displays this season. Dexter is either changing, or he's losing it.

BTW, I'm not sure why the cops went back to that boxcar (or whatever it was) anyway? Was there an "anonymous" tip called in by Dexter or something? Must have missed that......
post #566 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 AM

Leaving the body to be found by the police was necessary. The only way to keep the FBI from cutting the Miami PD out of the investigation was to make sure the copycat activity stopped before he (or others) ended up killing someone. Dexter's solution not only "captured" the copycat that was roaming the streets, but when details are released to the press, it will discourage any other BHB copycats from sprouting up.
post #567 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how the Bay Harbor Butcher murdering someone right under their noses and throwing it up in their face proves that the Police can handle the investigation. Seems to mean they are nowhere near catching him and the killer is just toying with them.

I am also curious how the police found out the body was at the previous crime scene. It is possible they were still collecting evidence.
post #568 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
A full assault, such as displayed, does not equal collecting evidence. They had to have a tip off.....

Bobby 

post #569 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Yeah, if that's how they go about collecting evidence, I think they could absorb a significant budget cut.

It smelled like a situation where a key scene was cut. There had to be a tip off of some kind.
post #570 of 6863 Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK, wild crazy theory time. What if Harry Morgan was working with Lundy? Didn't the flashback recording at the start of "Dex, Lies and Videotape" have Harry saying something to Dex's bio mom about needing to get the drug suppliers in the act for charges to stick? Maybe Lundy was with the Feds on the drug bust that went bad with Harry's snitch (hence he'd know about Harry finding Dexter and his adoption of the now-orphaned kid with a blood trauma). What if Harry confided in Lundy about Dexter's upbringing because he (Harry) needed tips from a behavioral pro (which I assume Lundy was when he was younger and on his way to the top) on how to protect and channel Dex's killer tendencies so he wouldn't hurt innocent people? Or maybe Harry didn't confide in Lundy about Dex but Lundy kept it in mind as he went about becoming a top FBI profiler, and kept tabs on Dex throughout the years. Hey, sounds wild but did anything last season led you to belive that Dex's bio mom was sleeping with Harry? Anything's possible people!

What if the reason Lundy is so good at catching and profiling serial killers is because he's been watching Dexter (and presumably Rudy/Brian when he entered the picture) from afar and learning from him (them) how to be good at profiling/capturing serial killers? Since only bad people were being killed by Dex (criminals beyond the reach of the law) and Rudy/Brian (hookers) Lundy could justify his inaction in aprehending Dexter by telling himself Dex is doing society a big favor by ridding it of undesirables. Basically if any shred of plot appears to indicate a connection between Harry Morgan and Lundy then all bets are off. Since Dex's opinion of Harry is at an all-time low and dropping maybe Lundy can step in as Dex's father figure and mentor him into becoming... what? A serial killer for the government (ala "Alias")? Imagine a third season in which instead of watching flashbacks of young Dex being mentored by Harry we witness present-day Dex being mentored by Lundy!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page