post #991 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryp44 View Post

I'd have rather seen Deb offed. She is one of the most annoying characters ever. What is with all the bony chicks on this show? Deb, Lila, and Rita are too emaciated and ghastly looking for my tastes. For god's sake eat a sandwich.

too funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Finale was mildly disappointing. Doakes, Lundy, and Lila brought a heck of a lot to the table on this show, don't know how they replace that kind of talent/performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I share in what seems to be the consensus here, which appears to be that the season finale was good but flawed. I loved the way in which Lila dispatched Doakes. I agree, by the way, that Doakes HAD to go. I was less impressed with Lila's attempt to incinerate Dex and Rita's kids and his Perils of Pauline escape and rescue by Deb.

I thought the way Dexter tracked down Lila in Paris and killed her was simply preposterous. What did Dexter do with Lila's body? How did he get in her room? How did he manage to find her at all after she fled to Paris, as she was certainly living there under an assumed name?

Who's to say Lundy and Lila are gone?
That final scene in Paris with Lila could very well be the season 3 ender
And Lundy could be on a major serial killer manhunt again... chasing Dex once again.

Ok, fantasy, but you never know.
post #993 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Or - how about Season 3 opening with Dexter waking up? That last night was an ever-popular "Dream Sequence"? Considering how EVERYTHING ended up "happily", for Dexter - who knows. That would give the writers a "do over".
post #994 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I thought the way Dexter tracked down Lila in Paris and killed her was simply preposterous. What did Dexter do with Lila's body? How did he get in her room? How did he manage to find her at all after she fled to Paris, as she was certainly living there under an assumed name?

Actually, she wasn't. When they show her mail (including the Doakes postcard), you can see that the mail is addressed to Lila Tournay. Not too smart on her part.
post #995 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreb View Post

Actually, she wasn't. When they show her mail (including the Doakes postcard), you can see that the mail is addressed to Lila Tournay. Not too smart on her part.

Good catch, I went back and confirmed that one of the letters in the stack that Lila was looking at was, indeed, addressed to Lila Tournay. I had only noticed that the Greetings from Miami postcard, with Doakes' picture on the message side, was unaddressed, which told us that Dexter was already there.

I don't know whether the dumbest part of Lila continuing to use her most recent alias while she was on the run should be attributed to Lila or to the writers who dreamed up such nonsense in the first place. Either way, we agree that it wasn't too smart.
post #996 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

One thing I'm curious about it how long it took for Dexter to track Lila down in Paris. (How did he even do it? Google? One would think she would cover her tracks once she learned that Dexter didn't die in the fire.) That was outside the normal time-line with no explanation - something this show usually isn't careless about.

I was also disappointed in how jarringly quickly they wrapped up the Deb/Lundy subplot. I never bought into her obsessive May-December attraction to him, or his reciprocation (seems to good a guy to be a "love 'em and leave 'em" type). That whole thing just never worked for me and never seemed to be integral to the plot; more a device to keep Deb's character invested in the show.

+13 to these 2 points. In summary, this is what bothered me about the finale -- it was just too "normal TV contrived" for me...

-- Lundy's character was essentially useless except for some "assumed" (on our parts) BIGGER meaning!! (Another serial killer who knows/understands Dexter, etc., etc.....). What a waste!!!!

-- The Paris/Lila finale was just too silly for words and ruined the final inevitable "interchange" for me!! All of a sudden Dex happens to show up at her Paris flat????? Was it B4 she even got home (Dexter beat her there????) or days/weeks later?? (I did like the touch of the Greetings from Miami card placed in her stack of mail though!! ). How did he ever track her down?? Did she leave HER GPS behind in the fire??? GEEEZZZZ!!!
post #997 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The problem is/was that the show was pretty much "normal" for television - we have come to know, and expect so much more from the crew at Dexter. At least the screen didn't go black.
post #998 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Not sure if it was already mentioned, from TV Week.

Monday, December 17, 2007
The Dirt on 'Dexter'

Showtime's serial killer show finished its second season last night, but if you're clamoring for more, the network has posted a nice-sized interview with the executive producers and start of the show:
http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/chat.do

I don't watch the show since I have a certain aversion to any programming that could remotely be construed as scary, but the behind-the-scenes clip is pretty good. The page is neat and clean and the video is actuallygaspinsightful.

In the video three of the show's executive producers, Clyde Phillips, John Goldwyn and Sara Colleton, plus actors Michael C. Hall ("Dexter"), Erik King ("Sgt. Doakes") and C.S. Lee ("Vincent Masuka") share their thoughts on the storyline for season two.

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/trial-an..._on_dexter.php
Trial and Error - The Dirt on 'Dexter' - TVWeek - Blogs

http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/chat.do
Showtime : Dexter - Live Fan Chat
post #999 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That interview answers the question of whether King wanted off the show or not. He most definitely did not.

Robert Clark
post #1000 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

"borderline-terrible season finale"...

Uh.....ok....

Maybe it's time for someone to retire his blogs...

Here, here!!

Count me as one who loved the finale, although, I admit, it does requires quite a bit more suspension of disbelief than other episodes. And I concur: a 2-hour finale would most definitely have been preferred. It could have gone a long way to flesh out a lot of the coincidences which might mitigate the "this is too preposterous" criticisms that have been brought up. But, guys, think about it. This show has always had its "hard to believe, but, OK, I'll go with it" moments. But the ride has always been great, and the finale did not disappoint at all in that aspect.

How did Dexter find Lyla in Paris? How did he get rid of her body? Who knows? Who cares? Admittedly it happened very quickly, but it was a great, totally unexpected (at least for me) twist, the last, fun spin to the ride. And, as for Lundy's character being a disappointment, it served a purpose: as a constant, subtle threat to Dexter's world (brought even closer by his involvement with Deb), creating tension by serving up one red herring after another, which this show feasts on. I can't imagine he will be around in season three. He's done. But there will be others introduced that will serve much the same purpose.

I guess my immense enjoyment of this show is that I don't try to take it too literally (or let too much pesky logic get in the way ). I'm just glad that the producers/writers didn't go completely Hollywood and leave us with a hackneyed cliffhanger. The slate has been wiped clean. Dexter reborn yet evolved, with Lord only knows what will happen in the next season. From where I sit, it's the perfect place to be: clean resolutions of story lines (preposterous or not), with an already palpable anticipation building for what's to come.
post #1001 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Just Watched...My 2 Cents...

Overall..great season...a little underwhelmed by the finale...

I was expecting a bit more..I thought it was going to go something like this...

Since Dexter decided to live I thought we would be way back to his calculating self...

I thought he was going to be 2 steps ahead of everyone at the end of the last show..

Purposely having a date with Rita and and Hoping Lyla would see..
Knowing Lyla would try to figure it out...I thought he purposely left the GPS "accessible"...geez I know if I had a GPS unit that valuable of information...it would be locked up very secure...I was sure he did that on purpose...
I was pretty sure Lyla and Doakes would cross paths even without the preview...
but I thought Dex would have a great plan in which something like...
Doakes would end up killing Lyla by accident or purpose / in self defense because Lyla want to try the thrill kill...
Then Dex would have something on Doakes and Vice Versa and we could have had another season of Doakes and Dex squaring off...
or better yet Doakes in Hiding trying to get back at Dex...prove his innocence etc...from a distance..
In the mean time they could have pinned the BHB murders on Rita ...or left it unsolved...but alas..it twas not to be...

Yeah I know thats why I am not a writer...but the finale was a bit too "easy/coincidental"...and wasn't "methodical or calculating" enough

BTW I am not convinced that Lyla was found in the immediate future...Dex was sure she would not show up...so he took his time and did what he does best.

One final thought as to the spiritual etc... I like the Dark Passenger...I whish they would use it more..

Anyways Great Show...Great Season...Look forward to next season

Guess I will read Dad....

Long Live The Gorn!
post #1002 of 6863 Old 12-17-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I am another one who liked the finale. For those that are wondering about the "loose ends" at the end of the season, might we not learn about at least some of them at the beginning of next season. Some of the questions I am sure will be answered in the future. These days I try not analyze my TV shows or movies too much and I have been MUCH happier. Sometimes it seems that instead of enjoying the show people are looking for the inaccuracies to point out. I did like the "tease" for 2008 even though we might have to wait longer then that with the strike
post #1003 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Count me as one who loved the finale, although, I admit, it does requires quite a bit more suspension of disbelief than other episodes. . . .

I guess my immense enjoyment of this show is that I don't try to take it too literally (or let too much pesky logic get in the way ).

I think that is the key to enjoying a fantasy, which Dexter certainly is. Taking such shows too seriously or expecting them to be entirely logical is a mistake, it seems to me. For example, I roll my eyes at some of the posts in the Heroes thread in which participants argue about the accuracy of the science involved, although the show's heroes can fly, transport themselves forward or backward in time, spontaneously heal, read minds, and do a bunch of other stiff not seen in nature.
post #1004 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I loved the finale
I skip over Dads posts
post #1005 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 164
post #1006 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ You're welcome!

Hey Dad,

With things being left the way they were - why don't we get your spin on Season 3, Episode 1?

If we have to wait until October or later - let's start the "Hot Stove" talk now.
post #1007 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Read this Q&A with the show's producers (the same trio that appears on the Sho.com video): http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07351/841111-352.stm. A lot of it is a rehash from the Sho.com video but there are nuggets of new info here (especially about the departure of Doakes), especially this beaut:

Q: Was there a theme to seasons one and two and if so, what will be the theme for season three?

Sara Colleton: Clyde can't talk about that because of the writers' strike, but before the strike happened, we were talking about it, sitting around with the writers talking about what we want to explore. We have very strong ideas of where we want to go with Dexter. We've had two years of an interior journey. The first year he explored 'Where did I come from? Who am I?" At the end of the second year, he's newly revitalized, he's examined Harry's code and he's newly confident about who he is in the world. It allows us a great platform to start out our third year.

What is that supposed to mean for the future??!! How do you do an 'external journey' for "Dexter"?
post #1008 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

What is that supposed to mean for the future??!! How do you do an 'external journey' for "Dexter"?

Maybe he takes his show on the road? Change of setting from Miami?
post #1009 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
He is already in Paris.....

Bobby 

post #1010 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreb View Post

Maybe he takes his show on the road? Change of setting from Miami?

I can't imagine that the show's creative folks would change its locale from Miami to anywhere else, including Paris. They spent two seasons having us get to know the Miami bunch. That represents too much of the revealed back story to unload all or most of the police department folks at once, it seems to me. Although Doakes is gone and Lundy probably is too, the rest of them are still in play. Besides I would miss Deb, annoying though she can be, and Angel and Masuka are a hoot.
post #1011 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

I can’t imagine that the show’s creative folks would change its locale from Miami to anywhere else, including Paris. They spent two seasons having us get to know the Miami bunch. That represents too much of the revealed back story to unload all or most of the police department folks at once, it seems to me. Although Doakes is gone and Lundy probably is too, the rest of them are still in play. Besides I would miss Deb, annoying though she can be, and Angel and Masuka are a hoot.

There's precedent for that. 'Nip/Tuck' relocated its nexus from Miami to Los Angeles this season. Managed to get all the main characters out there through various machinations as well. They figured they needed to shake the show up some and a change of locale gave them a chance to essentially "reboot" the series. The twisted minds behind 'Dexter' (and I only mean that in the best way) may feel that it could work for them, too. Gotta' bring Masuka, no matter what.

But, that said, there's something about the steamy clime of Miami that seems more organic to 'Dexter' than the plastic surgeons of 'Nip/Tuck'. This show makes great use of the vibe and locale.
post #1012 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

But, that said, there's something about the steamy clime of Miami that seems more organic to 'Dexter' than the plastic surgeons of 'Nip/Tuck'. This show makes great use of the vibe and locale.

Yeah, there is a special magic about Miami as the locale for a crime show. Last month, I spent a few days in one of the old art deco hotels in South Beach. Wandering up and down among the sidewalk cafes opposite the beach there presents a scene that has to be seen to be believed. It was a lot of fun. Miami was somehow weirdly different from anyplace else I had ever been. There were a bunch of eccentric characters, of course, but there may be more money there than anywhere. I had never seen as many Bentley and Ferrari automobiles in such a short span of time.
post #1013 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
just finished watching on my DVR -

anyone else find the PQ to be a little lacking on the finale? i was seeing moire effects and stairstepping on a lot of shots. usually Dexter looks fantastic on my projector but I wonder what was happening here....maybe subsequent airings were better? for instance i was seeing moire patterns on the fine details of people's clothings, floors, etc - and one aeiral shot of miami had tons of stairstepping.

also the whites seemed more blown out than normal. wonder if something was going on here locally with comcast....strange.
post #1014 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 05:10 PM

I enjoyed the finale a lot, but I'm not really someone to critique a show very much. Wish I would have watched all of season 1, but at least I saw enough to know what was going on.

What did Doakes say right before the explosion?
post #1015 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Great finale! Can't wait for Season 3!
post #1016 of 6863 Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From Fredfa's "HOTP" thread:

Nielsen Notes
Dexter Season Finale Does In Showtime Ratings Mark
Program Draws Nearly 1.4 Million Viewers

From Multichannel News, 12/18/2007

The second-season finale of serial killer series Dexter slashed its way to the top of Showtime's ratings.

The Dec. 16 finale at 9 p.m. delivered 1.39 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research data. That topped the 1.23 million people that tuned in the Nov. 18 Dexter installment.

The immediate encore for Dexter brought in another 382,000, 158% more than the 148,000 that watched the encore of the first season at midnight last year.

Through the series first 11 weeks, including the first eight that includes live, plus seven-day viewing totals from the main Showtime feed, Dexter averaged 2.37 million viewers, according to network officials, up 21% from the 1.96 million the first season attracted on average for live, plus DVR viewing off the premium channel's main feed.

http://www.multichannel.com/index.as...leID=CA6513773
post #1017 of 6863 Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_o_00 View Post

What did Doakes say right before the explosion?

M_t_er F_c_er (fill in the blanks)
post #1018 of 6863 Old 12-19-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

Or - how about Season 3 opening with Dexter waking up? That last night was an ever-popular "Dream Sequence"? Considering how EVERYTHING ended up "happily", for Dexter - who knows. That would give the writers a "do over".

Don't think so.

I knew Dokes was going to die, he had to as it was impossible to frame him. How would Dokes know Dex was shot int he leg? GPS, cell phone, will all have records, showing Dexter was there at that shack. Then the boat, Dokes can prove Dex was dropping the bodies they found from the GPS on his boat.

Impossible to frame him.

So he had to die.

Dex can't kill him, Dokes does not fall into the code.

That leaves Lila, the nut job. Dex can't kill her either, she doesn't fall into the code.

But, if she kills Dokes, Lila can then be taken out because of the code.

I competely saw this happening, but they still did it in a good way, and, most importantly, did not stretch it out for Season 3.
post #1019 of 6863 Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osage View Post

Spoiler Predictions:

1. Dexter kills Lila.
2. Someone other than Dexter kills Doakes.

It's been clear as day that it would end this way for quite some time. A lot of us knew where the story was heading, but the ride was oh so pleasurable to experience. The real enjoyment of Dexter comes in the "details" of the journey of the characters and how their relationships drive the plot. To paraphrase an old saying, these characters/actors could make the reading of a telephone directory delightful . The writing is brilliantly eccentric and tantalizingly ironic, while the execution is like listening to an orchestra of uniquely discordant virtuosos who somehow manage to produce a mesmerizing harmonious concerto.
post #1020 of 6863 Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Liked: 13
^well written! Are you an audiophile reviewer??!?!?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page