post #91 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Enjoyed last night's episode....but boy do I wonder about his Foster Father...this cop can't call one of his cop buddies and have them look into the psycho nurse? He has to unleash Dexter?

Yes, it was a training mission. Remember the title of the episode? Best new show of the year IMHO.

Given the not-quite-deathbed instruction to Dexter, how much does the sister really know? Methinks more than she lets on.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Who has theories on the Ice Truck killer's identity?

I've got two good ones.
post #93 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Yes, it was a training mission. Remember the title of the episode? Best new show of the year IMHO.

Given the not-quite-deathbed instruction to Dexter, how much does the sister really know? Methinks more than she lets on.

LOL I wasn't commenting on the practicality of him setting him loose. If you're going to send your foster son on the path of being a vigilante serial killer, you may not have a better opportunity than the one that presented itself. He thought he was dying and may not get the chance to guide Dexter any further.

I was commenting on him wanting to set Dexter loose at all. I understand it's key to the story, but there's more to this than meets the eye as far as Daddy's motivations go.

He never tried getting his son psychiatric help. He just realized: Ok, son has the impulses of a monster, let's set him loose on other monsters, at least he might do some good to society.

I have the books but haven't started reading them yet, so perhaps this will be addressed in future eps.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #94 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

A few other things:

Was anyone else disappointed that Dexter didn't 'handle' that drug dealer in his own special Dexter way?

I suppose it would have been too suspicious if he'd just shown up at her door with her Rav 4. He would have had to answer too many questions from her. But the guy threatened her and the children...hard to imagine Dexter letting that go.

However, his bringing the 'Jesus Saves' convertible for them to use was hilarious!

I'm torn by how things are playing out with the 'angry' detective. On the one hand he seems like a very good cop who cares. On the other, he was sleeping with fellow cops' wife, and deserves a beatdown. But the beatdown coming his way is likely to be permanent. The other cops would have been better off giving him his own blanket party, rather than involving the drug lords people.

The sister was stupid for going around her boss...even her 'fellow' hookers told her how dumb it would be. And she did it anyway. Doh.

Should Dexter have let that kid go the way he did? He was about to kill someone who didn't deserve it, and would have if Dexter hadn't shown up. Do you think he'll stop after Dexter's warning? It just seemed as if the kid had caught the taste for it.

post #95 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'd hate driving that car around knowing it was confiscated from some convict. It kinda stands out as a unique vehicle.
post #96 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary*w* View Post

Who has theories on the Ice Truck killer's identity?

I've got two good ones.

Right now I am leaning towards the lieutenant. She is creepy enough. She certainly wants to "play" with Dexter. And she seems quick to go down the wrong path in capturing the killer.
post #97 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

Right now I am leaning towards the lieutenant. She is creepy enough. She certainly wants to "play" with Dexter. And she seems quick to go down the wrong path in capturing the killer.

I agree; too many things just don't add up with her.
post #98 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:

A few other things:

Was anyone else disappointed that Dexter didn't 'handle' that drug dealer in his own special Dexter way?

I suppose it would have been too suspicious if he'd just shown up at her door with her Rav 4. He would have had to answer too many questions from her. But the guy threatened her and the children...hard to imagine Dexter letting that go.

However, his bringing the 'Jesus Saves' convertible for them to use was hilarious!

I'm thinking the guy will come back demanding more money, since getting the car was so easy,
then Dexter will take care of him, after dark, away from the girlfriend and her kids.

Maybe the kids will find the hydraulics controller hidden in the glovebox and we'll see it bouncing down the street next week.

Jerry

I don't just watch HD-TV, I make it happen.
post #99 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I agree that Dexter is the best new show on TV. I laughed out loud at some of last night's developments.

I, too, strongly suspect that the hard-ass drug dealer who took the girlfriend's RAV4 is going to come to grief at Dexter's hand before it's all over.

Finally, does anyone else suspect the girlfriend may have issues that are nearly as interesting as Dexter's?
post #100 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good episode. I also agree, I wonder why Dextor did not take care of that Coke guy nor the knife killer dude.
post #101 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM

****I, too, strongly suspect that the hard-ass drug dealer who took the girlfriend's RAV4 is going to come to grief at Dexter's hand before it's all over.*****

I hope that storylines like this don't get left hanging like we see in the Sopranos.

Doug
post #102 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 11:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Should Dexter have let that kid go the way he did? He was about to kill someone who didn't deserve it, and would have if Dexter hadn't shown up. Do you think he'll stop after Dexter's warning? It just seemed as if the kid had caught the taste for it.

The kid was damaged goods, damaged at the hands of another. So far, this is different than those who just kill because the can't help themselves, like Dexter. The kid is angry and is still working through it, taking his anger out on others, but given his circumstances, I would expect that the anger will dissipate eventually. This is different from killing because you can't help yourself, you need to be stopped.

I just think there's a fundamental difference between the people Dexter has been killing and the kid who killed and is still angry. A fine line to be sure, but it seems Dexter does distinguish between the two.
post #103 of 6863 Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Dexter is the best new show on TV. I laughed out loud at some of last night's developments.

I, too, strongly suspect that the hard-ass drug dealer who took the girlfriend's RAV4 is going to come to grief at Dexter's hand before it's all over.

Finally, does anyone else suspect the girlfriend may have issues that are nearly as interesting as Dexter's?

I don't think so, there's no motive, or drive, for Dexter to act against the drug dealer, he hasn't killed anyone and doesn't appear to be planning to kill anyone. Dexter, to date, has only gone after those that kill. I thought Dexter's emotionless response to the taking of the car was exactly in keeping with his character, there was no trigger for him to act.
post #104 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I don't think so, there's no motive, or drive, for Dexter to act against the drug dealer, he hasn't killed anyone and doesn't appear to be planning to kill anyone. Dexter, to date, has only gone after those that kill. I thought Dexter's emotionless response to the taking of the car was exactly in keeping with his character, there was no trigger for him to act.

I think the only thing that kept him from whacking the guy was the fact that the woman and kids were right there. Have him try that in a dark alley :-)

post #105 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 AM

I agree with Keenan, there's no reason to kill the drug dealer, he's not one of the monsters Dexter is after. I thought it was a great way to show how disciplined and emotionless Dexter is. I liked the camera shot of the guy's head and Dexter's shovel - I have to admit I was thinking the guy was going to get it. But that wouldn't make any sense, so they did the right thing having him just stand by. Between this and the boy who was raped, we're seeing more of just how discriminating Dexter is. He makes sure people are "worthy" of being eliminated.

Plus, let's not get caught up thinking Dexter is emotionally involved with his girlfriend and family. It's hard to not feel that way as a viewer when we see him playing with the kids all the time and helping her out when in a jam. But he doesn't have those feelings. Similar to not understanding grief.

I don't think we'll be seeing the drug dealer again, it was just a way of showing us Dexter's emotionless discipline.
post #106 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I agree; too many things just don't add up with her.

My 1st theory is Dex's sister. She plays dumb but she keeps finding clues and definitely wants to fast track her career. She is killing the hookers in order to move up the ranks and who else would be more likely to know who and what Dexter is. In the deathbed sequence this week their dad's first comments seemed, to me at least, to be aimed at both of them.

The Lt. is simply trying to derail the progress of an underling she sees as a professional threat. As creepy as Dex is it's still not inconciveable that a female could have the "steaming undies" for him.

My other theory makes "some" sense but I think may be over reaching alot. The theory is that Dexter has gone all split personality on us and is killing hookers and leaving clues for himself. It explains how the doll parts wound up in his freezer. But it could easilly be blown out of the water next week.
post #107 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think the only thing that kept him from whacking the [drug dealer] guy was the fact that the woman and kids were right there. Have him try that in a dark alley :-)

That's why I think Dexter will get the guy. Dexter needs his girlfriend and her family (or thinks he does), so he is committed to protecting them. It seems to me that the temptation to have the drug dealer come back for more - and paying for his rashness with his life - will be more than the show's creators can resist. Do you want to talk about a guy who needed killin'?
post #108 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's why I think Dexter will get the guy. Dexter needs his girlfriend and her family (or thinks he does), so he is committed to protecting them. It seems to me that the temptation to have the drug dealer come back for more - and paying for his rashness with his life - will be more than the show's creators can resist. Do you want to talk about a guy who needed killin'?

We'll see I guess, but I really don't think so. Dexter didn't kill anybody this episode(the one he did kill was a flashback) and I think that was the whole point, he makes a distinction and that's what the director was showing us.

Besides, do you honestly think a thieving drug dealer deserves to die? What about a shoplifting kid, or someone who runs red lights? As twisted as Dexter is, he does seem to have a very clear idea of who "deserves" to die.

The relationship with the woman and her kids is probably just Dexter seeing if he can actually have any emotions. The remark at the funeral about having to hold a grieved expression on his face for two hours was especially telling--he wasn't doing "okay" because of the death--he wasn't doing "okay" because he had to fake the emotion.
post #109 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

do you honestly think a thieving drug dealer dealer deserves to die?

Well, I for I, certainly do not. However, if you took a poll, you might be surprised .
post #110 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

Well, I for I, certainly do not. However, if you took a poll, you might be surprised .

I'm sure there are those that do, but that would go against the whole premise of Dexter, at that point it would essentially become indiscriminate killing, anyone and everyone would be fair game and it would be far less interesting, just another killer to be brought down.
post #111 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Dexter is my new fave right behind Lost. 'bout time for TV with a brain. Props SHO.

post #112 of 6863 Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think that the guy who took Dexter's girlfriend's RAV4 should die just because he is a thieving drug dealer. In fact, if he has the wit to stay away from the girlfriend, I think that would be the end of it.

My point was that the show's creators are going to be sorely tempted to have the drug dealer try to extort more from the girlfriend. Should the drug dealer do that and thereby establish a pattern of intimidating the woman Dexter would not let it pass, I think.
post #113 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anything is possible, obviously, but I really don't think that was the point of the scene. To me, it was emotionless Dexter in a relationship, something that the has no real clue about how to go about. The girlfriend told him not to do anything, just let it go, and he deferred to her request. That coupled with the fact the guy hadn't killed anybody, what does Dexter do? He moves on and goes and gets her a car to drive, not a mention or thought about the car thief.

The writers may be tempted, but I just don't think that was the point of the scene, to set up another victim for Dexter, it was to show his emotional vacuum and that he doesn't kill just anyone.
post #114 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Anything is possible, obviously, but I really don't think that was the point of the scene. To me, it was emotionless Dexter in a relationship, something that the has no real clue about how to go about. The girlfriend told him not to do anything, just let it go, and he deferred to her request. That coupled with the fact the guy hadn't killed anybody, what does Dexter do? He moves on and goes and gets her a car to drive, not a mention or thought about the car thief.

The writers may be tempted, but I just don't think that was the point of the scene, to set up another victim for Dexter, it was to show his emotional vacuum and that he doesn't kill just anyone.

I agree that Dexter's coldness was well demonstrated by the scene: it clearly showed that he was not only unafraid of the drug dealer, he was contemptuous of him but still concealed his attitude and did noting.

Dexter replaced the late model RAV4 SUV that the drug dealer took with an ancient Cadillac pimp-mobile. That appears to me to have been a temporary solution. The drug dealer had no right whatever to take the girlfriend's car in payment for the debt of her loser husband. It was an act of naked aggression against somebody weaker than he was, and Dexter knew it - as did we, the viewers. Thus, it seems to me that having the drug dealer killed by Dexter in a later episode after having overplayed his hand would make a richly satisfying end to the drug dealer thread.
post #115 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Dex doesn't kill spontaneously. His hits are well-planned and methodical. It would've been greatly out of character for him to leap to his girl's defense and whack the dealer.

Plus, Dexter knew it would've been easy to pick up the phone and report it stolen and, probably, see the guy picked up quickly. He even offered that to her and she refused.

Dex's father is very interesting to me. Were his motives in guiding Dex pure? Was he really trying to manage his son's urges or was something else going on? Like, him living vicariously through Dex by encouraging him to flaunt a system that he himself didn't really have all that much faith in?

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #116 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I agree that Dexter's coldness was well demonstrated by the scene: it clearly showed that he was not only unafraid of the drug dealer, he was contemptuous of him but still concealed his attitude and did noting.

Dexter replaced the late model RAV4 SUV that the drug dealer took with an ancient Cadillac pimp-mobile. That appears to me to have been a temporary solution. The drug dealer had no right whatever to take the girlfriend's car in payment for the debt of her loser husband. It was an act of naked aggression against somebody weaker than he was, and Dexter knew it - as did we, the viewers. Thus, it seems to me that having the drug dealer killed by Dexter in a later episode after having overplayed his hand would make a richly satisfying end to the drug dealer thread.

Yes, it would be a satisfying end for the viewer, but in my opinion, it's not what Dexter is about and doesn't add anything to the overall story. Fact is, we don't know, and Dexter doesn't know, that maybe his GF let the car go because she either felt semi-responsible for her husband's behavior, or she may have even been involved in the missing drugs herself. So far, Dexter has been very meticulous with his due diligence to make sure the people he kills truly "deserve" it. Now, if Dexter discovers that this guy has been killing people, or the drugs he's been selling have been killing people, then I could see Dex going after him, but given what we know currently, there's simply no trigger, no reason.
post #117 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Agreed.

He even let the kid go that clearly would have murdered an innocent person if he hadn't intervened. Once the murder he committed was judged to be "justified" - he no longer met Dexter's criteria.
post #118 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 AM

Question: Are Dexter and his sister blood relatives or just two foster kids with the same foster family?
post #119 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Exactly, and it lays the groundwork for the next episode where it appears Dexter will have a dilemma presented to him by the ice killer, what does he do? No doubt the guy on the table doesn't deserve to die, he's probably the missing security guard from the ice rink, the killer obviously knows Dexter's tricks of the trade, does he let the guy go and take the chance that his own secret is put in jeopardy, or does he kill him to maintain his secret, even though it's an "unjustified killing.

Great show.
post #120 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadh View Post

Question: Are Dexter and his sister blood relatives or just two foster kids with the same foster family?

Pretty sure they're foster kids of different blood.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page