Dexter on SHO - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also, remember when he was contemplating killing the drug lord in the bathroom? He mused about how life expectancy isn't great in that line of work and things would work themselves out. I'm paraphrasing here but it was something to that effect.

Probably the same thought process with the low-level scum shaking his GF down for her car.

He only feels the need to intervene when he thinks nothing else, the criminal justice system, fate, etc., will.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I had it in my mind that the daughter was Dexter's foster father's biological child. I can't recall what it was that made me think so, though.

I agree that Dexter is a great show with lots of multifaceted characters and is based on a fascinating premise that is, um, unique.
post #123 of 6863 Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 PM

Liked: 10
Is anyone else annoyed or "put-off" by the super, ultra extreme close-ups during the
opening scenes?
I think whoever decided to do this, watches too much baseball on Fox.

Doug
post #124 of 6863 Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCinON View Post

Is anyone else annoyed or "put-off" by the super, ultra extreme close-ups during the
opening scenes?
I think whoever decided to do this, watches too much baseball on Fox.

Doug

Yeah, they are gross...but that's the point I think. They are taking everyday routines and comparing them to Dexter's methods of killing.

The floss part cracks me up.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #125 of 6863 Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Dex's father is very interesting to me. Were his motives in guiding Dex pure? Was he really trying to manage his son's urges or was something else going on? Like, him living vicariously through Dex by encouraging him to flaunt a system that he himself didn't really have all that much faith in?

Yeah there's something going on there. Most parents would have tried to get their kids help of some kind before deciding that 'professional serial killer' would be the best solution. :-)

post #126 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Dexter just keeps getting better and better. Its multifaceted and consistently surprising characters are in a class with those on the late lamented Deadwood.

I thought that last night's episode did a good job of revealing Lieutenant Laguerta's good side after first having reinforced her impetuousness and craving for publicity. She is a richly complex character. I also liked the way the writers wrapped up the conflict between Sergeant Doakes and his dead lover's cop brother. That was good stuff! Better yet, there was even more good stuff.
post #127 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Dexter just keeps getting better and better. Its multifaceted and consistently surprising characters are in a class with those on the late lamented Deadwood.

Whoa, there fella.

Just take a deep breath, put the keyboard down, and back away slowly. There is absolutely nothing in 'Dexter' that's in 'Deadwood's class. And that pretty much goes for anything on TV. 'Deadwood' is really in a class all by it's lonesome; only 'The Sopranos' comes close, and this past season, it can be argued, not even that.
post #128 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Heh, heh ... Anybody else suspect that the "damaged" GF is the ice-truck killer?
post #129 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Heh, heh ... Anybody else suspect that the "damaged" GF is the ice-truck killer?

Either her, the sister, or the lieutenant. Take your pick.
post #130 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Whoa, there fella.

Just take a deep breath, put the keyboard down, and back away slowly. There is absolutely nothing in 'Dexter' that's in 'Deadwood's class. And that pretty much goes for anything on TV. 'Deadwood' is really in a class all by it's lonesome; only 'The Sopranos' comes close, and this past season, it can be argued, not even that.

Exactly... Deadwood is the among the finest TV I have ever watched....... number 1 is still Band of Brothers...that is the Singular Best Piece of TV/Film Making IMHO...

Dexter is fun...is good...MCH and crew are excellent... I like the premis (read the books)...plots and themes and writing.....but it has a way to go to make it into the above category...

Long Live The Gorn!
post #131 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

OTOH, Erin Daniels showing up for a one-off "guest" role? Humm ...
post #132 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Whoa, there fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Exactly... Deadwood is the among the finest TV I have ever watched....... number 1 is still Band of Brothers...that is the Singular Best Piece of TV/Film Making IMHO...

Dexter is fun...is good...MCH and crew are excellent... I like the premis (read the books)...plots and themes and writing.....but it has a way to go to make it into the above category...

Whoa there, yourselves, guys.

I watched Deadwood from the beginning, long before it became a cult classic and loved it from the start. Recall that in the beginning it was controversial and a lot of posters here hated it. But Deadwood was, indeed, one of the best TV series ever made, with stellar acting and writing.

Dexter is proving to have remarkably fine and inventive writing, wonderful characters, and an outstanding ensemble cast but whether it ends up being as fondly remembered as Deadwood remains to be seen, of course. Nevertheless, I stand my opinion that its multifaceted and constantly surprising characters are, indeed, in a class with those folks who walked the muddy streets of Milch's Deadwood Camp.

Remember, Howard Cosell was fond of saying that Sports are not played in Westminster Abbey." Indeed, TV shows are not made there either.
post #133 of 6863 Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved the episode.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I got a nice chuckle that despite Dex not being human, he still found pleasure in a simple blowjob.. lol.

the show keeps you guessing and interested in the characters. Sad to say but alot of shows now a days are seriously lacking in that respect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #134 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

I loved the episode. I got a nice chuckle that despite Dex not being human, he still found pleasure in a simple blowjob.. lol.

the show keeps you guessing and interested in the characters. Sad to say but alot of shows now a days are seriously lacking in that respect.

Not picking on you ragedogg....
but I posted something that was not as revealing/direct as you just did and the spoiler zamboni came through and "spoilered" pretty much the entire post ... hmmmm
Maybe I'm just spoiled ....

Long Live The Gorn!
post #135 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

noted. i didnt think it would be considered a spoiler because it doesnt really have much to do with the main plot line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #136 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

noted. i didnt think it would be considered a spoiler because it doesnt really have much to do with the main plot line.

yeah np....I don't really care... I figure if I am in here reading .. I will see/learn stuff... more trying to be a good forum user... and figure out the criteria/rules...

Damn Cheifs!!!! I'm a Charger fan.... I am still smartin'

Long Live The Gorn!
post #137 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

yeah np....I don't really care... I figure if I am in here reading .. I will see/learn stuff... more trying to be a good forum user... and figure out the criteria/rules...

Damn Cheifs!!!! I'm a Charger fan.... I am still smartin'

Gotta love Martyball :-)

post #138 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

lieutenant for me
Once again, this Sundays episode did not feature Dex killing somebody. He was thinking about it when he saw Tucci (sp) on the table.
Great TV show. I thought him receiving the blowjob was funny, his girlfriend's a sloot.
post #139 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To continue the Deadwood analogy, Dexter's girlfriend reminds me of Deadwood's Alma Garrett: both are ladylike to the point of caricature but both have a streak of craziness and a need to take risks that make my hair stand on end. Anyway, Dexter is off to a great start, even if Michael C. Hall is no Ian McShane.
post #140 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

...his girlfriend's a sloot.

I always wanted a "sloot" of my own. Where does one find one?

As for Dexter vs Deadwood - why don't we give it more than 3 episodes before we pass immortal judgments on it? Just a thought.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #141 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

lieutenant for me
Once again, this Sundays episode did not feature Dex killing somebody. He was thinking about it when he saw Tucci (sp) on the table.
Great TV show. I thought him receiving the blowjob was funny, his girlfriend's a sloot.

Considering how long they'd being seeing one another without any sexual conduct, I'd say Dexter had that coming :-)

post #142 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM

Deadwood was the finest show that I have ever seen. It was riveting and poignant while developing strong characters. Not to mention it never failed to make me laugh every single episode.

Dexter is off to a good start, but lets give it time.

Sidebar:
It's nice to see the Oz cast doing so well in newer shows. Dexter is loaded with them. I even think the cop whose sister was killed was "Cyril O'Reilly".
post #143 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I always wanted a "sloot" of my own. Where does one find one?

ha, I'm having a hard time finding a women myself, so I am not sure.
A 'Sloot' is a nicer term than 'slut' i say the term a lot, so I made it sound nicer and more goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

Considering how long they'd being seeing one another without any sexual conduct, I'd say Dexter had that coming :-)

Yeah I agree. I just ment how she dressed up as that comic book women, Laura Croft.
post #144 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrade-itis View Post

I even think the cop whose sister was killed was "Cyril O'Reilly".

Good call dude. His name is Scott Winters.
post #145 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

even if Michael C. Hall is no Ian McShane.

I was a HUGE fan of Six Feet Under (and Deadwood as well). I can say this much: I have not once thought about David Fisher as I watch Dexter ( even when he got a BJ from a woman instead of a man ). The man has some serious talent and, come Emmy time, I hope he gets some recognition.

Now, can someone please cast Lauren Ambrose (Clair Fisher) in something?
post #146 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Thus, it seems to me that having the drug dealer killed by Dexter in a later episode after having overplayed his hand would make a richly satisfying end to the drug dealer thread.

Either we don't see the guy again, or Dexter will find a creative way to deal with him, or just scare him off. He isn't worth killing as far as Dexter is concerned.

Having no emotion cuts both ways. It means he can't have genuine real human relationships, but it also means he's less susceptible to meting out justice based on emotion. He doesn't get indignant over a guy taking money from a single mother; he just sees extortion and intimidation. That's worth a broken limb, maybe, not death.
post #147 of 6863 Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55 View Post

lieutenant for me

Nah, I think the lieutenant is way too normal. Just an ambitious type who feels threatened by a young, up-and-coming female cop. Ditto the sister.

Dexter's gf -- there's some weirdness there but not THAT much weirdness.

Of all the characters we know, the only plausible one is Dexter himself. But if he turns out to be the ice truck killer, where do we go with this show?
post #148 of 6863 Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

I was a HUGE fan of Six Feet Under (and Deadwood as well). I can say this much: I have not once thought about David Fisher as I watch Dexter ( even when he got a BJ from a woman instead of a man ). The man has some serious talent and, come Emmy time, I hope he gets some recognition.

Now, can someone please cast Lauren Ambrose (Clair Fisher) in something?

Lauren has 3 movies coming out in the next little while. She chose to avoid TV if possible. Michael C. Hall is probably the most underrated actor on TV. 6FU was my favourite show and in scenes with Krause he'd make Peter look like a grade school actor.
post #149 of 6863 Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post

I was a HUGE fan of Six Feet Under (and Deadwood as well). I can say this much: I have not once thought about David Fisher as I watch Dexter ( even when he got a BJ from a woman instead of a man ). The man has some serious talent and, come Emmy time, I hope he gets some recognition

Hall is a tremendous talent and, as he is proving in Dexter, has a lot of range. Still, I thought McShane's performances as Al Swearengen on Deadwood were an endless joy, some of the best acting I have seen anywhere. The brilliant faux Shakespearian, scatological dialog had a lot to do with that, of course.
post #150 of 6863 Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Nah, I think the lieutenant is way too normal. Just an ambitious type who feels threatened by a young, up-and-coming female cop. Ditto the sister.

Dexter's gf -- there's some weirdness there but not THAT much weirdness.

Of all the characters we know, the only plausible one is Dexter himself. But if he turns out to be the ice truck killer, where do we go with this show?

Didn't Dexter say that the cuts the killer made were very surgical in nature?
This to me, would indicate someone in the profession of a chef, butcher or a
surgeon.

Doug

****A proud member of the National Sarcasm Society****
------Like we need your support----
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page