Friday Night Lights on NBC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only caught the end of this show, but like much of NBC's other programming lately, the mosaicing (blocking) during fast motion (the football scenes) was intense. This was on KXAN-DT Austin Texas, carried over Time Warner Cable. Might as well have been on YouTube. I sent an email to the station but I have no clue if it's a local problem or national.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The whole show looked like bad up-rezzed SD. It was grainy and artifacts happened when PEOPLE moved (of course, the bouncy camera meant it was always moving) but the football scenes were terrible. Then I realized I was watching football on NBC and it made sense.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the blocking is the least of this shows problems...i felt like I was watchign a dumb downed version of Varsity Blues mixed with the movie Friday Night Lights...not interested in this one at all...

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Despite the great pre-reviews and buzz, I, personally, was not impressed. I have a football background so I found some interest there. And that represents part of the problem I see. They played it up like it would be a great American mosaic played against a Texas HS football background. To me, if you have little real interest in football, it didn't hold your attention. That's a lot of folks, especially women (demographics not sexist). Personally, despite the glowing reviews - having watched this pilot and the preview for next week, I didn't really see myself adding this to my "must see" list. I may watch out of curiosity if nothing good conflicts, but not at all the big hit that was predicted (for me).

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Old 10-03-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got the same feelings flint...It was waaaaaay to predictable...

Hype up a potential state championship team...
Two star players
First game...team has troubles
#1 star gets hurt...
Must bring in in-experienced player to lead the team to victory...
Rube makes a daring, 'miracle' throw to save the game...

I know it's supposed to be based off the novel that the movie was based off of...but could they at least mix it up a bit? I felt like I'd watched that first episode a million times...in every other football movie.

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncxcstud View Post

I think the blocking is the least of this shows problems...i felt like I was watchign a dumb downed version of Varsity Blues mixed with the movie Friday Night Lights...not interested in this one at all...

The jerky camera work almost made me sick but I stuck with it. I thought it was okay but there was nothing original. I agree with the above comment "a dumbed down version of Varsity Blues mixed with the movie 'Friday Night Lights.'" From all the hype this show received I was hoping for something original. Anything original
about the reserve quarterback leading the team to a miraculous victory? Been done many times before and much better. I was hoping the show would focus on
the impact of high school football and the effects of the pressure to win on the kids, families, community, etc. Maybe this first episode was just setting up things and the program will get better. I'll give it at least one more shot--maybe the writers will take it in a non-formulaic way.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
NBC could have at least borrowed Ali Larter from Heroes for a whipped cream bikini scene.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I agree about the horrible motion blocking. However I am not going to watch this show for another reason, our local only sent 2.0 audio.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Removed this turd from my Season Pass.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well I will say it, I really liked it! Just wish it was in DD and the picture looked better.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
15 minutes and I was gone. Total dreck.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
I liked it, of course I liked the movie as well, and this first episode felt and looked just like the movie, and in fact, it was like seeing the whole movie in this one episode. The next couple of episodes will be the make or break for me.

I was especially pleased to hear "Explosions In The Sky" doing the bulk of the music portions of the soundtrack, which for me, contributed in a large way to my enjoyment of the original film.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:26 AM

Has there ever been a show that looked worse than this? Probably not, but Studio 60 was as bad!!!! Jesus Christ NBC Prime Time HD is horrific!!! Late night is great.. Fox is great and ABC is pretty damn good but NBC just pretty much sucks!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Picture here looked worse than NFL games do. Plus, KPNX screwing up the beginning and dropping to SD accompanied by some nasty crackling on the audio. Didn't stick around after that, and judging from the comments here, it's not even worth watching a rerun.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

The grainy look is intentional. KNTV-SF looked pretty good, didn't notice any blocking although I wasn't paying particular attention to the PQ. HD all the way through and KNTV was sending a DD 5.1 signal.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I thought "Friday Night Lights" could hardly have been better. The production values and the acting were both outstanding. The gritty, herky-jerky style of the photography fit, I thought. I did not notice any blocking but that could have been because I got caught up in the story.

The only football mistake I saw was at the end of the game when the running back made a first down and got out of bounds. Nevertheless, the clock started again when the ball was marked ready for play.

The script was literate and I thought the scene in the coach's house in which his daughter alludes to Moby Dick and asks her father if he is Coach Ahab, was terrific.

I simply can't understand why there was so much negative reaction to the show here. I guess it goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I got that from the previews. Had no interest in this show.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Maybe they were trying to simulate the way we used to shoot all our school's games on 16mm black-and-white movie film. I remember those old, brown painted, Bell and Howell comeras, with the "Mouse Ears" on top.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought "Friday Night Lights" could hardly have been better. The production values and the acting were both outstanding. The gritty, herky-jerky style of the photography fit, I thought. I did not notice any blocking but that could have been because I got caught up in the story.

The only football mistake I saw was at the end of the game when the running back made a first down and got out of bounds. Nevertheless, the clock started again when the ball was marked ready for play.

The script was literate and I thought the scene in the coach's house in which his daughter alludes to Moby Dick and asks her father if he is Coach Ahab, was terrific.

I simply can't understand why there was so much negative reaction to the show here. I guess it goes to show that there is no accounting for taste.

I agree, in fact as I was watching it I was thinking to myself that this could very well be the best new show I've seen this season aside from Studio 60, which I think is going to be in trouble ratings-wise due to it's Hollywood-specific nature, whereas Friday Night Lights could resonate very well with a much larger potential audience.

The herky-jerky, semi-documentary style presentation worked perfectly IMO. I thought the Moby Dick analogy was outstanding as well. I see the potential for some great characters to develop in this show, definitely looking forward to the next episode.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I heard on the radio that there is going to be an encore tonight. I might try to watch it if our local sends 5.1.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

The jerky, hand-held camera motion made us sea-sick. Our family won't be back to view any more of this one. We had high hopes and specifically tuned in to watch it because of the subject matter and the "Early Edition" guy. But... NBC shoots itself in the foot, yet again.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The technical aspect of the show was done very well...the acting was even good..the biggest problem I had/have with it is that I've seen it before...many times... Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights...If this came out first, and then the movies I'd probably like it a lot more...

I'll still give it another shot...to show me that it won't follow previous movies verbatim...

Though, I'm guarunteeing that within the next episodes, Streets girlfriend is going to start to go after the new QB...just like Varsity Blues...

It follows too closely to a pattern that's already been established...once it differientiates itself...then it might be good..but at this point...if it just turns out to be a 20+ week version of the movie Varsity Blues/Friday Night Lights, it's going to get boring for people, at least my wife and I, very quickly....

The only scene I really liked was the very end when the entire team is in the hospital...'Smash' and the fullback set their differences aside for the sake of the team...and the team itself came together...that was nice...everything else was 'been there, done that'

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This herky-jerky, semi-documentary style is a real piss-off imho ... whenever I see this (in any show) it just ruins the experience ... its kinda like style over substance ... and very pretentious )-: Maybe its an age thing ... it just seems juvenile imho ... and of course its very headache inducing (-;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post

The jerky, hand-held camera motion made us sea-sick. Our family won't be back to view any more of this one. We had high hopes and specifically tuned in to watch it because of the subject matter and the "Early Edition" guy. But... NBC shoots itself in the foot, yet again.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Overnights in the 18-49 Demo
Weak premiere for 'Friday Night Lights'
By Toni Fitzgerald MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer

NBC's Friday Night Lights got plenty of critical kudos, landing on most lists of the season's best new shows. But viewers were not as enamored with the show as critics.

Lights' debut last night at 8 p.m. averaged a 2.7 rating among adults 18-49, according to Nielsen overnights, finishing third in its timeslot. It was well behind ABC's competing Dancing with the Stars, at 4.9, and CBS's NCIS, at 4.0.

Lights averaged just 7.2 million total viewers, though it did stay relatively stable from its first to its second half hour, avoiding the second-half dip that has plagued new shows like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Brothers & Sisters and Six Degrees.

Lights, based on the book and movie of the same name, chronicles high school football in Texas. It's possible that some viewers dismissed the show as teenybopper drivel simply because of its high school focus, but it's also possible that Lights could dip even further in the coming weeks.

Fox did not air House, the usual timeslot winner, last night because of the baseball playoffs.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_7716.asp
Old 10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Wednesday, October 4, , 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )

In series-premiere news, the lights were clearly not bright on new NBC drama Friday Night Lights, which kicked-off with a mere 5.3/ 8 in the overnights (#4), 7.18 million viewers (#3) and a 2.7/ 8 among adults 18-49 (#3) at 8 p.m. Comparatively, former occupant The Biggest Loser averaged a heftier 5.9/ 9 in the overnights (#3), 8.36 million viewers and a 3.4/ 9 among adults 18-49 on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2005.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp
Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Not a good sign for the ratings for FNL when House wasn't even on last night in the 8pm timeslot (pre-empted for baseball).
Old 10-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I could not stand the camera work. Wayyyyyy overdone. Enough. Sound quality was not very good. Most of the dialog was difficult to understand. Local station did not do 5.1, maybe that's the issue. All it all it lost my wife in about 10 minutes and I got seasick half-way through. Since it is up against House I won't see it in HD any more.... Need that extra tuner.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post

This herky-jerky, semi-documentary style is a real piss-off imho ... whenever I see this (in any show) it just ruins the experience ... its kinda like style over substance ... and very pretentious )-: Maybe its an age thing ... it just seems juvenile imho ... and of course its very headache inducing (-;

My opinion exactly. I am not a fan of bouncing camera work for the above reasons.

The program itself was ok and I will try to give another chance or two to catch my attention.

I have read many comments on this forum regarding video quality on cable systems around the country for programs that I have watched here in Maine on Time Warner (Adelphia). Frequently, these comments refer to video glitches or shortcomings that I have not seen at all on our system. Many times the original negative comment is supported by others on other cable systems. So far, I have never seen the identified problems. Oddly, this is beginning to worry me because it is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. The networks are blamed for things that I just cannot see on my 50" Sony SXRD and I hope I never do, but if the problem exists in, say, Texas or Pennsylvania, can it really be that far from my tv screen? God, I hope so.

There is one exception to what I have noted here. I can readily see that although sports events look very good on Fox, they lack the real snap that I have seen elsewhere. Some events look better than others and it does appear to be pretty darn sharp, lately.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post

From my perspective, at least, it's not an age thing. I don't know how old jlsavs is but I suspect I am older. That's a hell of an admission but there it is.

I don't like pretentiousness, either, but I thought the hand-held cameras and their attendant shake added to the documentary style of the presentation and were not at all headache inducing.

Quote:

The technical aspect of the show was done very well...the acting was even good..the biggest problem I had/have with it is that I've seen it before...many times... Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights...If this came out first, and then the movies I'd probably like it a lot more...

I'll still give it another shot...to show me that it won't follow previous movies verbatim...

Though, I'm guarunteeing that within the next episodes, Streets girlfriend is going to start to go after the new QB...just like Varsity Blues...

It follows too closely to a pattern that's already been established...once it differientiates itself...then it might be good..but at this point...if it just turns out to be a 20+ week version of the movie Varsity Blues/Friday Night Lights, it's going to get boring for people, at least my wife and I, very quickly....

The only scene I really liked was the very end when the entire team is in the hospital...'Smash' and the fullback set their differences aside for the sake of the team...and the team itself came together...that was nice...everything else was 'been there, done that'

I suppose the show is a bit derivative but I have a hard time knocking it. After all, someone once wrote that there are only nine (or something like that) possible storylines. Also, it should come as no surprise that Friday Night Lights, the series, is reminiscent of Friday Nights Lights, the movie. That did seem to be what the show's creators had in mind.

I thought the show treated serious themes in a mature way that did not insult the viewers' intelligence, which is a rare enough commodity on network television.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Despite the great pre-reviews and buzz, I, personally, was not impressed. I have a football background so I found some interest there. And that represents part of the problem I see. They played it up like it would be a great American mosaic played against a Texas HS football background. To me, if you have little real interest in football, it didn't hold your attention. That's a lot of folks, especially women (demographics not sexist). Personally, despite the glowing reviews - having watched this pilot and the preview for next week, I didn't really see myself adding this to my "must see" list. I may watch out of curiosity if nothing good conflicts, but not at all the big hit that was predicted (for me).

I wouldn't consider myself a big football fan at all. I used to watch a pretty fair amount when I was younger but it's gotten to be such an ego fest these days it's taken a lot of the fun out of it for me. Despite that, I did think FNL was interesting and not because of the actual game aspect. To me it seemed like the real story of the show was detailing and exploring the amazingly over the top fanaticism that seems to engulf much of that part of the country when it comes to football. The actual game itself wasn't really the plotline at all, but rather just an event along the way in the much bigger story about the intense, pressure cooker that is southern FB. I thought they did a good job of trying to capture that. The audio snippets of radio show callers comments, the town "boosters" and their comments at the car dealership opening etc created a palpable feeling to me.

FWIW, I didn't really notice any compression/motion artifacting here in PDX. Also, I do like early Sabbath, but it doesn't seem to make me angry though...

ron