post #271 of 1183 Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns View Post

What happened to her to get that scar she has on her face?

She has always refused to discuss it saying it's a childhood scar, it was her parents' fault, and she doesn't want to upset them by talking about it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1183 Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

On a more serious note, I know most people here think this show is a winner, but I can't seem to crack a smile during it. The NBC page could be a winner, however, if given more opportunity. He may get that opportunity once Alec Baldwin reaps the harvest of today's celeb news item. .......... Odd that he should call his 11 year old daughter a pig when he bears such a close resemblance himself. But, then, he's a funny guy, I guess.

While I'm not condoning Alec's comments to his daughter (we don't know what the whole context is, and I'm not about to question anyone else's parenting style. My mother said worse to me and somehow I turned out all right. I think.), it was beyond the pale for Kim Basinger to 1) tape the private conversation between her daughter and her father, and 2) to then release the tape to the media. Pathetic. That has to be one of the nastiest divorces ever.
post #273 of 1183 Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

While I'm not condoning Alec's comments to his daughter (we don't know what the whole context is, and I'm not about to question anyone else's parenting style. My mother said worse to me and somehow I turned out all right. I think.), it was beyond the pale for Kim Basinger to 1) tape the private conversation between her daughter and her father, and 2) to then release the tape to the media. Pathetic. That has to be one of the nastiest divorces ever.

Might be over the top to an 11 year old girl.
At the dinner table, maybe okay.
In that context, maybe not.
post #274 of 1183 Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Don't watch this show, but I dropped by the thread after noticing it continually near the top of the list. Looks like it took at least two current-events related turns (vastly unrelated to one another, but related to the show in varying degrees), but remained civil. The added bonus of the Tina Fey Wonderbra advertisement made this visit a pleasant one. Adios...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #275 of 1183 Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Regarding HDTVFanAtic: Never trust a guy that continues to spell "losing" as "loosing" even after discussing the difference. He's a ....... ,well,............. fanatic.

On a more serious note, I know most people here think this show is a winner, but I can't seem to crack a smile during it. The NBC page could be a winner, however, if given more opportunity. He may get that opportunity once Alec Baldwin reaps the harvest of today's celeb news item. .......... Odd that he should call his 11 year old daughter a pig when he bears such a close resemblance himself. But, then, he's a funny guy, I guess.

This is another case of "different strokes for different folks". I think 30Rock is one of the most funny shows on TV today. I am just curious to know what other comedies you like better on TV.
post #276 of 1183 Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

This is another case of "different strokes for different folks". I think 30Rock is one of the most funny shows on TV today. I am just curious to know what other comedies you like better on TV.

The Office
post #277 of 1183 Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Office

It's just odd that you find The Office funny, but "hardly crack a smile" watching 30 Rock.
post #278 of 1183 Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

It's just odd that you find The Office funny, but "hardly crack a smile" watching 30 Rock.

i could see where he's coming from...i am a huge fan of The Office, but it did take me a while to put 30 Rock on my "must watch" schedule...last week's episode was hysterical...watched it another time this weekend...that one and the one where Jack meets Dennis (Lemon's ex) are a must watch for this series so far.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #279 of 1183 Old 04-22-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

i could see where he's coming from...i am a huge fan of The Office, but it did take me a while to put 30 Rock on my "must watch" schedule...last week's episode was hysterical...watched it another time this weekend...that one and the one where Jack meets Dennis (Lemon's ex) are a must watch for this series so far.

Lemon's "seductive dance in the night dress" was funny as hell as well.
post #280 of 1183 Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not really. My wife and I feel the same way. 'The Office' and 'Earl' bequeath many "laugh out loud" bits every week, but '30 Rock', just a few chuckles, lots of smiles, but very few belly laughs. It has its moments, but it seems wildly uneven to us. We consider it a poor third out of those three. And Baldwin absolutely carries it; it falls way off when he's not onscreen. 'Scrubs' has never interested us because of its lack of HD.
post #281 of 1183 Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 AM

"Originally Posted by Stan54
On a more serious note, I know most people here think this show is a winner, but I can't seem to crack a smile during it. The NBC page could be a winner, however, if given more opportunity. He may get that opportunity once Alec Baldwin reaps the harvest of today's celeb news item. .......... Odd that he should call his 11 year old daughter a pig when he bears such a close resemblance himself. But, then, he's a funny guy, I guess."

Didn't he say he was leaving the country a few years back?
post #282 of 1183 Old 04-23-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Why? They are completely different types of comedy. I personally like them both, but for very different reasons. It would be easy to understand somebody liking one and not the other.
post #283 of 1183 Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I agree with the comments about Office and Earl being consistently funnier on a weekly basis. However, 30 Rock is now a solid third best comedy on TV right now IMO.

While I also agree Baldwin is the best part of the show, Tina Fey, the page, and some of the guest stars have provided some great lol moments, especially over the last half a dozen shows. Even Tracy Morgan has been less irritating lately. No other comedy on right now (outside of Office and Earl and Curb if it ever makes it back on the air) makes me want to watch an episode a second time.

All very different comedies, but each has intelligent writing that is missing from shows like Two and a Half Men and George Lopez, for example.
post #284 of 1183 Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Why? They are completely different types of comedy. I personally like them both, but for very different reasons. It would be easy to understand somebody liking one and not the other.

My comment was in response to Stan's post that he thinks The Office is funny, but he finds himself hardly cracking a smile watching 30 Rock [paraphrased].

I could understand finding Earl and The Office to be funnier, but just hardly cracking a smile on this show? Anyway, as I said "different strokes for different folks, and all is fair."

Maybe I am an oddball, but in my case I find Earl's comedy to be "deliberate" kinda funny, and The Office is ever so subtle that it is consistently "humorous" and requires a kind of personal exposure to such oddball characters and work environment to make you truly appreciate the genius behind that show. 30 Rock, for me is on a similar level but with a better mix of slapstick and subtlety.

But hey, y'all's MMV.
post #285 of 1183 Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I notice that I'm not even smiling on that show when the page appears on screen because my face starts to relax from a deep frown. If he was on a couple of more minutes, things might start to roll a little bit. Perhaps, Tina Fey should write more of him into the script and more of her out. Tracy Morgan is definitely not needed. As a matter of fact, I see him as a deadweight to this program.

Next time this show comes on, I going to try really, really, really hard to get into it.
post #286 of 1183 Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I am a bit concerned about Alec Baldwin's well-being. According to Drudge, Rosie O'Donnell did an interview with him (poor guy), and this was the outcome:
Quote:

"He is leaving the country," O'Donnell told a stunned audience, says a source. [It was not clear if it was for vacation or an extended period of time.]

Further, Baldwin said he wants out of the TV business, and has no desire to work in TV ever again. I think he may be truly depressed. Sure, I find him boorish, angry, and wrong-headed, but I wouldn't want him to try to hurt/kill himself.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #287 of 1183 Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
luckily there are a few spare baldwins lying around hollywood. 30 rock could probably get one of them if necessary.
post #288 of 1183 Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would have to go with:
1. Stephen-gone crazy with his new found religous awakening.
2. Daniel-I believe he went crazy on a celebrity diet show
3. Billy-married to one of the Wilson-Phillip ladies (the good looking one, not the fat one).

That would be the order would hire them in.
post #289 of 1183 Old 04-26-2007, 06:08 AM

I've watched every episode and I've definitely noticed a change in Baldwin's demeanor as the season has gone on. In the beginning he seemed more animated in this role, but lately he appears to be going through the motions....
post #290 of 1183 Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 AM

[quote=IAM4UK] According to Drudge, Rosie O'Donnell did an interview with him QUOTE]

Wow. Rosie O'Donnell interviewing Alec Baldwin. . .
Did they speak in piglatin?
post #291 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

It's ironic that one of the main plot threads of 30 Rock is Jack trying to manage a mentally ill star (Tracy) and keep the show going. In real life Baldwin is the crazy person that is going to sink the show with his instability. Only a nut would talk to his daughter the way Alec Baldwin did. (And I'm not taking sides. I think Kim Basinger is just as crazy).

It's a sad situation for Mr. Baldwin and all people involved in 30 Rock that are going to lose their jobs. I don't think the show can go on without him and be successful.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #292 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

According to Drudge, Rosie O'Donnell did an interview with him

Wow. Rosie O'Donnell interviewing Alec Baldwin. . .
Did they speak in piglatin?

at-Thay is-ay unnu-fay!

I love this show. While I agree Baldwin has been fantastic I think he could easily be replaced, at least plot-wise. He nearly lost his job already after the ill-fated fireworks show.
post #293 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schauer View Post

at-Thay is-ay unnu-fay!

I love this show. While I agree Baldwin has been fantastic I think he could easily be replaced, at least plot-wise. He nearly lost his job already after the ill-fated fireworks show.

Rosie O'Donnell and Alec Baldwin in the buff, rubbed down in salad oil. Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilley in the center of the pit, each with a Danish. Bell rings!!! Who comes out alive?
post #294 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As one of the articles posted in Hot off the Press suggested, they should sign Steven Webber to replace Baldwin if Baldwin's going to be a problem. He was the only funny/good thing about Studio 60 that deserves saving anyway.
post #295 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rosie O'Donnell and Alec Baldwin in the buff, rubbed down in salad oil. Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilley in the center of the pit, each with a Danish. Bell rings!!! Who comes out alive?

I'd put my money on Rosie.

That's kind of a cool idea about Steven Weber. He could even play the same character, who gets a lateral transfer after his Studio 60 show is cancelled.
post #296 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977 View Post

Only a nut would talk to his daughter the way Alec Baldwin did. (And I'm not taking sides. I think Kim Basinger is just as crazy).

While the things he said were indefensible, I think if you conducted a random poll of parents around the world, you'd find that the vast majority have had at least one experience losing their cool just as badly as Baldwin did (if they were being honest).

Hell, when I was a kid, my mother said some things to me that'd make Baldwin blush, and she was usually spanking my behind until it glowed red while she did it. Somehow I turned out OK. Haven't felt the need for therapy.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #297 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

While the things he said were indefensible, I think if you conducted a random poll of parents around the world, you'd find that the vast majority have had at least one experience losing their cool just as badly as Baldwin did (if they were being honest).

Hell, when I was a kid, my mother said some things to me that'd make Baldwin blush, and she was usually spanking my behind until it glowed red while she did it. Somehow I turned out OK. Haven't felt the need for therapy.

Agree 100%, and said so earlier in either this thread or HOTP. Funny how nobody seems to have condemned Kim Basinger for taping his private phone call to his daughter (isn't it a crime to tape record a telephone conversation without the other person's knowledge?), then releasing it to the press, and then lying about it on top of it all. Good grief. Talk about a nasty divorce.

But then it's easy to jump on Alec Baldwin. His brothers always seem to be in trouble for something or other and his outspoken political views have made him a lot of enemies.
post #298 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Agree 100%, and said so earlier in either this thread or HOTP. Funny how nobody seems to have condemned Kim Basinger for taping his private phone call to his daughter (isn't it a crime to tape record a telephone conversation without the other person's knowledge?), then releasing it to the press, and then lying about it on top of it all. Good grief. Talk about a nasty divorce.

But then it's easy to jump on Alec Baldwin. His brothers always seem to be in trouble for something or other and his outspoken political views have made him a lot of enemies.

Having voice mail messages recorded is not illegal taping and no crime that I'm aware of was committed here, except potentially implied threats by Baldwin to his own child. (Gee, wasn't he also the guy who publically called for the "stoning" of a politician he disagreed with?) Yeah, great non-threatening guy, that Alec.

You imply it was a live phone conversation btwn the father and daughter, when it was a meltdown message left by Baldwin on the child's voice mail. Flat accusations of Basinger lying are, as yet, unknown and unproven, if even suspected. However, I don't doubt it for a second, but that's my opinion, not fact as presented here. She seems equally unstable to me. As also noted by a previous poster, so I don't see where Basinger is getting a free pass here.

And while I agree in general with Josh Z's description of all our childhood experiences, I think the history of this case and Baldwin's past behavior was different and sufficient to provoke a judge to issue a restraining order against him. Yes, he's made enemies. But he has worked hard to earn most of them. This latest bit of "parenting" certainly doesn't help. He was the best thing on 30 Rock, but that future is now in doubt. The male equivalent of a Rosie O'Donnell meltdown in public.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #299 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 03:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey, don't you understand?! This is a baseless Alec Baldwin attack thread only!

You must hate freedom.
post #300 of 1183 Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

You imply it was a live phone conversation btwn the father and daughter, when it was a meltdown message left by Baldwin on the child's voice mail. Flat accusations of Basinger lying are, as yet, unknown and unproven, if even suspected. However, I don't doubt it for a second, but that's my opinion, not fact as presented here. She seems equally unstable to me. As also noted by a previous poster, so I don't see where Basinger is getting a free pass here.

Yeah, you're right, it was a recorded message. But Basinger had to have given it to the press; no other option (certainly, an 11 year old couldn't and wouldn't have done it). And then she lied about doing it. IMO, airing your family's dirty laundry in public just to hurt your Ex is far more despicable than anything Alec said to the kid. But she certainly seems to have gotten a "free pass" on that in the press and the "court of public opinion", if not here in this thread. That's my point.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page