post #542 of 1183 Old 12-13-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Meh, it's been just another consistently mediocre year for The Office. Last nights 30 Rock was definitely not its best. I rank it and the Aniston episodes as the worst of the young season. Still consistently the funniest show on TV, and the reunion show will probably win Fey another emmy.

Although we disagree about the quality of The Office this season, we do agree, wholeheartedly, about 30 Rock's high school reunion episode. It was inspired. I was less impressed with this week's show, although I always like it when Jane Krakowski is given a chance to sing. She is a big time musical theater talent. Likewise, the seemingly ageless Elaine Stritch. So, as usual, there was something to like in this week's show.
post #543 of 1183 Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"If I wanted to lick a hippie I'd return Joan Baez' calls." Possibly the funniest line I've heard all season!
post #544 of 1183 Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

The way NBC has been run lately, they aren't too far off. What's great is that the writers of 30 Rock have no problem biting the hand that feeds them.

This NBC tradition is as old as Saturday Night Live.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #545 of 1183 Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

This NBC tradition is as old as Saturday Night Live.

Interesting you mention that. Someone sent me this link the other day. From SNL when they cancelled Star Trek:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/19313/satu...hip-enterprise

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #546 of 1183 Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
missed these 2 reruns that they showed last night.

glad i got to see them.

neflixis our nemesis
post #547 of 1183 Old 12-20-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

missed these 2 reruns that they showed last night.

glad i got to see them.

My Season Pass recorded the 2 reruns but when I saw what they were I deleted them without watching. That doesn't mean I am any less fond of 30 Rock than I was, it merely means that I remembered both episodes too well to be interested in seeing them again so soon.
post #548 of 1183 Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My Season Pass recorded the 2 reruns but when I saw what they were I deleted them without watching. That doesn't mean I am any less fond of 30 Rock than I was, it merely means that I remembered both episodes too well to be interested in seeing them again so soon.

I did the same.
post #549 of 1183 Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
It should be noted that 30 Rock picked up 3 Golden Globes for Best Television Series - Musical Or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy (Tina Fey), and Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy (Alec Baldwin).
post #550 of 1183 Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

It should be noted that 30 Rock picked up 3 Golden Globes for Best Television Series - Musical Or Comedy, Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy (Tina Fey), and Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy (Alec Baldwin).

Well deserved.

The most recent episode was really good. Loved the bits with Tracy spending his money so his wife can't get it. "Stand back folks, this is going to happen!"
post #551 of 1183 Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM

I recently started watching, and man. It's a super funny series.

huh?
post #552 of 1183 Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Was able to catch all the eps I missed by streaming Netflix on my Xbox, and in HD - sweet!
post #553 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

It is interesting to read the beginning of this thread. When 30 Rock started everybody hated it. Except Josh Z and me. We saw the genius of the show. I'm glad that it found an audience.

I now realize that the satire totally went over a lot of people's heads. For those of you that do not know, General Electric, with over 300,000 employees, is the worlds largest conglomerate. GE makes locomotives, jet engines, light bulbs and microwaves. Oh, and it also owns NBC-Universal. So a lot of the humor of the show is biting the hand that feeds it by poking fun at GE.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #554 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

"...like the remake of An Affair to Remember that I was in: A Blaffair to Rememblack."
post #555 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977 View Post

It is interesting to read the beginning of this thread. When 30 Rock started everybody hated it. Except Josh Z and me. We saw the genius of the show. I'm glad that it found an audience.

I saw the potential of the show. I felt at the beginning that the characters were over the top and not convincing yet and the show was shamelessly "adopting" jokes from other shows. The writing has gotten much more original and inventive.

Also during the first season, the disappointing Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip made me extra skeptical of TV shows about TV shows. Fortunately 30 Rock is hardly about a TV show (we rarely see three minutes of it in an episode and it's intentionally awful) and more about corporate America. Sometimes 30 Rock seems like a parody of what Studio 60 wanted us to take seriously.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #556 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 AM

It's gotten a lot better since it's premiere, no doubt, but that's not surprising as the writers and cast found their footing and got comfortable in their roles. And Alec Baldwin, like a great basketball playmaker, makes everyone around him better and funnier.

But I still don't think it's as flat-out brilliant as 'The Office' can be at its best, and 'Earl' always brings the funny, albeit the more low-brow form thereof. On cable, you have a whole slew of hi-larious and inventive comedies including 'Weeds', 'Curb...", "Flight of the Conchords", etc. I enjoy '30 Rock' but really, some of these endless accolades are getting to be embarrassingly too much. It's just not that good and, skeyhill's effusive praise notwithstanding, is far from the best comedy on TV. But, since nothing begats more awards than previously-begat awards, we can expect to see Tina and Co. cleaning up for years to come. And that's unfortunate, because this show is sucking all the accolade-oxygen out of the room.
post #557 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

It's gotten a lot better since it's premiere, no doubt, but that's not surprising as the writers and cast found their footing and got comfortable in their roles. And Alec Baldwin, like a great basketball playmaker, makes everyone around him better and funnier.

But I still don't think it's as flat-out brilliant as 'The Office' can be at its best, and 'Earl' always brings the funny, albeit the more low-brow form thereof. On cable, you have a whole slew of hi-larious and inventive comedies including 'Weeds', 'Curb...", "Flight of the Conchords", etc. I enjoy '30 Rock' but really, some of these endless accolades are getting to be embarrassingly too much. It's just not that good and, skeyhill's effusive praise notwithstanding, is far from the best comedy on TV. But, since nothing begats more awards than previously-begat awards, we can expect to see Tina and Co. cleaning up for years to come. And that's unfortunate, because this show is sucking all the accolade-oxygen out of the room.

Earl used to be funny, now it's just a joke unfortunately. Weeds is good, but not hilarious even at its best. 30 Rock shouldn't be embarassed at all by the praise. It deserves all of it. Best comedy on TV. Nothing comes remotely close. The Office at its best, while better than most everything else on TV, can't hold 30 Rocks jock.
post #558 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Earl used to be funny, now it's just a joke unfortunately. Weeds is good, but not hilarious even at its best. 30 Rock shouldn't be embarassed at all by the praise. It deserves all of it. Best comedy on TV. Nothing comes remotely close. The Office at its best, while better than most everything else on TV, can't hold 30 Rocks jock.

Ah, still effusively praising I see. Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, as Kenneth might say. Comedy is subjective. I'm sure some people would equally praise '2 1/2 Men' and a boatload of folks watch it, yet it gets no notice here. Thank goodness.
post #559 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

30 Rock and The Office are pretty easily the top 2 comedies on TV right now, but I give the nod to 30 Rock. I've been on board with The Office since season 1 (and the original UK version before that), but 30 Rock clearly jumped ahead last season and has continued in the lead. I barely made it through one season of Earl before dumping it.
post #560 of 1183 Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'd go Always Sunny, The Office, then 30 Rock.
post #561 of 1183 Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
the best comedies on TV IMO:

The Office: i used to think this was the best comedy on TV, but 30 Rock surpassed it last year. all the extended eps of The Office last season really left a sour taste in my mouth...it seems like once they get over that 30 minute mark, you start looking at the clock thinking, "when is this ep gonna end." also, it's better when they don't focus so much on Michael and Dwight...the other players are funnier IMO and the best eps are the ones where they are sprinkled in more often...ie, Creed.

30 Rock: it started off slow in season 1, but ep #6 ("Jack Meets Dennis") hooked me...i still watch that one occasionally...classic. it took a dip towards the end of season 1, but really picked up steam last season with "Seinfeldvision" and "MILF Island" and hasn't looked back...all the praise is well deserved. even Tina Fey, who i never thought was a great actress, is hysterical.

Always Sunny In Philadelphia: oh Always Sunny, how i missed you this last season (4). i absolutely loved season 3 and most of season 2 as well, but season 4 was hit or miss...big time. there was only one real standout ep "The Gang Solves The Gas Crisis", but about 1/2 eps in this past season were borderline awful...even the return of Night Man/Day Man in the finale felt forced. guess they peaked in season 3 with "Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person" and "The Gang Solves The Korean Conflict". now that my hopes aren't so high, i'm hoping that season 5 will get them back on track.

Scrubs: seasons 6 & 7 were hit or miss, but unlike season 4 of Always Sunny, they were more hit than miss. season 8 has started off really strong and glad to see they're gonna end on a high note. even watching eps from the first couple seasons, they're just as strong as they are now...which doesn't usually happen with a comedy...typically, it takes them a season or two to hit their stride (ie, Seinfeld...the first season or two of that show is practically unwatchable).

How I Met Your Mother: consistently funny show, just not always LOL funny. what i like about HIMYM is that it rewards loyal viewers with inside jokes from seasons past (loved the return of Robin Sparkles this year)...much like Arrested Development did, which IMO, was the funniest comedy ever on network TV...with Arrested Development, once you "get it", you'll never stop chuckling at ALL the little things that go on in each ep.

Sturmie

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #562 of 1183 Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I was going to type a long post, but it seems Sturmie has almost the exact same opinions as me, though I'm just now catching HIMYM.

Sunny gave us a couple other great moments though - I spotted a Green Man in the stands of at least two college football games this year.
post #563 of 1183 Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

worst episode of the season tonight?
post #564 of 1183 Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

i thought it was pretty funny. above average. i liked all the Tracy scenes and Tina dancing for the shot
post #565 of 1183 Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
last night was good, not great. it made me laugh

all the non sequitors they throw in keeps me amused

neflixis our nemesis
post #566 of 1183 Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

...all the non sequitors they throw in keeps me amused

I loved Jack's response, "that reminds me I have to call Lou Dobbs".
post #567 of 1183 Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I loved Jack's response, "that reminds me I have to call Lou Dobbs".

I loved that. Almost as good as something he said in last week's episode that went something like, "Thanks for telling me something I already know. What are you, the Huffington Post?"
post #568 of 1183 Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atyclb View Post

worst episode of the season tonight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

i thought it was pretty funny. above average. i liked all the Tracy scenes and Tina dancing for the shot

I am in the middle on this. While I thought it probably wasn't the worst episode of the season, I am not sure that it was as good as the average episode has been. Fortunately, 30 Rock has set pretty high standards, so while some of it fell flat this week there was still a lot to laugh at, I thought.
post #569 of 1183 Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I loved that. Almost as good as something he said in last week's episode that went something like, "Thanks for telling me something I already know. What are you, the Huffington Post?"

I didn't get the Huff Post joke.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #570 of 1183 Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy crap!! I just finished watching Thursday's episode and my jaw dropped when I saw the show's actual credits at the end and even the sound effect on the "Universal Media Studios" vanity card. Wow, that almost never happens in primetime on network TV. NBC must've goofed on this one.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page