Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1183 Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Don't believe everything you read. There's two sides to every story, and in the case of high-profile celebrities, you're never going to hear all the details.

He's a very smart guy, and very outspoken in his beliefs, which I find quite refreshing. If more people with high visibility weren't afraid to speak truth to power, things might look a little different right now. And, no question, he's a terrific actor.

I normally don't but in this case I think I believe it. I can't remember where but I read he's already had an outburst on the set of this show. Nevertheless it won't stop me from watching tv and movies with him in it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1183 Old 10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I guess people here realize the show is so lame,there aren't even any comments for tonight's abysmally unfunny episode.
post #93 of 1183 Old 10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The sooner this is off the air, the better. The Tracey Morgan show was better than this...and that was crap.
post #94 of 1183 Old 10-18-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonights episode was ok but not as good as the first for sure. I still think its funnier than most new comedies that come on. I am still giving it a chance even after tonights less than perfect episode.
post #95 of 1183 Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Still not very funny.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #96 of 1183 Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Well, this one was marginally better than the first...marginally. It's still satire done to a fare-thee-well and almost a cartoon to me. Baldwin (damn him ) remains solid while I am quickly losing interest in the others. Tina Fey's character is becoming almost pathetic vs someone who should be taking on the bosses for the good of her show. A few good moments (the accidental miking for one) but mostly uninspiring as either comedy or satire or whatever odd combination they are striving for. It solidly joins my personal list of shows I had hopes for but am now very disappointed with - even though it's only two episodes. I simply don't see the long term potential yet. But I'll give it a bit more time.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #97 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Gai
AVS Special Member

It has potential. And there's nothing I watch during that time slot anyways so I'm giving it a chance.

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #98 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One more week to go before it's gone from my recurring recordings. But the more I think about it, why am I suprised? SNL sucked when Fey was writing for it so why should a series she's writing be any different?
post #99 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Well, both my DVR's tuners are already busy chugging away on other channels when this show airs. Last week, for the premiere, I remembered to watch it "live", but forgot last night and missed Ep-2. So I ask my fellow viewers:

Should I make an effort to find this ep online, or just bag it? I enjoyed Baldwin's performance in the first one but everything else just left me....."meh". I hate to miss the next "must watch" comedy, but I'm not sure this is it....
post #100 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
kbp

You could pick it up off Bravo when it re-airs during the week.....don't know the time and day though.

Slightly better this week than last....
post #101 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Should I make an effort to find this ep online, or just bag it? I enjoyed Baldwin's performance in the first one but everything else just left me....."meh". I hate to miss the next "must watch" comedy, but I'm not sure this is it....

I was so-so on the first ep, even less impressed on the second. Baldwin is easily the best part of the show, but I don't think he alone can save it. IMO, this is not "must watch" TV unless things turn around from here.

I'm one of those that just don't "get" what is funny about Tracey Morgan, and Tina Fey has been disappointing. I won't waste my time much longer for one or two funny lines in a 30 minute episode. By comparision, Earl and Office are brilliant IMO. This show is nowhere close to being in the same league.
post #102 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Baldwin is easily the best part of the show, but I don't think he alone can save it. IMO, this is not "must watch" TV unless things turn around from here.

I agree about Baldwin - but he is not on-screen enough to save the rest. Tina Fey is tremendously disappointing. I expected much better from her.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #103 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

Tina Fey is tremendously disappointing. I expected much better from her.

Then you haven't been watching SNL the last few years.
post #104 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
(From Marc Berman's Thursday, October 19, 2006, Programming Insider column at Mediaweek.com )

week two of NBC sitcoms 30 Rock and 20 Good Years bled by double-digit percentages from last week's already disappointing debuts. Take a look:

NBC/Wednesday 8 p.m.
30 Rock
10/11/06 - Overnights: 6.3/10 (#3)
Viewers: 8.13 million (#3)
A18-49: 2.9/ 8 (#3)
10/18/06 - Overnights: 4.4/ 7 (#4)
Viewers: 5.85 million (#4)
A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#3)

20 Good Years/Wednesday 8:30 p.m.
10/11/06 - Overnights: 5.7/ 9 (#3)
Viewers: 7.05 million (#4)
A18-49: 2.5/ 7 (#5)
10/18/06 - Overnights: 4.2/ 6 (#4)
Viewers: 5.10 million (#4)
A18-49: 2.1/ 8 (#5)

To make matters even worse, failed year-ago time period occupant E-Ring averaged a 6.7/10 in the overnights, with 9.55 million viewers and a 2.8/ 8 among adults 18-49.

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newslett...ider/index.jsp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #105 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^Well, I guess my question above is more-or-less answered. This one's on its way out; it'll be gone by November sweeps.
post #106 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Am I the only one that loves this show? Caught it by accident waiting for Lost to come on (albeit it a different network) but its so hilarious...Tracy Morgan is great....his one-liners totally make the show funny

"HEY YOU WANNA GO CRASH MY CAR AND SEE IF THE AIR BAGS GO OFF?!?"

I died laughing...

and when whats-her-name says "Did I say the N word???" I died again

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #107 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

Am I the only one that loves this show?

Well, according to the ratings, there's not many.
post #108 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
The problem is they are spending too much time on Fey and not enough on the rest of the cast. The show could be really funny, but Fey can not cary it.
post #109 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 AM

I thought Episode 102 was much better than the first. Tracy Morgan is great.
post #110 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 12:33 PM

I thought it was good and showed some serious potential for the future. Tracy's rant about the government pitting the blacks against the women in a diabolical scheme to inject aids into their chicken nuggets was priceless.

I think it has all the parts to be a good show, its just struggling to find a balance. Because of that it feels a little forced at times. But I think the premise of the show is there, and the talent is there, it just needs to hit its stride. Every show takes time to settle down and find its niche, thats why it angers me when something gets cancelled so quickly. Watch the first season of the Simpsons sometime and ask yourself if it would be on the air after 6 episides on fox today.

But I digress, If I were running the show I'd probrably ensemble the cast a little more, rather than make it the 'Tina Fey runs the Girlie Show story' Actually I did kind of get an Arrested Development vibe being set up. Where Tina Fey was being set up as the level headed Jason Batemen character trying to save the buisness and Alec Baldwin was the Jefferey Tambour father figure that just keeps throwing wrenches into the mix. Then you have all the cast members and writers that are all individually quirky, needy and demanding brothers and sisters. And I swear Tracy was trying to steal the Bluth's boat in the second episode heh...

Finally have you noticed that there has been very minimal screen time with both Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan at the same time thus far? they are so diametrically oppose characters on the show I'd think that is going to be a intresting dynamic.
post #111 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I liked this episode. I have read several reviews from people who have seen later episodes that say Tracy Morgan tones down his performance as the show continues. If that is true, I will continue to watch. His over-the-topness is the only thing I'm not enjoying about the show.
post #112 of 1183 Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I liked this episode. I have read several reviews from people who have seen later episodes that say Tracy Morgan tones down his performance as the show continues. If that is true, I will continue to watch. His over-the-topness is the only thing I'm not enjoying about the show.

Or from a storyline arc standpoint, Tracy's over-the-topness is an obstacle that Tina Fey's character is trying to overcome. It appears this show will follow the formula of modern sitcoms ie, arrested development, scrubs, the office, etc and have definitive storyline arcs. Instead of the traditional Cheers, Seinfeld, Simpsons mold of with a few exceptions most plot points dont matter episode to episode.

I agree Tracy is too over the top now, but if he tones it down properly then it was a good comedic decision to start out over the top because it fits the character well. I think the Tracy character is funny, however I think it will be played out quickly if he stays at this volume for the entire season so he needs to tone it down. He gets the 'fish out of water license' to play the over the top card for 2-3 episodes, get a few cheap laughs. Then its down to buisness. Flesh out an eccentric but not over the top character, and thats going to be the hard part, to walk that line between funny and annoying. He does have some great one liners in the first two episodes though so I do have some high hopes.
post #113 of 1183 Old 10-22-2006, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Freaky deakies need love too!
post #114 of 1183 Old 10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought tonight's episode was the funniest so far this season, probably because it featured more of Baldwin and the rest of the cast, and much less of Tracy. I think the Kenneth character has some potential.

The poker game had some good moments. "You can't read his thoughts because he doesn't have any."
post #115 of 1183 Old 10-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
agreed,tonight's episode was a major improvement with more Baldwin.Also thought the bit about Tina and her lesbian friend ("I'll let you do things to me") was funny.
post #116 of 1183 Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I thought tonights was kind of a stinker...not enough Tracey and he wasn't crazy enough...also, the joking on food in your apartment...seriously wtf?

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #117 of 1183 Old 10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I really liked this episode it had some of the bizarreness that curb and arrested development did obviously toned down. So I wouldn't be too sad if this show disappeared but this one episode was awesome.
post #118 of 1183 Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, quite a few chuckles in this episode. The page kid licking the dorito while Baldwin was trying to get a read on him had me rolling.

I want to play some one card stud.
post #119 of 1183 Old 10-26-2006, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I thought tonight's episode was the funniest so far this season, probably because it featured more of Baldwin and the rest of the cast, and much less of Tracy. I think the Kenneth character has some potential.

The poker game had some good moments. "You can't read his thoughts because he doesn't have any."

Agree.

Fey's wit is not of the slam-bang in-your-face hard HAR-HAR variety, but rather sort of intertwines around you with a certain kind of observational charm and sweetness.

I think the tone is settling in for this series. I liked alot or all of the bits in this one -- the thing about Baldwin's character just off the top of his head implanting in Fey's mind that he would have thought she would be worried about choking alone in her apartment, then playing that out. Fey's character interpreted as gay might have been too aggressive or over-the-top as humor, but was mitigated by the little reflective vignette of life incidences which pointed to people in her past arriving at that same conclusion. Then having her character be longing enough for companionship that she pursues an inappropriate gay mate -- all funny. Loved the poker standoff; the redoubtable and Glengarry intense Baldwin faces off against blank slate bucolic, to then launch into a riff on SILENCE OF THE LAMBS -- inspired! Licking the chip -- just offbeat quirky chuckling kind of stuff.

It strikes me that anyone expecting a guffaw-a-minute laugh riot of sprawling wild comedic flourishes will miss the underplayed observational and sweet-toned charm of this one.
post #120 of 1183 Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Fey's wit is not of the slam-bang in-your-face hard HAR-HAR variety, but rather sort of intertwines around you with a certain kind of observational charm and sweetness.

I agree, and that's why I just don't like Tracy Morgan in this show. I suppose he's there as an in-your-face juxtaposition, but not only he is not funny, he disrupts the rhythm of the other characters. This episode was much improved with only a very small dose of Tracy.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page