30 Rock in HDTV on NBC! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1183 Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sigh.. of course its cancelled! This has developed into one of my favorite new shows of the season and one that I can count on to make me laugh and it is canceled.. even after winning awards at the globes! What happened to giving shows a chance.. shows like cheers didn't even become popular until 2 or 3 seasons in.. at least give it one full season before you pull the plug!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1183 Old 02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
i don't think it has been canceled...

http://www.tbo.com/entertainment/tv/MGB945IHTXE.html

Quote:

ANDY'S SHOW: NBC also has announced that a new comedy, "Andy Barker, P.I.," starring Andy Richter, will replace the comedy "30 Rock" on Thursdays beginning March 15.

But "30 Rock" is doing well enough to come back from a short hiatus.

"30 Rock," starring Tina Fey, is a better behind-the-scenes satire of television than "Studio 60."

And Alec Baldwin is a hoot as the sleazy studio executive on "30 Rock."

The "Andy Barker, P.I." comedy is good, too. Richter stars as a hapless accountant who has a career change after he is mistaken for a private detective. It will air in the 9:30 p.m. slot for five weeks, with "30 Rock," returning April 19.

post #183 of 1183 Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsArcade View Post

thanks to the inspired performance by Paul Reubens.

Wow. I thought Reubens was the WORST part of the show. His performance was so over the top it seemed like bad high school improv. To each his own, I guess.
post #184 of 1183 Old 02-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Wow. I thought Reubens was the WORST part of the show. His performance was so over the top it seemed like bad high school improv. To each his own, I guess.

i kept thinking...at least it's not martin short.
post #185 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
For '30 Rock,' decision time is nearing
Struggling NBC comedy is about to go on hiatus
By Diego Vasquez MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer Mar 1, 2007
The next two episodes of NBC's 30 Rock could help determine whether the critically beloved but low-rated sitcom will return for a second season.

Rock will go on a six-week hiatus after next week's episode, leaving the Thursday 9:30 p.m. timeslot to the new show Andy Barker, P.I., before returning in April. These two weeks are important because Rock will air against reruns of powerhouse timeslot competitors Grey's Anatomy on ABC and CSI on CBS.

Networks are in pilot mode now, beginning to narrow down which new and returning shows will make their fall schedule. NBC is only expected to pick up one of its freshman series for next fall, either Rock or Friday Night Lights. (A third rookie, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," looks all but dead.) "Rock" and "Lights" have similar season averages, and so NBC will be looking for growth potential when it decides which to bring back.

Airing against original episodes of Grey's and CSI the past month, Rock actually has been shrinking, not growing. When the show took over the Thursday slot in late November, its first three episodes against minimal competition averaged a 2.9 adults 18-49 rating.

Its three most recent episodes have averaged a 2.5, a decline of 14 percent. If it can grow again over its next two outings, that might help convince NBC the show has potential much like The Office, which was renewed two years ago with similarly low ratings.

It doesn't hurt that recently critics seem to have adopted Rock as the new Arrested Development, a similarly smart but low-rated show. Publications from TV Guide to Entertainment Weekly to countless blogs are championing its renewal.

The competition isn't entirely light tonight. Rock will face a new challenge in Fox's smash Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, which had the network's best debut in 18-49s in more than 14 years earlier this week.

In tonight's Rock, guest star LL Cool J plays a hip-hop producer who helps Jack (Alec Baldwin) launch a new line of champagne.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...icle_10480.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
All right. I can see cancelling Studio 60 because it doesn't appeal to the American Idol crowd. But they are making a huge mistake if they cancel 30 Rock. This show has enormous potential and is sometimes even more of a laugh than The Office.
post #187 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have begun to like 30 Rock, and last few weeks' episodes were hilarious. The highlight was last week when Tracy confesses to Doneghy "I don't have a sister !!" ROTFLMFAO !! Really really funny..

But, since I started to like this show, I guess it's death knell time, if history is anything to go by. They should at least change the timeslot when it returns and give it another shot.
post #188 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

30 Rock Sweep Ratings

The steady downward ratings trend is very disturbing. Here are the Nielsen numbers for the show during February:

Feb. 1 - 5.66 million viewers
Feb 8 - 5.09 million viewers
Feb 15 - 4.96 million viewers
Feb 22 - 4.58 million viewers

(All numbers are fast national ratings)

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

post #189 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

All right. I can see cancelling Studio 60 because it doesn't appeal to the American Idol crowd. But they are making a huge mistake if they cancel 30 Rock. This show has enormous potential and is sometimes even more of a laugh than The Office.

I agree. I expected to love Studio 60 and hate 30 Rock before the season started, but it turns out the opposite is true. 30 Rock is one of the few shows I actually look forward to watching each week.
post #190 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think 30 Rock has started to hit its stride. IMO, The Office is the gold standard right now, followed by Earl. 30 Rock is still a little uneven, but there have been some really good moments.

Alas, if 30 Rock gets beat by a show called "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader," it tells me the answer is NO for the vast majority of the viewing public.
post #191 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Too bad this show is in trouble, but I have to say I am not surprised that 30 Rock isn't doing well in the ratings. It has that problem of being humorous to me, that is usually the kiss of death for a show. This show has had the most funny moment I remember in a long time on a sitcom when they spoofed Deal or No Deal. I laughed so hard I cried
post #192 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtogMuncher View Post

Too bad this show is in trouble, but I have to say I am not surprised that 30 Rock isn't doing well in the ratings. It has that problem of being humorous to me, that is usually the kiss of death for a show. This show has had the most funny moment I remember in a long time on a sitcom when they spoofed Deal or No Deal. I laughed so hard I cried

Was that Josh's contract negotiations scene from a couple of weeks back? That was funny !! I should Christine Mr. Baldwin as "Smart Aleck" !!
post #193 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I think 30 Rock has started to hit its stride. IMO, The Office is the gold standard right now, followed by Earl. 30 Rock is still a little uneven, but there have been some really good moments.

I keep hearing how '30 Rock' is improving, and I tune in periodically to check, and I just don't see it. Take Baldwin off the show and you got nothing; he can't continue to carry it all by himself. 'Earl' and 'Office' are the gold standard in comedy right now, and '30 Rock' has a long way to go to get to that level, IMO. 'Scrubs' I don't even bother with because of the inexplicable lack of HD.
post #194 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I keep hearing how '30 Rock' is improving

It doesn't have to "improve." It's exactly how it wants to be right now, and that's how it's always been. If you don't like it, then you just don't like it.
post #195 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I keep hearing how '30 Rock' is improving, and I tune in periodically to check, and I just don't see it. Take Baldwin off the show and you got nothing; he can't continue to carry it all by himself. 'Earl' and 'Office' are the gold standard in comedy right now, and '30 Rock' has a long way to go to get to that level, IMO. 'Scrubs' I don't even bother with because of the inexplicable lack of HD.

So you don't watch Scrubs just because it is not in HD. If you were being serious, then you are missing a lot. Scrubs is just as funny, if not more than Earl and The Office. Earl is coming across as forced, and increasingly often so. We need more Crab Man. I find Earl and The Office to be amusing, but not "funny" like Friends, or Raymond or Seinfeld. I often find syndicated reruns of "Becker" and "Just Shoot Me" to be funnier than Earl and The Office ever were.

Just stating my opinion. YMMV and I'm cool with that.
post #196 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

It doesn't have to "improve." It's exactly how it wants to be right now, and that's how it's always been.

That's very zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I often find syndicated reruns of "Becker" and "Just Shoot Me" to be funnier than Earl and The Office ever were.

Ack! Ummm, yeah, that would definitely be a "YMMV".
post #197 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

30 Rock Sweep Ratings

Feb 28 - 4.58 million viewers

Source: Nielsen Media Research data

it was on last night? i thought it was a thursday show. was it a new episode or a re-run? not sure if my dvr caught it.
post #198 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I keep hearing how '30 Rock' is improving, and I tune in periodically to check, and I just don't see it. Take Baldwin off the show and you got nothing; he can't continue to carry it all by himself.

I agree with you that Alec Baldwin carries the show while Tina Fey plays the "straight man" most of the time. They could definitely use a few more interesting and funny second tier characters.
post #199 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRay View Post

it was on last night? i thought it was a thursday show. was it a new episode or a re-run? not sure if my dvr caught it.

The dates from fredfa's post must represent the numbers from the week before. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

It wasn't on last night, or the 7th, 14th, or 21st.
post #200 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
pretty awful episode tonight,and Tina's covering up more in these recent episodes. best episode so far was the Paul Reubens one,and maybe a few more after that one,but the show has resumed sucking,it'll probably be cancelled.
post #201 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

To each his own... I laughed non-stop this episode.

30 Rock is quickly becoming my most anticipated show each week.
post #202 of 1183 Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsArcade View Post

To each his own... I laughed non-stop this episode.

30 Rock is quickly becoming my most anticipated show each week.

Yes, this episode was hilarious.. especially Jack's new business. I was laughing throughout the episode, and very few shows have made me laugh this way.

BTW, Tina Fey looks much better with glasses on. There is something odd about her face without those glasses.

It looks like they are coming up with a "catch phrase" each episode, just like Seinfeld's keywords characterizing an episode. Last week was Tracy's "I like you so much, I want to take you behind the grade school and get you pregnant !!" . This week was "Red Dickulus will eat your family" !! Funny stuff..
post #203 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
This show is starting to find the right grove. Last night episode was one of the best all season.
post #204 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

Tina Fey looks much better with glasses on. There is something odd about her face without those glasses.

I thought the exact same thing last night.
post #205 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
maybe the glasses draw attention away from her scar.also her hair has been less than flattering in these recent episodes.
post #206 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

maybe the glasses draw attention away from her scar.also her hair has been less than flattering in these recent episodes.

I have to give Fey some props for allowing herself to be shown in some unflattering situations. She actually looks like her character is supposed to be an overworked style challenged writer.
post #207 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRay View Post

Sorry -- the numbers were right, the dates were pasted incorrectly. Fixed now.

post #208 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Last night (against repeats of "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI") the show was watched by 5.58 million viewers according to the Nielsen Media Research fast national ratings.

That was down 1.22 million viewers from the "Scrubs" lead-in, and "30 Rock" finished fourth in viewers as well as the 18-49 demo numbers.

post #209 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I agree with you that Alec Baldwin carries the show while Tina Fey plays the "straight man" most of the time. They could definitely use a few more interesting and funny second tier characters.

I've never cared much for Tracy Morgan before but he has been a revelation in this show, IMO. Flat out hilarious. And Kenneth (? The page) is also very good.
It's a shame so many shows aren't allowed to find their feet, would hate to see this cancelled as it looks like it could be very good indeed.
post #210 of 1183 Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Agree with lost of the posts here. My wife and I checked the show out at the beginning and thought it was pretty mediocre, but it's been getting better and better as the season has progressed. Last night had us laughing out loud.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page