30 Rock in HDTV on NBC! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking forward to this since I saw the first commercial. I've always thought Tracey Morgan was a funny sob and I like some of the other former SNL stars. I hope i'm not disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
First 10 minutes and so far THIS IS HORRIBLE. GE CONVECTION OVEN!!?? Talk about product placement. I had such high hopes.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #3 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And what do you know!? A commercial for a GE Convection oven!!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #4 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:22 PM

They should bring back Emeril if they wanna do product placement for Ovens lol..
post #5 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm sorry but it wasn't worth the hype

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #6 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A SNL skit that never ends. Not MSTV for me.

post #7 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
it was pretty bad.
post #8 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
they should've learned their lesson after the studio 60 abomination..

If the ratings are horrible, I hope this puts an end to these stupid "behind the scenes" type shows. Normal people aren't hollywood insiders that get all the "in" jokes.
post #9 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Terrible.
post #10 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Thank God it's Thursday tomorrow. Earl and The Office should save the otherwise horrible week for NBC.
post #11 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Damn, I didn't think it was that bad... only 30 minutes. Then again, I liked Lucky Louie.
post #12 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 08:38 PM

hmm, i think i'll give it another week or two to impress me...just because i had somewhat high hopes for it before seeing the pilot.
post #13 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Not very funny.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #14 of 1183 Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I was disappointed.

I like Tina Fey, but I'm still trying to figure out what part of her
lead-writer career was so great at SNL. She gets an awful lot of praise for one of the worst eras in SNL history.

The acting/writing was terrible, except Alec Baldwin, who gave it all he could, considering. Since I don't like him personally, I'm giving him plenty of praise.

Tracy Morgan, mediocre (I think I'm being VERY nice here) on SNL and doesn't transfer any better to primetime. He could have at least tried a different persona this time.

I think Tina should have stuck on a "group" production setting that allows her writing ability to stay overrated. This just shows her weakness to everyone.

I'll give it another shot, gotta give Alec two chances for trying.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #15 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
i thought there was some funny stuff. definitely potential to get better.

injecting aids into chicken mcnuggets is funny.

the cat lady is not.
post #16 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

I thought Tracey Morgan was the only funny thing about this episode. I liked his line about being on crack. Something like "That's racist, I'm straight up mentally ill!"
post #17 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

First 10 minutes and so far THIS IS HORRIBLE. GE CONVECTION OVEN!!?? Talk about product placement. I had such high hopes.

Tri-vection Oven - come on, get it right. GE spent millions on that 30-minute infomercial. There were enough funny moments - mostly delivered by Baldwin - for me to tune in for another week or so. But it wasn't as great as the critics made it seem. Without having seen the ratings, it appears we now know that the critics think much more highly of the inside tv shows then the general viewing public. For what it's worth though, 30 Rock far surpassed that Twenty Good Years garbage that followed. Lithgow and Tambor - comic geniuses - should be ashamed.
post #18 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I look back on it and I now see the following. Tina Fey has been the head writer for SNL for the last few years. SNL hasn't been funny. She writes a comedy show about a comedy show and it feels like an extended skit for said comedy show with sophomoric humor that isn't even sophomoric and product placement that is so obvious that they don't even try to hide it with Alec Baldwin doing a 15 sec commercial for a GE convection oven because he is "VP of Programming and Tri-vection Ovens." Product names being dropped everywhere you turn and this is suppose to be comedy?

How stupid does NBC think we are?

I really like Lorne Michaels and his shows but this one is a stinker. And Jane Krakowski? What a waste. I really expected better than what I saw. And that is a shame.

Prediction - gone by 3 shows. 4 tops.

post #19 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Tri-vection Oven - come on, get it right. GE spent millions on that 30-minute infomercial. There were enough funny moments - mostly delivered by Baldwin - for me to tune in for another week or so. But it wasn't as great as the critics made it seem. Without having seen the ratings, it appears we now know that the critics think much more highly of the inside tv shows then the general viewing public. For what it's worth though, 30 Rock far surpassed that Twenty Good Years garbage that followed. Lithgow and Tambor - comic geniuses - should be ashamed.

Well, I think some are perhaps missing the pointed humor of the jab at GE and all things going commercial. There is comic potential in a nuts and bolts bean counter CEO who has mastered the ins and outs of a utilitarian item, being then on that basis suddenly promoted to running a hot comedy show. This was a jab at GE's almost preposterous diversity of product. AND possibly GE insisted on at least getting some product placement out of the deal, so much the better for them; they are not evil for having created something useful.

Another layer of the gag was the great great Alec Baldwin doing a riff of his master commander salesman/corporate hatchet man from Glengarry. I love Baldwin -- just find him great, anytime, anywhere.

Even T. Morgan had his niche and did not completely violate a sense of his belonging here (which would be my first natural reaction upon hearing he was in anything).

I thought it was delightful, best Tina Fey stuff I've seen definitely. I even laughed at parts, but perhaps even more importantly, I realized alot of the other stuff was funny too -- clever, comedic (I rarely actually laugh at comedies and possibly even more rarely identify them as containing funny stuff).

As for Twenty Good Years.......come on, I didn't even set my VCR for the additional 30 minutes -- now how hard would that have been? If you don't like it in the first 30 seconds, you can always go straight to the next item up.....but NO, you had to know it was not worth even that. So since I can't really say for sure, maybe it actually WAS brilliant -- HAH! Now that would be a laugh.
post #20 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

I thought it sucked. Nowhere near the level of Studio 60. This one will die the death quickly. Unfortunately I much preferred her previous effort, Sons and Daughters.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #21 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 AM

Studio 60 has been a self absorbed focus on behind the scenes TV drama, which for me has been a plodding snooze fest. The supposed comics on that show look like they would be tarred and feathered at any local comedy club. I see this series dying a slow death soon.

I didn't hold out much hope for 30 Rock after hearing the industry talk about it, but it actually had me laughing a few times and smiling throughout the rest of it. It comes no where close to meeting the Seinfeld/Office/Earl standards, but has potential because we know the characters are supposed to be characatures (sp?).

The 20 Years show that followed next I turned off after the opening skit on the racquet ball court before the Titles. That scene was so painfully not funny (laugh track and all) that I couldn't force myself to watch any more. What were these morons who put on this show thinking putting such a lame opening on a new series? What was NBC thinking?
post #22 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Did people really not understand that the bit about the Trivection oven was making fun of product placement?

Or that the cat lady sketch was supposed to be bad? I mean, come on, all of the characters kept saying, "This skit is awful. Weren't we supposed to cut it?" What more does the show have to do to make it clear?

I liked the show. The part about buying up all the hot dogs had me laughing, especially when everyone she handed them to just threw them away.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #23 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was shockingly bad. As one who yearns for the return of sitcoms and the banishment of reality TV back from whence it came, I had high hopes but both 30 Rock and 20 Good Years were horribly bad and misguided. 20 Good Years in particular was absolute dretch.
These along with Help Me Help You show perhaps why the sitcom is dead. Nobody seems to be able to write a funny 30 minutes of TV anymore. Thankfully we have Earl, The Office and reruns of Becker.
post #24 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 AM

I was sick of Tina's "What?!?" smirk after the first 10 minutes.

As far as 20GY's... if you have to do a nut-shot to get a laugh in the first 2 minutes of the show, you know it is going to be bad.
post #25 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Did people really not understand that the bit about the Trivection oven was making fun of product placement?

Or that the cat lady sketch was supposed to be bad? I mean, come on, all of the characters kept saying, "This skit is awful. Weren't we supposed to cut it?" What more does the show have to do to make it clear?

I liked the show. The part about buying up all the hot dogs had me laughing, especially when everyone she handed them to just threw them away.

Thank you for that, Josh Z. I agree. Not only was the trivection bit about product placement, but Baldwin's Glengarry persona and the inanity of putting this GE corporate shillmeister at the helm of another so impossibly divergent GE product, viz., Fey's comedy show -- in that, it was a skewering of giant corporate mega-businesses that swap out CEOs like rotating Empire Kings to apply capitalism to even the ephemera of comedy -- there is no acknowledged distinction.

I liked that Baldwin then brought in some off the wall flake on a fluke and found his non-sequitor on air improvization hilarious -- I mean stuff like this gets on the air somehow all the time, Tina Fey should know -- SOMEONE found the real-life Tracy Morgan (and Horatio Sans for that matter), funny -- why not this imbecile who looks just like (and acts quite a bit like) Tracy Morgan?

Anyway, it occurs to me you might just know a thing or two if you shared my enjoyment of the show.
post #26 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 AM

This show was hilarious. I would love to know what you people actually laugh at, just to get some perpective as to what kind of (if any) sense of humor you all possess.
post #27 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

This show was hilarious. I would love to know what you people actually laugh at, just to get some perpective as to what kind of (if any) sense of humor you all possess.

Earl, Becker, The Office, prefer the British but the American one is getting there, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Office Space, Clerks.
post #28 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't understand what everyone is talking about. The show was hilarious. I set my DVR to record to whole season as soon as it ended.
post #29 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You hit the nail on the head. I found these points pretty obvious. I was entertained for the most part. Alec Baldwin was great. I wish Rachel Dratch was kept as the lead actress of the show-within-the-show, though: she would be funnier in the role than the person NBC execs replaced her with.
post #30 of 1183 Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Earl, Becker, The Office, prefer the British but the American one is getting there, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Office Space, Clerks.

Drink! Feck! Girls!

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page